Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9868 Posts

The only actual journalist in gaming (as in someone not just forwarding information from the publishers), Jason Schreier, just "confirmed" the setting of both the next Assassin's Creed and Watchdogs.

A few months before this teaser emerged, Kotaku learned from two independent sources familiar with the game that 2020's Assassin’s Creed, code-named Kingdom, does indeed star Vikings. We don’t know much else about the game, but after the phenomenal Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, we’re stoked to see what’s coming.

And

new patch for Watch Dogs 2 also dropped a major clue for Watch Dogs 3, telling the world that it would be set in London (which it is).

https://kotaku.com/odd-tease-in-the-division-2-spills-the-beans-on-the-nex-1833838193

I like both franchises (actually playing WD2 now). Think Ubisoft has improved a lot the last couple of years. They still have too much low quality content, but overall there's fun to be had. And mechanically their games are now sound.

Anyway a few years ago I would have thought Vikings to be impossible for AC, but with the last couple of entries it actually makes sense. Wonder how much of a reboot it will be, or if it will continue in the same style as the last two. London will be awesome for WatchDogs I think. Such a cool city with a lot of character (thinking Lock stock etc).

Anyway what do people think about it?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59096 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7321 Posts

I like both of those ideas for settings. Here's to hoping they turn out to be good games.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sushiglutton

@uninspiredcup said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Lol not sure what that means. Was it an oddly phrased question?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

I think I'm done with the AC series (not a big fan of the new direction they're going with it), but Watch Dogs 3 I'd definitely be up for.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24982 Posts

Instead of bringing back classic series like splinter cell or prince of persia. not.

lets rehash another assasssins creed 101, another far cry 45 and watch dogs the modern day assassins creed.

this years is thier watch dogs 3 year. next year is far cry and assassins creed year. when we will ever see splinter cell?? probably never.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59096 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Instead of bringing back classic series like splinter cell or prince of persia. not.

lets rehash another assasssins creed 101, another far cry 45 and watch dogs the modern day assassins creed.

this years is thier watch dogs 3 year. next year is far cry and assassins creed year. when we will ever see splinter cell?? probably never.

Can't really blame em for going where the money is, as much as you can blame a shark for sensing blood in the water.

It's a large morally void thing that floats towards resources regardless of what it is. Like Galactus or Unicron, but more cuntish. Those fellows at least don't try to get children into gambling.

When they make objectively great games like Rayman Origins or Legend, nobody fucking buys it.

Then they run out and buy Assassins Cry 52, and complain the game they bought repeatedly is shit.

Having said that, i'm also guilty of this. It's that ingrained on your conscious like Coca Cola or Mcdonalds that you eventually give in knowing full well it's pig-feed with a budget.

Gaming journalists are to blame as well, more interesting in politics than "does this game play well", which is bullshit, little snowflakes complaining about toxic masculinity hoping to get back at those who bullied them in school. So sad.

At least they haven't fucked up Rayman, they made those shitty rabbit things, but other than that, Rayman is constantly god tier. A much better franchise than Assasins Pig Feed.

Just wondering what gimmick they will try pull this time to distract you from the fact the game is shit.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46455 Posts

I'm interested in both settings

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Vikings is lame. Not unwelcome, but lame. Watch Dogs in London is brilliant.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7263 Posts

Watchdogs in London sounds ok on paper but it's still the usual Ubisoft formula.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Haven't played an Assassin's Creed in a long time, but I do lovethe setting idea

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I like the assassin's creed setting. If they can make the open world feel more alive this time around and NPCs less generic then I might check it out.

Couldn't care less about watch dogs.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Not interested in Watch Dogs but Vikings setting sounds awesome for new (post Origins) AC games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#14 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I couldnt give a rats a** about AC but Watch Dogs in london sounds cool. I think Watch Dogs 2 is a very underrated game

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Not sure if Vikings is a suitable setting for AC. I mean the Vikings were supposed to be fierce warriors, not stealthy assassins right? Then again the franchise is moving away from the traditional assassination playstyle.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Sushiglutton: Vikings seems like a strange setting and especially considering their "special" ideas from Odyssey and their turn to a more Bioware emotional game mechanics.

But Watch Dogs 3 London seems like a brilliant idea, it´s about time developers start to move away from the same old boring American setting and get their eyes up for cities like London, Rome, Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The viking setting is definitely a backdrop I'd be very hyped for. I'm probably in for that.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#18 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'm interested in both.

I think Ubisoft have been at least putting a bit more effort into their big open world games lately (barring that latest Far Cry thing). The only major weak point is their stories/writing which have been pretty bad for the most part.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I hope they get London right, full of Muslims and stabbings.

