Will Political Gamers go silent now that Trump is out?

• 64 results
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Poll Will Political Gamers go silent now that Trump is out? (32 votes)

Yes, Trump was like 90% of what we talked about these past few years. 34%
Sort of, politicians are dumb and there's always something to talk about. 38%
No, it will be as active as ever. 28%

I mean seriously, it has been pretty silent. Been coming back and seeing the same five threads at the top....including one that has been locked for like a whole day!

Anyone else concerned over the potential inactivity? Or stoked? I mean this place got pretty damn toxic.

I for one hope it stays active, lots of good quality discussion and even the nonsense debates/arguments are fun, too.

It would be nice to see something positive, though, and maybe when Trump is out we can maybe post some stuff of politicians doing good.

What say you?

• 
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts

It never has as much activity in non-presidential election years. It will slow down a lot but still see activity.

You'll see little activity during periods like now, a lame duck session. You'll see increased activity during periods of significant legislation, turmoil, and Scotus decisions. That's ok, most people are fortunate enough to let politics fade into the background most of the time.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

It seems to be the case already.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'm ready for a more quiet less crazy next 4 years hopefully.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I don't personally intend to support everything Biden does just because he's a Democrat.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

The underbelly that spawned Trump will continue to exist to breed conflict.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The culture war will keep it alive.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

We'll find something to be mad about, Trump or no Trump.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

The political culture is more divided than since the civil war. We're at each others throats.

@Willy105 said:

See?

It's just a matter that if people want to admit that and talk about it, or pretend that this "national healing" is real. I think it's the latter. People here want to pretend politics is "back to normal", even if reality couldn't be further from that

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gaming-Planet

@vl4d_l3nin said:

The political culture is more divided than since the civil war. We're at each others throats.

@Willy105 said:

See?

It's just a matter that if people want to admit that and talk about it, or pretend that this "national healing" is real. I think it's the latter. People here want to pretend politics is "back to normal", even if reality couldn't be further from that

America isn't returning.

Social media has accelerated its division.

Loading Video...

These people literally think anybody on the left is a commie thanks to the vocal minority of woke culture. Conservatives constantly feed their base with one side of the left, and the left does the same with the right. Social media has made this new type of propaganda work.

Loading Video...

It's come to the point that people against the left now believe democrats are all like this too, despite democrats being mostly moderate with their politics.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

It's come to the point that people against the left now believe democrats are all like this too, despite democrats being mostly moderate with their politics.

That's the thing I think moderates are going to get a rude awakening on. Biden isn't nearly as divisive as Trump or Obama, so they may think all the BS is over with and we can heal and return to normal. Nuh-uh.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts

Something tells me Trump is not going to fade from the spotlight and will be discussed. I suspect he's going to up his obnoxiousness to level 11, and the media cannot help themselves. It's good business.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gaming-Planet
@vl4d_l3nin said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

That's the thing I think moderates are going to get a rude awakening on. Biden isn't nearly as divisive as Trump or Obama, so they may think all the BS is over with and we can heal and return to normal. Nuh-uh.

BLM started rising under the Obama admistration so I think they'll have plenty of more racial and cultural division to handle with than they did in 2012-2016. Democrats do a pretty piss poor job at addressing it too.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Something tells me Trump is not going to fade from the spotlight and will be discussed. I suspect he's going to up his obnoxiousness to level 11, and the media cannot help themselves. It's good business.

He'll fade. Just depends on how quickly. In the meantime I suggest we educate teenagers on economics, government, etc.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Just about. All personality cults fade when the leader is exposed, it just takes time. Now we're just waiting for the next.

@Gaming-Planet You're not wrong there. There are large sections of Youtube, Twitter and Facebook that are DEDICATED to painting all Democrats as hardline communists or all Republicans as cross-burning nazis, and it's not going to get better any time soon, because this division is EXTREMELY profitable for social media companies (it drives engagement like you wouldn't believe).

Now, we're seeing the natural evolution of this, with several platforms being made exclusively to be right-wing partisan safe spaces (Parler, Gab, Bitchute, etc). I fully expect left-wing safe space networks to follow if these prove profitable.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127518 Posts

@mattbbpl: Didn't he gut the Open Skies treaty? Even without giving Congress 4 months warning or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I think alot will slow down now that it's over, but it won't be the same. The division that's been promoted the last 4 years will take years to heal. I've noticed Trumps supporters on various social media outlets slowly fade back as judges throw out voter fraud cases left and right due to lack of evidence. But the division will still be there. The unsubstantiated claims still undermines the voting process and casts doubt, which is a super dangerous move just to save face from the fact that Trump lost.

