Who would you rather build a franchise around, Durant Or Oden?

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts
Topic.
Avatar image for bloody1f4knight
bloody1f4knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 bloody1f4knight
Member since 2006 • 4922 Posts
Gregg Oden for sure. I think it is hard to find a player like Oden nowadays.
MavsFan2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MavsFan2007
Member since 2006 • 1697 Posts
Topic.nygiants1080
durant. multiple position player, great shooter, rebounder, block and steal. he is like a scottie pippen. greg oden is... well awsome but it seems like durant can do more.
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts
Greg Oden. What he brings to the game is the rarest thing to find in the league, a pure center with once in a generation defensive talent, plus he's a big who will make his free throws (crucial in crunch time). Love Durant but if you're picking one to start from scratch with, I'd take Oden.
diggyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 diggyzoom
Member since 2005 • 19616 Posts
Just like in the other thread Bosh vs Dwight Howard , I would take the big man in the middle who can help control my paint if I were starting a team. I think it would be easier to find skilled versatile players like Durant and Bosh before you could find agile big man who can block shots , rebound , and finish inside.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Greg Oden.
tmac200913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 tmac200913
Member since 2006 • 16647 Posts

I'd take Kevin Durant

Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts
Durant can do it all, lets not forget who is outrebounding who here...He will be a star in the NBA for years. He will be a Kevin Garnett type of player.
Canbek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Canbek
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts
Durant for sure. Right size, huge wingspan. Can grab a bunch of boards and rain J's all day long. Sure Oden is bigger and more commanding in the paint, but where you gonna go when you need a clutch shot? Durant Avenue baby.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
Durant can do it all, lets not forget who is outrebounding who here...He will be a star in the NBA for years. He will be a Kevin Garnett type of player.Espurs117
Oden is doing it with one hand.
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Espurs117
[QUOTE="Espurs117"]Durant can do it all, lets not forget who is outrebounding who here...He will be a star in the NBA for years. He will be a Kevin Garnett type of player.bunchofpixels

Uh huh yeah I know. My point is taking Oden right now is based on what he did in HS....cuz we havent seen what he can do in the next level (college)....all we know about Oden is hype. We have seen what Durant can do, and if you say you dont wanna draft him number 1 and build your franchise around him, then your crazy.
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 viberooni
[QUOTE="bunchofpixels"][QUOTE="Espurs117"]Durant can do it all, lets not forget who is outrebounding who here...He will be a star in the NBA for years. He will be a Kevin Garnett type of player.Espurs117

Uh huh yeah I know. My point is taking Oden right now is based on what he did in HS....cuz we havent seen what he can do in the next level (college)....all we know about Oden is hype. We have seen what Durant can do, and if you say you dont wanna draft him number 1 and build your franchise around him, then your crazy.

So sayeth the Longhorns superfan. And we have seen Oden's (one handed) game on display in college, he alters and blocks shots with ease and dominates the interior with high percentage scoring. He's still raw but I think Coach Matta is misusing Oden, Ohio State's perimeter oriented system seems stubborn when you consider what their center can do and that he's likely gone after the season. Most GM's would agree which piece is more valuable when starting a franchise, you take the center 10 times out of 10. That is no slight on Durant, who is having a brilliant season, it's just that special 4's and 3's appear more often than special 5's. Both are great prospects who are apparently the real deal but they still have a ways to go to realizing their ultimate potential in the NBA. Saying you prefer Oden is perfectly sane.
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Espurs117
[QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="bunchofpixels"][QUOTE="Espurs117"]Durant can do it all, lets not forget who is outrebounding who here...He will be a star in the NBA for years. He will be a Kevin Garnett type of player.viberooni

So sayeth the Longhorns superfan. And we have seen Oden's (one handed) game on display in college, he alters and blocks shots with ease and dominates the interior with high percentage scoring. He's still raw but I think Coach Matta is misusing Oden, Ohio State's perimeter oriented system seems stubborn when you consider what their center can do and that he's likely gone after the season. Most GM's would agree which piece is more valuable when starting a franchise, you take the center 10 times out of 10. That is no slight on Durant, who is having a brilliant season, it's just that special 4's and 3's appear more often than special 5's. Both are great prospects who are apparently the real deal but they still have a ways to go to realizing their ultimate potential in the NBA. Saying you prefer Oden is perfectly sane.

Wow you can read sigs hey good for you. Anyways read it again I didnt say picking Oden was crazy...I said if you dont think Durant is worth the number 1 pick then your crazy.
XxMa5icarxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 XxMa5icarxX
Member since 2004 • 6621 Posts
Durant is like Magic Johnson he can play basically any position
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 viberooni
No doubt a player like Durant is worth a number one pick. I'd still choose Oden to build a franchise around if given a choice, but I'd be ecstatic with either one so why argue it.
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like this
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts
I'd take Kevin Durant right now for the simple fact that Oden hasn't been all that impressive at the next level (college). Maybe that has something to do with him not being completely healthy yet, but Durant has and he's shown how good he can be offensively and defensively.

