Was the 1969 moon landing Real or Fake.

• 99 results
SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Was the 1969 moon landing Real or Fake. (45 votes)

Of course it was real, I seen it! USA first on the moon! USA USA.. Dont believe in conspiracy theories 67%
Nah, that s*** look super fake, No way we were able to do that in 1969 and not go back.. 22%
not sure *Big Shug* 0%
Earth is Flat dummy 4%
Master Chiefs metal rear end 7%

Its a conspiracy that's been floated my whole life. used to argue with a good friend about it all the time back in the day. Used to think it was for sure real, now leaning more towards... might have been fake..

It is super weird we never went back, also the footage from 1969 isn't the most convincing to me (granted it was back in 1969.. cameras weren't all that...) but again 1969... how did we get to the moon but hadn't these bad of cameras...

what you guys think? This was during a time where multiple countries were competing to get there first, was it a farce? or the real deal?

• 
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#51 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts
@Jag85 said:

Any historian, scientist or mathematician knows that there's no such thing as 100% probability for any historical event or scientific fact. There's always room for doubt. That forms the basis of the scientific method.

But just because there's a 1% probability for doubt, that doesn't give conspiracy theorists an excuse to go off the deep end and assume every major historical event was faked.

Yup, the room for doubt here is about as high as the room for doubt we have for evolution or gravity.

I like to say the room for doubt is there, but it is infinitesimally small. Or lim(x->0)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#52 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19617 Posts

@Maroxad: Yeah, that's kind of my point. If there was no longer any room for doubt in science, then it would cease to be science. So the room for doubt always needs to be there, no matter how small the probability. But that's something for trained scientists to question, not random laymen who have no expertise in science.

Regarding the Moon landings, the probability of it being faked is way less than 1% for sure. Even if conspiracy theorists believe America faked the video footage, we have third-party scientific evidence that there was human presence on the Moon:

Third-party evidence for Apollo Moon landings

Space missions from other nations, not just America, have demonstrated corroborating evidence for the Apollo missions.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts
@Jag85 said:

Any historian, scientist or mathematician knows that there's no such thing as 100% probability for any historical event or scientific fact. There's always room for doubt. That forms the basis of the scientific method.

But just because there's a 1% probability for doubt, that doesn't give conspiracy theorists an excuse to go off the deep end and assume every major historical event was faked.

While that's technically true, by that logic you could say the same thing about literally any point in history and invalidate the concept of reality, just because no events in the past can be 100% proven.

I could say that the day November 12 2023 was a time-skipped day and it never actually happened. You can't 100% prove it that is a false statement, because you can't bring it to the present to demonstrate it.

Yet I'm pretty sure enough observational and empirical evidence exists to show that the likelihood yesterday did exist is so close to 100%, that it's not really worth considering the probability that it didn't.

Conspiracies like this should have the same level of non-consideration. Until such a time as actual solid evidence can show something contrary to common sense, the likelihood of their truth is so low as to not be worth validation as a possibility.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Jag85

@Vaasman: Sure, I can see how that can be misconstrued by tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists to peddle all kinds of insane conspiracy theories, from the Flat Earth to flying saucers.

For practical reasons, I can see why many would argue that we should dismiss all conspiracy theories and not give them any credence. But at the same time, we should be careful not to turn science into a dogma. It should always be open to questioning.

However, the people doing the questioning should at least be qualified to do so. It doesn't make any sense for some random Internet influencer who has no qualifications in a field to be peddling conspiracy theories in that field. It's the job of a scientist to question scientific theories and facts, not a random layperson with no science qualifications.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts
@Jag85 said:

@Vaasman: Sure, I can see how that can be misconstrued by tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists to peddle all kinds of insane conspiracy theories, from the Flat Earth to flying saucers.

For practical reasons, I can see why many would argue that we should dismiss all conspiracy theories and not give them any credence. But at the same time, we should be careful not to turn science into a dogma. It should always be open to questioning.

It isn't about science being dogma.

We shouldn't give credence to conspiracy theories because none of the inquiries and skepticism they proclaim to hold are made in good faith. They stem from predetermined beliefs and biases predicated on ignorance, institutional distrust, contrarianism, intellectual dishonesty, and should be discounted as such, because if you dignify them in addressment, you legitimize what drives them.

