Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

Source

The Washington Post, definitely among one of President Donald Trump’s least favorite news outlets, published a story on Wednesday night that made tremendous waves. The president’s Thursday response sparked a lot of commentary and rapid reaction among legal experts.

The story regarded a whistleblower complaint that “triggered a tense showdown between the U.S. intelligence community and Congress.” According to WaPo, that complaint involves a “promise” Trump made to an unknown foreign leader that was deemed “so troubling” that an unnamed whistleblower filed a complaint with the U.S. intelligence community’s inspector general — a complaint the IG “determined […] is both credible and urgent,” per House Intel Committee Chairman Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.). It’s also a complaint Acting Director of National Intelligence (DNI) Joseph Maguiredeclined to hand over to Congress. It’s also a complaint that the Department of Justice’s Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) advised Maguire to withhold.

President Trump reacted to the story on Thursday by calling it “Fake News,” and dismissing as “dumb” anyone who believed something “inappropriate” had occurred. The tweets when combined:

Another Fake News story out there – It never ends! Virtually anytime I speak on the phone to a foreign leader, I understand that there may be many people listening from various U.S. agencies, not to mention those from the other country itself. No problem! Knowing all of this, is anybody dumb enough to believe that I would say something inappropriate with a foreign leader while on such a potentially “heavily populated” call. I would only do what is right anyway, and only do good for the USA!

These tweets were not received well.

It’s not “fake news.”

Steve Vladeck, a professor at the University of Texas School of Law, said that three key aspects of the reporting were “not fake news”: 1) that the whistleblower complaint exists; 2) that the IG concluded the complaint was “credible”; 3) that the DNI did not forward the complaint to congressional intelligence committee.

Vladeck noted earlier — and others have highlighted this as well — that for this matter to “qualify as an ‘urgent concern’ under the Intelligence Community Whistleblower Protection Act, 50 U.S.C. § 3033(k)(5)(G),” the IG “had to conclude that the complaint identified conduct that meets the following statutory definition.”

This was the statutory definition Vladeck and other legal scholars pointed to:

A chilling effect?

National security lawyer Mark S. Zaid, who frequently represents whistleblowers but not this whistleblower, said that the way this was handled by the Office of the DNI is “undermining the existing [whistleblower] protections” and is “contributing to potential future harm to our [national security].”

CNN law enforcement and national security analyst, former FBI agent Josh Campbell, argued that the White House’s “obstructi[on] [of] alleged reports of abuse” will have a chilling effect on whistleblowing in the future.

Another protracted legal slugfest on the horizon?

CNN legal analyst and attorney Ross Garber suggested that this may be yet another situation “in which the directive of a statute (here that Congress be alerted to certain whistleblower complaints) may conflict with the Executive Branch’s assertion of its Constitutional powers and privileges.”

He, and others, noted that the Obama Administration took the same Executive Branch position.

In closing, Garber said that if Congress takes this to court, which we have seen time and again, it would be on “very shaky ground given that the information it is seeking relates to the President’s authority to conduct diplomacy and almost certainly will be considered diplomatic, national security, and/or military in nature.”

Lots of tweets as well in the article, as this copy/paste isn't really doing the article justice.

My take. Of course he dismissed it. What else would he do?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

Doesn't matter to his base. They would sell the country out to continue supporting him. Personally if Congress actually would do their job...……..he'd be gone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

I mean, can anyone imagine Trump saying something, or making a boast to a foreign country, rather it was true or not.

It's so out of his character

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

This is pretty crazy news, headlining everywhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Everyday is like.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

He will get away with this, too.

It's frustrating because I feel like there is nothing I personally can do about this. I mean, I could write a letter I guess?

True or not, his demeanor and attitude (dismissive, to put it bluntly) is very troubling. If I was accused of this I'd take it seriously.

There is absolutely no class to this prick. Literally anyone would be better than Trump at president. I'm not exaggerating. My 5 year old niece would be better. My anarchist coworker that didn't graduate high school, he'd be better. The potato in my kitchen that has started to grow those little white rootlets, he/she/it would be better.

@LJS9502_basic said:

... if Congress actually would do their job...

God, that would be nice, wouldn't it?

Think of all we'd accomplish.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

Now to figure out which dictator he was talking to.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator

@evil_loli said:

Now to figure out which dictator he was talking to.

Putin or Abdel Fattah al-Sisi I guess. Abdel Fattah al-Sisi is his favourite dictator.

@LJS9502_basic said:

Doesn't matter to his base. They would sell the country out to continue supporting him. Personally if Congress actually would do their job...……..he'd be gone.

Remember when he flat out said "draining the swamp" was a lie? His cult must have missed that part.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

@horgen said:

Remember when he flat out said "draining the swamp" was a lie? His cult must have missed that part.