Now it will just be similar to the late 2000's, where racists hated and bitched about Obama's actions while he cleans up Bush's mess and tries to divert and impending depression. But now he also has to heal divisions of people, along with tensions with foreign allies that have been escalated, along with the pandemic, while battling climate change, AND the fact that China, Russia, and Iran have all been giving the US and Europe the Middle finger while increasing production of WMD's and trying to establish themselves as dominate world superpowers. I hope Biden's administration is ready, because they have their work cut out for them.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts

@horgen said:

@mattbbpl: Didn't he gut the Open Skies treaty? Even without giving Congress 4 months warning or something.

Yes, he withdrew from that treaty.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Nah, there's been four years of pointing out the flaws in everything Trump has done.

So now it's the republicans turn to point and offer criticism when it comes to everything Biden does.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

@Willy105 said:

See?

America isn't returning.

Social media has accelerated its division.

Loading Video...

These people literally think anybody on the left is a commie thanks to the vocal minority of woke culture. Conservatives constantly feed their base with one side of the left, and the left does the same with the right. Social media has made this new type of propaganda work.

Loading Video...

Not so tough.

Loading Video...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 horgen  Moderator

@Treflis said:

Nah, there's been four years of pointing out the flaws in everything Trump has done.

So now it's the republicans turn to point and offer criticism when it comes to everything Biden does.

I wonder if Biden can wear a tan suit. Or have dijon mustard on his burger.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

No. Trump's brand of politics will continue on and as long as this country has problems and as long as the typical politics continue, from local and state to federal actions, this forum will continue on.

That and the Biden Administration is guaranteed to have its issues and cause angst among liberals and conservatives alike.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@horgen said:
@Treflis said:

I wonder if Biden can wear a tan suit. Or have dijon mustard on his burger.

It's certain that if he wears a helmet while on a bicycle then it's a scandal.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

@SOedipus said:

It seems to be the case already.

Totally.

@warmblur said:

I'm ready for a more quiet less crazy next 4 years hopefully.

Same.

I'm already trying to be a bit more civil, a bit more tolerant of the outrageous. Not going to jump down people's throats for being bigots any more, hopefully they'll go scurrying back to the cracks in the walls where they were before Trump took power.

@rmiller365 said:

I think alot will slow down now that it's over, but it won't be the same. The division that's been promoted the last 4 years will take years to heal. I've noticed Trumps supporters on various social media outlets slowly fade back as judges throw out voter fraud cases left and right due to lack of evidence. But the division will still be there....

Yep, I fully expect a return of the far-right in 2024...more realistically, we will start seeing campaigning in 2023 and even 2022.

A lot of the healing will depend on where Congress stands, how much bipartisan stuff will get done, and whether or not the GOP will try to work together with their peers or will literally try to sabotage everything simply because they can.

My biggest concern right now is exactly that: the GOP as a whole. Were they simply toeing the line, or will they be obstructionists?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6955 Posts

At least a third of Republican politicians at all levels have outed themselves as true flakes and nutjobs. I am sure there lots on the Democrat side too. But the more mainstream Republicans need to take their party back and rid themselves of the trash and sycophants that acquired some degree of real power and influence these past 4 years.

QAnon adherents are elected members of congress. Think about that. Or think about the reject who is Attorney General in Texas filing to the supreme court today to invalidate the results in 4 other states. These people don't just have different political views, they are complete fruit loops.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MirkoS77

@YukoAsho said:

@LJS9502_basic: Just about. All personality cults fade when the leader is exposed, it just takes time. Now we're just waiting for the next.

What do you mean "exposed"? Trump has been exposed since day 1. The more he comes out and reveals his true nature, the more people encircle and embolden their support for him. I've never seen anything like it....it's like the worse Trump becomes, the more he is loved.

Trump supporters know full well what they're supporting, nothing is hidden.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Ummmm...Trumps not out yet. Stop being brainwashed by the media kids.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

@vfighter said:

He's out in 43 days............

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23952 Posts

@vfighter said:

Trump is a lame duck and his political capital is almost non-existant. The world is moving on with Biden.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic

@Maroxad said:
@vfighter said:

Trump is a lame duck and his political capital is almost non-existant. The world is moving on with Biden.

I've never seen any president just stop working before.............but as little as he did before.........he's doing less now. Pathetic!

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19589 Posts

@vfighter said:

Trump lost the election, and he is consistently losing his legal challenges to the election (including a unanimous loss at the Supreme Court just now).

Trump will continue to lie about it, because idiots keep donating hundreds of millions of dollars for him to "fight" it. He puts on a little song and dance and profits from it.