Conspiracy theories are borne from a psychological issue and need, not from an epistemological or evidentiary one. Facts and evidence will never convince these people, whether it be about 9/11, the moon landing, JFK, election denialism, whatever it may be. You can shove explicit evidence in their face and they'll deny it, because evidence and fact is not the problem. The individual's psychological need is.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@Vaasman said:

While that's technically true, by that logic you could say the same thing about literally any point in history and invalidate the concept of reality, just because no events in the past can be 100% proven.

I could say that the day November 12 2023 was a time-skipped day and it never actually happened. You can't 100% prove it that is a false statement, because you can't bring it to the present to demonstrate it.

Yet I'm pretty sure enough observational and empirical evidence exists to show that the likelihood yesterday did exist is so close to 100%, that it's not really worth considering the probability that it didn't.

Conspiracies like this should have the same level of non-consideration. Until such a time as actual solid evidence can show something contrary to common sense, the likelihood of their truth is so low as to not be worth validation as a possibility.

I think this is why sometimes the "intellectual elite" can sometimes appear arrogant, among other reasons.

These levels of "non-consideration" are so low they should be dismissed outright, because the second you comment "oh well of course there's a 0.000000000000000000000001% chance..." the crazies will pounce on it.

So they just say "no" or "you're stupid to believe it" or something along those lines because their mind is rooted in rational thought, whereas the mind of the conspiracy theorists is rooted in belief. They want to believe that minute chance is actually likely without even considering all the variables and perfect conditions necessary for it to happen.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Jag85

@MirkoS77:

That's kind of the point of my last paragraph:

@Jag85 said:

However, the people doing the questioning should at least be qualified to do so. It doesn't make any sense for some random Internet influencer who has no qualifications in a field to be peddling conspiracy theories in that field. It's the job of a scientist to question scientific theories and facts, not a random layperson with no science qualifications.

This is how you weed out bad-faith actors from good-faith actors. Scientific facts should be open to questioning... from actual qualified scientists, publishing their findings ideally in peer-reviewed journals. The online influencers peddling conspiracy theories are not scientists, so they're just talking out of their arse and in no position to be doubting the work of scientists who know what they're talking about.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Science and history are two different things.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MirkoS77

@Jag85 said:

@MirkoS77:

That's kind of the point of my last paragraph:

@Jag85 said:

This is how you weed out bad-faith actors from good-faith actors. Scientific facts should be open to questioning... from actual qualified scientists, publishing their findings ideally in peer-reviewed journals. The online influencers peddling conspiracy theories are not scientists, so they're just talking out of their arse and in no position to be doubting the work of scientists who know what they're talking about.

Right, which is why I excluded that paragraph. The main bulk of CT's suspicions and arguments are based on such fundamental misunderstandings of basic science that it would never get to the point of being peer reviewed, but can be dismissed before it'd ever reach the point of any significant scientific discipline or those trained in it. Such extremes are not required.

But it's aside the point: that it wouldn't make a difference to these people regardless in the debunking was placed in the hands of good faith actors. That would in fact only make it worse. They'd simply attribute experts and their determinations to their inherent distrust of institutionalism, those in positions of power, the illuminati and scheming shadowy figures behind the scenes pulling the levers of global politics, etc.....which is where conspiracy theories come from.

Point being: you can't use good-faith actors focusing on evidence and facts to address bad-faith ones focusing on distrust and emotional/psychological causes, because those causes will discount those facts and evidence before it even comes to bear. It's true for election denialism, it's true for the moon landing.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jag85

@MirkoS77: I get the point you're making. That was more-or-less my own position a couple years ago. If academic experts debate with crackpot conspiracy theorists, it's often a waste of time and can even backfire by legitimizing the conspiracy theorists. I understand that very well.

However, ever since the COVID pandemic, conspiracy theorists have become increasingly influential. They've built up very large followings, whereas actual scientists can't pull large audiences like that. While it was easy to ignore and dismiss conspiracy theorists before, it's pretty hard to ignore them nowadays.

