As PC improvements become more expensive and slows to a crawl; consoles to become more attractive?

• 66 results
rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll As PC improvements become more expensive and slows to a crawl; consoles to become more attractive? (56 votes)

Probably. 30%
About the same as it's always been. 30%
No. PC will increase the gap even more than last gen. 21%
No. Consoles will become more expensive as well. 14%
Other (please state). 4%

As PC improvements become more expensive and slows to a crawl. Console to become more attractive?

Some deem the One X already so good with its package for $ 399 compared to PC. Next gen seems to be rumored at around $ 499 with even a much larger improvement in hardware package compared to PC.

Perhaps the recent Zens are/will be simply an anomaly and the PS4/X1's jaguar was just too **** that will exaggerate the leap in price to performance gains next round.

Tech in general has been becoming quite expensive and improvements are slower than before but the consoles has a wild card of possibly eating a substantial amount of cost for pushing hardware to consumers but as an initial loss of $ from Nintendo/Sony/MS.

estimates:

PS3 = $ 200-300 loss / unit.

PS4 = "no loss"

PS5 = rumored $ 100?

Then again, there might not be much of a difference since the next generation hardwares won't really be immune to the price hike of tech in general.

• 
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17809 Posts

PC will always rape consoles. For those who care about quality and want the best, PC is the only option. Consoles are secondary platforms for exclusives. I don't even consider the idea of having a console as a primary platform. Way too limiting and half-ass.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

@BassMan: Typically I laugh at individuals who cannot come up with a better word than "rape" to describe said difference. I hope you are young and naive.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NfamousLegend

I don't have the time or interest to invest in a moderate to high-end PC so why would I. If a PS5/Xbox4 can offer Zen2 8c16t, 12-14tflop GPU, 16-24GB ram, SSD, UHD BD, 8K, and ray-tracing for $499 why would anyone bother with a pc.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58976 Posts

Consoles haven't been sexy since the Mega-Drive.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7704 Posts
@nfamouslegend said:

@BassMan: Typically I laugh at individuals who cannot come up with a better word than "rape" to describe said difference. I hope you are young and naive.

Typically laugh at people who genuinely take system wars to heart and go to platform centric websites just to spam that shit on comments

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

No, there's always ways around it. They are having trouble with clock speeds, so they add more cores. While it has slowed down now, it's not forever.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@npiet1 said:

No, there's always ways around it. They are having trouble with clock speeds, so they add more cores. While it has slowed down now, it's not forever.

Not much sure on these but I heard computers can have a paradigm shift with graphene and/or quantum computers?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 npiet1

@rzxv04: I know little about it, from what I understand they use Graphene to convert light into an electrical signal. It's theoretical possible to have it semiconductors down to 1.7nm compared to the current 7nm, which means we could see insane clock speeds. It's the next step before we just use pure light. I've read how they can get photons to act like protons/neutrons and electrons, but the energy needed was to much for use besides in a laboratory (for now).

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BassMan

@nfamouslegend: Laugh all you want. I really don't give a fuk. I say what I want and have never been known to be politically correct.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#10 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@BassMan said:

@nfamouslegend: Laugh all you want. I really don't give a fuk. I say what I want and have never been known to be politically correct.

BassMan is the real MVP

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#11 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Also, it seems like we're getting close that special time again for console fanboys to get insecure about PC at seems. Comparing the "power" of each other's favorite piece of plastic.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I don’t even see the need for PC anymore now that we’re seeing upgraded models of consoles and if the rumours are true, we’ll see them again next gen. Back in the day the differences were staggering, but now the lines have blurred that unless you’re a phile, you won’t see a difference. Certainly not a major difference to justify the high cost of pc gaming and the tweaking you have to do.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

@nfamouslegend said:

I don't have the time or interest to invest in a moderate to high-end PC so why would I. If a PS5/Xbox4 can offer Zen2 8c16t, 12-14tflop GPU, 16-24GB ram, SSD, UHD BD, 8K, and ray-tracing for $499 why would anyone bother with a pc.

