Am I a cheapskate? I get free games off Epic.

• 62 results
Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

Just now got Dying Light EE which is available for free at Epic. I buy games only at Steam , it's not about money but I'm fed up managing so many accounts at EA, Uplay, GOG so I keep my game purchased library at one place for easy navigation.

Well?

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1005 Posts

Free games are never a bad thing in my book. I typically use steam for purchases but I also have gamepass

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2147 Posts

Got Death Stranding when it was free on EGS. Downloaded it, never started playing. Now the game is on the Humble Choice bundle and I'll be getting that one to have it on Steam, lol, already uninstalled the EGS copy.

I just take everything they offer and don't play any of the games as a **** you to Epic.

BTW, how's The Following DLC? I finished the base game and stopped playing, never even tried the expansion. Is it worth a reinstall just for that, seeing how DL2 is inferior to the original?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

Better uninstall that shit and go pay for it instead ya bum. I see it's $29.99 on Steam. Grab that and mail a $30 check to Techland Publishing to make up the full price difference.

Disgraceful.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2588 Posts

Get “free” games and dont think twice. That’s for the corporations to worry about, not you

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#6 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17850 Posts

Dumb not to enjoy the free games. The real question though... Why haven't you played Dying Light before after all these years? Great game.

Anyway, I have no issues with multiple stores/apps. Most of the time I am just launching the game and not using any extra community features that Steam excels at. So, no biggie.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3459 Posts

@ghostofgolden: So in this case you're not worried about the future of the hobby?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46493 Posts

Mordhau is a game I always wanted to check out, of course I'll get it free on Epic next week and try it.

@BassMan said:

Dumb not to enjoy the free games. The real question though... Why haven't you played Dying Light before after all these years? Great game.

Anyway, I have no issues with multiple stores/apps. Most of the time I am just launching the game and not using any extra community features that Steam excels at. So, no biggie.

Other stores tend to shut down: GFWL, Bethesda DRM

Steam doesn't.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

You're not cheap. You're frugal.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7224 Posts

No, you should praise the evil chinese dictator for blessing you with a free game and paying off your beloved developer to depend on money from the o great one. What game would you like to play next? SHUT UP! Youll play whatever we SAY youll play. Now go play our Dying Light you tool, get to work o little one.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39426 Posts

STILL have never even downloaded Epic. I am strong like that.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11804 Posts

I don't bother keeping up with Epic Store freebies anymore. They keep giving out the same games or games no one really wants. The last game I was interested in was that they gave out for free is F.I.S.T. All the other games they give out for free I can get them in Fanatical and Humble Bundles. You can't even get the Steam overlay to work in Epic Store games, so they kill a lot of appeal for me who likes to play some games with Playstation controllers without having to turn on mapping software and mapping for each game. I also can't screenshot with the controller in the Epic launcher.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46493 Posts

@mesome713 said:

No, you should praise the evil chinese dictator for blessing you with a free game and paying off your beloved developer to depend on money from the o great one. What game would you like to play next? SHUT UP! Youll play whatever we SAY youll play. Now go play our Dying Light you tool, get to work o little one.

Meanwhile Nintendo is owned by the Middle East, I see nothing wrong there.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 514 Posts

I've gotten nearly every free game from Epic and haven't ever made a single purchase on EGS. It's not bad at all, it's a perk of being on an open platform that has competition. Do whatever you want, screw what anybody else thinks.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16580 Posts

@kazumakiryu21: you're awesome my man.

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: You too my freind 😀

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

I grab all the free games (whenever I remember to), but it's pretty useless that I do. How many games have they given away now? 300? I've played maybe two of them for a little bit. I already have all the good shit they're giving away on Steam, and the rest is mostly junk that I'd never play.

Like now, Dying Light and something called Shapez. I played DL several years ago (it's ok, not great), and wtf is Shapez? Don't know, but I'll grab it and put it on the pile of games I'll never play.