I think the big psychological issue at play here is the distrust of government, not necessarily the distrust of science. This is why scientific institutions have traditionally been kept separate from government, so scientific research can be conducted without political interference. The CT crowd are doubting the Moon landings because they distrust the US government, hence why it's important to mention that it's corroborated by third-party evidence from outside the US (including enemy nations).

Avatar image for deactivated-661eae767772c
deactivated-661eae767772c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-661eae767772c
Member since 2022 • 245 Posts

@Jag85: "The CT crowd are doubting the Moon landings because they distrust the US government, hence why it's important to mention that it's corroborated by third-party evidence from outside the US (including enemy nations)."

This is a point I routinely bring up when I get into it with these nutters. If the moon landing was faked, enemy nations would know and it would be the perfect ammo to discredit the US.

Now some of them are reaching hard and are trying to say the USSR and US were in on the fake.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jag85

@statisticalpc: I haven't been following the Moon landing conspiracies... But who actually believes the USA and USSR were in on the faked Moon landings? I haven't seen the CT crowd take it that far yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-661eae767772c

@Jag85: I haven't seen a unified statement from them, but I've spoken with a few individuals who believe the Bolsheviks are secretly in charge of the United States and that was their "evidence" that the Soviet Union was in on it.

The conspiracy rabbit hole goes to places I probably couldn't imagine even if I was strung out on PCP.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Maroxad
@Vaasman said:
@Jag85 said:

His point is that unlike mathematicians; scientists and historians do not have the privilege of (mathematical) proof, they only have evidence. That is why he didn't mention mathematical facts. But this tiny window for doubt does not invalidate these historical events or historical facts at all, in fact, having room for doubt or falsifiability is CRUCIAL to anything scientifically related. And is one of the ways we distinguish pseudo sciences from real sciences.

Unfortunately, tinfoil hatters use this tiny window, exaggerate them, and try to use sciences honesty as a weapon against it. If you do mention the limitations of your evidence they might just think that you literally refuted your own argument, call you an idiot and block you on Twitter (speaking from experience here).

But the fact is, these cranks would need exceptional evidence to prove that vaccines cause autism, evolution isn't real, climate change isn't anthropogenic, the moon landing was staged, COVID originated from a lab or that Jordan B. Peterson isn't a quack.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Of course it was real and it's not even worth discussing. It's one of the many conspiracy theories that have occupied a lot of people's heads, and it's actually one the the more benign ones. Like someone else noted we used to just laugh at those idiots, but now they managed to make it to legitimate discussions. I mean, not really, but a lot of normal people make the mistake of arguing with conspiracy theorists, making them, and their loser followers, feel worthy. It works the same as the basic right wing vote fishing strategy - you may be a loser but your vote counts the same as everyone else's, so let's **** things up because, hey, we can.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MirkoS77
@Jag85 said:

@MirkoS77: I get the point you're making. That was more-or-less my own position a couple years ago. If academic experts debate with crackpot conspiracy theorists, it's often a waste of time and can even backfire by legitimizing the conspiracy theorists. I understand that very well.

However, ever since the COVID pandemic, conspiracy theorists have become increasingly influential. They've built up very large followings, whereas actual scientists can't pull large audiences like that. While it was easy to ignore and dismiss conspiracy theorists before, it's pretty hard to ignore them nowadays.

I think the big psychological issue at play here is the distrust of government, not necessarily the distrust of science. This is why scientific institutions have traditionally been kept separate from government, so scientific research can be conducted without political interference. The CT crowd are doubting the Moon landings because they distrust the US government, hence why it's important to mention that it's corroborated by third-party evidence from outside the US (including enemy nations).

I agree, but disagree it was Covid, but instead the rise of Trumpism that has proliferated disinformation, CTs, and institutional distrust to the degree it's gotten. Since even before his rise to the presidency, Trump has been incessantly vomiting up his delusions and attacking and undermining anything he deems an authority so he can substitute whatever narrative he invents that advantages him and his interests in their place. He couldn't care less as to the broader ramifications, hell, I doubt he's even astute enough to be cognizant of them.

