Do I really need to upgrade from my 1070ti ??

Xtraflo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtraflo
Member since 2007 • 700 Posts

I have a 7600x CPU with 32GB DDR5 RAM with PCIe SSD EVO SSDs but still rockin my 1070ti EVGA Reference GPU.

Overall, I don't have any issues with any current games at 1080p. Sure, I do sacrifice some graphical options to adapt for performance but I'm curious if upgrading to a 4070 would be worth it for the $500+ Price Tag? Am I really missing out on that much Graphical Wowness these days??

Thanks for the feedback!!

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@Xtraflo: Yes! It's nice to see a GPU still doing ok after like 5-6 years. But why not upgrade? I'd be bothered if I couldn't get at least stable 60 fps on native 1080p in single player, and over 100 in mp shooters (I have a 144 Hz 1080p monitor). 4070 would fit your system perfectly.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Not sure how you do it. You must only play potato games and miss out on a lot of games or play them at piss poor quality. You need to upgrade big time. 4070 is a decent GPU and the 4070 Super is even better. I would go for the 4070 Super if I were you.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1052 Posts

@Xtraflo: It depends, what games do you want to play?

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I kept my 980Ti for 6 years and I used it across multiple resolutions (1920x1080 and 5760x1080 - when a game properly supported it) and that meant as time went on I was adjusting down settings to keep decent frame rates, but it's not the graphics that keep me playing. I'm hoping my 3080Ti gives me a similar opportunity.

Not everyone is a graphics whore and needs try to max out every game when there is almost no difference between high and ultra settings.

If the GPU plays games to your expectation I would think you're not in the need to upgrade. Even with my 3080Ti I don't bother with DLSS (there is blurring from it that bugs me, regardless of what others might say about it) and I don't give a rat's ass about RT so I never enable it.

I play games I enjoy. I'm not a big AAA gamer because I think most of the suck or are such a poor state when they're released that I won't touch them for a couple of years after they've released.....there are exceptions, there are games that have been out a couple of years that are still in shit condition that I will never get (I'm looking at you Dying Light 2).

If you're on the boards looking for validation on if you should get a new GPU from strangers, you probably don't really need one. You're not missing out on things, no matter what Nvidia or AMD try to tell you with their software that downscales and then upscales and RT is handled so poorly by both sides that the only competition they can do between each other with it is to try and be the one that does it slightly less crappy than the other.

In all honesty, I've been having fun going back and playing older games over the new junk that's been coming out. Check out the list of games I've been playing lately:

• The Saboteur
  • Soldier Of Fortune
  • Call of Duty 2
  • Advent Rising
  • Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
  • Shadow Ops: Red Mercury
  • Rise of the Argonauts
  • Boiling Point: Road to Hell
  • Diablo II (not the updated Resurrected one)
  • I'm currently playing Company of Heroes and also Fable: The Lost Chapters
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

Truly impressive you have managed to maintain it for that long, good work hanging on to it.

I would personally recommend an upgrade simply because I think you deserve one and, arguably, kind of need one being so out of date at this time.

But if you are managing and money is tight, keep on trucking I say.

The real question is, though: do you want to upgrade? And can you afford it?