"50 years of tax cuts for the rich failed to trickle down, economics study says"

• 109 results
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Whelp, it says the same thing other studies have shown during this time period. Think people will learn a lesson, or will we continue to support policies that only benefit the top tier rich? I think it is highly likely we'll see our 1st trillionaire in the coming decade or so but I doubt we'll see that 'Bezos' trickle rain down upon us.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tax-cuts-rich-50-years-no-trickle-down/

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

It works fine be for the ruling elite.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

Working as intended.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts

which is why they did it again for the 2017 tax cuts. can't have the rich get richer by normal means... let's give them more tax cuts just in case. i mean, the rich are the people most in need of extra $$$, right?

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4387 Posts

at some point this will piss off everyone and wont be done again.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I will never understand how anybody that isn't rich defends this shit voting against your own self interest is the dumbest shit.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

In before "but you posted a study, appeal to authority - I win."

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127518 Posts

Horse and Sparrow failed again. Lets try it again. Soon it must work.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@warmblur said:

I will never understand how anybody that isn't rich defends this shit voting against your own self interest is the dumbest shit.

Indeed. But if you try to talk to them about facts they get mad.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

Trickle down is a political term made up by democrats, just like assault weapon. It's not an actual theory.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Trickle down is a political term made up by democrats, just like assault weapon. It's not an actual theory.

Actually Will Rogers is credited with coining that phrase.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

Not surprising at all, given the kind of people that promote this kind of delusion.

You know what has changed in 50 years?

• People work more hours per week
  • Things cost more
  • Paid less (adjusted for inflation, of course)
  • Houses become less affordable
  • Education is either worse than it was, more expensive than it was, or both.
  • Employer rights outweigh employee rights
  • Small business ownership and employment is shrinking, being replaced with corporate businesses and employment.

...the minimum wage in the United States has gone up 353% since 1970, and average incomes have gone up approximately 500%. In that same span, however, the cost of basic household goods has gone up 482%, the cost of a four year education has gone up 994%, and the cost of an average home has gone up 917%.

In other words, in the eyes of an average worker from 1970 compered to today, the prices at the grocery store have remained largely unchanged, but the cost of an education has roughly doubled (and it’s now required if you want to earn significant money, where it wasn’t in 1970) and the cost of a home has roughly doubled as well.

Link

We have less buying power, and things cost more. Except food, apparently, but hey "give them bread", right?

In order to get a good-paying job you need an education, BUT that education will keep you in debt well into your 50's even after you got that good-paying job.

Inequality in the US has increased dramatically over time. During the 80s, we can see that the living standards of the poorest half fell while they increased for the richest. Throughout the 90s there was a sustained period of improvement at all levels of society, but without any real reduction in inequality. From the year 2000 onwards we observe a period of stagnation for the lower income groups accompanied by increased inequality as the richest capture most of the gains from growth. In 2013, approximately 60% of the population were better off in than the year 2000.

Link

TL;DR: inequality has always been a problem in the US for decades, but it went bad in the late 2000's and just get's worse and worse every year.

@warmblur said:

They defend it because they've been sold the American Dream, which is a sham. In other words, they don't want to support taxes on the obscenely wealthy because they have convinced themselves into thinking they will be obscenely wealthy someday.

Fear also plays a role as well; people are told if you tax the rich, they'll take their business to other countries, they will lay off workers, etc.

@firedrakes said:

at some point this will piss off everyone and wont be done again.

No, if we haven't learned by now, we won't learn ever. Something catastrophic needs to happen, for better or worse. Either that, or some Christ-like person will come along and say "Free internet for everyone!" or they develop a fuel that is simply too perfect to not use or something like that.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vl4d_l3nin
@LJS9502_basic said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

As a joke

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

As a joke

About Reaganomics.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

It was clearly a policy made to further enrich rich people, not the poor. It was merely sold to the poor.

Avatar image for deactivated-610a70a317506
deactivated-610a70a317506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-610a70a317506
Member since 2017 • 658 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

As a joke

About Reaganomics.