Oden has potential, but until he shows it, I'm taking Durant.
XxMa5icarxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XxMa5icarxX
obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thissilky_smooth8
Durant is 6 foot 9 and hes a scorer a rebounder and can block the hell out of you that more complete then you can get
Avatar image for Powerhitter0418
Powerhitter0418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Powerhitter0418
Member since 2006 • 1950 Posts
I would take Durant because I've heard that he has a great work ethic.
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 silky_smooth8
[QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thisXxMa5icarxX
Durant is 6 foot 9 and hes a scorer a rebounder and can block the hell out of you that more complete then you can get

ok, oden's 7 feet, can score, is a rebounder and can block the hell out of anyone. WHen all's said and done, oden will be more of an impact player. Would you rather have a shaq or a mcgrady to build around?
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
i dont see durant doin much in the nba, other than scoring , oden wont put up as many points but he looks like a pretty good impact player that can do it all
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Espurs117
[QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thissilky_smooth8

ok, oden's 7 feet, can score, is a rebounder and can block the hell out of anyone. WHen all's said and done, oden will be more of an impact player. Would you rather have a shaq or a mcgrady to build around?

Why McGrady? Why not Kobe or KG? He is being compared to KG.
XxMa5icarxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XxMa5icarxX
[QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thissilky_smooth8

Oden cant shoot the 3 and shoot FT. While Durant can do both of thos eand still avg more Rebounds then Oden. Where do you get Mcgrady out of this anyways? If anything Durant is more of a Garnett and i rather build over him then Shaq and if Boston has the #1 pick or Philly they both would need Durant more over Oden
Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts
I would pick Durant. You can't really miss with either though...
tmac200913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tmac200913
Member since 2006 • 16647 Posts
I think Durant has a lil bit more potential than Oden
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts
[QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thisEspurs117

What's wrong with making a comparison to McGrady?
Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts
[QUOTE="nygiants1080"]Topic.MavsFan2007
durant. multiple position player, great shooter, rebounder, block and steal. he is like a scottie pippen. greg oden is... well awsome but it seems like durant can do more.

I agree. Oden is gonna be really good, but i think he would be more of an improvement for an already pretty good team.
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 silky_smooth8
[QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thisEspurs117

by who? Durant's a perimeter player whose natural position is SF. He can shoot threes all day and can handle and plays on the wing. I dunno why ppl compare him to garnett since he plays nothing liike him
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Espurs117
[QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thisNgamer05

What's wrong with making a comparison to McGrady?

Nothing besides the injury's....but cleary Kobe and KG are better players.
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Espurs117
[QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thissilky_smooth8

by who? Durant's a perimeter player whose natural position is SF. He can shoot threes all day and can handle and plays on the wing. I dunno why ppl compare him to garnett since he plays nothing liike him

By alot of "experts". Durant can block and rebound liek KG...KG isnt a 3 point shooter but his shot has some range. They can both take it to the hoop....their games are very similar, yes Durant can play the 3 all day but he can take it inside when he wants too.
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silky_smooth8
[QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thisXxMa5icarxX

Oden cant shoot the 3 and shoot FT. While Durant can do both of thos eand still avg more Rebounds then Oden. Where do you get Mcgrady out of this anyways? If anything Durant is more of a Garnett and i rather build over him then Shaq and if Boston has the #1 pick or Philly they both would need Durant more over Oden

oden can't shoot threes cause that's not his game...he's a CENTER. And he's shooting free throws with his left hand right now becuase his right hand is in a cast. Sure durants stats are much better but guess who's winning more? Oden. And how in any way do you get garnett out of durant??? Durant's a wing player who loves to shoot and will most likely play SF in the league and there's no better comparison right now other than mcgrady. And if you're saying that you'd rather build a team around garnett over shaq....then you should just stop...honestly
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
I would definitely want to build a frachise around Oden, Durant is going to be a star in the NBA but I just get this picture Oden making a bigger impact
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 silky_smooth8
[QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thisEspurs117

By alot of "experts". Durant can block and rebound liek KG...KG isnt a 3 point shooter but his shot has some range. They can both take it to the hoop....their games are very similar, yes Durant can play the 3 all day but he can take it inside when he wants too.

