Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

So realclearpolitics has a tracker for this and we are now at 51K plus cases here in the US making us third place in the world below Italy at number 2 and China at number 1. I had checked this yesterday, and we were around 49K. Here's the question for this, how long until we take the number two spot from Italy? Do you think we will overtake China and become #1?

Now in terms of deaths we're at 658 and in 6th place overall worldwide. Yesterday it was 450 something deaths. Do you think we're going to see a large growth in deaths as well, or do you think we're going to have it under control?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Update. rcp seems to be a bit behind in terms of up to date information so I'm switching the link to the one N64DD provided.

Update. 3/26 The US is officially number one in confirmed cases at 81,996 cases. You can rest assured that we will have 82k plus by the end of the day. Yesterday 3/25, we were at 68,211. We're still 6th in terms of deaths, buuut it's on the rise as well.

Update. 3/30 we are officially number 5 in overall in total deaths at 2,940. We're still number one in total cases.

Update. 3/31 we are officially number 3 in overall in total deaths at 3,186. We're still number one in total cases.

Update. 4/5 if yesterday is anything to go by, and I believe it is, the US is now number 1 in new deaths recorded on a daily basis by a fairly wide margin. It won't be long (this week perhaps) until we are the number 1 country in total deaths from covid-19. I'll update it the day we are. That said, I'll also update if we start to slow down in deaths, and confirmed cases in a meaningful way.

Italy and Spain are both showing some promise (albeit in a very short term view, but what else is there at this point?) in daily deaths (DD) and new cases (NC). Italy hit a peak of DD back on March 27th at 919 and NC back on March 21st at 6557. Spain I'm far less confident about, but it's DD maybe peaked on April 2nd at 961, and it's peaked it's NC on March 26th at 8271 with a very gradual decline since then.

If these trends change in Italy and Spain I will update as well.

Update. 4/5 I don't intend to update every time our numbers dip (but I intend to if it becomes a trend), but this is the first time since March 21st we can say that we have had a dip in NC. 8,880 fewer cases today than yesterday, and a 165 fewer deaths today. One day does not a trend make, but hopefully (however unlikely) this is where the downward trend begins.

Update. 4/9 The US is now number 2 in the world in total deaths topping Spain who previously held the number 2 spot. We've been outstripping Spain and Italy, the previous top two, in daily deaths for a while now so this was only a matter of time, but I figure it warrants the update. We'll likely be ahead of Italy and take the number 1 spot at some point next week.

On a separate note, we have yet to reach a high of daily new cases going back to April 4th (34,196), but we seemed to have plateaued as well seeing as how we have had several days of 30k plus new cases every day and we have had almost 2000 people die for the last two days in a row. Given that it takes 10-14 days to die from Covid-19 (if you're going to die that is) we're going to almost certainly continue to see these really high numbers of daily deaths for the next couple of months or so.

Update 4/11 we are officially number one in total deaths in the world at 20k and counting. Yesterday we hit a new high of over 2k deaths per day, and we're at well over 500k cases. The only "silver lining" is that we've plateaued in new cases of around 30-33k daily new cases.

Update 4/15. So three things of note. First the bad, we reached a new high in daily deaths yesterday at 2407. Second, we are now over 600k total cases.

Third, the potential good news is that we are starting to consistently see fewer new daily cases. For a little over a week we were seeing over 30k new cases a day, now we've been in the sub 30k range for a few days. I'm hesitating a bit because most of those days were weekend days, but it happened yesterday as well so it may be real. Only time will tell for sure.

Update. 4/25 Been a while, but I needed a break from looking at this all the time. At any rate, we reached yet another new high in new daily cases (38,958) and kept at the overall plateau, averaging out to 30,221.83 per day so far this week. We have also been averaging over 2000 deaths a day with a grand total of 52,217 deaths so far.

I think it's fair to say that the more days we have of 30k plus new cases the more days we will see 2k deaths or more each new day.

Update. 6/15. Well over 2 million confirmed cases (2,162,228 to be exact) and 117,858 dead. The number of overall deaths in the country have gone way down thankfully, and new cases have declined as well, but so has testing from what I understand. We are seeing surges in new cases where areas of the country have started opening back up. Naturally, that's to be expected.

Update. 8/16. Over 5.5 million confirmed in the US and 173,128 dead. The number of overall deaths has risen in recent weeks back to over a thousand deaths a day. New daily cases have started to go down, but only after reaching numbers as high as 70k a day, which means we are way above where we were back in March-April when we were seeing 30K a day. We're also way above the number of daily deaths when assholes were calling on things to get back to normal and open the economy back up.

Update. 9/15. We officially hit 200 thousand deaths today. 200,197 to be exact. As most people know, Trump knew how dangerous this virus was back in February and lied to the public about it. Here we are, over 200 thousand people dead just 6 months later.

