GroovyRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By GroovyRuby
Member since 2020 • 3 Posts

The Evil Within is a survival horror game from the mind who brought us Resident Evil, Shinji Mikami. Considering Mikami gave birth to the survival horror genre, this return to form has had a lot of expectations thrust on its shoulders from the get-go. When the game released back in 2014, it was met with mixed reviews. Some praised it for being a true return to form survival horror experience with disgustingly beautiful monster designs and excellent level design, two staple features of the Resident Evil franchise; while others looked down on The Evil Within for its clunky combat, bland & cliche characters, and the feel that it's less a step forward in the genre as it was being stuck in a "greatest hits" play-by-play of the horror genre. Having played it for the first time in 2020, I can see both sides of the argument and understand where they are coming from. While yes, it is a little disappointing that the creator of the survival horror genre didn't quite push the genre forward into next gen like a lot of fans were hoping, rather instead it is a love letter to the fans of the genre, with a few glaring shortcomings.

One of the most notable complaints out the gate, the protagonist Sebastian Castellanos is extremely cliche, and provides little reason for us to care about him. He's a hard boiled, gruff detective with a tragic past, driven to alcoholism, which is little more than a template for a character on which to expand, which the game never does. Sebastian as a vehicle for the player is serviceable, but he lacks any distinct personality or charm that make your time with him bearable. The same cannot be said for the world in which Sebastian inhabits. When the evil within begins, Sebastian, his partner Joesph and rookie Kidman investigate a morbid scene at Beacon Mental Hospital. From there, they're injected into the horrific and visceral world of inside the mind of a psychopath through the use of a machine called STEM, its mysteries unveiling themselves as the game goes on. I don't want to say too much about the story in case you haven't played it, but the villain, Ruvik, provides a great antagonist and intense presence. His story is a slow reveal which was a delight to watch unfold.

The levels and monsters within this devilish landscape are amazing, constantly varied and packed full of terror, horrific monsters and twisting boss encounters. The brilliance of Mikami shines through here, as every chapter of The Evil Within brings with it a new form of terror to sneak away from admits a masterfully crafted level. From the starting chapters delapidated village with zombie like inhabitants, underground infested sewer system, abandoned hospital and sprawling, creepy manor, a lot of the levels feel like a wink and nod to classic horror tropes. While familiar, there's a lot to see and do in each chapter. Traps and puzzles galore, there's so many ways to be torn apart and kept on your toes here, providing a very satisfying run through of each tried and tested local. The excellent sound design makes each level that much more effective however. Creaks of doors and distant groans and rips permeate the hallowed halls and caverns, creating a tense and foreboding atmosphere at every turn. Accompany this with The Evil Within'sdesign choice to letterbox your vision in order to create a more cinematic experience, it's clear presentation was a priority. The letterbox cuts off your vision from the top and bottom, leaving you a little vulnerable when you can't see exactly what it is that's coming. For the duration of my play through, I turned this off. For me it was too distracting and I felt it got in the way more often than it enchanced my experience. In The Evil Within, sometimes what you don't see and hear is more terrifying than what you do

It's a little old school in its design, levels are linear and rely on the same method of explore, gather, sneak and traverse again and again. Whether this feels like a step back of a refreshing reminder of games of old, is up to you. Personally, I enjoyed the levels enough to overlook the repetitive nature, as I enjoyed the gameplay loop and exploration. While you cannot experiment and tinker with how you go about the progression of the main game, you can with how you deal with the onslaught coming. You get a weighty arsenal, starting with a standard pistol and working your way up through more robust ways of dealing with enemies, such as a shotgun. The most useful and tactical weapon is the Agony Crossbow. This provides various ways to go about the levels with the different bolts. Harpoon bolts deal near one hit kills, shock and freeze bolts halt enemies in their tracks, mine bolts can be used to dispatch large groups or set traps, and blinding bolts do as they say. The catch is you must craft these bolts using scrap you find in each level, either by dismantling traps or breaking boxes. Ammo, health syringes and other precious survival tools are rare and hard to come by, reinforcing the survival in survival horror. With the crossbow and limited ammo, how you choose to navigate is a vicious choice. Do you fight and use ammo? Do you shock enemies in one place and make a mad dash through? Or do you take it slow and sneak your way through? Any of these options are viable, enemies do considerable damage and notice you with surprising grace, so think carefully about how you proceed. Sebastian can be upgraded through the use of green gel obtained in the world and through defeating enemies. You upgrade in an electric chair in the games hub world, a sort of pocket dimension hosted by a strange and ethereal nurse. Each upgrades effects are felt immediately, making what you choose to upgrade important. Given that green gel must be manually picked up, sometimes in dangerous locations, the risk and reward is great.

