Optical sound question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

simonking33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 simonking33
Member since 2004 • 28 Posts
I am trying to connect my 360 to my pc using an optical cable, my sound card itself doesn't have an optical input however there is an imput on the back of my pc, will i be able to use this input to run 5.1 sound through my soundcard?
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 cspiffo
Member since 2005 • 2841 Posts
I am trying to connect my 360 to my pc using an optical cable, my sound card itself doesn't have an optical input however there is an imput on the back of my pc, will i be able to use this input to run 5.1 sound through my soundcard? simonking33
Unless the input is optical the answer is no. You can only get 5.1 sound with a digital input. Like optical and coax. Everything else will give you, at most, Dolby pro logic surround sound.
simonking33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 simonking33
yeah it's an optical input, is it possible to output the sound the input recieves through my soundcard despite the fact that the import isn't on the soundcard itself?
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cspiffo
yeah it's an optical input, is it possible to output the sound the input recieves through my soundcard despite the fact that the import isn't on the soundcard itself?simonking33
Are you saying the you computer has two sound cards? Like one built into the motherboard and another that you installed?
simonking33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 simonking33
yeah it seems that way, but the soundcard on the motherboard doesn't appear to output in 5.1 which seems strange as there's an optical in . . .
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cspiffo
yeah it seems that way, but the soundcard on the motherboard doesn't appear to output in 5.1 which seems strange as there's an optical in . . . simonking33
I'm not so sure that's an optical input. Are their 1 or 2 optical ports on you mobos soundcard?