We see the results. Not only government, but institutional and distrust of the elites (which, unfortunately, science falls under) are near at all-time highs. It's no surprise when a demagogic CT gains a platform of such power and influence that they hold such anchor.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Jag85

@MirkoS77: Distrust of the government and political elites is a very rational position to hold, one that many academics hold. However, the difference with much of the CT crowd is that they distrust even academics, not just the government. In their worldview, academics are in cahoots with the government. In reality, most academic institutions such as universities have been independent from the government since their inception. So it's just an excuse to dismiss any academics debunking their theories.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

lol. the moon is like 240,000 miles away, not 26,000. if you're going to jump on board a crazy conspiracy, at least get your basic fucking facts right..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By deactivated-661eae767772c

@comp_atkins: Ha! I didn't make it that far into the video the first time I watched it.

"At 26,000 miles away traveling at 500mph (cause thats how fast jets fly) it would have taken like 50hrs to get up on that bitch. Shiiiiiit, it only took them 30 mins."

>.>

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Jag85

The top speed of the Apollo 11 ship was recorded at over 25,000 miles per hour. Some of the CT crowd might find that hard to believe since it wouldn't be possible on Earth. However, this is in outer space. You can't reach such a speed on Earth because of strong gravity and air resistance. There's far less gravity and no air resistance in outer space, so there's nothing stopping the ship from reaching over 25,000 mph.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8316 Posts
@Jag85 said:

When the vaccines first came out, people were going around telling people "if you don't get vaccinated you can transmit covid to others, if you get vaccinated you can't spread the virus"

I told people that wasn't true, it doesn't stop transmission, I've never been attacked by so many people. Everyone acted like I was a crazy conspiracist anti vaxxer just because I was telling them a basic truth.

It gets even weirder, we had politicians saying you couldn't pass the virus if your vaccinated, you had people on mainstream news saying if you got vaccinated you can't give the virus to others.

So many people were blatantly lying about the effectiveness of the vaccine, especially in the first 6 months of it being available... alot of people seem memory holed, like they don't remember this time at all, but I remember it very clearly.

Turned out I wasn't a conspiracy theorist at all for saying this, I was correct, but most people were just listening to the news and TV and calling me a liar because some fat head told them on TV they won't pass covid to others if they get vaccinated.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SargentD
@comp_atkins said:

lol. the moon is like 240,000 miles away, not 26,000. if you're going to jump on board a crazy conspiracy, at least get your basic fucking facts right..

It's 2 guys cracking up making jokes and watching the moon landing footage on a YouTube channel

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#74  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

@MirkoS77, @Jag85

My take on this is at a more fundamental level. I think we live in an era where technology, politics, pop culture and society in general has trained an entire generation of people to expect certitude and instant results, see everything in terms of simplistic and binary black-and-white, while fearing and distrusting uncertainty and delays.

Unfortunately, that's not how science or reality works. Science is an continual process that refines and improves itself over time, and anyone who knows a thing about Quantum Mechanics knows that this universe runs on probability. Quick results requires mountains of hard work behind the scenes and certitude doesn't actually exist; only overwhelming probability.

Add on top the influence of the internet, which gives people access to almost unlimited information at their fingertips but does not adequately equip them to interpret and parse that information critically, and you have the Dunning-Kruger Brigade who think they know better than people who studied these topics all their lives just because they "researched" it for 5 minutes on YouTube.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By deactivated-661eae767772c

@sargentd: I never once heard someone (credible) say that the COVID-19 vaccines will "stop the spread". Not once. I was told the COVID-19 vaccine would minimize the impacts if you caught it. "Herd Immunity" is what the vaccine aimed to accomplish.

Regarding these statements:

"I told people that wasn't true, it doesn't stop transmission, I've never been attacked by so many people. Everyone acted like I was a crazy conspiracist anti vaxxer just because I was telling them a basic truth.

It gets even weirder, we had politicians saying you couldn't pass the virus if your vaccinated, you had people on mainstream news saying if you got vaccinated you can't give the virus to others."

In an attempt to not come across as insulting: It is quite easy for most of the population outside of the scientific community to conflate, misinterpret, rearrange and not understand definitions. Most of the population does not exist inside of the scientific community. That includes newscasters, politicians, pundits, propagandists, Donald Trump, etc.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2146 Posts

Just idiots trying to feel special by being in the minority denying reality, along with the usual anti-USA shit (denying American achievements is anti American, just like denying American problems is not patriotism).

