Kindly recommend me a good quality, low end sub-woofer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I have the cheapest subwoofer I could get at the time... an $80 Sony box that sounds farty at all but the lowest volumes.  I guess I figured something was better than nothing... turns out nothing is pretty much what I got for my money.  I run the THX test for subwoofers, and boy... it sounds terrible unless I turn it down to the point where any bass is inaudible.  So my question is, what IN YOUR EXPERIENCE is a good low end subwoofer for $200 or less?   I would really appreciate some advice finding one I can actually use that doesn't sound farty and distorted, but I can't break the bank.   

Thanks... and this is for a home therater btw.  I currently connect my (crappy) subwoofer using an RCA-esque cable... doubt it's RCA, but that's what it looks like... only black.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 cspiffo
Member since 2005 • 2841 Posts

I have the cheapest subwoofer I could get at the time... an $80 Sony box that sounds farty at all but the lowest volumes.  I guess I figured something was better than nothing... turns out nothing is pretty much what I got for my money.  I run the THX test for subwoofers, and boy... it sounds terrible unless I turn it down to the point where any bass is inaudible.  So my question is, what IN YOUR EXPERIENCE is a good low end subwoofer for $200 or less?   I would really appreciate some advice finding one I can actually use that doesn't sound farty and distorted, but I can't break the bank.   

Thanks... and this is for a home therater btw.  I currently connect my (crappy) subwoofer using an RCA-esque cable... doubt it's RCA, but that's what it looks like... only black.

donalbane
Did you set the crossover properly on your Sony Sub?
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 donalbane
Tried using THX setup on Star Wars Ep II disc, and couldn't find a setting that sounded 1) audible, and 2) distortion free. Any setup pointers?
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cspiffo
Tried using THX setup on Star Wars Ep II disc, and couldn't find a setting that sounded 1) audible, and 2) distortion free. Any setup pointers?donalbane
Before I can give you any pointers you need to tell me about your setup. What type of speakers do you have, model or size and brand? Are all of your speakers matched or are they a hodge podge collected over time? If your front speakers are large, you should set the crossover to a lower frequency; like under 100hz. If they are small then a little over 100 hz will do. What kinds of receiver do you have?
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 donalbane

Hodge podge speakers ( I don't even know the brand of my main ones. My roomie bought them out of the back of a van lol, but they are big and sound great.) My satellite's are mid range quality. My reciever is a failry decent Yamaha (RX-V530) and I have everything set up rather mindfully (used Digital Video Essentials for this.)

I really appreciate the help... if you could save me the $ of getting a better one (that may have the same issues if it's my settings) then that would be super!

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cspiffo
Hodge podge speakers ( I don't even know the brand of my main ones. My roomie bought them out of the back of a van lol, but they are big and sound great.) My satellite's are mid range quality. My reciever is a failry decent Yamaha (RX-V530) and I have everything set up rather mindfully (used Digital Video Essentials for this.)donalbane
LOL!!! Someone tried to sell me speakers out of a van once! I said no! LOL...Anyway, You are going to have problems get the sound just right with that setup. When the speakers aren't of the same brand strange mismatching happens. Speakers manufacturers tend to set all of their speakers up the same from their highest end to their lowest end. They use the same crossovers and such. Your sub is probably being over powered by the front speakers. Definately set the crossover to something low; maybe around 75hz. Make sure the receivers bass and treble are all set evenly and not turned all the way up! Set the receiver up to treat the front and rear speakers as large speakers. It's hard to help with this stuff when you can't actually hear the sound. Those are some helpful tips though. Your sub is probably fine for your room, unless your room is cathedral size!
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cspiffo
Oh! One more thing. GET MATCHED SPEAKERS!!! LOL!
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 donalbane
Many thanks! I greatly appreciate your assistance. Now if only I could see the HZ level on the knob! As far as I know, it's just a simple, unlabled knob without any numeric indication, but you get what you pay for ($100 3 years ago... its a Sony though!) Perhaps I will get matching speakers in the future then... just don't wanna break the bank, ya know. Any good values out there for a small to medium room? And once again, thanks for the assistance. You're very helpful.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cspiffo

Many thanks! I greatly appreciate your assistance. Now if only I could see the HZ level on the knob! As far as I know, it's just a simple, unlabled knob without any numeric indication, but you get what you pay for ($100 3 years ago... its a Sony though!) Perhaps I will get matching speakers in the future then... just don't wanna break the bank, ya know. Any good values out there for a small to medium room? And once again, thanks for the assistance. You're very helpful.donalbane

You welcome dude. Sony must be slacking if they didn't label the knob. That's a pretty loser thing to do. Anywho, If you are looking for a matched set for your room size then I might have some ideas. I picked these up about 7 mos. ago but it looks like they've been discontinued. Their is a new model out that looks pretty cool. It's about $50 more than you are willing to spend. The ones I have are great. I'm sure the new type sound just as good! That sub is small but it really shakes the floor!!!

