When does political correctness and the war for social justice go too far?

• 96 results
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

All the time?

Not often enough?

Or is too far not far enough so they need to take it even more farther than too far enough?

Who knows?

But to me, shit be getting a little crazy when they go after my man Chris Pratt.

Article for some background.

The TL;DR summary: some jackass on social media made a post or whatever about Chris Pratt being "the worst Chris" out of a bunch of other Chris....Chrisses? Chris-esses?

Anyway, he was "the worst" out of himself, Chris Evans, Chris Pine, and Chris Hemsworth and it snowballed into this whole ordeal about people defneding a white christian male while they didn't defend females or minorities and, well....gross.

------

The scandal? People came to Pratt's defense. So naturally, people doing the right thing but not in the zeitgeist (am I using that word correctly?) of the current moment means that a.) you can't defend someone if b.) a woman or minority was also attacked and c.) you did not defend them.

So basically the outrage is coming from a lot of lefties who don't like Chris Pratt because he goes to church and probably votes Republican (though that is unverified) because if you are a habitual GOP supporter, that must mean you love Trump (eyeroll...for those immune to sarcasm, you can vote GOP and not be a full-blown Trumpette).

And it just keep escalating. You got people picking on Pratt. Then you have people coming to Pratt's defense. Then you have people picking on the people that came to Pratt's defense.

It's just gross. I freaking hate it. I hate how the left persecutes people that have conservative, live-and-let-live values. I hate how we don't tolerate things we dislike, we always have to "do something" about it. Why? Why do we always have to do something about it? Guess what? Some people generalize or stereotype. Yeah it's not a great quality, but if they don't let it run their lives and it's not constantly relevant, leave them the hell alone. They're not terrible people, they're just not the ideal people.

Anyway, no matter where you are on the political and social spectrum, I imagine you have some feeling that every so often the "activists" of the world tend to take it too far. Do you have any example?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Yeah I don't use twitter except sometime to see what's trending and I thought the attacks were ridiculous. Hate cancel culture.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc
Member since 2020 • 2126 Posts

Cancel culture isn’t a left wing exclusive. The right tries to cancel anybody they don’t like, like people against Trump. Remember Colin Kapernik? He was doing a peaceful protest and got canceled by the right.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrbojangles25

@thegreatchomp said:

Cancel culture isn’t a left wing exclusive. The right tries to cancel anybody they don’t like, like people against Trump. Remember Colin Kapernik? He was doing a peaceful protest and got canceled by the right.

Yeah I know I made it sound like exclusive to the left but the right does it too, no doubt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@mrbojangles25: just happened to me! Somebody called me not American for disagreeing with them!

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

It goes too far when it escalates to violence, for one. Going after people, harassing them, threatening them, stalking them, trying to get them fired simply because you're offended by something they said/wrote is also going too far. Bitching/whining about something is not going too far, at all. Could be funny for some, cringe at worst for others.

I know little about what's going on the celebrity world. I don't care to label or rank people on their beliefs, but rather their actions. I read awhile back of instances of Pratt getting rid of old pets, abandoning them. I tried to look up more info on that but it's mostly tabloid shit and I can't be bothered to read it. If true, I would easily agree that Pratt is the worst Chris.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I'm not sure where political correctness or SJW comes in. This is just straight up bigotry and intolerance against Chris Pratt for his religion. If he was Jewish or Muslim and the same people said the same things there would be outrage from the left. We all know that. Last I checked Chris Pratt wasn't harming anybody, no reason to for people to get all butthurt over him not agreeing with them on some issues. He's entitled to his rights.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mrbojangles25

@SOedipus: Yeah violence is a good standard. I'd also like to throw in "livelihood" as well. If your actions--without any sort of due process at all, just your assumptions and ignorant personal beliefs--result in people losing their job, reputation, and so on, I think it has gone too far.

Court of public opinion holds way too much power.

I don't really pay attention to the celebrity world either, this just sort of caught my eye because a.) I think Pratt is a good due and totally undeserving of this and b.) it got really ridiculous really fast.

I think the thing that upsets me most is the bandwagoning. People just jumped on Pratt like it was nothing, and he didn't even do anything wrong. Then they jumped on everyone else's case. When you defend someone that is good (and by all measures, Pratt is a decent dude) and you come under attack...that is ridiculous. When everyone else does it out of a sense of tribalism...that is even worse.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eoten
@thegreatchomp said:

@mrbojangles25: just happened to me! Somebody called me not American for disagreeing with them!

You explicitly made the claim that the left doesn't harass and bully people. The quote below didn't age well in the hour since you made it.