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SargentD
@statisticalpc said:

@sargentd: I never once heard someone (credible) say that the COVID-19 vaccines will "stop the spread". Not once. I was told the COVID-19 vaccine would minimize the impacts if you caught it. "Herd Immunity" is what the vaccine aimed to accomplish.

"I told people that wasn't true, it doesn't stop transmission, I've never been attacked by so many people. Everyone acted like I was a crazy conspiracist anti vaxxer just because I was telling them a basic truth.

It gets even weirder, we had politicians saying you couldn't pass the virus if your vaccinated, you had people on mainstream news saying if you got vaccinated you can't give the virus to others."

In an attempt to not come across as insulting: It is quite easy for most of the population outside of the scientific community to conflate, misinterpret, rearrange and not understand definitions. Most of the population does not exist inside of the scientific community. That includes newscasters, politicians, pundits, propagandists, Donald Trump, etc.

Don't forget fauci, head guy at the NIH

Loading Video...

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SargentD

@statisticalpc: the most ridiculous conspiracy theory I can think of in recent years is that Covid 19 came from a wet market and not the Coronavirus lab in Wuhan.

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-661eae767772c

@sargentd said:
@statisticalpc said:

Again, he's speaking to the lowest common denominator. The science behind vaccines is to build your body's efficiency at fighting off a given virus (using antibodies). Antibodies are created inside your system by being exposed to a virus. Being "immune" means your body is able to quickly identify the virus and attack and destroy it before you suffer the symptoms. Immunity is not a forcefield.

I imagine his statements are based around the timeline a given vaccinated body's exposure to the virus and its ability to destroy the virus before coming in contact with another person.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-661eae767772c

@sargentd: "the most ridiculous conspiracy theory I can think of in recent years is that Covid 19 came from a wet market and not the Coronavirus lab in Wuhan."

Has either scenario been proven yet? I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to use a wet market to test a newly engineered virus, but I will not say one way or the other without facts.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 SargentD

@statisticalpc said:

@sargentd: "the most ridiculous conspiracy theory I can think of in recent years is that Covid 19 came from a wet market and not the Coronavirus lab in Wuhan."

Has either scenario been proven yet? I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to use a wet market to test a newly engineered virus, but I will not say one way or the other without facts.

take off the tin foil hat, it didn't come from a wet market it came from the Corona virus lab in Wuhan

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 SargentD
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

@statisticalpc: Good conversation

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

@sargentd: Agreed 💯. One professor told in a video interview that NASA couldn't go to the moon because it lost the technology to land on the moon again. Wtf?

Moon landing is the biggest lie by NASA and the lying US government, and most noobs have fallen hook, line, and winker to the charade.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

Vaccine is also a government conspiracy to keep people sick. I never got vaccinated and never got sick during and after the peak COVID period. Most people who I know who got the jab became sick and nearly died.

I don't even vaccinate my two kids, and they they are happy, energetic, and get sick less often than the noobs who get their kids vaccinated.

Whenever someone preaches me the vaccine mantra, I tell them to stop wasting my time and get lost.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Maroxad
@MirkoS77 said:

I agree, but disagree it was Covid, but instead the rise of Trumpism that has proliferated disinformation, CTs, and institutional distrust to the degree it's gotten. Since even before his rise to the presidency, Trump has been incessantly vomiting up his delusions and attacking and undermining anything he deems an authority so he can substitute whatever narrative he invents that advantages him and his interests in their place. He couldn't care less as to the broader ramifications, hell, I doubt he's even astute enough to be cognizant of them.

We see the results. Not only government, but institutional and distrust of the elites (which, unfortunately, science falls under) are near at all-time highs. It's no surprise when a demagogic CT gains a platform of such power and influence that they hold such anchor.

I would argue anti-intellectualism and anti-science in the US dates back to the beginning of the country. Even back 200 years ago, there was a medical freedom movement. With one of the founding fathers, Dr Benjamin Rush being a staunch advocate for medical freedom and wanting to enshrine medical freedom in the constitution. This however this movement was more or less hushed down following following the Civil War.

