Can i plug pc on this apartment with older fuse box?

sew333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sew333
Member since 2006 • 291 Posts

Hello. I will be buying new apartment to live. But fuse box is older. Not the newest.

And my question. It will be fine to plug pc in this new apartment with that fuse box,i think it is aluminium,right?

PC WILL BE: Rtx 4090,14900K,1600W PSU

It looks like this ( screen from internet ). Can i plug pc with that one?

screen of this:

room:

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not safe. You should have an electrician take a look at it if you're not sure. A surge protector certainly couldn't hurt.

sew333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sew333

Someone said this to me.

"I would get advice from a local electrician that you trust. Nobody here can tell you if the wiring / fuses / whatever in that apartment are safe for use with any given load.

This is particularly important seeing as you are buying the apartment. Never mind "can I use my gaming PC" - is it safe / do I need to budget for some electrical work would be higher in my thinking (impressed with your priorities though! )

You should be having an inspection done anyway before buying, which ought to include the electrical system, but presumably if the fuses and wiring are rated for the usual 15A/120V in the US (or whatever it is wherever you are) then it will support whatever normal stuff you plug in, just like anything with newer wiring. I'd definitely have a good UPS on important stuff, and surge suppressors on less important things.

So that's towards the ragged edge of what a 15 amp circuit can carry if you hit the PSU maximums. Thankfully the 4090 isn't as peaky as the Ampere generation cards, but the CPU is a big and constant power draw on that system. You probably need an electrician to ensure that not only are the fuses safe, but that you know how many circuits you have, how big they are and where they go. 1800w is probably a realistic maximum for not overloading a 15 amp circuit, so PC + monitor + speakers etc. is likely fine if you have a 15 amp circuit just for the computer area, but if you try putting another high wattage device on the same circuit-- like a microwave, heater, air conditioning, air fryer, etc. you'll risk blowing the circuit and the fuse and that's Not Good. Old places might even have 10 amp circuits and that's also something you'd need to be very careful about.

If you can see problems like that in an old building, that may be the tip of the iceberg as in the early days of electrical hookups, they did a bad job of anticipating just how much the need for power in the future would be and you can run into strange situations where circuits are shared across places you might not expect. Hopefully it's at least copper wire and the ground actually goes to ground..."

So plug pc on this apartment or look for other apartment?I living in Poland. Also i will be using on only pc and laptop. Other appliances like microwave not.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1051 Posts

@sew333: Maybe one option is to get an uninterruptible power supply that can support your PC's power draw with a certain amount of time on the UPS backup battery, and make sure this setup is on its own circuit that you don't use for anything else.

An electrician could install a direct line to your PC on a newer fuse setup and then just leave the rest of the apartment alone.

sew333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sew333

Ok.

This is screen with room with next apartment but with new electrics( with gas heating too ). Like you see there is also kitchen. Where should i place pc to be safe? Look:

Near window but what if will be raining?

Someone said this to me:"I would never place a PC in a kitchen - any PC that's as fast as the one you mentioned WILL be pulling in a lot of air, and that WILL result in steam being pulled into your case and making your heatsink and fans sticky, likely eventually causing the heat death of the system."

So skip that apartment if there is kitchen in the same room? But i think is well ventilated.

Ok so what is better choice that apartment with room with older fuse box ( but kitchen on separately room ) or that last apartment with kitchen on the same room?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@sew333: Place the PC in the safest place, even another room. Only thing that matters is where the cables can go. Just run a USB-C and video-out to the room where you want to play. These cables can easily go through the wall.

If you are scared of the kitchen, steam is not the issue, it is cooking grease. If you have a good hood vent and use it then all will be ok. If moisture is an issue, get a dehumidifier with the power on a different circuit than your PC.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Here is an idea pay an electrician to replace the fuse box..... If you dont want to do that, isolate the PC to a room that does not share power a lot of other appliances on the same line to a fuse. Also grabbing an UPS with isolate the PC from surges too and from.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58309 Posts

Just get a good surge protector, maybe one with a battery backup, and call it good.

The age of the fuse box shouldn't matter too much, just find out if it can supply the power you need.

@sew333 said:

Ok.

This is screen with room with next apartment but with new electrics( with gas heating too ). Like you see there is also kitchen. Where should i place pc to be safe? Look:

Near window but what if will be raining?

Someone said this to me:"I would never place a PC in a kitchen - any PC that's as fast as the one you mentioned WILL be pulling in a lot of air, and that WILL result in steam being pulled into your case and making your heatsink and fans sticky, likely eventually causing the heat death of the system."

So skip that apartment if there is kitchen in the same room? But i think is well ventilated.

Ok so what is better choice that apartment with room with older fuse box ( but kitchen on separately room ) or that last apartment with kitchen on the same room?

Do the windows leak? Then no worries.

Does the kitchen have ventilation? Then no worries. Unless your PC is right next to the stove and you're boiling everything all day, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe put the PC at the opposite end of the room away from where you are cooking?

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it.

sew333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sew333

Hi again . I have an question. Someone said this to me:"

At some point you'll get tired of replacing fuses because the quality of fuses for residential use is only going down."

So when i choose that apartment with older fuses,Do I have to replace them from time to time? I dont understand what he mean.

sew333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sew333

Oki i swear last question. If i choose that apartment ( i think i will be feel better there ) but with oldest fuses , i can plug there pc ? Last time screen:

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not safe. You should have an electrician take a look at it if you're not sure. A surge protector certainly couldn't hurt.

Surge protector wouldn't be needed. You'd want to get a line conditioner if you think the power is not clean.

However, as already suggested, if you feel the power is an issue have an electrician check things out.

Also, nothing wrong with a house with old fuse type box. I lived in one 20ish years ago. Had a fuse box like that. We ran computers and all sorts of other electronic equipment without issues.

sew333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sew333

Someone said this to me:"

I say,do not try to use older fuse boxeswith computers, electric stoves, or refrigerators! You will have nothing but trouble with blowing fuses right and left"

So dont buy that apartment with older fuse box, they will be blowing? Or dont worry?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GirlUSoCrazy

@sew333: Ask them to let you try your PC on it for like 2 hours of high performance gaming on a hot day. It doesn't hurt to try and ask for this, and then you will see what happens.

sew333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sew333

@girlusocrazy:

@girlusocrazy said:

@sew333: Ask them to let you try your PC on it for like 2 hours of high performance gaming on a hot day. It doesn't hurt to try and ask for this, and then you will see what happens.

What you mean? Ask to who? And what can happen?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@sew333: Try asking the people who are currently responsible for the apartment to let you try playing games on your PC in the apartment for 2 hours to see if it works as expected with no issues.

sew333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sew333

This is screen with room with another apartment but with new electrics and new fuses( with gas heating too ). I added arrows there are wall sockets.

What should i choose. That apartment with older fuses or that one with newest fuses and electronics but with kitchen in room?