Will Rogers died in 1935. How would he have known about Reaganomics to make a joke about it?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Is this supposed to be a rebuttal? If so, on what grounds?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zaryia

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Well now you're just arguing semantics rather than the facts and economics. You're going to have to debunk the study that was posted, or I consider you accept and agree with it.

Here is a quick/partial summary,

Governments shouldn’t be worried that raising taxes on the rich will harm their economies when deciding on how to pay for COVID-19. Our new research on 18 advanced economies shows that major tax cuts for the rich over the past 50 years have pushed up inequality but have had no significant effects on economic growth or unemployment.

These findings shed new light on a debate that has long divided policymakers, with one side claiming higher taxes on the rich could raise revenue and reduce inequality, and the other arguing that low taxes on the rich are the best route to wider economic prosperity.

The data suggests that low taxes on the rich bring economies little benefit, and this suggests there is a strong economic case for raising taxes on the rich to help repair public finances following the pandemic.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zaryia

@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

As a joke

About Reaganomics.

Will Rogers died in 1935. How would he have known about Reaganomics to make a joke about it?

Thread successfully sidetracked to a purely subjective semantics/nomenclature debate rather than attempting to debunk the study (and several studies that agree with it.) Mostly because it doesn't paint conservatives economics in a good light (but what ever does?)

"Many analysts and policymakers believe that taxes will need to rise in the coming years to ensure the sustainability of public finances. Higher taxes on the rich could help to fund the substantial and potentially long-lasting expansion of government spending and social protection seen during the pandemic. They could also help address health and economic inequalities, which have only been exacerbated by COVID-19 and its economic fallout.

Such tax rises after crises are not unprecedented. Historically, the main drivers of taxes on the rich were wars and economic catastrophes. The COVID-19 crisis might have a similar effect.

Our recent research shows that the economic case for low taxes on the rich is weak. Major tax cuts for the rich since the 1980s have worsened income inequality without boosting economic performance. This might be welcome news for supporters of higher taxes on the rich in the wake of the pandemic."

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl

@zaryia said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Well now you're just arguing semantics rather than the economics. You're going to have to debunk the study posted, or I consider you accept and agree with the TC's link.

I'm not sure I understand what he's trying to say. It sounds similar to the following hypothetical:

Pat Robertson: "If you send Pat Robertson money, the holy spirit will heal you of all afflictions!"

Critics: "Studies continually demonstrate that the 'Sending Pat Robertson cash heals you of your ills' theory is incorrect."

Pat Robertson: "That's never been an actual theory."

Critics: "Yeah.... that's kind of the point."

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ogvampire

@vl4d_l3nin said:

uh, it's an actual theory:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/trickledowntheory.asp

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@warmblur said:

People who assume they too will be filthy rich someday, and so don't want to rock the boat. I know that seems bizarre, but I'm convinced there are at least some folks out there who think this way.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattbbpl

@ogvampire: Perhaps his point is that it's proponents prefer to call it other names such as "Supply Side Economics" (or, in the past, Horse and Sparrow Theory).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-610a70a317506

@zaryia:

Wow. I was just curious how LJ came to the determination that Will Rogers was making a joke about Reaganomics. I made no comment on the efficacy of trickle down economics.

Sorry if I made you upset because you think I am trying to derail the thread. Rest assured, that was not my intent. Just looking for clarification from another poster, not you.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zaryia

@comeonman said:

@zaryia:

Wow. I was just curious how LJ came to the determination that Will Rogers was making a joke about Reaganomics. I made no comment on the efficacy of trickle down economics.

Sorry if I made you upset because you think I am trying to derail the thread. Rest assured, that was not my intent. Just looking for clarification from another poster, not you.

Conservatives ITT talking about anything but the TC's data. I know why, you know why.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Those "rich people" you seem to hate so much spend way more in taxes every year than any of you ever will in a life time, at a higher percentage as well. They already pay for most the "free" crap people receive now. Fantasies about some kind of wealth redistribution carried out by a huge increase in tax percentages at upper brackets isn't going to pay off your college debts you've brought on yourself, and it's not going to make poor people any better off.