We know how much the team love cultural diversity after all. Wonder if they would have the bottle to show Muslim wives locked in their houses when you hack phones and stuff.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8491 Posts

DId I just read someone calling AC phenomenal?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#21 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Assassin's Creed Vikings. So... ...Skyrim, then?

As for Watch Dogs in London, that's actually brilliant.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Odyssey is pretty good, so I'm kind of anticipating a new one.

Watch Dogs 2 was meh, so the verdict is out on that.

They should make an open world Flinstones type game in the stone age where the cars have stone wheels, guns are made out of rock with slingshots attached to them, and dinosaurs are household objects.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

Watchdogs 3 in London sounds cool. Was the last modern open world London game the getaway..??

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts

I like Vikings and the last AC game was good so I might check this out.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#26 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: like Far Cry primal?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95
@with_teeth26 said:

Nah, more like a stone age GTA. Far Cry Primal was incredibly lame.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Because AC fans have been begging for Japan/Samurai/Ninja since ACII, but hey, let's just go everywhere else first.

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@with_teeth26 said:

Primal is incredible. Just because you need a gun to feel powerful, doesn't stop it from being awesome. Riding into battle on the back of a sabertooth tiger invalidates your counter-arguments.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

I don't care for Assassin's Creed at all but I am kind of interested of Watch Dogs set in London. A lot of open world crime games are usually set in America so it would be nice to see some set in England.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Sushiglutton: Jason Schreier's normal articles are full of the usual Kotaku political agenda BS, but as it's not that important to the content of the thread I'll leave it at that.

Vikings could be interesting and allow for a huge game world.

Watchdogs has never been my thing though, didn't like the first one and didn't play the second.

@xantufrog said:

Haven't played an Assassin's Creed in a long time, but I do love the setting idea

Odyssey is a return to form, it's a great game. If you play it, play it as Alexios. Kassandra is just Alexios in a woman skin (same dialog and romance options etc.) and she really doesn't make much sense when Alexios is a bit of an OTT (comically so) Machoman. Though swimming in a skirt is a little disturbing ;)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#31  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19591 Posts

@freedomfreak: Yeah, not particularly looking forward to the Viking setting in AC (GOW already did that last year). A feudal Japan setting would've been more interesting, but that ship has now sailed (with Nioh, Sekiro and Tsushima making an AC Japan redundant).

But the London setting in Watch Dogs sounds interesting. Although it will probably be just the same old Ubisoft open world formula they keep recycling.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts

At this rate they're going to be fully out of steam when they decide to tackle feudal Japan.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

@XVision84: I digged Oddysey and Kassandra like crazy tho!.

Pretty wild too, to see Ubisoft go from AC Unity's Arno to Kassandra.

Kass is Bae. Kass is life.

Viking era is right up my alley. I hope they nail a good combat flow and design that doesn't make controlling the character feel like a slog. Get some nice combat animations in there too. Felt like the combat animations in Odyssey needed an extra year in the oven as they were all over the place and looked odd af in motion.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DragonfireXZ95

@foxhound_fox said:

Because AC fans have been begging for Japan/Samurai/Ninja since ACII, but hey, let's just go everywhere else first.

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@with_teeth26 said:

Primal is incredible. Just because you need a gun to feel powerful, doesn't stop it from being awesome. Riding into battle on the back of a sabertooth tiger invalidates your counter-arguments.

Primal was lame because it was basically Far Cry. Far Cry has just gotten lame, in general, over the years.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By foxhound_fox

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Primal was lame because it was basically Far Cry. Far Cry has just gotten lame, in general, over the years.

Did you play much of it? Or any of it? Sure, it's basically just more Far Cry, but it's a unique evolution of the gameplay, as projectiles aren't nearly as common, and there is heavy focus on using animals. There is also a very hardcore survival mode, including perma-death.

My favourite part is the fact they hired two Ph.D. linguists to construct TWO languages for the game, both historically "accurate" and based on Proto-Indo-European, that every character in the game speaks.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DragonfireXZ95
@foxhound_fox said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Did you play much of it? Or any of it? Sure, it's basically just more Far Cry, but it's a unique evolution of the gameplay, as projectiles aren't nearly as common, and there is heavy focus on using animals. There is also a very hardcore survival mode, including perma-death.

My favourite part is the fact they hired two Ph.D. linguists to construct TWO languages for the game, both historically "accurate" and based on Proto-Indo-European, that every character in the game speaks.

I played the beginning and grew bored rather quickly. Think I put an hour into it and said "that's enough."

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I played the beginning and grew bored rather quickly. Think I put an hour into it and said "that's enough."

So you basically played with none of the skills and likely didn't even unlock the beastmaster skill. Essentially playing nothing of the actual game. Gotcha.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58402 Posts

Vikings? Frack ya!

