Switching from PS5 console gaming to Rog Ally Extreme: Is it a good decision?

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

Hi,

I have been a console gamer since 1989 when my dad bought me an Atari 2600. I have owned every generation console except the first and the last one.I bought a PS5 this year to play the exclusives.

However, after careful consideration, I am now thinking about switching to portable/dock PC gaming (Rog Ally Extreme; $700) instead of buying the next generation console PS6 in 2028.

Here are the reasons:

1. The exclusive PS5 library is not that attractive anymore. Apart from Spiderman 2 and FF XVII Rebirth not many attractive exclusive titles unlike the last gen. I think companies don't want to limit to one console.

2. A lot more choices for PC gamers. Asus Rog Ally can even play all Nintendo games through YuZu (superior to Switch) and play EPIC, GOG, and even games from the dark web (superior to Steam Deck) at superior FPS.

3. Digital games becoming the norm (AW2 and BG3).

4. Portable so can play anywhere. Decent battery life of 1:30 to 3 hours satisfies my requirements. You can connect directly to AC or powerbank to charge and play.

5. SSD can be easily changed.

6. Can let you play and work by connecting a Keyboard and Mouse.

7. Consume a lot less power than gaming desktop PCs and laptops at 65 Watt. But plays games similar to GTX1650 with recent AAA titles at decent framerates.

8. Don't have to sell a kidney to buy a gaming rig costing $2500+.

What do you guys think about my strategic intent? Is it a stupid move or a good move switching from PS5 to Asus Rog Ally/Lenovo Go? Your reply will influence my decision, so I hope you guys share your views wisely.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

I own both the PS5 and the ROG Ally, and I love both, but there is no way I'd opt for the Ally over the PS5 or PS6. Don't get me wrong, I do love my Ally, but it's a huge performance hit. If you're not into multiplayer online then sure I guess, but honestly if you can pull it off I'd personally do both.

I keep my Ally hooked up to my TV most of the time anyways to get max performance, and playing PC games is awesome, but it's not a straight up one to one comparison by any means.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

Guess, I will budget for both. I think Ally can replace my work laptop (Intel Iris even with i7 12 edition and 16GB+ ram is definitely not for gaming).

I don't play multiplayer as I had always found them boring for some reason (exception being Rocket League).

The benefit of portable gaming and playing AAA titles at descent frame rates make Ally a huge plus.

Also, I am a conservationist (a rarity among gamers) and running my entire house with free solar power. Ally can help me to enjoy AAA PC titles while minimizing my carbon footprint. Gaming PCs are a huge electricity bog that my solar setup can't handle for 3-5 hours continuous gaming.

Still, I am cautiously optimistic about PS. Not many Sony exclusive gems this gen as in the past, which was the main reason for owning the platform. They may have become complacent or thinking that backward compatibility will cover the draught.