The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1 The6millionLies
Member since 2020 • 564 Posts

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-assassins-creed-valhalla-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-s

Main points

*Differences in game's visual make-up essentially disappear completely once we move onto PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, where Ubisoft aims for total platform parity and basically delivers that. After a range of tests, there's simply nothing to separate the two in terms of what the game is rendering: level of detail transitions in character quality, tessellation distance and trees and terrain are identical, while shadow resolution is similarly the same. We couldn't find any differences at all in fully matched scenarios and any variations that may have been reported may well be down to the time of day system, which sees lighting adjust dramatically according to the sun's position in the sky (or indeed its absence at night time).*

*Both of the premium next generation consoles also use a dynamic resolution scaling system. The lowest measured pixel count is 1440p (67 per cent of native 4K on either axis) while the maximum is 1728p (80 per cent native) and in almost all scenarios, measuring pixel counts in like-for-like scenes produces the same DRS result on both systems. We've spoken recently about how pixel counts don't really matter any more - but this observation relies to a certain extent on the use of modern temporal reconstruction techniques. What's in use here looks mostly unchanged from the tech that debuted in Origins back in 2017 - and it's starting to show its age, especially as the presentation is much heavier on challenging foliage and vegetation than its predecessors*

*So, similar to our first Series X vs PS5 platform comparison, we're looking at feature parity - but again, performance is where there is a difference. With Devil May Cry 5, Xbox Series X enjoyed a small lead in most rendering modes, falling short against PS5 in 120Hz gaming. With AC Valhalla, there's only one mode and 60fps is the target. While there are problems on both systems, Xbox Series X obviously fares worse. To put things into context, Valhalla targets 60 frames per second, but when the engine is under heavy load and can't render a new frame within the 16.7ms target, it'll present the new frame when it's good and ready, while your screen is updating. This causes screen tearing. Both systems can have issues here, especially in cutscenes, and sometimes in gameplay. However, the key takeaway is that PlayStation 5 is much closer to the 60fps target more of the time, while Xbox Series X can struggle. In fact, at its worst, we noted PS5 delivering a 15 per cent performance advantage over its Microsoft equivalent in identical scenarios*

*As more games target 60fps in the cross-gen period and don't quite sustain the target, so we're seeing a resurgence in games with screen-tearing - something that was all but gone on last-gen systems. This isn't a welcome development to be honest, and that's why VRR - variable refresh rate - is such a boon. In terms of the experience on a standard 60Hz display, Series X is clearly worse off in performance terms. However, we tested Valhalla with VRR enabled on an LG CX display and the tearing is gone, and the presentation remains smooth: the console is fully in command of when the screen delivers a new frame and it's a game-changer, especially for this title. The omission of VRR on PlayStation 5 is a real disappointment, not just here in Valhalla, but also in other games like Dirt 5.*

*Beyond performance matters, it's pretty clear that Assassin's Creed Valhalla still needs a lot of work - especially on Xbox platforms. We encountered plenty of bugs playing this game: in addition to some weird performance bottlenecks on Series consoles, we also noted that camera motion doesn't update with a linear relationship to frame-rate during cutscenes, meaning some ugly looking stutter even with the engine actually running flat-out at 60fps (PS5 is fine here). Other bugs have included NPCs rotating on the spot, the first hit with the axe never registering and where Viking troops froze on the boat during the first raid, necessitating a restart.*

To my understanding parity means the PS5 version is the lead platform and it seems the Xbox versions are broken and need more optimization, some sony fanboys also told me the PS5 version looked better but DF finds them equal.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

Reads like a traditional unoptimized gane from Ubi.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

already a thread on this

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9898 Posts

So VRR will get patched on Ps5 eventually? I thought it was one of the big advantages of HDMI2.1?

@regnaston said:

already a thread on this

This one is much better though 👌

Avatar image for the6millionlies
The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The6millionLies

@regnaston: I didn't see it , plus really lazy thread for those not bothering watching the video. Well mods can lock it then.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

So VRR will get patched on Ps5 eventually? I thought it was one of the big advantages of HDMI2.1?

@regnaston said:

already a thread on this

This one is much better though 👌

Xbox one X has VRR, PS5 will get it.

GamingIsBad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 GamingIsBad
Member since 2020 • 92 Posts

Superior Zen 3 PS5 CPU spanking the Zen 2 XSX CPU. Cerny is such a genius.