Basically, you only focus just 2 things, power & price, but nothing else. Me however, I focus on everything with lower prices on games, free online, open-house vs close house is very important to me on a PC. If I were you, I listen to @BassMan cause he's totally right about consoles.

I use my PC for more then just gaming in higher qualities and if you don't have the time to invest PC, then go buy pre-builds, that's what their build for.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Sevenizz: The upgraded consoles were still shit.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Mighty X1X 4K BC GP MonsterBox is the only way to go.

It's good to be MasterRace. :P

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sevenizz

@Juub1990: While I’m not sure how the ps4 pro stacks up to pc, the X1X has been praised as a great pc alternative so no, not ‘shit’.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Juub1990

@Sevenizz: Don’t care who praised it as a great PC alternative because almost nobody got an Xbox One X to replace their PC. It’s still a piece of crap that forces you to play at 30fps.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator

As the past few generations have shown, new consoles will be mid-high range PC hardware. They certainly won't have the best damn hardware PC's have available, thus they won't be capable of what the best damn PC's are capable of. It will be the same as the last few generations. Nothing for PC gaming will change.

All of these spec talks for PS5 are "up to" It's not going to do all of that at once. You're not getting 8K raytracing graphics in 60fps. It will be capable of 8K, meaning you could probably run the home screen at 8K and stream certain videos at 8K assuming your internet connection is fast enough. Gaming will likely be 1080p with raytracing, maybe 60fps, but I have my doubts. If we're lucky, they'll allow console gamers to toggle some things off. So you'll choose what you want, 4K/30fps no raytracing. 1080p/60fps no raytracing. 1080p/30fps with raytracing. That would be my guess. Some indie titles with very little in the way of graphics, or maybe some older games remastered could be 8K. But I doubt 8K will come into play much if at all.

Console manufacturers love to hype their consoles with a lot of buzzwords and half-truths. I'm certain the PS5 will be more powerful than the PS4, but I don't believe for a second that it will be the second-coming of gaming they're billing it as. When a high-end PC GPU alone costs $500+, you're not going to get an amazing gaming machine for something selling (at a profit) for $300-500 for the entire machine. Unless they are willing to bleed money like they did for most of the 360/PS3 generation, but it's doubtful both Sony/MS will go through that again. Either way, I'll get a PS5 at a later date for exclusive games only.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sevenizz

@Juub1990: And oh yea, another reason the avoid pc gaming. The community. Thanks for the reminder.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Juub1990

@Sevenizz: Lol because the console community is so much better. Get a clue.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NfamousLegend

@davillain-: PC. PC is more than adequate for any work I need to do. Not everyone is a graphic designer/developer.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator

@Sevenizz said:

I don’t even see the need for PC anymore now that we’re seeing upgraded models of consoles and if the rumours are true, we’ll see them again next gen. Back in the day the differences were staggering, but now the lines have blurred that unless you’re a phile, you won’t see a difference. Certainly not a major difference to justify the high cost of pc gaming and the tweaking you have to do.

You're confidence relying on upgrading consoles every 2 years will betray you.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

@Juub1990: While I’m not sure how the ps4 pro stacks up to pc, the X1X has been praised as a great pc alternative so no, not ‘shit’.

Except with a fraction of the games, genres, controls, mods and the ability to multitask... and cheaper games.

Yea, such a good replacement! the worst console of this generation.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

PC gaming is dead...

Unless you love indie games and dating sims. Go download steam then.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Juub1990
@ajstyles said:

PC gaming is dead...

Unless you love indie games and dating sims. Go download steam then.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11797 Posts

@davillain-: Based on what I've learned about the PS5 specs by the time it comes out in the next year or two its GPU will be be on the mid range side. Even the mid gen console upgrades were on par with mid range PC hardware at the time of release. Pretty much all anyone that has built a gaming PC in the last 4-5 years has to do is upgrade to a new GPU and add more RAM if they only have 8GB.