in no way is durants game more like KG than TMacs. Garnett's probably the most versatile PF in the league, but he's not a wing player at all. Durant loves to spot up, shoot, or take the dribble and make athletic plays, just like mcgrady. Durant should play SF in the league and if i were to compare durant to any other PF, it would be nowitzki
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Espurs117
[QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thissilky_smooth8

in no way is durants game more like KG than TMacs. Garnett's probably the most versatile PF in the league, but he's not a wing player at all. Durant loves to spot up, shoot, or take the dribble and make athletic plays, just like mcgrady. Durant should play SF in the league and if i were to compare durant to any other PF, it would be nowitzki

Okay well you seem to base your opinion on his offensive game while im basing mine on the rebouding and blocking and inside game.....im talking about comparing him to Garnett....but okay thats your opinion and I have mine so lets leave it at that. And yes I do agree that he should play SF in the NBA.
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 silky_smooth8
[QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="silky_smooth8"]obviously greg oden. I've said it before, you DON'T pass up on quality 7 footers like thisEspurs117

Okay well you seem to base your opinion on his offensive game while im basing mine on the rebouding and blocking and inside game.....im talking about comparing him to Garnett....but okay thats your opinion and I have mine so lets leave it at that. And yes I do agree that he should play SF in the NBA.

even so...durant doesn't have an inside game like garnett, and he rebounds and blocks well cause he's damn athletic at the college level...but like you said, whatever, opinions are opinions...and i think we can all agree that durant can be a big star in the league
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
You guys are taking this way out of line, I think Durant is much more like R. Lewis or S. Marion maybe even a L. Odom type.
XxMa5icarxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 XxMa5icarxX
You guys are taking this way out of line, I think Durant is much more like R. Lewis or S. Marion maybe even a L. Odom type.
Master_Live
actually your right. He is more of a Marion not an Odom or Lewis though
Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts
[QUOTE="Master_Live"]You guys are taking this way out of line, I think Durant is much more like R. Lewis or S. Marion maybe even a L. Odom type.
XxMa5icarxX
actually your right. He is more of a Marion not an Odom or Lewis though

Durant is a lot closer to Rashard Lewis than Shawn Marion...Shawn Marion has the quickest second jump I've ever seen and is extremely explosive and quick, way beyond Durant. Durant is mostly a jump shooting perimeter player like Rashard Lewis who can drive and has nice touch around the basket. I like the comparision to T-Mac kinda except that Durant can't jump quite as high and can't handle as well, and Durant is a little taller and longer, but they are similiar.
RR88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RR88
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts
I take Oden. He's 7'0 250 (I think lol), in the biggest impact and most rare position on a team today.
36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts
damn thats a good ass question lol. i don't see either play enough to really have a good pick but off top i'd say Oden. his size and strength is amazing for a freshman.
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 silky_smooth8
Master_Live
yea, lewis is a good comparison right now, but talking in terms of best-case-scenario i would compare him to tmac
romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
[QUOTE="nygiants1080"]Topic.MavsFan2007

i wouldn't want to build a franchise around scottie pippen. oden has looked amazing with his dominant hand in a cast. great big men are hard to find. i'd take oden. plus his name is close to Odin, the Old Norse god of wisdom, war, and death. that has to count for something.
36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts
heres a good read on durant   http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/luke_winn/02/13/durant/index.html
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Espurs117
[QUOTE="MavsFan2007"][QUOTE="nygiants1080"]Topic.romocop33

i wouldn't want to build a franchise around scottie pippen. oden has looked amazing with his dominant hand in a cast. great big men are hard to find. i'd take oden. plus his name is close to Odin, the Old Norse god of wisdom, war, and death. that has to count for something.

Durants offensive game>Pippens.
acviper123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#48 acviper123
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts
Oden, by a long shot in my opinion.
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts
I have doubts about Durant's skills bodying up to someone. Besides I believe that you build your team from the inside out(in virtually every sport) In football you start in the trenches and in basketball you start in the paint. If you can dominate the paint everything becomes easier and it gets others open shots since the other guys will have to double up. So, I'll go with Greg Oden. Crazy to think he isn't even using his strong hand to shoot free throws...
d12malu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 d12malu
Member since 2002 • 1023 Posts
     Really depends on what team gets the first pick. If a run-oriented team ends up gettting the first pick, then I say Durant. While Oden is the best center available in the draft in a long time, he plays a dying position. The game is getting faster, and big men are becoming a liability. Oden has remarkable quickness and footwork....but for a center. Durant is so multi-faceted, you can easily build a team around him because of how versatile he is. Oden is the best player, for a pure position, in a set offense. But put Oden in an up-tempo offense, against a fast break team, and he'll be late to 50% of the plays. Durant would still put up Garnett-like numbers in the half-court, but give you Marion garbage points in the fast break as well!