But...no, it's time to wake up. There never was any election fraud. Trump simply lost the election, in the single most embarrassing way in US history. If you believe there was election fraud, you have been brainwashed by conspiracy theories, and I sincerely hope you one day realise Trump's con.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mrbojangles25

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vfighter said:

He's out in 43 days............

There'd have to be a literal coup in the EC (iirc they still have to actually cast their ballots) for Trump to win, and I don't think that would ever happen.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MirkoS77

@Planeforger said:
@vfighter said:

Trump lost the election, and he is consistently losing his legal challenges to the election (including a unanimous loss at the Supreme Court just now).

Trump will continue to lie about it, because idiots keep donating hundreds of millions of dollars for him to "fight" it. He puts on a little song and dance and profits from it.

But...no, it's time to wake up. There never was any election fraud. Trump simply lost the election, in the single most embarrassing way in US history. If you believe there was election fraud, you have been brainwashed by conspiracy theories, and I sincerely hope you one day realise Trump's con.

Hopefully before he donates, if he hasn't already.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Loading Video...
YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 YukoAsho

@MirkoS77 said:
@YukoAsho said:

What do you mean "exposed"? Trump has been exposed since day 1. The more he comes out and reveals his true nature, the more people encircle and embolden their support for him. I've never seen anything like it....it's like the worse Trump becomes, the more he is loved.

Trump supporters know full well what they're supporting, nothing is hidden.

To the outside world, certainly, but it takes something HUGE for the actual cult members to wake up. It's kinda like NXIVM, where many of those cultists stayed on until Keith Raniere was dragged through the coals.

Like some members of NXIVM, there will be some Trump cultists that never come to their senses, but most people will soon move on, now that Trump has been shown not to be the world-moving, invincible savior they thought he was.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Drunk_PI

@Maroxad said:
@vfighter said:

Now hold on, Trump is working hard right now...

Working hard to overthrow an election.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23952 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@Maroxad said:
@vfighter said:

Now hold on, Trump is working hard right now...

Working hard to overthrow an election.

While you aren't wrong :P

Political capital means his ability to influence policy. It always baffled me how Republicans dont use their political honeymoon period, where political capital is at its highest, to rig future elections in their favor. The issue of Voter Fraud always only seem to appear on election year... curious. Surely if it was such a big issue, this would be worth looking into more than just election year. It's almost like it is just voter suppression.

But for as baffled as I am, I am also grateful that they don't.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 horgen  Moderator

@Maroxad: Just as Republicans still want illegal immigrants to come in. They can't say it out loud. Otherwise who will help out on the farms and provide cheap labour?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts
@horgen said:

@Maroxad: Just as Republicans still want illegal immigrants to come in. They can't say it out loud. Otherwise who will help out on the farms and provide cheap labour?

You mean the jobs that have already largely been replaced by machines, robots, and automation? It ain't illegals doing those jobs as the fake news suggests, it's these guys doing it.

Loading Video...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 horgen  Moderator

@eoten: Glad to see they updated their tech. The case I read about some weeks ago probably was from 2005 or so.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By YukoAsho

@Maroxad: To their credit, the GOP understands that being TOO obvious in their attempts to take power will damage them too. The game benefits them as well, in the end. That, and more than a little bit of the GOP at the lower level disagrees with the worst elements of their congress, as we see with the state-level governments.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@horgen: Trump just substituted all the undocumented at Mar-a-lago by cyborgs.

And btw

"More than 3 million migrant and seasonal farmworkers are estimated to be in the United States"

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

You say that as if Trump and his cult will be quiet. They'll be claiming election fraud until the day or dies or is voted back in.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic

@techhog89 said:

You say that as if Trump and his cult will be quiet. They'll be claiming election fraud until the day or dies or is voted back in.

Hopefully once he's gone he loses relevance and people move on. And I recommend we educate children better so they don't grow into adults that believe conspiracy theories.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 horgen  Moderator

@ghost_of_phobos said:

@horgen: Trump just substituted all the undocumented at Mar-a-lago by cyborgs.

And btw

"More than 3 million migrant and seasonal farmworkers are estimated to be in the United States"

Lol forgot about him using it so much there.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@techhog89 said:

Hopefully once he's gone he loses relevance and people move on. And I recommend we educate children better so they don't grow into adults that believe conspiracy theories.

US Gen Z is already fucked, unfortunately. Teens are heavily conservative-leaning due to the videos put out by YouTubers recruiting them.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Drunk_PI

@techhog89 said:

US Gen Z is already fucked, unfortunately. Teens are heavily conservative-leaning due to the videos put out by YouTubers recruiting them.