Update. 10/25. 230,068 people dead as of yesterday. 79,449 new infections yesterday as well. The country is spiking in new cases again so we can expect a rise in daily deaths over the next 2-3 weeks.

Update 11/15. 251,256 people dead as of yesterday. 157,253 new infections yesterday as well. The US is in its 3rd wave with well over a hundred thousand being confirmed each day and rising daily death numbers as well. There are two bits of good news about this, first is that doctors have clearly gotten better at treatments. We have way more people being confirmed to have covid, but less people dying a day when it first hit. 1260 people died yesterday, but it wasn't 3 thousand. Second, there appears to be real hope of getting a vaccine much earlier than expected thanks to Pfizer who has a serious potential candidate that reports to have a 90% effectiveness rate. Hopefully that's going to end up being a really good breakthrough and turn the tide on this really terrible disease.

Update 12/11. We have officially passed 300k deaths today, not even a month after getting passed 205k. The current number is 302,750 deaths with 3,019 dead today. We'll be getting the vaccine to a limited number of health care workers as soon as next week, but I don't see the numbers decreasing any time soon.

Update 12/30. Another 50k dead in just the last 20 days. 350,778 dead, 20,216,991 total cases. A new strain of covid is in the US now by the way, it's only 70% more infectious.

Source

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4092714001

Update 01/15/21. Well we've officially hit 400K deaths in the US today. 401,868 is the official number for the day and we're pretty regularly hitting 4k deaths a day now. At this rate I expect more than 100k deaths just in January alone.

Update 01/30/2021. We're at 450,381 dead which means that over 100k dead in just January alone. I guess on the plus side the number of infections per day seems to be subsiding a bit. I hope the vaccine rollout gets better soon.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

trump is already whining about the economy. Hopefully the governor's continue on their path or we will be ahead.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

Watch Florida. They haven't shut down, their numbers are growing, and they're disproportionately old.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50606 Posts

I like this site: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

has a bunch of stats

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

we've been on an exponential curve doubling the number of new cases every 3 days or so, so we'd surpass china by friday if that rate and testing kept up. if the testing is limited or if our actions have had any affect, it could take longer. but we're certainly on a path to overtake them soon. US fatality rate currently is a little over 1%

of course, this assumes china is being honest about their numbers as well....

for americans+canadians here's a good site that breaks down state by state cases and even by county.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/#stat

ny currently accounts for 50% of all US cases.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

US will most likely overtake China by the end of the week in terms of confirmed cases.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@horgen said:

US will most likely overtake China by the end of the week in terms of confirmed cases.

So you think there will be 20-30k more by the end of Sunday?

But, let's be real here do you believe the number from China because pretty much the entire world does not?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk: Already another 9K new confirmed cases so far today. Another 10K it was yesterday.

But lets be real here. Deflection is what you do when a US stat is likely to get bad real fast.

However since you ask. No I do not believe it. But it is the only thing we have to work with. Likewise I do not trust the number of US confirmed cases as well.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

US looking to be #1 by next week.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Serraph105: China has it somewhat under control according to official numbers. While I have some scepticism about all these numbers myself, China's numbers are unlikely to be a complete lie because of some of their actions. (Sending help to Italy including equipment to fight the virus for instance.) The increase of new known cases in Italy is slowing down. Italy has a smaller population.

The USA is still pretty early on in their attempts to get it under control. Testing has been rather limited. The numbers seemed way off at the start... so I think the numbers have been playing catch up.

I don't know why the numbers are still this big in Italy. But the slowdown is still promising. I think it took a while (which is natural) for Italy's population to understand how serious the situation is. It would make sense I think for the USA to surpass Italy's total cases (and with that also China's) by the end of this month.

However many things can change this. (Rules in place, public response, supplies, sudden mass immigration (from Turkey for instance), etc.)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jacanuk

@horgen said:

@Jacanuk: Already another 9K new confirmed cases so far today. Another 10K it was yesterday.

But lets be real here. Deflection is what you do when a US stat is likely to get bad real fast.

However since you ask. No I do not believe it. But it is the only thing we have to work with. Likewise I do not trust the number of US confirmed cases as well.

No, need to deflect and why would anyone deflect? I am simply asking if you believe the Chinese numbers?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk: @Jacanuk:Already answered it. Do you believe the US numbers?

and yes why would you deflect?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jacanuk

@horgen said:

@Jacanuk: @Jacanuk:Already answered it. Do you believe the US numbers?

and yes why would you deflect?

I believe the us numbers with an anti-trump free US media would jump on any numbers or discrepancy.

But why would I deflect? the virus is not trumps doing.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk: You do believe there is as of this post almost 52K cases in US and nothing more?

