Ron DeSantis has banned Critical race theory from being taught in the state of Florida.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

A great win against Neo-racism and forced indoctrination of school children.

https://thecapitolist.com/florida-board-of-education-passes-rule-banning-critical-race-theory-in-public-schools/

Proponents of the proposal say that critical race theory is a philosophical movement that seeks to undermine American principles and indoctrinate students into believing that the country was largely built on racism.

The Governor added that critical race theory has brought “ideology and political activism into the forefront of education,” noting that the teachings are “toxic” and sow division.

“Some of this stuff is, I think, really toxic,” DeSantis continued. “I think it’s going to cause a lot of divisions. I think it’ll cause people to think of themselves more as a member of a particular race based on skin color, rather than based on the content of their character and based on their hard work and what they’re trying to accomplish in life.”

Great start. Let's go back to judging people by the content of their character, rather than the color of their skin imo.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7001 Posts

I'm liking this guy more and more.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

It's not surprising to see the establishment banning something that the sole purpose is to question that same establishment.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

Anytime the right whines about indoctrination then I know it's knowledge they fear.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 appariti0n

@ghost_of_phobos: Really? Kinda thought the idea was to examine everything through the lens of race, rather than content of character.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-race-theory

"Critical race theory (CRT), intellectual movement and loosely organized framework of legal analysis based on the premise that race is not a natural, biologically grounded feature of physically distinct subgroups of human beings but a socially constructed (culturally invented) category that is used to oppress and exploit people of colour. Critical race theorists hold that the law and legal institutions in the United States are inherently racist insofar as they function to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites, especially African Americans."

Replace "Whites" with "Jews", and "non-Whites" with "Aryans", and what does this read exactly like?

Any unjust policy one could target using critical race theory, using "race" as the criteria could just as easily be achieved by targeting "class" instead. Without labelling one particular skin color as the historical "big bad".

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 appariti0n

@LJS9502_basic said:

Anytime the right whines about indoctrination then I know it's knowledge they fear.

That's a Kafka trap unfortunately.

Avatar image for deactivated-622fe92f3678e
deactivated-622fe92f3678e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By deactivated-622fe92f3678e
Member since 2021 • 1836 Posts

Critical race theory (CRT) is an academic movement of civil rights scholars and activists in the United States who seek to critically examine the law as it intersects with issues of race and to challenge mainstream liberal approaches to racial justice.[1] Critical race theory examines social, cultural and legal issues as they relate to race and racism.[2][3]

I wonder why………. Vote him out

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 appariti0n

@thenation: Can you name a specific "systemically racist" policy that could not be corrected if the criteria for it was "class" instead of "race"?

Also, please link where you got your definition from.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-622fe92f3678e

@appariti0n: Are you really arguing systemic racism doesn’t exist because if you change it from race to class it’s not racist anymore. That has to be the weakest argument against systemic racism in history. You can change the focus of anything to do that. Do better.

And Wikipedia.

“ Proponents of the proposal say that critical race theory is a philosophical movement that seeks to undermine American principles and indoctrinate students into believing that the country was largely built on racism”

Ummm…….. It was built on racism. That’s why conservatives try to get rid of this, they don’t want that known. They want the evils of the past hidden.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 appariti0n

@thenation: Nah, more than just conservatives want it gone, because it teaches black kids they're oppressed, and white kids they're the oppressors.

When in reality a poor white guy has far more in common with a poor black guy than he ever would have on common with a rich white guy.

You can go ahead and try to lump me into the "conservative" monolith all you want but it won't work. I hold far too many other views that are not typically associated with conservatives.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic

@appariti0n said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

That's a Kafka trap unfortunately.

Nope. It's the right stifling opposing views again.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 appariti0n

@LJS9502_basic: Well, if you're claiming that ANY time someone says "indoctrination", that it's simply fear of knowledge, thats a Kafka trap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-622fe92f3678e

@appariti0n: No. That’s not what that means.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By appariti0n

@thenation:

@LJS9502_basic

Ok.