@thegreatchomp said:

@judaspete: Pushed by the right, the left hated that witch hunt. And the propaganda the right pushes in our schools is more reasons I got pushed to the left. Why the right hates science and logic is beyond me.

@MirkoS77: Aren’t you a conservative as well? And the fact is the right does this crap RIGHT NOW! They think they are superior to everyone and if you aren’t conservative you hate America. It’s not liberals harassing governors at their homes, that’s conservatives. They bully and harass anybody who opposes them to the point of actual attempts to kill people. Wake up!

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

they all do it left, right reps and dems its a sh!t show

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25

@eoten said:

I'm not sure where political correctness or SJW comes in. This is just straight up bigotry and intolerance against Chris Pratt for his religion. If he was Jewish or Muslim and the same people said the same things there would be outrage from the left. We all know that. Last I checked Chris Pratt wasn't harming anybody, no reason to for people to get all butthurt over him not agreeing with them on some issues. He's entitled to his rights.

Yeah and unfortunately you can't just mind your business, either. Pratt is religious, yes, but he doesn't talk about it constantly. Hasn't really said anything bigoted.

But I guess if you're a celebrity and not super-liberal, well, you're a Nazi or something *shrug*

The whole "silence means you're complicit" mentality that has infested certain groups is just too much. Some of us are too busy or just don't care enough to have a stance on some issues, or some of us feel moderate about the issue but are too scared to say so because there is no room in the world apparently for moderates.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@eoten: LMAO! I never said the left didn’t, I countered someone else by pointing out the right does it too, you lied about it and claimed the right didn’t and it was left. Which you said by word.

The first part was in relation to a policy during the Cold War pushed by the right. Seriously, do you get anything right?

“ You're a hypocrite who uses his imaginations on what people on the right do or believe to justify bigotry, intolerance, and violence which is fairly one sided right now. Americans are sick of it. That is why someone like Trump got elected, it's why he'll get re-elected, and why there will never be enough people with your radicalized world view in this country (which I doubt you even live in) to make any of Mr. 3rd Reich's dreams of political censorship come to fruition.”

This little gem aged poorly. This is where he said I wasn’t American for not agreeing with him. Took a screenshot of that!

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@SOedipus: Yeah violence is a good standard. I'd also like to throw in "livelihood" as well. If your actions--without any sort of due process at all, just your assumptions and ignorant personal beliefs--result in people losing their job, reputation, and so on, I think it has gone too far.

Court of public opinion holds way too much power.

I don't really pay attention to the celebrity world either, this just sort of caught my eye because a.) I think Pratt is a good due and totally undeserving of this and b.) it got really ridiculous really fast.

I think the thing that upsets me most is the bandwagoning. People just jumped on Pratt like it was nothing, and he didn't even do anything wrong. Then they jumped on everyone else's case. When you defend someone that is good (and by all measures, Pratt is a decent dude) and you come under attack...that is ridiculous. When everyone else does it out of a sense of tribalism...that is even worse.

Yeah, I think social media has a lot to play in this. You'd think people being more connected and having an easier access to information would lead a more rational and civil society. In a way, maybe it has. But we also have people who jump at anything that they think offends them. They're looking to be outraged, in a sense.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

Not far enough, I say. The world needs to tell people to be nice and civil to each other. Without pc, we'd have people like radical white supremacists running around, talking about running black people out of town. You can't trust the general public to be civil by themselves, they need order or else they get led astray by influential leaders who exploit their hatred for personal gain. When someone says something terrible about another, they should always be held accountable. Without the consequences, they'd never learn!

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I find both political correctness and cancel culture gross. More times than often "social justice" isn't about actual justice, but about harassing people for thinking differently. People need to chill tf out and let people be. I know in this example you are talking about Chris Pratt and i agree the reaction is ridiculous. But what bothers me even more than that, is the people attacking normal everyday people over opinions they don't like, people doxing people, threatening, trying to get people fired from their jobs, and yes even engaging in physical violence.

Social Justice Warriors are the joke that keeps on giving, accomplishing nothing but always bitching. When does it go to far? its been going too far, for years now, people are sick of it. Shit really started getting bad around 2012-2014, and it has just been getting more stupid. These people live off a constant injection of "isms" straight to the blood stream. Everything is an "ism" nowadays. Truth be told this weird cult of social justice is what opened up the country to someone like Trump.

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

This seems more like trolls acting like trolls. Not actual attempts to cancel him. Y’all need to chill.

(Before the usual trolls come in here, I’m not defending cancel culture, just that this example is not that)

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Eoten

Want to see more intolerant harassment and bullying from the PC/SJW crowd? Check out the comments about 50 cent being made right now all over social media.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@eoten: Is this similar to the hate Colin Kapernik got from the right? Stop acting innocent.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Eoten

@thegreatchomp said:

@eoten: Is this similar to the hate Colin Kapernik got from the right? Stop acting innocent.