I like how he's relying on upgraded consoles in the first place. Already tells you that he isn't confident the new consoles will even rival high end PCs on launch. I also find funny that for decades console gamers have talked only needing one system and no upgrades and being able to upgrade on PC was a downside now here they are anticipating upgraded consoles.

@remiks00 said:

Also, it seems like we're getting close that special time again for console fanboys to get insecure about PC at seems. Comparing the "power" of each other's favorite piece of plastic.

Yep just look at them talking about how it makes PC gaming pointless because the power gap is now smaller. If that were the case PC gaming wouldn't be getting bigger and bigger every year. There are many other reasons and benefits to play on PC besides graphics even then the gap between PC and consoles will start growing again as new hardware comes out every year over course the generation. It seems they never learn. Are you ready to see a bunch of tech illiterate people now tell you how you're wrong about how powerful their console is and how tech buzzwords like GDDR6 or Navi now suddenly makes it the most powerful console ever and once devs magically optimize for it they beat PC hardware 4 times more powerful than it?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
@NoodleFighter said:

@davillain-: Based on what I've learned about the PS5 specs by the time it comes out in the next year or two its GPU will be be on the mid range side. Even the mid gen console upgrades were on par with mid range PC hardware at the time of release. Pretty much all anyone that has built a gaming PC in the last 4-5 years has to do is upgrade to a new GPU and add more RAM if they only have 8GB.

I like how he's relying on upgraded consoles in the first place. Already tells you that he isn't confident the new consoles will even rival high end PCs on launch. I also find funny that for decades console gamers have talked only needing one system and no upgrades and being able to upgrade on PC was a downside now here they are anticipating upgraded consoles.

@remiks00 said:

Yep just look at them talking about how it makes PC gaming pointless because the power gap is now smaller. If that were the case PC gaming wouldn't be getting bigger and bigger every year. There are many other reasons and benefits to play on PC besides graphics even then the gap between PC and consoles will start growing again as new hardware comes out every year over course the generation. It seems they never learn. Are you ready to see a bunch of tech illiterate people now tell you how you're wrong about how powerful their console is and how tech buzzwords like GDDR6 or Navi now suddenly makes it the most powerful console ever and once devs magically optimize for it they beat PC hardware 4 times more powerful than it?

It is quite funny that console gamers always saw upgrading as a downside, and now they are anticipating and hoping for mid-gen upgrades. It's almost like they didn't know what they were talking about before they actually experienced it; but who does that? Certainly they don't downplay something before experiencing it, right?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58313 Posts

It will be the same as it has always been: consoles will be the cheap option for casuals, while PC is for the passionate enthusiast.

Some people like the Toyota Corolla, some people want a six-cylinder Mustang, while others want a Corvette. There's nothing wrong with any of those cars until you start thinking something is wrong with any of those cars. Just STFU and let people enjoy what they want while secretly thinking they're dumb for spending more on a better experience, you petty shits.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@NoodleFighter said:

@remiks00 said:

It is quite funny that console gamers always saw upgrading as a downside, and now they are anticipating and hoping for mid-gen upgrades. It's almost like they didn't know what they were talking about before they actually experienced it; but who does that? Certainly they don't downplay something before experiencing it, right?

And upgrading PC is a choice after all. You only upgrade when you think you need to, if your PC is doing what exactly as you wanted to, then it's doing it's job. The purpose of a console is to not worry stuff like that but look at where we are now, console gamers didn't need to upgrade from PS4/Xbox One to PS4 Pro/Xbox One X but they did it anyway. I for one never need upgrading to the Pro cause I only use PS4 for exclusives. I also find it funny console gamers still gotta pay online gaming while PC still remains free online which is the best thing on PC, power is a subjective.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

It will be the same as it has always been: consoles will be the cheap option for casuals, while PC is for the passionate enthusiast.

Some people like the Toyota Corolla, some people want a six-cylinder Mustang, while others want a Corvette. There's nothing wrong with any of those cars until you start thinking something is wrong with any of those cars. Just STFU and let people enjoy what they want while secretly thinking they're dumb for spending more on a better experience, you petty shits.