So let's say a school starts teaching that Jesus Christ is our lord and savior, and we can achieve eternal life only through him.

Would you call that indoctrination?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-622fe92f3678e

@appariti0n: Yes. And unconstitutional.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts
@silentchief said:

I'm liking this guy more and more.

I hope he runs in 2024 with a Trump endorsement.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By appariti0n

@thenation said:

@appariti0n: Yes. And unconstitutional.

No, that's just the left fearing knowledge/stifling opposing views.

See what I mean?

Under those conditions, even actual indoctrination is dismissed as "fear of knowledge".

Very much a Kafka trap.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 appariti0n

@thenation said:

@appariti0n: Love how you ignore the whole post. And black people are oppressed, denying racism exists won’t fix it.

Lmao! No that white kid wouldnt because his options and chances to get himself out of poverty and his treatment while he is poor are way different.

Jokes? That wasn’t pointed directly at you.

Where did I deny that racism exists? This is a strawman now.

I'm saying it's counterproductive to enact policies on the basis of race to correct injustice, when "class" could be used equally well.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23048 Posts

@appariti0n said:

@ghost_of_phobos: Really? Kinda thought the idea was to examine everything through the lens of race, rather than content of character.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-race-theory

"Critical race theory (CRT), intellectual movement and loosely organized framework of legal analysis based on the premise that race is not a natural, biologically grounded feature of physically distinct subgroups of human beings but a socially constructed (culturally invented) category that is used to oppress and exploit people of colour. Critical race theorists hold that the law and legal institutions in the United States are inherently racist insofar as they function to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites, especially African Americans."

Replace "Whites" with "Jews", and "non-Whites" with "Aryans", and what does this read exactly like?

Any unjust policy one could target using critical race theory, using "race" as the criteria could just as easily be achieved by targeting "class" instead. Without labelling one particular skin color as the historical "big bad".

What's controversial about that definition? We have documented proof of legal and political systems, both past and present, causing inequalities between whites and nonwhites. It's not exactly a secret.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattbbpl

@appariti0n said:
@thenation said:

@appariti0n: Love how you ignore the whole post. And black people are oppressed, denying racism exists won’t fix it.

Lmao! No that white kid wouldnt because his options and chances to get himself out of poverty and his treatment while he is poor are way different.

Jokes? That wasn’t pointed directly at you.

Where did I deny that racism exists? This is a strawman now.

I'm saying it's counterproductive to enact policies on the basis of race to correct injustice, when "class" could be used equally well.

This is an entirely separate thing from banning critical race theory, but it's one I can get behind for a number of reasons. You should make this - using class based policies to combat racist inequities - your central argument rather than arguing about the presence of systemic racism.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 appariti0n

@mattbbpl:

What's controversial about that definition? We have documented proof of legal and political systems, both past and present, causing inequalities between whites and nonwhites. It's not exactly a secret.

Yes fair enough, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm not saying there are no inequalities caused by policies which were originally enacted with racist intent. I'm trying to state that teaching kids they are oppressed/oppressor in a "racist country" is the wrong approach. And teaching kids to view each other as oppressed/oppressor because of their skin color is neo-racism imo.

This is an entirely separate thing from banning critical race theory, but it's one I can get behind for a number of reasons. You should make this - using class based policies to combat racist inequities - your central argument rather than arguing about the presence of systemic racism.

Yes, and I'm really puzzled why this wasn't done from the beginning, rather than the focus on skin color.

IE: If there are 20,000 kids across various schools who are far behind everyone else and need help, and 18,000 of them are black, the other 2,000 are white, the solution is not to extend an olive branch to only the black kids.