No, like the hate the privileged kid Colin Kaepernick gave towards whites, police, our flag, our anthem. How's the NFL doing anyway? Oh, that's right, they're in the shitter. If you want to see people really hate Kaepernick, just wait till all them poor, oppressed, millionaires have to take a salary cut on their contracts when the salary cap is lowered to reflect lost revenue ;-).

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

@thegreatchomp said:

Excellent point, the right wing are also very much in favor of shutting down news outlets that are not right wing. A lot of crying on both sides.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23952 Posts

A few cases.

• When people use identity to excuse bad behaviour. Person X may be a transwoman, so me disliking her means I am a transphobe, not the fact that she is super clingy to me and harasses a lot of fellow europeans for being europeans.
  • When it actually conflicts with empirical evidence. Transfolk are valid, this is supported by medical consensus and foolish to deny. But I dont see any medical consensus or evidence suggesting that transwomen who transitioned at adulthood and thus had the opportunity to train as phenotypical men don't have an advantage in sports.
  • My Ex called me sexist when we broke up. Why because I was teaching her to become a better person. Curiously enough, I never made any comments on sex or gender ever. All while she was obsessing over traditional gender roles and norms, and got really aggressive when people DIDN'T adhere to her culture's understand of them.
  • Cancel Culture.
  • Harrassing people who think differently.
  • People weaponizing their identity in general.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@eoten: You proved my point. He kneeled to protest police brutality, and towards whites? Stop being so entitled. You just showed what you are. When blacks protest and it turns violent you cry but when they protest peacefully you still cry. Appalling.

Further proof you are apart of cancel culture. And the NFL is fine, everybody is taking a hit this year.

@tenaka2: Eoten just did it. And showed a hint of racism.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Never, that's an autistic perspective.

Conflict between progressive and conservative ideas comes from times immemorial. Unless there's people being murdered, sentenced to incarceration or forced to slave work based on political or ideological motives it's just people with different perspectives arguing. And a lot of meltdowns in the mix.

Edit: The idea that outrage and cancel culture are a thing of the left is plain hilarious.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1352 Posts

This generation just looks to be offended about something whether it’s for themselves or on behalf of others who don’t even care about a certain issue.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@thegreatchomp: You keep brining up Colin, he wasn't canceled, he was let go by the 49ers because he was going downhill and wasnt up to par on being a starting QB. Other teams didn't want him because he wouldn't settle for second or third string and was demanding far to much money vs his lower skill level.

He used this and turned it into his own personal money printing machine which I'll give him credit for as it was a brilliant marketing move by him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@vfighter: Didn’t ask you. And the right did try to cancel him and the whole NFL over it. You can’t deny or hide the fit they threw. And other teams didn’t want him because of the drama. Why else would the NFL settle with him over the lawsuit he filed?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@thegreatchomp: I don't care if you asked me or not, this is a public forum little child.

As for the right wanting him canceled, yes some were asking for that, SF though let him go because of sub par performance and other teams didn't pick him up because he was asking for Tim Brady levels of money when he had the skill set for 2nd or 3rd string QB. He had plenty of opportunities to stay in the NFL he just saw bigger $$$ elsewhere.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tenaka2
@vfighter said:

As for the right wanting him canceled, yes some were asking for that,

We are all in agreement then?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-5fab1400b2fcc

@vfighter: Little child? So testy. Bad day?

And yes a lot did want him canceled and no, teams didn’t want the distraction. If what I am saying is false, why would he sue and then settle for way less?

And he was playing well enough to get a starting job somewhere.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sheep99

Left attacks Biology and Right attacks Science

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@sheep99 said:

Biology? I think you misunderstand the brain in that equation.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I think it goes too far when you get "offended" but it's rather a way to try to elevate yourselves by claiming you have better morals then others who likely wouldn't point at something and claim it to be offensive either for them or for a separate group of people.
Then in addition that you get very volatile and hostile towards those who don't fully agree with you or the group of like minded individuals who find something "offensive", whereupon you/they will demand that such individuals, groups etc. are to get their lives ruined even if the "offense" is a minor case or a mistake.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

@Treflis said:

I think it goes too far when you get "offended" but it's rather a way to try to elevate yourselves by claiming you have better morals then others who likely wouldn't point at something and claim it to be offensive either for them or for a separate group of people.

Then in addition that you get very volatile and hostile towards those who don't fully agree with you or the group of like minded individuals who find something "offensive", whereupon you/they will demand that such individuals, groups etc. are to get their lives ruined even if the "offense" is a minor case or a mistake.

