RPG's are they more than just a grind?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darthbowser89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Darthbowser89
Member since 2006 • 269 Posts

Don't get me wrong RPG's are one of my favourite types of games. It just seems after playing a few, the grind factor really begins to shine, and you long for a different type of game such as a first person shootert. Take Diablo 2 for example an excellent game, but getting to level 100 is a grind to behold, perhaps I have no patience, but I found many other things to do with my time besides getting my paladin past level 40 to 100. Oh sure theres nightmare and hell mode but its still the same game. But enough of Diablo 2. I was just wondering about your thoughts on grinding...and perhaps any funny..(sad), grinding experiences you have gone through.

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
I remember once when Runescape (yes, Runescape) I grinded for hours to be able to get my minding level up. What a f***ing bore.
Darthbowser89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Darthbowser89
Member since 2006 • 269 Posts
I played Maple Story for a while, maybe one of the heaviest grind experiences you can experience. The quests on it give you crap all experiences. Instead your left to grind away at pigs and snails tc that give hardly any exp. The monsters get harder but they only give a small amount of exp. At level 25 I think I need like 40 000 exp maybe more, but the most I exp i could get ( based on my levels capabilities) was 60 ( flaming boar) which took me like 3 strikes to kill.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19590 Posts
To be honest, I never thought much of those hack'n'slash grind-fests that try to pass themselves off as RPGs.
So, to answer the question in the topic title - Yes, (good) RPGs have little/no grind.
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts
some rpgs are about the grind - though those games are best played with friends, and the grind is, in my experience, very rewarding with friends

other rpgs enjoy complex plots in fascinating worlds, or wonderful character development over epic overarcing stories - you can't generalise

personally, i enjoy both kinds of rpg
Valkyrie_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6 Valkyrie_44
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
I remember back in the day of EQ1 hey-day. Looking back on it now, it almost feels like one continous grind-fest.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Offline RPGs don't feel like a grind to me.  You don't have to get to level 100 and you don't have to grind for the epic loot drops to experience all that the game has to offer.  You can finish the game relatively quickly if you aren't grinding on purpose, on most rpg's. 

I could never understand people enjoying the grind.  I have no interest in farming the same ambush over and over again because some boss has a really rare drop.  I guess some people do though and as they say, there's no accounting for taste.

Now the MMOrpg's are another beast entirely.  I've not seen one yet without some substantial grinding in it.  And most of them even require that kind of repetitive gameplay if you want to experience the whole story.
Tadmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Tadmod
Member since 2006 • 151 Posts
The Elder scrolls series seems not to have any grind to me.
Actually, why are even bothering to level up, i stop when its boring, thats the idea of gaming. ENJOYMENT!
master_blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#9 master_blue
Member since 2003 • 1791 Posts

Most offline RPG's arent level grinding, games like Diablo 1/2 really are not RPG's but more like action games with level up (level up does not make an RPG).

RPG's like KOTOR 1/2. Arcanum, Fallout 1/2  are certainly not about powergaming.

Online RPG's unfortunately are if you want a character with good enough skills/stats to pvp/hunt etc.