Not only does this alienate white folks, but it also alienates some of the black folks who are succeeding, by essentially implying their race can't succeed without white saviors coming in to help them.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I see it as both class and race. like the the Anti-drug use act of 1986 when the Crack Cocaine epidemic hit the US in the 1980s. Crack's availability and cheapness made it hit the minority community the hardest (poor class), while at the same time powder Cocaine was everywhere in the rich community (predominantly white WASPs)

The act made a "mandatory minimum 5 year prison sentence" for 5 grams of Crack, while with Cocaine, it was 500 grams to a pound (100 times more) for the same 5 year sentence. So Essentially you'd get a slap on the wrist for the rich (and predominantly white class) drug and a prison sentence for the poor (and predominantly minority class) drug.

This can be both seen as a class biased issue due to the more wealthy getting away with more and also a race issue due to the fact that, in that time, the classes affected where of a predominant race in said class. With that being said, the devil is in the details. Dan Lungren, who helped draft the act even said "we didn't have an evidentiary basis for it." You can assess the rationale from there. Food for thought.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 appariti0n

@rmiller365 said:

I see it as both class and race. like the the Anti-drug use act of 1986 when the Crack Cocaine epidemic hit the US in the 1980s. Crack's availability and cheapness made it hit the minority community the hardest (poor class), while at the same time powder Cocaine was everywhere in the rich community (predominantly white WASPs)

The act made a "mandatory minimum 5 year prison sentence" for 5 grams of Crack, while with Cocaine, it was 500 grams to a pound (100 times more) for the same 5 year sentence. So Essentially you'd get a slap on the wrist for the rich (and predominantly white class) drug and a prison sentence for the poor (and predominantly minority class) drug.

This can be both seen as a class biased issue due to the more wealthy getting away with more and also a race issue due to the fact that, in that time, the classes affected where of a predominant race in said class. With that being said, the devil is in the details. Dan Lungren, who helped draft the act even said "we didn't have an evidentiary basis for it." You can assess the rationale from there. Food for thought.

See, I'm not sure if the war on drugs was intentionally designed to put more black people in Jail, but it certainly had that effect. And if I recall correctly, Cocaine was a different schedule drug than Crack?

But yes, I am in favor 100% of no jail time for simple possession of small amounts of any drugs, favoring treatment instead. I never really WAS for incarceration for simple possession. Which is one of the reason why I laugh when I get labeled a "right wing" or "conservative".

Don't even get me started on private/for profit companies managing prisons either lol.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

So can anyone point out a systemically racist law yet?

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By appariti0n

@eoten said:

I think Gerrymandering has come up before?

Though one could argue that's less about race, and more about ensuring one political party wins a district.

Edit: Though I guess that's not so much a "law" as a policy.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4388 Posts

also voter id cards to..

btw fl wont teach about . the mass death of African Americans in a single day. due to a flood. oh and the owners of the land they lived on. force them to clean up all the bodies. whites first then there...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@appariti0n: The secret, of course, is that any policies of significance that will be enacted will be class based.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

@appariti0n said:

@LJS9502_basic: Well, if you're claiming that ANY time someone says "indoctrination", that it's simply fear of knowledge, thats a Kafka trap.

You're twisting in the wind trying to excuse this. And no, it's not a Kafka trap.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattbbpl

@appariti0n said:
@eoten said:

Though one could argue that's less about race, and more about ensuring one political party wins a district.

That's a winner. The documents from Hofeller explicitly mention suppressing black peoples' votes for political gain.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By appariti0n

@LJS9502_basic said:
@appariti0n said:

You're twisting in the wind trying to excuse this. And no, it's not a Kafka trap.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Kafkatrap

"A sophisticalrhetorical device in which any denial by an accusedpersonserves as evidence of guilt"

Hence, if a conservative claims they are NOT just trying to suppress knowledge, and that it's indoctrination, it doesn't matter. They're just trying to suppress knowledge.

Or the other option is to admit they are trying to suppress knowledge.

Do you see a third option a conservative could use when accused of trying to suppress knowledge?

