Sound card questions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MercenaryKnight
MercenaryKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MercenaryKnight
Member since 2003 • 396 Posts

My comp is ordered and I got the x-fi xtreme gamer sound card which uses pci slots. I am also getting the 250$ EVGA 680I mobo.

My main question is, the mobo itself is going to have the audio ports sticking out of the plate when I install it inside the case. Am I somehow going to need to like open it so that the sound card's audio port sticks out or is it going to allow me to just stick say my headphones in the regular mobo audio port and it'll activate the sound card on it's own.

I guess to try to simplify it, if I have the soundcard installed could I just put my headphones or speakers into the plain mobo audio port and still get the sound off the sound card. Or am I going to have to make the soundcard's audio port stick out of my case and plug it directly in to the sound card itself.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts
The sound card is a PCI card - so it will be in your I/O shield regardless. Just disable your onboard audio, and use the X-Fi like you would a regular onboard sound card.
Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts
you have to choose one soundcard , either the built in or the X-Fi , so disable one from ur Sound options in Control panel & use the another one .