dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 dracula_16  Online
Member since 2005 • 16006 Posts

I love pasta and I was wondering what you fine people prefer. My fav is spaghetti, preferably with meatballs. What about you guys?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58344 Posts

Penne or rigatoni, preferably passed through a bronze die (better texture).

I like a good orecchiette as well, they're like little bowls. Good for your thinner or oil-based dishes.

They hold sauce well, and are generally thicker and release some starch into the water which is good for cooking with.

Not a fan of the long skinny pastas like spaghetti or fettuccini, they don't hold sauce well and then tend to drip.

Honorable non-pasta noodle: ramen. I honestly just love the noodles so much, I could have them in a super basic broth and be totally happy with that. Alkaline noodles, who would have thought...

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1060 Posts

If ramen and chow mein don't count, then baked ziti, canneloni, spaghetti, lasagna, tortellini, spaghettiOs, mac and cheese

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I can't think of single pasta type I don't like; it all depends on how I cook it and what I do with it. I used to hate ravioli, but I later found it was only because English people have no idea how to cook it. I tried this ricotta and spinach ravioli on my visit to Italy and loved it.

That said, the one I order regularly as part of my once-every-three-weeks grocery delivery is the penne. It's satisfying, easy to cook, easy to measure, goes well with a wide variety of sauces and meats. I also told the store to replace them with good old spaghetti if they don't have any, so that would be my second choice.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4232 Posts

I like spaghetti with Ragu sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. It’s a classic.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44575 Posts

mac & cheese

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34625 Posts

Gnocchi.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts

Don't really have a favorite.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23038 Posts

I think you're mostly talking about marinara based pasta, in which case I'll give you my second favorite - "Loaded"

Any kind of pasta shape, they're mostly the same, with marinara as a base. Load up the sauce with sausage (NOT ground beef, you need the spices), onions, peppers, and garlic. You can add other veggies if you want, but those are a must.

If you're including more interesting types, my absolute favorite is blackened X pasta. This has a buttery Alfredo sauce as a base, but the magic is in the protein which is COATED with a dark spice mixture. The idea is that these little flavor bombs of spice mingle with the dairy based sauce to mute the spices. It produces a wonderful layered effect in which no bite is the same.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

I kind of come around to fettuccine, especially for aglio e olio and Alfredo sauce. For a red sauce though I'd say angel hair or ravioli.

If you're getting away from Italian cuisine, rice noodles with Asian sauce (teriyaki, hoisin, etc) and veggies with chicken or pork is also fantastic.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl

@Serraph105: A good curry based soup with rice noodles is amazing.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105

@mattbbpl: you know, I've been meaning to try/make Soto Ayam for the first time for about a month now. It looks amazing.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mattbbpl

@Serraph105: Oh no, don't do it! You'll crave it at the most inopportune times, then discover there are a thousand different flavor profiles for it, and it will consume your life.

Some doors are best left closed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58344 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

If you're including more interesting types, my absolute favorite is blackened X pasta. This has a buttery Alfredo sauce as a base, but the magic is in the protein which is COATED with a dark spice mixture. The idea is that these little flavor bombs of spice mingle with the dairy based sauce to mute the spices. It produces a wonderful layered effect in which no bite is the same.

I used to work at an Italian restaurant and occasionally we'd try something new in the kitchen. One time we did a jerk chicken (spicy Jamaican seasoning, amazing!) alfredo and it worked for the exact reason you said.

We had this blackened grilled spicy chicken rubbed with a paste of habanero chilis and other herbs and spices, grilled fast and hot with plenty of good char, then we made our basic alfredo pasta (white sauce and penne) and tossed the chicken in there before plating.

I've seen this done with Buffalo seasoned chicken too which sounds good.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25: I love jerking meat (and not just for the double entendre opportunity)! In addition to the the spices, the citric acid breaks down tough cheap meat into something that tastes and feels higher quality, and the fruity aspect gives it a subtle undertone. My son thinks jerked pork chops are the best thing I make.

I've never had it in pasta, though. I'll have to try that!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38681 Posts

tortellini or ravioli are usual gotos. ate a lot of rigatoni growing up as well which i always liked it. don't like the smoother ziti though.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serraph105

@mattbbpl: well now I have to try it.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

Probably lasagna. Macaroni n cheese is awesome, too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59021 Posts

@ArmoredCore55 said:

Probably lasagna. Macaroni n cheese is awesome, too.

^

Was surprised how much I enjoyed vegan lasagna.

Don't give a shit about any of that stuff, but it tasted good. prefer it over meat.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#21 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6090 Posts

Knorr Side Kicks,creamy parmazon is my first choice.