Even when the game closes, it presents new ways to entice you to replay the experience, and you absolutely should. The games AKUMU mode is the toughest challenge the game has to offer, and even if a one hit death isn't your cup of tea, it's worth trying just for the intensity it brings.

Overall, I have lot more positive things to say about the evil within than negative. The paper thin character of Sebastian is overshadowed by the likes of Kidman, a character which even got her own DLC. The combat sometimes feels clunky and unresponsive, the colour palette is in desperate need of an upgrade and you absolutely have to stop finding ways to make us fall underground. The story length could have shed a few chapters, i felt it drag more than it should have in the closing hours. Even so, when repetition sets in and you start feeling the hours slog by, an excellent boss encounter that will leave your heart pounding for a while after it's done comes along to remind you that you're never safe. Narrowly clearly a chapter with a single bullet to your name, successfully besting a trap riddled room provides some extreme satisfaction. Sometimes while playing it, the phase "one step forward, two steps back" came into mind, but after finishing it and taking a day to reflect, I see now that maybe I missed the point. The Evil Within embodies a "greatest hits of horror" mentality, showcasing why this genre is so loved and lasting, and why Shinji Mikami is the master of survival horror. The unique setting, grotesque creature design, tough as nails gameplay and unforgiving survival, make the evil within an absolute must play for any survival horror fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3
deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3
Member since 2020 • 58 Posts

I finished first one but I really wasn't a fan. Visually it looked like a PS3 game and the story was a convoluted mess.

GroovyRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GroovyRuby

@parkerrand: I would agree on both fronts. I wish they had done more for it to look prettier on next-gen, given it was also released on PS3/Xbox 360. The story had me scratching my head at a lot of points, but I think it comes down to not explaining it well enough in-game. Definitely not the best overall.

What did you think of the sequel?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3

@groovyruby: I never played the sequel because I was so disappointed in the first one. I thought about it though because it had a great trailer.

GroovyRuby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GroovyRuby

@parkerrand: The sequel is a whole lot better in nearly every way. If it's on sale I feel like it would be much more to your taste - looks a lot better, story is more concise, it's more open ended and it's definitely a lot harder.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3

@groovyruby: I may check it out then.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

I liked the first one not so much the second one. I personally like RE more but RE4 controls are beyond horrible.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

I played Evil Within 1 on PS4 and then on PC. It ran so good on PC (60fps) and Instantly loved it again. Although I'm yet to finish the DLC and haven't even touched Evil Within 2. I have a huuuuge backlog and currently spent 160hrs on Witcher 3 and still not finished.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#8 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I actually rather enjoy both Evil Within games for different reasons.

The first is a hot mess, with a story so underwritten that it actually feels like huge chunks of dialogue and story scenes were missing entirely, and even ignoring that, the psuedo science behind it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. That being said, the haphazard nature of the narrative led to a feeling of genuine unpredictability, with it echoing RE4 in a few regards, namely in how it was constantly putting the player in challenging and interesting situations. I don't think it's as good as RE4, but it's enjoyable as an aesthetically creative horror game. Good variety to environments and memorable monster designs even though the context for them is confusing at best.

The second one is definitely more refined from a story perspective since, you know, Sebastian actually reacts to things happening around him and has emotions and feelings. There's a better sense of cohesiveness to the game's world even though the base premise of STEM still doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. I thought it did open ended survival horror pretty well, too. The areas you explore aren't gigantic, but the fact that enemies pose a genuine, real threat (at least on your first playthrough) means it feels big because you're taking your time to explore for supplies and avoiding confrontations. I also liked how you mostly just stumble on side stories and how, even though there aren't a ton of them, they feel pretty well fleshed out. Aesthetically it lacks the unpredictability from the first but makes up for it with its open endedness and better (read: actually competent) storyline.

TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

@groovyruby: it's been awhile. but I remember enjoying it. I heard the second one was good as well

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

I love The Evil Within one of my favorite survival horror games. I also wanted to get Resistance Fall of Man if they remastered it.