The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The6millionLies

@gamingisbad: Imaginary Zen 3 plop_spencer you haven't yet show any proof of your claims but blatant trolling

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20239 Posts

There's definitely something strange going on where the Series X is the one with the most issues between the PS5 and Series S.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70393 Posts

@the6millionlies said:

@gamingisbad: Imaginary Zen 3 plop_spencer you haven't yet show any proof of your claims but blatant trolling

Hmmm. @gamingisbad== @phlop_spencer== @BenjaminBanklin. This is sad indeed.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

@the6millionlies: Like his parents probably did just ignore him he will get bored eventually

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Told you guys that TFLOPS are bullshit.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 regnaston

@the6millionlies said:

that guy needs to be banned he is just spewing nonsense lol . that way he can go back to his PLOP alt

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@techhog89 said:

Told you guys that TFLOPS are bullshit.

Not when referring to same architecture.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

An ugly last gen title runs well on my ps5. I am glad.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

Well there you have it Lems. What do you have to say now?

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LetsHaveFun
Member since 2020 • 369 Posts

Xbox Seriees X should have enough power to overcome some less optimization..

PS5 should be the one dropping frames and having tearing..

Why are the roles reversed??

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fedor

@letshavefun said:

What? No.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Regardless of which console is superior there's no excuse on the developer for such a bad job. If one platform struggles to keep up they should make the necessary changes to meet performance targets. This looks like they straight picked the PS5 version and shove it on the XSX. Lower resolution, lower whatever you need to, just don't release a broken mess.

The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The6millionLies

@letshavefun: To my understanding parity means one is a lead platform and that probably is the PS5 , and all xbox versions are broken especially the S and X versions.

And no , you need optimization remember that ps5 use different clock speeds.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

Sony have had PS5 dev kits out a lot earlier than the xbox series X I still think there will parody between both the whole generation. The PS5 seems to be a very well thought out system.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

No ones commenting on the measly 30fps on Series S? I thought only the resolution was going to change vs the XSX?

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1010 Posts

Why would anyone buy a Series S over a PS5 digital I will never know. If $100 is a deal breaker you have other more important aspects in life to focus on.

com2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 com2006
Member since 2006 • 900 Posts

@nfamouslegend: they want to play Xbox games but a decent pc and the X are too expensive...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

Surprised they didn't touch HDR issues. Reminds me of RDR2 before it got patched, and that is something they covered with multiple videos. For me my blacks turn into hazy greys and when that happens it is flattening colors.i would disable but I don't feel like recalibrating the system HDR for games settings when jumping between games I want the HDR in.

Here's hoping these launch game performance issues are a result of late SDKs.

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LetsHaveFun

@fedor said:
@letshavefun said:

What? No.

What I mean is that thee Series X is supposed to be way more powerful than the PS5..

The game is running at the same settings so why is the Series X dropping more??

Shouldn't it perform the same or just slightly worse if it had all the power??

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

@the6millionlies said:

@letshavefun: To my understanding parity means one is a lead platform and that probably is the PS5 , and all xbox versions are broken especially the S and X versions.

Was the PS5 the lead platform? MS surely has the marketing deal for this game.

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LetsHaveFun
@the6millionlies said:

Parity means the settings are the same which is the case here..

MS had the marketing deal with this game so why isn't Series X the lead platform??

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LetsHaveFun

So this is the third game thhat performs the same or better than the Series X!!

Where is the gap??

The gap was supposed to be the reason to get this thing before the PS5..

H4L90O0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 H4L90O0
Member since 2020 • 14 Posts

I have watched this video from colteastwood and he says that the devkits for the series x are miles behind the ps5 and basically the series x is playing the ps5 version of the games with less optimisation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zCPigsCrqLg

What do you guys think.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mowgly1

@robert_sparkes said:

Sony have had PS5 dev kits out a lot earlier than the xbox series X I still think there will parody between both the whole generation. The PS5 seems to be a very well thought out system.

Yesterday Dirt 5 dev just confirmed that XSX devkits are great, fast and stable. Also that most of the tools were brought over from old XDK. I think dev kits can't be an excuse :

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Getting game development information from Dealer Gaming is like getting political information from the Kremlin. Just stop

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LetsHaveFun

@h4l90o0 said:

I have watched this video from colteastwood and he says that the devkits for the series x are miles behind the ps5 and basically the series x is playing the ps5 version of the games with less optimisation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zCPigsCrqLg

What do you guys think.

I think that's BS..