I don’t know why you would deflect, however you do it a lot. Trumps response is vital to the number of cases US eventually get.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I like this site: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

has a bunch of stats

Yep, that is the one I like best because it is right up there with others on latest real time stats but I find it displays the data in an easier to look at format and better navigation.

But that could be confirmation bias since I have used it for the past few months.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jacanuk

@horgen said:

@Jacanuk: You do believe there is as of this post almost 52K cases in US and nothing more?

I don’t know why you would deflect, however you do it a lot. Trumps response is vital to the number of cases US eventually get.

Yes, I believe the US numbers are as bad and also that NY especially hit hard. It´s like The Division was a horrible crystal ball.

I have zero reasons to disbelieve the us number considering the number of journalists out there fact-checking them constantly.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:

Indeed and he's talking about ending isolation already...……..pos.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

If the coronavirus lockdown leads to a fall in GDP of more than 6.4 per cent more years of life will be lost due to recession than will be gained through beating the virus, a study suggests. Keeping the economy going in the next year was crucial, otherwise, the measures would “do more harm than good”.

There is sound reasoning behind not just keep isolating and closing down the country for months and months.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

If the coronavirus lockdown leads to a fall in GDP of more than 6.4 per cent more years of life will be lost due to recession than will be gained through beating the virus, a study suggests. Keeping the economy going in the next year was crucial, otherwise, the measures would “do more harm than good”.

There is sound reasoning behind not just keep isolating and closing down the country for months and months.

And which study is that? The stockholder's study...….

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

The Times reference, so you can go check it yourself.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

So no source. Which is what I thought.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
Member since 2019 • 653 Posts

USA! USA! USA!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Philip Thomas suggests this can occur. But that is not a peer reviewed study.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacanuk

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Well, sure its an opinion, all studies of that sort are, but that does make him any less of an expert, which I know you guys love.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Well, sure its an opinion, all studies of that sort are, but that does make him any less of an expert, which I know you guys love.

No a study is not an opinion. Your source is an opinion formed after what......a month or less? Many jobs are still being done while the isolation is in effect so it shouldn't have a dramatic impact. It's reprehensible to put money over human life though in any case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

Does anybody really think this is just a flu?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 comp_atkins

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No a study is not an opinion. Your source is an opinion formed after what......a month or less? Many jobs are still being done while the isolation is in effect so it shouldn't have a dramatic impact. It's reprehensible to put money over human life though in any case.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@KungfuKitten: @Jacanuk: @comp_atkins: Obviously when the US figures are creeping close to the Chinese figures, the Chinese figures would be fake! (Sinophobia kicks in logic and reason jumps out the window).

Every case in China was made public down to the estate where the person was infected. Then the government sends out a crew and disinfects the entire region. I would say the Chinese figures are pretty accurate. Problems may lie with people who died very early on (but the data tried to capture this in mid-February when thousands of cases were added in a single day) and potentially some people died at home alone in very remote areas.

Why bother faking then at 81,XXX? They're already pretty bad. What is the motive to fake the figures? Create a false sense of security? Encourage people to go out and party?

But yes, the US is likely to overtake China in terms of the number of infections within 10 days, but I doubt the fatality rate will be quite as high.

Why is this happening to the US? Because of Donald Trump's stupidity and inaction. He had so much time to prepare, literally months of preparation but he did nothing. Didn't he swear to protect the lives of Americans?

FergLio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FergLio
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

hey gamers check out the coronavirus clip I made. to shine a little humor on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvvfV9PlbOo&t=6s

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9824 Posts

@thegreatchomp: No. Obviously. Please dont tell me you do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@sealionact: what! Do you think America will survive this or not?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sealionact

@thegreatchomp: Of course the vast majority will...but it has mutated twice in a very short period of time, and it's nothing like the flu. 3 of my family members have Corona, and trust me...you'd rather have the flu.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@sealionact: That doesn’t answer my question. Do you think the country will survive or collapse?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sealionact

@thegreatchomp: You didnt read my answer. I said the vast majority of people will survive this. America wont collapse anymore than it has in other times of crisis. There will be hard times, and these crisis bring out the best and worst in people but we will recover.

Now you can answer my question. Do you think this is flu?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@sealionact: Where did I say it was a flu?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sealionact

@thegreatchomp: "Does anybody really think this is just a flu?"

Could be a question or a statement. I'm just asking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@sealionact: Question. How anybody could think is a flu really confuses me.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By comp_atkins

@kadin_kai: don't what to tell you. when the chinese government routinely and continuously suppresses information to its people and the rest of the world, is it so shocking that the world will have doubts about their number reporting? their own actions breed mistrust.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kadin_Kai

@comp_atkins said:

@kadin_kai: don't what to tell you. when the chinese government routinely and continuously suppresses information to its people and the rest of the world, is it so shocking that the world will have doubts about their number reporting? their own actions breed mistrust.