Not sure what you are saying here. Are you okay with morons on social media ruining people's lives because they feign outrage/offense?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nepu7supastar7

@LJS9502_basic:

Sometimes you need to make an example to prove your point. We need people like that to remind the bigots among us that this isn't the way a proper member of society should act. It's not a bad idea.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts

It's already gone too far. When actual issues to face are being diluted within a society that is offended by anything these days and distracted by the dramatization of non-issues, we've gone too far....how far can we go on like this? We've already crossed the line, and how far across it can we go? That's the real question.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sheep99

@LJS9502_basic: no idea what you mean by that

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

When it infringes on another persons rights.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Eoten

@jaydan said:

It's already gone too far. When actual issues to face are being diluted within a society that is offended by anything these days and distracted by the dramatization of non-issues, we've gone too far....how far can we go on like this? We've already crossed the line, and how far across it can we go? That's the real question.

Many people feel they have to solve some problem to feel they have done something with their otherwise boring lives. When no real problems exist, they make some up. What is it now? Micro aggressions? Pronouns? I wonder if people in countries where actual problems exist give a crap about any of the overfed problems people whine about today in western society?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Eoten

@sheep99 said:

Biology is science, the left attacks both. The right understands science rarely, if ever had a "consensus" and can be wrong. Nobody on the right attacks or denies science, we merely understand the politicization of it, and don't blindly follow what the TV tells us a scientist tells us as they typically cherry pick the scientists that agree with them.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tenaka2

@eoten said:
@sheep99 said:

The right understands science rarely

I would say hardly ever rarely seems generous. The right hates science, but a lot of that is down to the level of education, studies show that right wing people tend to be less educated then left leaning people.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Eoten

@tenaka2 said:
@eoten said:
@sheep99 said:

I would say hardly ever rarely seems generous. The right hates science, but a lot of that is down to the level of education, studies show that right wing people tend to be less educated then left leaning people.

We hate politicized science that people like you worship like it's the fucking gospel and whenever any scientist, no matter how many, how qualified, or how concrete their evidence is disagrees with your world view, they get attacked, criticized, harassed, deplatformed, and "cancel-cultured." You don't give a crap about science unless it agrees with you. So let's stop pretending.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tenaka2

@eoten said:
@tenaka2 said:
@eoten said:
@sheep99 said:

it's the fucking gospel

Try not to get so upset, no need for language.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Treflis said:

Not sure what you are saying here. Are you okay with morons on social media ruining people's lives because they feign outrage/offense?

No, quite the opposite.

I think a lot of the people getting "offended" are merely doing it to feel better about themselves and doesn't really find it offensive. Instead it's more of a bandwagon thing and when they try to ruin people's lives because of it then it's really going overboard.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic

@eoten said:
@sheep99 said:

Biology is science, the left attacks both. The right understands science rarely, if ever had a "consensus" and can be wrong. Nobody on the right attacks or denies science, we merely understand the politicization of it, and don't blindly follow what the TV tells us a scientist tells us as they typically cherry pick the scientists that agree with them.

Wrong. Some of the right argue against science.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

any Simon Garfunkel fans in here?

Loading Video...

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 sheep99

@eoten: lol sure

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Eoten

@LJS9502_basic said:
@eoten said:
@sheep99 said:

Wrong. Some of the right argue against science.

Yeah, because people on the right are more likely to independently verify information, and look at more than one side of a story. There is absolutely nothing on this planet of any relevant topic that you're going to find scientists in agreement with. So do you believe all scientists?

You know that "97% of scientists agree that global warming...." crap was fake right? It was a figure made up and published by leftwing media to convince it's viewers/readers that a consensus exists that happen to fit the narrative of those publishing the articles. There was about 60 people that was based off of and in response, THOUSANDS of scientists have refuted it. Yet you accuse people who do not agree with that 97% figure as being "anti-science" when in reality we know enough about the situation to understand it for the bullshit that it is. Science, like everything else in the world can very easily be politicized by cherry picking individuals that gel well with your confirmation bias, and suppressing opposing view points, just like what can be done with everything else in life.

If you ever done any kind of independent research on the topic instead of just taking believing what CNN tells you science says, you may have a better understanding. So, when you people get dogmatic about science, especially in heavily politicized topics where this occurs, it's hard for anyone to take you seriously, and when you cry about it and accuse those people of being "anti-science" it just makes your argument look more in line with one from a religious zealot than any rational person.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nepu7supastar7

@sargentd:

That's a disgusting way to twist a perfectly beautiful song. I never even heard of the YouTuber and I already hate them just for posting it.