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 regnaston

@mowgly1 said:
@robert_sparkes said:

Yesterday Dirt 5 dev just confirmed that XSX devkits are great, fast and stable. Also that most of the tools were brought over from old XDK. I think dev kits can't be an excuse :

sorry but that tweet is not accurate at all.. I watched all 2 hours of the original and while he said some of the tools transferred over that the GDK was immature and Devs need time to get used to it

The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The6millionLies

@letshavefun: It's the only one , DMC5 runs 3 modes better on XSX out the 4 , PS5 only wins the 120FPS mode , COD Cold War at 4K/60 and runs better on XSX , then we go to 1080/120FPS mode and PS5 wins.. exclusive deals mean nothing.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11269 Posts

@Pedro said:

It kills me how so obsessed you are with me. I destroy you in arguments and now I must be multiple people. Just because you have to troll with multiple accounts in the name of Xbox doesn't mean everyone else is as sad as you. 🤣

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mowgly1

@regnaston said:
@mowgly1 said:
@robert_sparkes said:

sorry but that tweet is not accurate at all.. I watched all 2 hours of the original and while he said some of the tools transferred over that the GDK was immature and Devs need time to get used to it

How isn't accurate when that part of the interview is cropped from the full interview video? LOL Like he said, MOST of the tools. Also, that means IT IS NOT an entirely a new API like you've said in that thread. Dev kits aren't and can't be excuse for bad results in AC Valhalla on XSX. Direct X 12 it has been around for a while now with a few more things added to it for XSX. It is no different from PS5 using GNM with a few more things added to it.

The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The6millionLies

@mowgly1: You also neglected the part where he says devs are still learning RDNA2 architecture

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

PS5 is the superior next gen console as confirmed by digital foundry. PS5>series x loll

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 regnaston

@mowgly1 said:
@regnaston said:
@mowgly1 said:
@robert_sparkes said:

How isn't accurate when that part of the interview is cropped from the full interview video? LOL Like he said, MOST of the tools. Also, that means IT IS NOT an entirely a new API like you've said in that thread. Dev kits aren't and can't be excuse for bad results in AC Valhalla on XSX.

Did you watch the whole interview or are you just going by this 90 second clip?

"most of" the tools being brought over does not mean that the new GDK does not have many new tools that they have to get used to.

I can bring 50 out of 60 jelly beans into a new bowl, but the new bowl has its own Jelly beans that have to be accounted for too. The problem arises in getting used to the new regardless of what old was brought over.

And just because you being some tools over does not make it an old API. Think Cars for example they change from model year to model year.. sometime slight differences sometimes big differences. This is a big difference change, i.e. a change in the design, with some carry overs

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:

It kills me how so obsessed you are with me. I destroy you in arguments and now I must be multiple people. Just because you have to troll with multiple accounts in the name of Xbox doesn't mean everyone else is as sad as you. 🤣

You just owned yourself with that statement that everyone knows is false.

Also, you are not fooling anyone.😂🤣

The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The6millionLies

@phlop_spencer: So you go back to your normal account, Still waiting for the Zen 3 proof on PS5.

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LetsHaveFun

@the6millionlies said:

@letshavefun: It's the only one , DMC5 runs 3 modes better on XSX out the 4 , PS5 only wins the 120FPS mode , COD Cold War at 4K/60 and runs better on XSX , then we go to 1080/120FPS mode and PS5 wins.. exclusive deals mean nothing.

DMC has places where it's better in either or but when it drops it drops harder on Xbox..

Loading Video...

COD runs as well or better on PS5 especially in 120 mode..

AC runs better on PS5 with less drops in resolution and less tearing..

Xbox has not won a single one of these comparisons the way xbox fans have been claiming it would!!

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LetsHaveFun
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@Pedro said:

He did the same to me!!

All I did was ask him a question..

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:

You just owned yourself with that statement that everyone knows is false.

Yep, you're a fuckin idiot

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Fedor

@letshavefun said:
@fedor said:
@letshavefun said:

What? No.

What I mean is that thee Series X is supposed to be way more powerful than the PS5..

If you actually watched the review you'd have your answer.

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LetsHaveFun

@fedor said:
@letshavefun said:
@fedor said:
@letshavefun said:

What? No.

If you actually watched the review you'd have your answer.

Yeah they said the one thing that can fix it is having the Series X drop in resollution even further!!

This for the most powerful console ever??

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BenjaminBanklin

@letshavefun said:

He did the same to me!!

Because he starts shit with so many people, when they gang up on him, he concludes they're the same account. Instead of just coming to the conclusion that he's an instigating moron no one likes.

LetsHaveFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LetsHaveFun

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@letshavefun said:

He did the same to me!!

Because he starts shit with so many people, when they gang up on him, he concludes they're the same account. Instead of just coming to the conclusion that he's an instigating moron no one likes.

That or a person struggling with paranoia!!