So much envy and greed breeding hate and contempt for people you know absolutely nothing about just so you don't have to take responsibility for your own problems in life but blame some faceless group of people for it all.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts
@mandzilla said:
@warmblur said:

People who assume they too will be filthy rich someday, and so don't want to rock the boat. I know that seems bizarre, but I'm convinced there are at least some folks out there who think this way.

And those people are more likely to become rich some day, because instead of sitting around, pissing and moaning because someone else, somewhere else has more money than them, they'll actually be trying, and taking the risks necessary to be successful. Just because I am not rich, doesn't mean I have to hate them and want them to be robbed because of some misguided idea that I would somehow benefit from that.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zaryia

@eoten said:

Those "rich people" you seem to hate so much spend way more in taxes every year than any of you ever will in a life time, at a higher percentage as well. They already pay for most the "free" crap people receive now. Fantasies about some kind of wealth redistribution carried out by a huge increase in tax percentages at upper brackets isn't going to pay off your college debts you've brought on yourself, and it's not going to make poor people any better off.

So much envy and greed breeding hate and contempt for people you know absolutely nothing about just so you don't have to take responsibility for your own problems in life but blame some faceless group of people for it all.

I was expecting you to cite data directly debunking the study instead of this fiction filled opinion-piece, but then I saw the user name and said "oh".

Man no wonder the GOP sucks at the economy.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 vl4d_l3nin

@zaryia said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Well now you're just arguing semantics rather than the economics. You're going to have to debunk the study posted, or I consider you accept and agree with the TC's link.

It only covers the last 50 years, when we have had out of control welfare spending. Supply-side economics worked best before we even called it that. The Coolidge tax cuts in the 20's and Kennedy tax cuts in the 60's worked well for prosperity for everyone.

Now, I'm not denying the rise in income inequality, I deny that it's "tax cuts for the rich" that are behind it. We spend a stupid amount of money on a shoestring safety net where we basically just pay people to stay poor. Increasing taxes isn't going to change that, it will only change where companies choose to do business.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 vl4d_l3nin

@ogvampire said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

From the article

Trickle-down economics is political, not scientific. Although it is commonly associated with supply-side economics, there is no single comprehensive economic policy identified as trickle-down economics.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zaryia

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@zaryia said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

It only covers the last 50 years, when we have had out of control welfare spending. Supply-side economics worked best before we even called it that. The Coolidge tax cuts in the 20's and Kennedy tax cuts in the 60's worked well for prosperity for everyone.

So basically, it's correct for modern history, for making policy decisions now. Not last century.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 vl4d_l3nin

@zaryia: Not only. Remember the 90's growth period you love to drool over? We cut hundreds of billions from Medicare and the military.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zaryia

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Now, I'm not denying the rise in income inequality, I deny that it's "tax cuts for the rich" that are behind it. We spend a stupid amount of money on a shoestring safety net where we basically just pay people to stay poor. Increasing taxes isn't going to change that, it will only change where companies choose to do business.

Since you are denying it, do you have the numbers for this to refute the claims by the study in the TC?

https://theconversation.com/footing-the-covid-19-bill-economic-case-for-tax-hike-on-wealthy-151945

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mattbbpl

@zaryia said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Since you are denying it, do you have the numbers for this to refute the claims by the study in the TC?

https://theconversation.com/footing-the-covid-19-bill-economic-case-for-tax-hike-on-wealthy-151945

He has a point in that we could take the alternate route and reduce pre-tax income and wealth inequality by reducing the (pretty staggering) rents built into our system via pre-tax policy decisions. This would entail policy objectives such as reducing monopoly power, reducing monopsony power, and increasing collective bargaining power. This could be done a lot of different ways such as reducing the length of patents and copyrights, implementing sectoral collective bargaining, increasing the minimum wage, and enforcing antitrust measures more effectively, but the right balks at those measures as well.

The increased inequality is the goal. The methods used to get there are largely irrelevant for the party.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin: If you are going to argue in favor of Coolidge era policy, I have some bad news about how that turned out.

As for Kennedy, he cut the top bracket from 90% to 70%, which even I would say was a reasonable thing to do. Right now top bracket is 35%, and I would argue the benefits of cutting this further would be minimal. Not to mention it would exacerbate our already out of control debt.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic

@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

About Reaganomics.