What I've been doing is making a category called "good shit" and put everything that's actually good and might be something I'd want to play in the future in it. That way I don't have to scroll through all the crappy stuff in the library.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45328 Posts

I think the fine line is if you only play free games lol. Then yes, you are a cheapskate.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

My motto...

If it's free it's me.

If it's a meal, it's a deal.

lololol :P

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@kazumakiryu21: To rant a bit. The IP laws, trademarks and patents are all just bs anyway. They are hypocritical laws that goes against your right to free speech, but it's tolerated to support the larger goal of innovation. However, when companies like Nintendo are selling a 40 year old 8 bit Mario game and Sony scamming people with the 5th remaster of tlou, that's when you know things have gone too far. Somewhere along the way, the original intention of these laws were lost.

Don't worry about getting free games. I salute you for doing it my friend. More people should grow a sack and do it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70025 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

@ghostofgolden: So in this case you're not worried about the future of the hobby?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59197 Posts

Nowt wrong with being a cheapskate.

These companies will happily **** you if they can get away with it. Just beating them to the punch.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70025 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

These companies will happily **** you if they can get away with it. Just beating them to the punch.

I was told we need to care about these multi billion/trillion dollar companies' financials and insure that they are making enough money.😎

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GhostOfGolden

@kathaariancode said:

It’s a 7 year old game…

Nuance is dead

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17853 Posts

At the end of the day it's a companies job to earn business...they are not entitled to money or profit just because they exist.

If you don't feel like spending money on a store for whatever reason they you are not obliged to.

Epic know what they are doing. They don't give away those free games out of charity. It's a long play. They hope that enough people get enough of a library on the epic store that they then consider that their defacto store....or at the very least it will be one of the go to apps someone installs when they get a gaming PC: Like Chrome (boo, firefox FTW! :P) or Steam.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KathaarianCode

@ghostofgolden: There's no nuance in your post:

"Get “free” games and dont think twice. That’s for the corporations to worry about, not you"

Which I agree 100%.

However... when someone says how great Gamepass is you response is that "people don't care about the future of the hobby".

You can't blame me for pointing out the obvious.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Believe me, if you have Epic launcher on your system...you ain't getting nothing for free.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GhostOfGolden

@kathaariancode said:

@ghostofgolden: There's no nuance in your post:

"Get “free” games and dont think twice. That’s for the corporations to worry about, not you"

Which I agree 100%.

However... when someone says how great Gamepass is you response is that "people don't care about the future of the hobby".

You can't blame me for pointing out the obvious.

Game Pass games aren’t free… Epic doesn’t giveaway new games… This comparison is bad

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KathaarianCode

@ghostofgolden:

"Get “free” games and dont think twice. That’s for the corporations to worry about, not you."

You should be clearer next time. But at least, for once, you were spot on even if accidentally.

"Game Pass games aren’t free"

And maybe don't write "free" between "" if you are actually being literal about it. Dude you're getting super weird.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GhostOfGolden

@kathaariancode: You’re dissecting my post, and I’m the weird one?

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KathaarianCode

@ghostofgolden: I replied to your post, which is normal in a forum, and you want me to read things which aren't there. Yes, you are weird.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GhostOfGolden

@kathaariancode said:

@ghostofgolden: I replied to your post, which is normal in a forum, and you want me to read things which aren't there. Yes, you are weird.

You replied to my post, trying to compare decade+ old games given away on the EGS with Game Pass. Thats weird..

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 uninspiredcup

@Pedro said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I was told we need to care about these multi billion/trillion dollar companies' financials and insure that they are making enough money.😎

Oh, should see the Steam forums. They bend over backwards to bat for them.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KathaarianCode

@ghostofgolden: Again, you wrote

"Get “free” games and dont think twice. That’s for the corporations to worry about, not you."

Nothing in here indicates any of the crap you're trying to use to justify your misstep.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 853 Posts

There’s nothing wrong with accepting free games. But there is something unfair about taking free games from EGS without making any purchases from EGS for some other games. Why would you ONLY make purchases from Steam? Epic can’t afford to keep giving away free games unless they also make money from selling other games too.