While Benjamin Rush had good intents no doubt. His vision, and his ideals came to be more or less exploited in the early 20th century. Once the issue surrounding slavery had more or less been settled. A movement lead by homeopaths, osteopaths, eclectics medicine practitioners and adherents of the Christian Science movement revived his message and medical movement, albeit for nefarious purposes. As in, legitimize their pseudoscientific methods and scams.

Of course, the success of vaccines made the movement really hard to rally behind, so for most of the 20th century they really lacked any real cause. Several dangerous diseases were effectively wiped out, this all changed with that paper published in the Lancet which linked autism to vaccinations. The messaging of the movement changed, from medical freedom to vaccines cause autism. And this became the rallying cry for a decade or so. But alas, the paper and science was so throroughly debunked and removed from the journal. That the anti-vax movement have more or less reverted back to the old message. One of medical freedom.

@statisticalpc said:

Right now the overwhelming majority of evidence is consistent with the virus being zoonotic in some way. With the Wet Market being a possible origin where this spread.

But you know how the tinfoil hatters are like. You give them an inch, and they take a mile.

Which is a damn shame, because we had a golden opportunity to discuss our relationship with food and medicine from COVID 19. But these conspiracy minded folks, turned it all into something ridiculous. It also sets a bad precedent for future incidents. As if scientists and physicians didn't have it bad enough already. Harassment among medical scientists and physicians is at an all time high. Now these poorly supported claims are thrown in the mix.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 comp_atkins

@sargentd said:
@comp_atkins said:

It's 2 guys cracking up making jokes and watching the moon landing footage on a YouTube channel

referring to owen who made the original statement. not the guys making fun of her. point stands though, if you're going to have an obviously controversial opinion on something, at least get the basic, BASIC level info right.

like saying 9/11 was faked, all 4 planes that hit the towers were actually secretly landed in canada.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#87 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

I remember having a discussion with my flat earth coworker about the moon landing being fake, he was seriously like "how are space crafts supposed to fly through space if there's not even any air?"

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 comp_atkins

@statisticalpc said:
@sargentd said:
@statisticalpc said:

Again, he's speaking to the lowest common denominator. The science behind vaccines is to build your body's efficiency at fighting off a given virus (using antibodies). Antibodies are created inside your system by being exposed to a virus. Being "immune" means your body is able to quickly identify the virus and attack and destroy it before you suffer the symptoms. Immunity is not a forcefield.

I imagine his statements are based around the timeline a given vaccinated body's exposure to the virus and its ability to destroy the virus before coming in contact with another person.

let's not relitigate this.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#89 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

@lamprey263:

Let's be fair, Earth being round was not common knowledge until... ...3rd Century BCE. Can't expect someone who's mentally stuck in the time the Seleucid Empire was still around to understand modern physics.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 comp_atkins

@danishanwar said:

Vaccine is also a government conspiracy to keep people sick. I never got vaccinated and never got sick during and after the peak COVID period. Most people who I know who got the jab became sick and nearly died.

I don't even vaccinate my two kids, and they they are happy, energetic, and get sick less often than the noobs who get their kids vaccinated.

Whenever someone preaches me the vaccine mantra, I tell them to stop wasting my time and get lost.

we need better trolls here.

this is just too blatant.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Maroxad

@comp_atkins: Hard to tell. Probably a troll, but there are people who sincerely believe that stupid nonsense.

Hell, I have gotten laughed at for citing medical papers and institutions. But his prose has to be satire.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By deactivated-661eae767772c
@danishanwar said:

@sargentd: Agreed 💯. One professor told in a video interview that NASA couldn't go to the moon because it lost the technology to land on the moon again. Wtf?

Moon landing is the biggest lie by NASA and the lying US government, and most noobs have fallen hook, line, and winker to the charade.

Are you FUCKING high? The US sent 6 crewed missions to the moon between 1969 and 1972. Why go to the moon again?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#93 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

It would be harder and require even more impossibly ridiculous feats and an even bigger conspiracy across people and countries all around the planet to fake the moon landing than it would be to simply land on the moon.