Still fit Reaganomics which came to be called trickle down so I don't know what you're complaining about.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ogvampire

@eoten said:

As usual, you attempt to discuss a topic you have no idea about.

the top 1% make as much money as the bottom 90% COMBINED, but on average they pay LESS percentage-wise in taxes than we do. you see, you're just looking at tax graph (which is mostly based off of W-2 wages) and think this gives you the whole picture. nope.

Despite the fact that different sources of income are taxed at different rates, the rich also take advantage of deductions that reduce their EFFECTIVE tax rate. for an example, look at what Mitt Romney pays percentage-wise in taxes. when he ran against Obama, he showed his tax returns for 2011... his final tax rate on making over $13 million: 14.1%. if you look at the tax bracket, he should have paid 37%... yet he didn't. this is why they pay for those pricey accountants that know how to take advantage of loopholes and tax laws that disproportionately benefit the rich.

us regular folks pay our fair share... the top 1% don't

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ogvampire

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@ogvampire said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

From the article

Trickle-down economics is political, not scientific. Although it is commonly associated with supply-side economics, there is no single comprehensive economic policy identified as trickle-down economics.

the term 'trickle down' may be political, but the theory behind it isn't. later in the same article:

"Any policy can be considered “trickle-down” if the following are true: First, a principal mechanism of the policy disproportionately benefits wealthy businesses and individuals in the short run. Second, the policy is designed to boost standards of living for all individuals in the long run."

in the end, you're just arguing semantics.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

So we've gotten bogged down in semantics over the term 'trickle' and and arguing about taxing the rich from a moral standpoint now. Figured this would most likely happen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-610a70a317506

@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

About Reaganomics.

Still fit Reaganomics which came to be called trickle down so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Not complaining. Just pointing out the obvious.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic

@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

The obvious that Reaganomics was trickle down which doesn't work...............

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@eoten said:
@mandzilla said:
@warmblur said:

And those people are more likely to become rich some day, because instead of sitting around, pissing and moaning because someone else, somewhere else has more money than them, they'll actually be trying, and taking the risks necessary to be successful. Just because I am not rich, doesn't mean I have to hate them and want them to be robbed because of some misguided idea that I would somehow benefit from that.

I'm not rich either, and don't hate those who are due to jealousy or anything like that. Just recognise the very reasonable point that the top earners should shoulder their fair share of the tax burden relative to the amount of wealth they possess.

Progressive tax is not robbery, and would in fact benefit the vast majority by reducing income inequality. In what way do you feel that you benefit from trickle down economics?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

Trickle down economics definitely works. I feel trickled down upon all the time! There's definitely something trickling down all over my face. If I don't think too hard about it I can pretend it's wealth.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127518 Posts

@mandzilla said:
@eoten said:
@mandzilla said:
@warmblur said:

I'm not rich either, and don't hate those who are due to jealousy or anything like that. Just recognise the very reasonable point that the top earners should shoulder their fair share of the tax burden relative to the amount of wealth they possess.

Progressive tax is not robbery, and would in fact benefit the vast majority by reducing income inequality. In what way do you feel that you benefit from trickle down economics?

The shower/rain is golden coloured dude. Couldn't get that without trickle down economics :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-610a70a317506

@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Because Will Rogers said so, right?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@comeonman said:

No. I mentioned him to tell you where the phrase originated as opposed to your false statement. Trickle down doesn't work but it's a failed economic policy.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zaryia

@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@comeonman said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

"The new paper, by David Hope of the London School of Economics and Julian Limberg of King's College London, examines 18 developed countries — from Australia to the United States — over a 50-year period from 1965 to 2015. The study compared countries that passed tax cuts in a specific year, such as the U.S. in 1982 when President Ronald Reagan slashed taxes on the wealthy, with those that didn't, and then examined their economic outcomes."

Like...did you even read the Original Post?

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan: I thought this was obvious.

In the last recession, Obama used QE to boost the stock market. Stocks are primarily held by the rich. Hence when the rich make losses on their investments the government bails them out. But if a sole trader goes bankrupt, “it’s capitalism baby.”

As Noam Chomsky said, “the US is communist for the rich and capitalism for everyone else.”