If there's no 3rd option, it's a Kafka trap. Plain and simple.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 appariti0n
@firedrakes said:

also voter id cards to..

btw fl wont teach about . the mass death of African Americans in a single day. due to a flood. oh and the owners of the land they lived on. force them to clean up all the bodies. whites first then there...

Voter ID cards is a tough one, and a brilliant strategy by the Republicans actually.

Because ID cards are required by all, one can't accuse Republicans of being racist, unless you also admit you believe that Black people for some reason aren't smart enough/motivated enough to go get ID cards. The Democrats fell for it too. Hook line and sinker.

The smart course of action would have been "We don't think there was any widespread election fraud, but we do support strengthening the integrity of our voting system".

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

@appariti0n: Indoctrination is a loaded word but we hear conservatives use it for college all the time. Which means they don't know what the word means, use it to instill fear, or both. Like I said when they throw that word around then I do not take them seriously. Also why is the right so afraid to learn about race in this country?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mattbbpl

@appariti0n: "unless you also admit you believe that Black people for some reason aren't smart enough/motivated enough to go get ID cards"

Not at all! The law of large numbers indicates that all you need for the strategy to be effective is to make it more inconvenient than it already is. Out of tens of millions of affected citizens, discouraging just a small fraction from participating in the the process which is usually decided by small margins is very effective.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15584 Posts

Classic Republican move. Don't like a problem? Pretend it doesn't exist. Always works out.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 appariti0n

@LJS9502_basic said:

@appariti0n: Indoctrination is a loaded word but we hear conservatives use it for college all the time. Which means they don't know what the word means, use it to instill fear, or both. Like I said when they throw that word around then I do not take them seriously. Also why is the right so afraid to learn about race in this country?

I'm not so sure banning Critical Race theory actually prevents all discussions of race period does it?

Rather the intent is to ban the idea that America is an inherently racist country, and that whites are the oppressors/blacks are the oppressed.

I hear what you're saying, but unless you qualify with "most of the time" or "very often" etc before the statement about conservatives wanting to suppress knowledge any time they use the word "indoctrination", it's unfortunately a Kafka trap. As there's no option where it actually IS indoctrination.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By appariti0n
@mattbbpl said:

@appariti0n: "unless you also admit you believe that Black people for some reason aren't smart enough/motivated enough to go get ID cards"

Not at all! The law of large numbers indicates that all you need for the strategy to be effective is to make it more inconvenient than it already is. Out of tens of millions of affected citizens, discouraging just a small fraction from participating in the the process which is usually decided by small margins is very effective.

Oh yeah, I can clearly see the intent behind it. I'm just saying as soon as some Democrats started labelling it as a "racist" policy, it's all too easy for the Republicans to flip it around and call the Democrats racist for assuming black people are too lazy/unmotivated etc to vote.

Essentially they walked right into that one, when they should have jumped onboard without batting an eye. It would have totally defeated the purpose imo. Could have even instituted something at the federal level to help anyone who needs an ID get one quickly and for free etc.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

@appariti0n said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm not so sure banning Critical Race theory actually prevents all discussions of race period does it?

Rather the intent is to ban the idea that America is an inherently racist country, and that whites are the oppressors/blacks are the oppressed.

I hear what you're saying, but unless you qualify with "most of the time" or "very often" etc before the statement about conservatives wanting to suppress knowledge any time they use the word "indoctrination", it's unfortunately a Kafka trap. As there's no option where it actually IS indoctrination.

I have yet to find an instance where they use the word against further education on subjects. Feel free to show some examples. It's like the word socialist. They throw that around all the time as well to gin up fear.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mattbbpl

@appariti0n: Such IDs were proposed in the past. I think the last push was in the early 2010s, IIRC.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

I like how liberals think that YouTube videos and social media shitposts are capable of radicalizing people into terrorists, but actually radicalizing youth with years of educational indoctrination is just expanding their minds.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Eoten

So, going back to that "voter ID is racist" story? Really digging deep aren't we? Since it's been disproven that voter ID is even racist. Gerrymandering is a laugh. It's extensively done by both parties and hard to prove it's ever done based on race. In fact, most blacks live in the major cities which get redrawn the most, and divided the most to increase the number of seats in office, and those redrawn major city districts, where the vast majority of blacks live, are almost entirely blue.