Can't drain the swamp if you are the swamp. That would be suicide, and suicide is illegal, and Trump never does anything illegal, he's the most legal person probably ever.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

This from the intelligence career people who illegally spied on him and his campaign and administration. I don't believe anything from the government agencies or the press any more.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 horgen  Moderator

@Vaasman said:

Can't drain the swamp if you are the swamp. That would be suicide, and suicide is illegal, and Trump never does anything illegal, he's the most legal person probably ever.

Trump can't suicide in the eyes of his cult.

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

This from the intelligence career people who illegally spied on him and his campaign and administration. I don't believe anything from the government agencies or the press any more.

And yet you believe Trump?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Link? Because that is a falsehood.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator

@warmblur said:

Congress won't act. Anything the House does will be stopped by the Senate, more specifically Moscow Mitch McConnell.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

@JimB said:

Reality's a bitch, isn't it?

Apparently, Trump asked Ukrainian president to investigate Biden's son. Eight times. Oh, and also that he should work with Rudy.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zaryia

Huge new WSJ article on this, just wow:

Trump Repeatedly Pressed Ukraine President to Investigate Biden’s Son

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-defends-conversation-with-ukraine-leader-11568993176

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator

@zaryia: Why not ask US intelligence agencies?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:

Gone for what? "making a promise"

No word on what the promise was or if it was actually carried out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@horgen said:
@warmblur said:

Congress won't act. Anything the House does will be stopped by the Senate, more specifically Moscow Mitch McConnell.

I agree 100 percent but Nancy Pelosi is worthless too she's like a episode of Seinfeld she's all about nothing.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacanuk
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

False?

Ok, so explain how someone in the intelligence community could have heard the conversation? while not being present in the white house near Trump? and also if I recall there are no legal tapes out there.

Try harder please, also this thread. Guess Peter and the Wolf is an unkown tale here.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vaasman

Speculation points to a certain amount of aid required by Ukraine to hold Donbas from Russia. Approximately 250million dollars in aid dangling up the air for the last few weeks.

Pressuring a foreign government to help you cheat politically, on it's own, is already damning. However, I suspect given how big this is getting, this speculation has a lot of credibility (especially since Russia is suddenly reinforcing the point and Ukraine is suddenly pulling out). If this is the case, we are looking at unprecedented, clear cut blackmail and/or bribery (which is, of course, impeachable).

Something something fake news, something something nothing burger.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Even if Congress impeached, Moscow Mitch will snipe it down.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vaasman

@nintendoboy16 said:

Mitch on his own can't snipe an impeachment proceeding as the Senate leader doesn't operate it. Moreover he can be dumped at any time if the Senate is wanting it without any delay. We just need 20 folks in the GOP senate who will agree to wake the **** up.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacanuk

@Vaasman said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Mitch on his own can't snipe an impeachment proceeding as the Senate leader doesn't operate it. Moreover he can be dumped at any time if the Senate is wanting it without any delay. We just need 20 folks in the GOP senate who will agree to wake the **** up.

Don´t be sure all democratic senators would vote for a guilty, some of them may put actually justice in front of leftists feelings.

Also, some are in red states which will also make them think twice since they would need to go back to their voters and make sure their decision is backed up with actual evidence.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Trump asked Ukraine president to investigate Biden's son eight times in one phone call: reports

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/462378-trump-asked-ukraine-president-to-investigate-bidens-son-eight-times

Doesn't matter if it was carried out (like with his Obstruction), the fact that he was pressuring a foreign government to look this dirt up is extremely troubling and I see why the Whistleblower and IG took great issue with this.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@Vaasman said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Don´t be sure all democratic senators would vote for a guilty, some of them may put actually justice in front of leftists feelings.

You do know many legal experts disagree with you when it comes to the 10 potential counts of Obstruction right? So it's only a "feeling" in your opinion, if that is what you are discussing.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jacanuk

@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Trump asked Ukraine president to investigate Biden's son eight times in one phone call: reports

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/462378-trump-asked-ukraine-president-to-investigate-bidens-son-eight-times

Doesn't matter if it was carried out (just like it doesn't matter if his Obstruction orders were not carried out), the fact that he was pressuring a foreign government to look this dirt up is extremely troubling and I see why the Whistleblower and IG took great issue with this.

If this is all it was then again it´s a nothing sandwich.

Don´t you ever get tired of crying wolf? just get rid of Trump by voting in 2020.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:

Completely nonsensical and invalid opinion based off of nothing. This is what we know:

Following the standard process, the IC IG conducted an independent, preliminary investigation to evaluate the credibility of the whistleblower’s complaint. That office found the disclosure credible and that it satisfied the statute’s definition of an “urgent concern.”