The good news is that unlike cars consoles and PC for gaming are becoming less differential with each gen. Next gen is going to make the difference between the two platforms smaller than ever before.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

With every new gen comes the console fanboys expecting consoles that are $2k super pc's for $400. No wonder you people are so easy to milk for cash.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

There will always be a hardware gap between PCs and consoles for the very simple reason that consoles must lock their tech in for the life of the system whereas PCs can be upgraded piecemeal as new components are released.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58313 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

The good news is that unlike cars consoles and PC for gaming are becoming less differential with each gen. Next gen is going to make the difference between the two platforms smaller than ever before.

I will be honest: I won't be happy no matter how close they get until there are more cross-platform titles. There is absolutely zero reason why I should not be playing the Division 2 on my PC with my friends on their x-boxes and playstations.

In fact, the closer they get in hardware and capability, the more upset I get about it. It's just marketing at this point, marketing and maintaining whatever petty exclusivity edge you might have. Which isn't really an edge at all, just a cudgel to be held over people's heads.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Literally the opposite of this thread is actually happening... The consoles lack of high end hardware and the locked performance and lack of higher refresh rates is what has created the high amount of NEW YOUNG gamer's and streamers leaning more towards PC's than consoles than ever before.

Also price, you console gamer's need to understand price is only a concern for consoles because a high proportion of console gamer's is parents buying them for children, adults spend $5-600 on a new phone a year and $150 on a pair of trainers without a breaking a sweat. The price argument is literally only valid on forums in the real world no one really cares if they are into gaming they will buy a $600 PS5 if it happened.

People thought PC gaming would die when in reality consoles are on life support with products like Stadia on the horizon the conventional console will go the way of the dodo. PC gaming on the other hand will always have a market because they same benefits apply compared to a streaming console i.e. performance and customisation.

I find it funny how delusional console gamer's are, its like your oblivious to the fact that consoles are marketed towards parents buying it for pre-teens I mean the last truly dominating console won because of Wii sports.

I can see a future where the last true gamer's all lean towards PC and the consoles are streaming services filled with reboots and cash grabs with no soul with in the next 2-3 generations.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@rzxv04 Only a person that doesn’t understand technology could say such a thing. Gaming is the only hobby where people can consume the medium without having a damn clue how any of it works. And the “journalist” in the hobby are no better. It’s all baffling to me.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rzxv04

@npiet1 said:

@rzxv04: I know little about it, from what I understand they use Graphene to convert light into an electrical signal. It's theoretical possible to have it semiconductors down to 1.7nm compared to the current 7nm, which means we could see insane clock speeds. It's the next step before we just use pure light. I've read how they can get photons to act like protons/neutrons and electrons, but the energy needed was to much for use besides in a laboratory (for now).

Cool. Thanks for the short explanation. I sadly don't fully understand the value of getting photons to act as either among the three. Something about photons that can have no mass opposed to electrons?

hofuldig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 hofuldig
Member since 2004 • 5126 Posts
@BassMan said:

PC will always rape consoles. For those who care about quality and want the best, PC is the only option. Consoles are secondary platforms for exclusives. I don't even consider the idea of having a console as a primary platform. Way too limiting and half-ass.

yes PCs will always "rape"consoles, but thats only if you spend $1500 on your PC.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BassMan

@hofuldig said:
@BassMan said:

yes PCs will always "rape"consoles, but thats only if you spend $1500 on your PC.

I spend a lot more than $1500, but I am an enthusiast and do not expect many to spend similar. You don't need to spend $1500 to get something that is superior to consoles. If you buy a cheap console, it will be shit. If you buy a cheap PC, it will also be shit. You get what you pay for. Each person can spend for their own needs or budget on PC. They are not limited to shit hardware like on consoles.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@hofuldig said:
@BassMan said:

And you only get the X1X if you buy the X1X... Your logic is flawed. You get what you pay for when it comes to performance and visuals in gaming and that includes consoles. When the PS4 and X1X Launched a PC's with HD 7850/7870 would match them which where $500-600 PC's and now the X1X and PS4 Pro can be matched by $450-550 PC's (RX 570 for pro - 1660 for x1x)

Make no mistake a PS5 will run not much better than the specifications below:

A PS5 will be a $800 PC performance from 2019 and the console is coming what 2020-2021?... Its great for price to performance as usual but since console took the path of X86 they are out dated the moment they hit the selves due to TDP, Price and manufacturing time.