So if anybody is actually guilty of any kind of systemic racism towards blacks, it's the same party pushing critical race theory. I mean, y'all did vote for a segregationalist.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mattbbpl

@eoten: Nope, you've been shown numerous times that what you just said above is false. You're simply complicit.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@eoten said:

So if anybody is actually guilty of any kind of systemic racism towards blacks, it's the same party pushing critical race theory. I mean, y'all did vote for a segregationalist.

IMO holding down a certain group of people based on the ideas they are unable to function w/o help of said political party appears quite systemic on its own.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Eoten

@Solaryellow said:
@eoten said:

IMO holding down a certain group of people based on the ideas they are unable to function w/o help of said political party appears quite systemic on its own.

It does. Do they also not run the cities that pick the commissioners that hire the chief that hire the cops they're also screaming are Klan members out to murder blacks for fun? Yet, those on the left on here have assured me time and time again that there's no racism in their party, the parties also switched from when they were using national guard to keep blacks out of public schools as well. That's why we need to listen those same leftists pushing critical race theory because it couldn't possibly be designed to do anything nefarious, right?

Critical race theory is indoctrination, creating a victim class, a new class of "have nots", while demonizing the "haves" (just like Marx taught) which by contrast, is whites. It's designed to create racism by creating racial division and worsening race relations by convincing large portions of the population that they're entitled to things the rest of us are not, and by not giving it to them, we're oppressing and victimizing them. It's designed to indoctrinate children into an incorrect far left ideology while their minds are still young and impressionable.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

The people complaining the most about 'cancel culture' are dead set on canceling any mention of race and the impacts it has had, or continues to have, on our country today. Unsurprisingly the same people who would love to dismiss evolution and global warming being taught as well. Just another reason to vote these people out of office.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
@mattbbpl said:
@appariti0n said:

That's a winner. The documents from Hofeller explicitly mention suppressing black peoples' votes for political gain.

We've got our hands on Hofeller's documents which are very explicit in their intent, which people tend to always 'forget' (or ignore). It isn't coded language, it isn't nuanced, it's stated out loud. Hell, his own daughter turned them in since she was so disgusted by him. This is the republican play book. There's no denying it.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

lol culture war nonsense.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zaryia
@eoten said:

I do know of strictly systemic race based practices to gain advantages in elections. Racial Gerrymandering and attempted census questions which fortunately get shot down. I know because they literally admitted to it in leaked documents.

Deceased G.O.P. Strategist’s Hard Drives Reveal New Details on the Census Citizenship Question - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Several of the areas that Republicans tried to over turn the election from 2020 were primarily black. Several of these phony 2020 election lie based bills appear to specifically target black areas or black heavy voting times. I'm not sure if they are intentionally racist, but they harm a specific people more so. Whether it was intentional or not, the effect would be clear.

These are just statistical facts,

Trump Lawsuits Target Votes In Largely Black Cities, Alarm Civil Rights Groups : NPR

How The Republican Push To Restrict Voting Could Affect Our Elections | FiveThirtyEight

This is all quite a bit more worse than "muh school class".

@eoten said:

Gerrymandering is a laugh. It's extensively done by both parties and hard to prove it's ever done based on race.

Literally both things you said in this sentence are highly mis-leading or false. Some are race based and the GOP does it far more.

Partisan Gerrymandering Has Benefited Republicans More Than Democrats (businessinsider.com)

The Secret Files of the Master of Modern Republican Gerrymandering | The New Yorker

Do some better research next time.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Zaryia

@eoten said:

the parties also switched from when they were using national guard to keep blacks out of public schools as well.

I'm glad you read my historical links last time and accept reality.