Go ahead and buy games from Steam, but perhaps you can buy games from EGS as well, because EGS can use your money to continue funding free games each week.

As for me, I accept EGS free games, but I also buy from there too. I do the same for GOG Galaxy and Steam. I have been concerned about Steam having a PC gaming monopoly for some time, so I encourage people to diversify the stores they buy from, rather than just Steam all the time.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blaznwiipspman1

@lavamelon: fantastic post. The worst thing for gamers and consumers are monopolies. This is why it's very important to support as many platforms as possible. Ideally you should split your library 5 different ways.

Unfortunately the government has forgotten this principle and they support and allow monopolies like Sony get away with all sorts of shady stuff because the politicians get kickbacks and bribes. Real sad situation, but doesn't mean we consumers need to stand for it. Support all companies my friend. I will even buy a Playstation even though its such a garbage system with no games. If Xbox gets too big, I'll start buying all my games on Playstation. This is the way.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
@lavamelon said:

Epic can’t afford to keep giving away free games unless they also make money from selling other games too.

Go ahead and buy games from Steam, but perhaps you can buy games from EGS as well, because EGS can use your money to continue funding free games each week.

As for me, I accept EGS free games, but I also buy from there too. I do the same for GOG Galaxy and Steam. I have been concerned about Steam having a PC gaming monopoly for some time, so I encourage people to diversify the stores they buy from, rather than just Steam all the time.

Bro, it's not a charity, you don't owe them shit. And they aren't doing it out of charity, they trying to become the dominant platform by creating attachment to the platform.

Also this is an inherently weird argument as Epic tried to enforce console like exclusivity to the platform denying Steam, and other platforms of games trying to funnel you onto only using their service.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lavamelon

@uninspiredcup: I know Epic wants more market share. I don’t blame them for wanting a bigger slice of the pie. But why is it wrong for Epic to pursue more market share but it’s okay for Steam to actually have the market share? Having market share is okay, but trying to chase it is wrong? Makes zero sense to me. Whenever I raise this question, people quickly defend Steam by saying “but Valve is not an evil company, they don’t run around sacrificing innocent kittens for it’s okay for them to have a tons of market share, unlike Epic who are evil”. Well, okay.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lavamelon

@blaznwiipspman1: Thanks for that, I agree with you. The best way to fight monopolies is to diversify the stores we buy from. Sadly, most PC gamers have abandoned this idea by buying nearly all their PC games from Steam. I buy plenty of games from Steam too, but I also buy from Epic and GOG because I don’t want Valve to have too much power.

PC gamers have forgotten what an open platform actually means. Might as well stick to consoles if you want to keep everything in once place.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44362 Posts

Nothing wrong with going for a deal that these companies are offering up themselves.

#value

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blaznwiipspman1

@lavamelon: pc gamers are just sad sacks, it's true. They might as well just stick to consoles lol. Imagine giving so much power to steam. Anyone born before 2008 should know well what gaming is like. Now fatty Gabe is trying to grow his monopoly by using things like the steam deck.

My EGS library is growing nicely though. Thanks to op, I just added another game to my egs library. OP should sticky this thread and announce the weekly free downloads. It would be a good community service.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blaznwiipspman1

@girlusocrazy: I agree egs should support Linux. I tried to get egs working on my steam deck and it didn't work. Gamepass works though.

Why doesn't steam support Microsoft windows on steam deck?? Gabes not a Saint after all is he.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11663 Posts

The free games are the only thing EGS is good for.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8501 Posts

I swear I have seen the same thread by the very same user just a while back.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KathaarianCode

@Archangel3371: But what about the future of the hobby? Don't you feel concerned?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44362 Posts

@kathaariancode: My concern is immeasurable. 😅

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

For SP games I tend to just buy the game where its cheapest, idc if its gog, egs, or steam.

I take advantage of freebies on all platforms as well. why not.

I have no allegiance to any digital storefronts, its like saying "i would only buy a game from Best Buy and never Walmart"...