are you happy using too many launchers on pc nowaday?

• 70 results
gtx021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll are you happy using too many launchers on pc nowaday? (69 votes)

yes, 16%
no 43%
i don´t care,because i´m pc master race 41%

1. Steam.
  2. GOG Galaxy. ...
  3. Itch.io. ...
  4. Origin. ...
  5. Windows Store. ...
  6. Battle.net. ...
  7. Bethesda Launcher. ...
  8. UPlay
  9. epic store
 • 
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

It’s annoying. I have enough usernames and passwords to keep noted. It’s not like I’m forced to use them all though. I only use Steam, GOG and Battle.net. I’ve been using Steam less and less.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#52 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

No I'm not happy. It's like winning a boxing championship. It's so hard to double click on icons that I ended up breaking my jaw twice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

Eh? Is this a question about being lazy to run a program before you get to play a game OR about being worried that the company who makes that said launcher will go bankrupt and shutdown the servers?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I have zero issues with any publisher or developer launching their own IP's on their own launcher, even Epic. What I don't want is to be forced to use a sub par service to play a game from a different developer though (timed Epic exclusives).

Personally, if I was a game developer I would want to release my game on as many services, stores and platforms as possible. Exclusives, especially on PC, are a silly concept (be that on a store front or platform) if you have the funds and resources to spread to a wider audience.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 GarGx1
@WESTBLADE said:

Eh? Is this a question about being lazy to run a program before you get to play a game OR about being worried that the company who makes that said launcher will go bankrupt and shutdown the servers?

As far as Epic is concerned it's far more about it being a poor launcher, with terrible security. That's not something I'm willing to support.

I have games on Steam, Uplay, Origin, Battle.net, Xbox Live (Windows App store) and Rockstar Cafe so it's certainly not an issue of being "too lazy" or being worried about a store going bankrupt.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

No, but the more competition in the PC store space, the better it is for us I suppose?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

For 1, Blizz and Perfect World are for MMO's, so I don't count them. Uplay can be avoided by just launching off Steam. And the only time I use Origin is when using Origin Access, so I see the service and platform as their own thing.

Epic is the only lame one, yet, I have like 5 free games, 2 of which I've wanted for ages, and other 2 I really like but already played on Steam, 5th being Fortnite. I don't mind accepting free shit from Epic, but I don't plan to buy games from them. However, I do see in 5 years that Steam and Epic become my Xbox and PS4.

Crimson_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58 Crimson_V
Member since 2014 • 166 Posts

I use a custom LaunchBox based launcher with some ahk support i don't care much for retailer launchers as i don't really need to use them.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@WESTBLADE said:

As far as Epic is concerned it's far more about it being a poor launcher, with terrible security. That's not something I'm willing to support.

I have games on Steam, Uplay, Origin, Battle.net, Xbox Live (Windows App store) and Rockstar Cafe so it's certainly not an issue of being "too lazy" or being worried about a store going bankrupt.

Same here. Competent launchers are fine. I'm also just entirely uncomfortable with Epic and TenCent, so I won't put payment info there... If they offer cards I can buy in store, then that's okay. The rest of my info is floating around anyway, so they can go nuts there.

Kruugh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 Kruugh
Member since 2017 • 117 Posts

@NoodleFighter: UWPHook will let you add MS stores games to Steam with no problems

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Its never been a problem for me, while I would prefer them all on Steam its not really much of a inconvenience... I mean a modern PC with a SSD/M.2 drive makes nothing frustrating on PC anymore not to mention that navigating with a mouse makes things drastically faster and doing anything on my PS4 Pro that involves anything outside of running the game already on my front screen area is a nightmare and God forbid you have to type something up using a controller.

All the issues PC's use have are more or less gone in my experience and with the addition to these fast hard drives I would much rather have every game on a PC where I have say on what hardware is on it and what settings the game will run at and resolution... I know its off topic but God damn PC gaming has never been this good from hitting my ON button and clicking on a launcher and loading up a game can take less than 30 seconds now before I see a loading screen.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

I use Steam, Direct 2 Drive, Origin, and Widows store.

Steam: The one I use most: (Simplilly due it me being able to buy a $20-$30 steam card whenever I want a new game.) Also very useful when storing games across multiple hard drives.