That doesn't seem to be the case per the Pew Research Center:

Within the GOP, Gen Zers have sharp differences with their elders

Among Republicans and those who lean to the Republican Party, there are striking differences between Generation Z and older generations on social and political issues. In their views on race, Gen Z Republicans are more likely than older generations of Republicans to say blacks are treated less fairly than whites in the U.S. today. Fully 43% of Republican Gen Zers say this, compared with 30% of Millennial Republicans and roughly two-in-ten Gen X, Boomer and Silent Generation Republicans. Views are much more consistent across generations among Democrats and Democratic leaners.

Similarly, the youngest Republicans stand out in their views on the role of government and the causes of climate change. Gen Z Republicans are much more likely than older generations of Republicans to desire an increased government role in solving problems. About half (52%) of Republican Gen Zers say government should do more, compared with 38% of Millennials, 29% of Gen Xers and even smaller shares among older generations. And the youngest Republicans are less likely than their older counterparts to attribute the earth’s warming temperatures to natural patterns, as opposed to human activity (18% of Gen Z Republicans say this, compared with three-in-ten or more among older generations of Republicans).

Overall, members of Gen Z look similar to Millennials in their political preferences, particularly when it comes to the upcoming 2020 election. Among registered voters, a January Pew Research Center survey found that 61% of Gen Z voters (ages 18 to 23) said they were definitely or probably going to vote for the Democratic candidate for president in the 2020 election, while about a quarter (22%) said they were planning to vote for Trump. Millennial voters, similarly, were much more likely to say they plan to support a Democrat in November than Trump (58% vs. 25%). Larger shares of Gen X voters (37%), Boomers (44%) and Silents (53%) said they plan to support President Trump.

I mean, I have my concerns of future generations and fake news media so there's that. Perhaps there'll be a sudden shift. That being said, now it's just a matter of getting people to vote so it's not just a bunch of old farts voting for more old farts with old fart ideas.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mrbojangles25

@drunk_pi said:
@techhog89 said:

That doesn't seem to be the case per the Pew Research Center:

Within the GOP, Gen Zers have sharp differences with their elders

Among Republicans and those who lean to the Republican Party, there are striking differences between Generation Z and older generations on social and political issues. In their views on race, Gen Z Republicans are more likely than older generations of Republicans to say blacks are treated less fairly than whites in the U.S. today. Fully 43% of Republican Gen Zers say this, compared with 30% of Millennial Republicans and roughly two-in-ten Gen X, Boomer and Silent Generation Republicans. Views are much more consistent across generations among Democrats and Democratic leaners.

Similarly, the youngest Republicans stand out in their views on the role of government and the causes of climate change. Gen Z Republicans are much more likely than older generations of Republicans to desire an increased government role in solving problems. About half (52%) of Republican Gen Zers say government should do more, compared with 38% of Millennials, 29% of Gen Xers and even smaller shares among older generations. And the youngest Republicans are less likely than their older counterparts to attribute the earth’s warming temperatures to natural patterns, as opposed to human activity (18% of Gen Z Republicans say this, compared with three-in-ten or more among older generations of Republicans).

Overall, members of Gen Z look similar to Millennials in their political preferences, particularly when it comes to the upcoming 2020 election. Among registered voters, a January Pew Research Center survey found that 61% of Gen Z voters (ages 18 to 23) said they were definitely or probably going to vote for the Democratic candidate for president in the 2020 election, while about a quarter (22%) said they were planning to vote for Trump. Millennial voters, similarly, were much more likely to say they plan to support a Democrat in November than Trump (58% vs. 25%). Larger shares of Gen X voters (37%), Boomers (44%) and Silents (53%) said they plan to support President Trump.

I mean, I have my concerns of future generations and fake news media so there's that. Perhaps there'll be a sudden shift. That being said, now it's just a matter of getting people to vote so it's not just a bunch of old farts voting for more old farts with old fart ideas.

I don't know anyone that has gone from left to right.

I've definitely become more moderate in my age, especially relative to my college-know-it-all-hippie days where I was protesting against Bush Jr. I'm sick of SJW's and cancel-culture, but I'm still a left-leaning moderate.

But conservative and right wing? No. Those people aren't made, they're born. And frankly--and this is just speculation on my part--I feel a lot more people make the change from right to middle/left than they do from left to middle/right. Just look at all the places that went blue or have increases blue voters this past election.

GOP better be ready. I mean, I hope they aren't, and I think that's part of the reason they're fighting so desperately at this petty battle, but for their own sake they better modernize and become more moderate or else it's game over for them.