Same old same old huh. Nothing ever concrete and as per usual logic and reason jumps out of the window.

Perhaps try thinking about it rather than just being brain-washed by prejudice. It is funny though, prejudice often overrides reason and logic.

Why would the Chinese government lie about the figures? What is the motive? What will be the consequence?

Why is it that out of the 81,XXX cases of infection so far, each one is tied to a location and made available publically.

If you really want to understand about fake numbers, try to find out what sectors of an economy were added to GDP in the US, the UK and the European Union in the past decade. You might be a little shocked how the figures are being *massaged.

*hint

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@kadin_kai: I'm routinely confused by your insane loyalty towards the Chinese government? Do you also believe them when they say it was US troops that spread covid-19 there, are they still trying to peddle that?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chutebox

@vfighter: It's why I don't bother. I'm honestly very surprised.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kadin_Kai

@vfighter said:

@kadin_kai: I'm routinely confused by your insane loyalty towards the Chinese government? Do you also believe them when they say it was US troops that spread covid-19 there, are they still trying to peddle that?

I'm happy to answer your questions.

Firstly, China did not actually blame the US troops as the source of COVID-19. The guy (forgot his name) was questioned about where it came from and one of the possible sources he said was the US troops who were in Wuhan. He said it to indicate it was one of a million possibilities. And theoretically speaking it is one of many possibilities because the exact origin is still unknown. The Chinese would not hide this, because if they found out the source and patient zero, the world will be close to a vaccine.

But no I don't think the US Troops spread the disease, but I also doubt there are many bat eaters in China, I've certainly never heard of it.

Secondly, I am a British born Chinese, but I left the UK to move to China several years ago, so that's my disclaimer. I do not have a blind loyalty to anyone, I am an outsider no matter where I go. But I often support the Chinese government because for work and personally, I had to study China for decades and I understand how it works, economically and politically.

The west portrays China in the worst possible light but in reality, the Chinese government has done more for its people than another other government in the past 50 years, which is why the Chinese, in general, are very supportive and trusts the government.

Just compare China with India in the past 40 years, India may have its so-called democracy, but China is now a middle-income country, the biggest trading nation in the world, technologically advanced and the leading country in clean energy. That may not mean much to a westerner, but the Chinese were starving 40 years ago. By 2035 China is more than likely to be the biggest economy in the world and that means a lot for the people here.

It's not just about the economy or surging standards of living, but I appreciate the difficult choices made by the Chinese government which is it often criticised for. The one-child policy for instance, if that were not in place the Chinese population would be around 2.50 billion right now. Not only would starvation continue, but the country would be a failed state. But of course, nobody really considers this in the west, you just hear about forced abortions.

Or how about the HK protests and some people want HK to become an independent country. The western media wouldn't tell you that HK depends on China for water, gas and electricity, there isn't any space in HK to have these facilities, it's the most densely populated city on earth. Or would it mention that the Hong Kong dollar peg to the US dollar is the root cause of inequality in HK and this led to social discontent because half of HK is fairly wealthy and the other half are fairly poor. The western media also failed to show how people who support the police were being beaten up, faces spray painted and even set alight. Hence I did not support the protests, because in fact, it wouldn't free HK it would destroy it.

I could go on and on and on. You probably won't even believe me, but just think for a second about your conceptions of China and consider whether these are really still up to date.

I lived in the UK for 37 years, I couldn't stand paying 44% income tax and so much of it was going into military adventurism, which is the primary reason I left.

Anyhow this is not the right place to talk about this.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@vfighter said:

Can you imagine what the liberals would say if Trump came out and said the nonsense the poster said. They would say he is a puppet of China in no time. If you don't trust Russia why in the hell would you trust anything out of China. Sorry if you believe China then you believe everything Russia says also.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss said:
@vfighter said:

Can you imagine what the liberals would say if Trump came out and said the nonsense the poster said. They would say he is a puppet of China in no time. If you don't trust Russia why in the hell would you trust anything out of China. Sorry if you believe China then you believe everything Russia says also.

Well trump's allegiance should be with the US. Someone from another country...…..no.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chutebox

Dear New York Residents,

Stay where the **** you are and self-quarantine your ass for at least 14 days.

Sincerely,

Everyone Else.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@Chutebox: You need to look well beyond New York. New York waited too long, don't be like NY.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chutebox

@mattbbpl said:

@Chutebox: You need to look well beyond New York. New York waited too long, don't be like NY.

Ya, but they fleeing New York and potentially spreading it even more.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic

@mattbbpl said:

Think he doesn't want them going to other states with the infection...………...