Direct 2 drive: Really only use for Rise and fall, civilizations at war and Mount and blade Warband, re-bought most of the games in steam after the Securom fiasco.

Origin: Only use for my Sims 3 game and expansion packs.

Windows store: Only use for Minecraft. Might buy a Forza game or two on it later though.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts
@Kjranu said:

No, but the more competition in the PC store space, the better it is for us I suppose?

I wish that competition were between quality games instead of launchers.

Valve and Epic barely qualify as game devs these days. Valve wants to sit back and make money, while Epic wants to spend money to disrupt Steam.

Uplay may be another useless launcher, but at least Ubisoft makes games to justify having a launcher.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

This is the biggest nonissue I’ve ever seen people bitch about on the internet. Wanna play Spider-Man or God of War? That costs you $300-$400 dollars. Wanna play Apex? Oh no, I have to use a launcher other than Steam? Come on folks...

Competition is good. Epic giving devs a bigger cut means more money for devs to create games. Yet we have people here fighting FOR a monopoly. Y’all are nuts.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

Yes. It's not a problem for me. I like having stuff decentralised.

I occasionally forget what games I have spread over the various launchers though, so I'll generally just scroll through my STEAM library when I'm looking for something to play.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 GarGx1
@goldenelementxl said:

This is the biggest nonissue I’ve ever seen people bitch about on the internet. Wanna play Spider-Man or God of War? That costs you $300-$400 dollars. Wanna play Apex? Oh no, I have to use a launcher other than Steam? Come on folks...

Competition is good. Epic giving devs a bigger cut means more money for devs to create games. Yet we have people here fighting FOR a monopoly. Y’all are nuts.

Can you please point out the people who are fighting for a monopoly, which is a completely different thing to wanting a competent, user focused and safe to use service, which Epic most certainly is not.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#67  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70400 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Its pretty hilarious. The reality is that these are Steam fannies that are are in denial. :)

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#68 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Bbbb crying lol

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11816 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

I don't really care that much. its a mild inconvenience. I remember the days of going to the store, buying a game with 6 CDs and having to install the game by swapping out the CDs one by one. that was inconvenient.

in most cases I just add non-steam games to steam and launch them through steam anyways.

though Epic doesn't allow this, as if they needed another reason to not like them. not sure you can do this with Windows Store games either.

Do Epic Store games really not launch through Steam? Fortnite use to be able to be launched through Steam but it seems Epic went out of their way to make it not work. Everytime someone a found a new workaround to get it to launch Epic would release a new update that would break that workaround. Does this apply other games on their store? Trying to launch the Epic Store through Steam doesn't seem to work either.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11816 Posts

@kruugh said:

@NoodleFighter: UWPHook will let you add MS stores games to Steam with no problems

Thanks for the heads up but I only have Gears Of War 4 which I hardly play the multiplayer of. Will keep it in mind in case I buy anymore MS Store games.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#71 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@NoodleFighter said:
@with_teeth26 said:

I don't really care that much. its a mild inconvenience. I remember the days of going to the store, buying a game with 6 CDs and having to install the game by swapping out the CDs one by one. that was inconvenient.

in most cases I just add non-steam games to steam and launch them through steam anyways.

though Epic doesn't allow this, as if they needed another reason to not like them. not sure you can do this with Windows Store games either.

Do Epic Store games really not launch through Steam? Fortnite use to be able to be launched through Steam but it seems Epic went out of their way to make it not work. Everytime someone a found a new workaround to get it to launch Epic would release a new update that would break that workaround. Does this apply other games on their store? Trying to launch the Epic Store through Steam doesn't seem to work either.

i tried with the only game i've played through the Epic store, Metro Exodus, and it didn't work. I think it popped something up that made me think they'd intentionally blocked people from doing that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#72 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58504 Posts

I really don't care about the number of launchers, on two conditions:

1. They offer a Steam-like experience or better

2. If they do offer exclusives, it is only as their own products.

I am fine with Steam and GoG because those both offer great services in addition to arguably the largest selection. Likewise, I am fine with using Origin, Battle.net, and Ubisoft as they only really offer their own games as exclusives, and not the games of others.

Epic is pretty much going against those two principles: as a service, it is terrible; and their selection is also terrible, and they're buying their exclusivity rights for games they didn't produce or develop.