Lets put it in another way everyone's is hyped for Navi right?... Well its GCN based, its not new tech at all now guess what AMD will launch after?... On their road map its called Next Gen so by the time the PS5 is 2 years old their will be hardware out drastically faster on PC sure it comes with a price but nothing will change, consoles will always loose and to match them you don't NEED 1500 PC's.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 npiet1

@rzxv04 said:
@npiet1 said:

Cool. Thanks for the short explanation. I sadly don't fully understand the value of getting photons to act as either among the three. Something about photons that can have no mass opposed to electrons?

Yeah I don't understand it either lol.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rzxv04

@npiet1 said:
@rzxv04 said:
@npiet1 said:

Yeah I don't understand it either lol.

I just hope we do get that breakthrough and prices don't jack up too much. Thanks for sharing.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 npiet1

@rzxv04: no problem. Expect a huge price jump. Graphene is $100 a gram, copper on the other hand is around $8 a kilo. The technology is pretty much here but the cost isn't.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#43  Edited By Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts
@Sevenizz said:

I'm very curious to know, who claimed that the Xbox ONE X and PC are close to each other? Because you clearly don't understand the massive difference between a high end gaming PC and an Xbox ONE X.

@hofuldig said:
@BassMan said:

You don't actually know that, you are just talking out of your hole, stop talking about things you don't know kid.

avenger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 avenger85
Member since 2015 • 304 Posts

I feel like PC gaming is in a very good place atm, ports are way better then they used to be. Plus everything is basically plug n play these days

Consoles have lost a lot of what them special I think. Constant updates, mandatory game installs, midgen upgrades.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

the power gap between consoles and high end PCS will narrow considerably going forward compared to previous generations. performance increases are smaller and take much longer than ever on both the cpu and gpu front. we are also nearly at the end of silicon shrinkage. whether or not this translates to consoles taking a bigger % of the market i dont know

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DragonfireXZ95
@joebones5000 said:

Oh, here we go. The PC "master race" with their console ports that barely look any better than what you get on the xbox one x or ps4 pro, attempting to justify spending $1,000 to play console ports in 1440p. Bu bu but I can use my pc for more than gaming. I can write letters with the Word Perfects!!!!111 GTFO with that nonsense.

Your PCs are overpriced consoles.

Someone already linked you the difference between X1X Division 2 and PC version. That's not even mentioning how much better lighting is with ray tracing, and how much it absolutely destroys the console versions. It's your choice to stay willfully ignorant.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#48 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69488 Posts
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@joebones5000 said:

Oh, here we go. The PC "master race" with their console ports that barely look any better than what you get on the xbox one x or ps4 pro, attempting to justify spending $1,000 to play console ports in 1440p. Bu bu but I can use my pc for more than gaming. I can write letters with the Word Perfects!!!!111 GTFO with that nonsense.

Someone already linked you the difference between X1X Division 2 and PC version. That's not even mentioning how much better lighting is with ray tracing, and how much it absolutely destroys the console versions. It's your choice to stay willfully ignorant.

If only the majority of gamers cared about the marginal differences in graphics between platforms.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DaVillain  Moderator
@Dark_sageX said:
@Sevenizz said:

I'm very curious to know, who claimed that the Xbox ONE X and PC are close to each other? Because you clearly don't understand the massive difference between a high end gaming PC and an Xbox ONE X.

If I have to take a guess, it was probably Ron who made that claimed Xbox One X will be on par with GTX 1070 and that's were this whole claimed being closer to PC started from and alot of Xbox fans believe him.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DragonfireXZ95
@Pedro said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@joebones5000 said:

If only the majority of gamers cared about the marginal differences in graphics between platforms.

He mentioned graphics. I don't care what the majority care about.