@Jacanuk said:

Don´t you ever get tired of crying wolf?

The IG cried wolf? Citation?

@Jacanuk said:

just get rid of Trump by voting in 2020.

What does this sentence have to do with any of my statements regarding this whistle blower matter? Are you lost?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

False?

Ok, so explain how someone in the intelligence community could have heard the conversation? while not being present in the white house near Trump? and also if I recall there are no legal tapes out there.

Try harder please, also this thread. Guess Peter and the Wolf is an unkown tale here.

Pay attention to the conversation before veering off course with your apologies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I'd say I'm shocked, but it's Trump. The guys has no shame.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Today, I watched a belligerent Trump supporter get punched in the face while getting arrested.

What started out as a traffic stop turned into a filthy incel yelling about how he won't tolerate liberal Oregon cops. He stepped out of his truck (decorated in Trump stickers) and got popped in the mouth. It was glorious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@zaryia said:
@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Doesn't matter if it was carried out (just like it doesn't matter if his Obstruction orders were not carried out), the fact that he was pressuring a foreign government to look this dirt up is extremely troubling and I see why the Whistleblower and IG took great issue with this.

Don´t you ever get tired of crying wolf? just get rid of Trump by voting in 2020.

Threatening to withhold 100's of millions in aid unless they investigate his political opponents is a nothing burger?

Also, you guys remember all those times Trump claimed that "The real collusion was with Hilary"?

That lie was based on the false claim that Hilary was working with Ukraine to get dirt on Trump.

The GOP can't even spell irony...

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

Biden blackmailed the Ukraine's in to dropping and investigation involving Biden's son Hunter. Biden also used his office to get his son Hunter 1,5 billion dollars. That all should be investigated. Of course you never heard about it in the mainstream media and never will. They are PR people not journalists.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@JimB said:

Biden blackmailed the Ukraine's in to dropping and investigation involving Biden's son Hunter. Biden also used his office to get his son Hunter 1,5 billion dollars. That all should be investigated. Of course you never heard about it in the mainstream media and never will. They are PR people not journalists.

I'm starting to think you're just the ghost account of Rudi G. at this point. American Thinker again, JimB?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

I see a lot of posters talking about Trump asking Ukraine to investigate Biden's son, but nobody talking about what Biden's son allegedly did to to prompt an investigation being mentioned...

Loading Video...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@ad1x2: Are you ****ing serious?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jacanuk

@Nuck81 said:

Threatening to withhold 100's of millions in aid unless they investigate his political opponents is a nothing burger?

Also, you guys remember all those times Trump claimed that "The real collusion was with Hilary"?

That lie was based on the false claim that Hilary was working with Ukraine to get dirt on Trump.

Oh, i can see the irony there.

But one thing is what he might have said and one is what he has done. Trump is a businessman so he approaches every deal with the same ideas. Is it a good thing, well who knows but there is nothing illegal about it.

Also it¨s strange that you guys are not concerned that your guy is corrupt, Biden and his son have deep ties to Ukraine and that needs to be investigated.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
@mattbbpl said:

I let all of you have your usual anti-Trump circlejerk thinking this will be another impeachment gotcha, maybe some of you should look at all sides of the story.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 horgen  Moderator

@JimB said:

Should it not be investigated by US agencies?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk

@horgen said:
@JimB said:

Not really since he didn´t break any US laws.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

I just want to know where is corn pop in all of this?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:
@JimB said:

Not really since he didn´t break any US laws.

Ah blackmailing is legal in US. Good to know.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Zaryia
@Jacanuk said:
@Nuck81 said:

but there is nothing illegal about it.

Citation?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jacanuk

@horgen said:

Ah blackmailing is legal in US. Good to know.

Despite what you may think, Ukraine is not America.

So I hope I don´t have to explain jurisdictions to you?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

@ad1x2 said:
@mattbbpl said:

I let all of you have your usual anti-Trump circlejerk thinking this will be another impeachment gotcha, maybe some of you should look at all sides of the story.

The president is NOT above the law.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: He's hopeless. We have a president accused of extorting a foreign ally via national security policy to gain a personal political advantage, and he's asking why we aren't discussing Biden's son's actions instead.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic

@mattbbpl said:

@LJS9502_basic: He's hopeless. We have a president accused of extorting a foreign ally via national security policy to gain a personal political advantage, and he's asking why we aren't discussing Biden's son's actions instead.

Yeah I guess I can't understand the cultist behavior wherein trump can trample all over out laws and constitution and they defend him. It's sad.....so very sad.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

Extortion and blackmail at the foreign policy level is a pretty black and white impeachable offense. But leave it up to Donnie Dotard and his goons to try and spin it on Biden.