The reason we haven’t been back is because congress decided not to pay money for it, since “the US won the space race”.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#94 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@danishanwar said:

Your either trolling or incredibly dumb.... which is it??

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

After coming back to this thread, I want to say this. Going to the Moon after hitting orbit in space can take 3/4 days of flight from Earth to the Moon is why I always believe NASA doesn't want to go back until we're able to develop faster ships to fly and not drifting space speeds. No, I'm not talking about FTL (Faster then Light) travel (though that has always been debate in science for centuries) but trying to bypass those limitations and better life support systems.

So if you want to see Humanity go further into the stars, well, we need better space ships that aren't limited in terms of flight, we need to go faster, not waiting days or months, (or even years) just to go from Earth to the Moon or Mars.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 697 Posts

@sargentd: the answers to the poll are so loaded. It's like you are telling people what to answer.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Nirgal

@davillain: also, other than space x, progress in development of rockets have been painfully slow.

And unless starship is developed successfully, there won't be any rocket anywhere near the power of the Saturn v for a long time.

That is one of the main 2 reasons there are no space flights to the moon current.

The other is also very obvious: NASA used to be massively financed during the Apollo program.

That money is long gone and Saturn level rockets are way to expensive to support without that level of financing.

So unless starship succeeds and these kind of extremely large rockets become way cheaper, we won't be seeing missions like that for a long time.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Maroxad

What is interesting to me however, is how many of these libertarian identifying 'America First' types are lining up to be useful idiots for Putin, a foreign autocratic dictator. Undermining American freedoms and American strengths, in favor of the interests of foreign dictators.

I call them flag-thumpers. Much like how the Bible-thumpers distort the bible to suit a political agenda that is contrary to its message, the flag thumpers distort the spirit of America to undermine American ideals.

Anti-science and anti-empiricist ideas such as moon landing denial and COVID-woo, are to some extent funded by and supported by authoritarian regimes like Russia with the goal being to confound as opposed to convincing, and allegedly Iran and China too. Anti-science and opposition to the arts is also the tool of virtually every authoritarian, whether that happened in the Soviet Union, Germany, France, Arabia, Cambodia, Florida, China and Brazil.

@sargentd said:

@statisticalpc: Good conversation

The hypothesis that COVID came from a lab is overwhelmingly rejected by the scientific community. As the claims do not hold up to evidence, scrutiny or scientific rigour. The zoonotic origin is so overwhelmingly supported by evidence, so many existing studies woudl have to be wrong.

Furin cleavage sites naturally occur in Coronaviruses, these furin cleavage sites significantly increase transmissability. In fact, it is arguably these that allow coronaviruses to spread between humans.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2214427119

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-021-00908-w

The fact of the matter is, After the original SARS-CoV outbreak back in 2002. China built Coronavirus labs in pretty much every chinese city. The reason: China due to a number of factors, is particularly vulnerable to Coronaviruses in particular. It is the same reason US doesnt invest too heavily in Tropical Viruses, nations tend to invest in the biggest regional threats. The evidence for a zoonotic origin is overwhelming it baffles me anyone can think otherwise,

The Wuhan Seafood market was the epicenter of the disease,

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35881010/

Very closely related Coronaviruses have been found in Japan and Cambodia

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03217-0

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By comp_atkins
@nirgal said:

@davillain: also, other than space x, progress in development of rockets have been painfully slow.

And unless starship is developed successfully, there won't be any rocket anywhere near the power of the Saturn v for a long time.

That is one of the main 2 reasons there are no space flights to the moon current.

The other is also very obvious: NASA used to be massively financed during the Apollo program.

That money is long gone and Saturn level rockets are way to expensive to support without that level of financing.

So unless starship succeeds and these kind of extremely large rockets become way cheaper, we won't be seeing missions like that for a long time.

sls and starship are both more powerful than the saturn v iirc

artemis 1 has already orbited the moon, albeit unmanned.

https://www.youtube.com/live/CMLD0Lp0JBg?si=MpMTtXXOyJ2cAL1w&t=11811

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Nirgal

@comp_atkins: sls has an estimated cost per launch of 2 billion. It's completely unsustainable.