The type I have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7067719&st=Yamaha+speakers&lp=9&type=product&cp=1&id=1108126065790

The type available:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7688656&st=Yamaha+speakers&lp=10&type=product&cp=1&id=1138083309560

audiophile25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 audiophile25
Member since 2002 • 1495 Posts

First, in all due respect, your friend is a moron for buying the speakers from the "white van guys".  It is a scam

http://www.scamshield.com/Feature.asp?id=1

Second, for a subwoofer that doesn't distort and will sound good, http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm  Problem is, it is $429.  Anyway, probably didn't help but I wouldn't spend only $200 on a sub since it will distort just as well as your other sub.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cspiffo

First, in all due respect, your friend is a moron for buying the speakers from the "white van guys".  It is a scam

http://www.scamshield.com/Feature.asp?id=1

Second, for a subwoofer that doesn't distort and will sound good, http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm  Problem is, it is $429.  Anyway, probably didn't help but I wouldn't spend only $200 on a sub since it will distort just as well as your other sub.

audiophile25
This dudes not looking for anything fancy audiophile25. There are decent systems that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for! I agree with your tastes but, man, some people just aren't looking for that kind of quality!
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 donalbane
OF COURSE IT WAS A SCAM! I didn't buy them... he just moved out and gave them to me when he moved. I tried them and they sounded better than the ones I had, so I ended up using my old primaries as my rear satellites. But they are terrible. You can't disconnect the wires from the back of the speakers, if that's any indicator of their quality. And I absolutely won't spend more than $200 on a subwoofer right now (just got a 1080p tv.) I guess I feel too much sympathy for my neighbors to torture them like that. I just want a subwoofer that doesn't sound flatulant and won't put me in the poorhouse. Hopefully I can just adjust the one I have correctly. But I do appreciate all the recommendations... some day I will get a nice set of matching speakers, but for now the ones I have sound just fine for my needs.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 donalbane
What's a good wattage to look for for my small 1 bdrm apartment?
cryofreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cryofreeze
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts

For a $200 budget. I would recommend looking into the small "HTIB" Home Theater in a Box setups. There are several at BB and CC that are around $200. They come with 5 speakers and a sub.

While not great by any means, this would also give you a "matched" set of speakers which probably would sound much better than your cheapo van speakers.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 donalbane

For a $200 budget. I would recommend looking into the small "HTIB" Home Theater in a Box setups. There are several at BB and CC that are around $200. They come with 5 speakers and a sub.

While not great by any means, this would also give you a "matched" set of speakers which probably would sound much better than your cheapo van speakers.

cryofreeze
Don't knock 'em... they sound pretty good. I know it sounds like they wouldn't, but I honestly like the sound of them. They just don't match the others, so that sucks. Still, thanks for all the advice, everyone. Most helpful.
audiophile25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 audiophile25
Member since 2002 • 1495 Posts

For that price point I don't have a recommendation.  However, in terms of watts, that is tricky.  In subwoofer designs, the smaller the enclosure for the sub, the more watts you need.  However, if it is housed in a larger box, the power needed isn't as great as a smaller enclosed one.  Perhaps the used market might be an option.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1173393380

Audiogon.com or e-bay. The above is an example but I did find a $200 one and $175 one that were pretty decent. 

Varese_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Varese_basic
Member since 2002 • 6785 Posts
I've seen a Sherwood receiver with 92 db dynamic range and fairly low distortion (below .1%) 105 watts per channel. Sony makes good subs and you would have to test the sub with new speakers. I've seen good looking white van speakers that were series and had no crossover circuit.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 donalbane
After some examination last night, I did find out how to set it to 75 hz, and upon testing noticed a much improved sound from my subwoofer. Thanks so very much for the help. Saved me $200 bucks! And when I'm ready to upgrade my hardware in the future, you guys gave me some great ideas. Thanks a million, all.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cspiffo
After some examination last night, I did find out how to set it to 75 hz, and upon testing noticed a much improved sound from my subwoofer. Thanks so very much for the help. Saved me $200 bucks! And when I'm ready to upgrade my hardware in the future, you guys gave me some great ideas. Thanks a million, all.donalbane
Your welcome dude!