How do you upgrade the Power Supply on your PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LUK3isH3RE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LUK3isH3RE
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts
OK, so I only have a 250W output on my PC.
I need 350W to support a 7900GS.
Can someone explain to me how you upgrade and how much it should cost?
Thanks in advance.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
OK, so I only have a 250W output on my PC.
I need 350W to support a 7900GS.
Can someone explain to me how you upgrade and how much it should cost?
Thanks in advance.
LUK3isH3RE
I would recommend getting a good PSU that can support at least that and some more wattage, in case you decide to upgrade later on. You should mainly focus on high wattage and good amps on the 12V rails. A good brand PSU is Seasonic, so is OCZ, Enermax, Antec, Zippy, PCP&C. Your range will propably be something like $75-$125, for a good PSU with enough watt to last you a while. For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194007 Or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194012
matthewjackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 matthewjackman
Member since 2006 • 407 Posts
As long as you have a standard PC case the process is quite simple as to actually putting the PSU into the case. However if you have a branded PC like Dell's then you may find the PSU is bolted into the case and becomes difficult to swap out. If you can just unscrew it your biggest problem is going to be connecting all the power cables back up as it can get a little confusing as to what goes where. I suggest that before you attempt it just turn your PC off, pop the sides and take good long look at all the power cables and where they go. Try to identify what each cable is and what it connects to. If you have some masking tape perhaps actually write out labels for em. Basically every connection should only fit what it is supposed to and it can look more complex than it actually is if you havent done this sort of thing before. Good luck! :)