Damn, they sold me on it again. Just when I think I'm done with Ubisoft, they pull me back in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@tonitorsi: I also went with Kassandra but I couldn't get into the game. The Witcher felt more alive and had more spirit imo. I'm also sick of open world games in general. It could just be me though since everyone I know has been raving about it.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

@Sushiglutton: Jason Schreier's normal articles are full of the usual Kotaku political agenda BS, but as it's not that important to the content of the thread I'll leave it at that.

Vikings could be interesting and allow for a huge game world.

Watchdogs has never been my thing though, didn't like the first one and didn't play the second.

@xantufrog said:

Haven't played an Assassin's Creed in a long time, but I do love the setting idea

Odyssey is a return to form, it's a great game. If you play it, play it as Alexios. Kassandra is just Alexios in a woman skin (same dialog and romance options etc.) and she really doesn't make much sense when Alexios is a bit of an OTT (comically so) Machoman. Though swimming in a skirt is a little disturbing ;)

I played as Kassandra, is Kassandra, Alexios in the Alexios play though?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sushiglutton

@GarGx1 said:

Not really sure why I wrote that intro. It just that every time there is some inside info stuff his name always pop-up. I have no idea what he is writing normally as I don't really read Kotaku except when I get linked there by some breaking news.

@tonitorsi said:

@XVision84: I digged Oddysey and Kassandra like crazy tho!.

Pretty wild too, to see Ubisoft go from AC Unity's Arno to Kassandra.

Kass is Bae. Kass is life.

Viking era is right up my alley. I hope they nail a good combat flow and design that doesn't make controlling the character feel like a slog. Get some nice combat animations in there too. Felt like the combat animations in Odyssey needed an extra year in the oven as they were all over the place and looked odd af in motion.

New combat style was introduced in Origins and then as I understand (haven't played Odyssey yet) they added a bunch of powers on top? I think next game releasing in 2020 should give them plenty of time to brush up combat to a shine. It's great that they have these breathing years now.

Wonder what they will do to parkour though. Vikings weren't exactly known for their tall buildings. I guess if you can raid France/England (perhaps shorelines of those countries will be in the game?) you can climb stuff there. Also the coast in Norway is pretty dramatic, with steep cliffs and stuff. Perhaps we will se a return to the nature-based parkour of AC3?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@Sushiglutton: They changed the combat agian in Odyssey for the better (or its just more polished). I liked the powers in Odyssey if you can call them that. They are more like super moves lol.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sushiglutton

@npiet1 said:

@Sushiglutton: They changed the combat agian in Odyssey for the better (or its just more polished). I liked the powers in Odyssey if you can call them that. They are more like super moves lol.

Looking forward to trying them out :). Love the spartan kick that was shown in trailers, but I haven't seen the rest of the powers (was very burned out after 150h of Origins...). I appreciate that they prioritized gameplay fun over realism.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Great, Ubi always seems to have their act together honestly.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DragonfireXZ95
@foxhound_fox said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

So you basically played with none of the skills and likely didn't even unlock the beastmaster skill. Essentially playing nothing of the actual game. Gotcha.

I don't care about skills. I just want good combat, which this game doesn't have. You can't even block during encounters. The combat is extremely barebones, and stealth is just like any other Far Cry game; it's passable, but ultimately it gets boring after doing it so many times.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56237 Posts

I really wish the next Watch Dogs takes place in Tokyo Japan, not London but whatever, I like the first Watch Dogs more so and Watch Dogs 2 wasn't all that good but just enough to get me invested in another Watch Dogs sequel.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10490 Posts

if both settings weren't part of long running franchises that i don't like, from a dev i often loathe... i still wouldn't be that interested.

a viking assassin sounds like they'll go more god of war than "classic" ac. and i didn't play watch dogs 2 but i did play wd1 and i can say with certain that game could be played in any location on earth and still be shit

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3141 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

I don't care about skills. I just want good combat, which this game doesn't have. You can't even block during encounters. The combat is extremely barebones, and stealth is just like any other Far Cry game; it's passable, but ultimately it gets boring after doing it so many times.

You mean, the combat within the first hour -- your admitted play time -- was almost like the character was low level and hadn't learned much? Shocking.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DragonfireXZ95
@zmanbarzel said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

You mean, the combat within the first hour -- your admitted play time -- was almost like the character was low level and hadn't learned much? Shocking.

So there's a skill that adds blocking to combat? Dodging?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

@Vatusus said:

I couldnt give a rats a** about AC but Watch Dogs in london sounds cool. I think Watch Dogs 2 is a very underrated game

Yeah definitely... I enjoyed WD2 more than the last few AC games.