So something is going down between Venezuela and Guyana...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Associated Press

As AP puts it, the rundown of what's going on:

-Venezuela claims that in 1899, Guyana stole land from them in the Essequibo region, where oil was discovered in 2015

-Venezuela claims the Americans and Britain colluded in such a conspiracy

-Guyana claims the current accord is legal.

-Venezuela's oil reserves have plummeted, while Guyana's have Boomed.

-Nicolas' Maduro has threatened military action.

So, will Venezuela, whom reminder is backed by Russia and China, suffer the backlash Israel (and by extension, western allies such as the US and UK) received over Palestine? I somehow have my doubts...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Oooof, not a fair fight. Just did some very rough research; Venezuela has a population of 28+ million with a standing army of 110,000 (with another 200,000 paramilitary); while Guyana is about 800,000, with a standing military of 3,400.

If Guyana is to stand any sort of chance, this would be a war of allies, or hopefully a matter of diplomacy with no conflict at all. Venezuela vs Whomever Stands Up for Guyana.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#3 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Oooof, not a fair fight. Just did some very rough research; Venezuela has a population of 28+ million with a standing army of 110,000 (with another 200,000 paramilitary); while Guyana is about 800,000, with a standing military of 3,400.

If Guyana is to stand any sort of chance, this would be a war of allies, or hopefully a matter of diplomacy with no conflict at all. Venezuela vs Whomever Stands Up for Guyana.

Brazil is an ally of Guyana, so I think that in of itself is quite the deterrent for Venezuela.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Brazil, the US and a few others are standing up for Guyana. Brazil is the largest power in South America.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15949 Posts

USA will definitely joining, this seemed more like a CIA operation tbh. Prelude to killing the Venezuelan president I am guessing.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

So, will Venezuela, whom reminder is backed by Russia and China, suffer the backlash Israel (and by extension, western allies such as the US and UK) received over Palestine? I somehow have my doubts...

What backlash?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

Venezuela made some grave miscalculations years back under Hugo Chavez when oil prices spiked, they started spending like the price wouldn't ever go down and when sanctions were passed on Russia due to their initial Ukraine invasion which took Crimea, oil prices plummeted because it was one of the only major commodities Russia could still export. Venezuela financial prospects with their oil and reserves took a major hit as a result and it's not been the same for them since.

Anyhow, seas of oil often overlap national borders, one only need drill on their land to drain the reserve of oil sitting beneath both countries, I can see why one might be concerned it puts one of their national resources at risk but at same time they have to admit that it's not all theirs either. The Iraq invasion of Kuwait started over a similar dispute.

Loading Video...
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
Loading Video...