Baldur’s Gate 3 or LoZ Tears of the Kingdom: which will likely get the most GOTY awards?

• 60 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SolidGame_basic

Poll Baldur’s Gate 3 or LoZ Tears of the Kingdom: which will likely get the most GOTY awards? (69 votes)

Baldur’s Gate 3 65%
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom 32%

I have a feeling Baldur’s Gate 3 will be dominant in the GOTY awards. People will say that Tears of the Kingdom is not that different from Breath of the Wild, kind of like how God of War Ragnarok was compared to God of War 2018. Tears of the Kingdom was a great improvement of BoTW and the new gameplay mechanics are brilliant. And I think that it’s one of top open world games from an emergent gameplay standpoint. It might not have a ton of detail or a fully realized world, but it’s actually fun lol. That’s not to say Baldur’s Gate 3 isn’t special though. I‘ve only played about 5 hours and it’s great. It will be the game that 2023 will be remembered most for IMO. What about you, SW? Baldur’s Gate 3 or Tears of the Kingdom, which will likely get the most GOTY awards?

• 
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59203 Posts

Tears of the Kingdom is a very expensive expansion pack with some physics puzzles.

Baldurs Gate III is a masterpiece'. Solidification of Larian Studios being masters of their craft, Bioware, CD projekt and other aspirants now firmly under their shadow. Obsidian bought up and ruined. Bethesda Starfield not even in the conversation.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15958 Posts

Baldur's Gate 3.

I haven't played either but from my experience with BotW... its just an 8/10 at best.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39432 Posts

The thread title is too soft. I wanted to make one with something like "Baldur's Gate 3 will curb stomp ToTK at the game awards".

BG3 will execture totk. Zero chance for zelda to win against it. There's a reason why nobody is even talking about the game, its a one n done forgettable experience that is just a copy paste job from the previous game.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

This match-up is so lopsided it's damn near criminal.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts

Could go either way and I'm fine with that, but I think BG3 is the more deserving.

Now if TotK was the first Zelda game of its kind and BotW didn't already have its day, it would be much tougher to call this one, but Zelda already had its day so let's reward a different game for its accomplishments.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23958 Posts

While I actually liked Tears of the Kingdom.

I think Baldur's Gate 3 is more likely to get it. It is a fresher, newer experience.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen  Online

@Maroxad said:

I think Baldur's Gate 3 is more likely to get it. It is a fresher, newer experience.

totk was extremely forgettable, so no matter what, it has no chance.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan

@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

TotK was not a forgettable game, but hey don't you got a 5/10 game to nut over?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen  Online

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

Its so not forgettable that the game has been erased from everyone's memory about a month and a half after it launched, and the only reason why it even lasted over 2 week are just those dumb and imbalanced creations that people were posting on twatter and youtube. What a disgrace, honestly.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jaydan

@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

Its so not forgettable that the game has been erased from everyone's memory about a month and a half after it launched, and the only reason why it even lasted over 2 week are just those dumb and imbalanced creations that people were posting on twatter and youtube. What a disgrace, honestly.

Go ahead and post links then that contain data to support your claim that everyone forgot about this game.

Until then,

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hardwenzen  Online

@jaydan: To know that totk is long forgotten, you have to be knowledgeable like me.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jaydan

@hardwenzen said:

@jaydan: To know that totk is long forgotten, you have to be knowledgeable like me.

Post the data bro, provide System Wars with the links that support what you say. That's all you gotta do to get people to believe you.

It's really not a difficult request to fulfill; unless, of course, you're full of gas (which everyone already knows you are).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen  Online

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:

Post the data bro, provide System Wars with the links that support what you say. That's all you gotta do to get people to believe you.

It's really not a difficult request to fulfill; unless, of course, you're full of gas (which everyone already knows you are).

I'll post it, but only when i feel like it, which is not now.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jaydan
@hardwenzen said:
@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:

I'll post it, but only when i feel like it, which is not now.

Alright then, take this:

Don't worry, it's Beyond "meat".

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23958 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Most of what is trending in TOTK is high level combat these days. And yes, the game is still being discussed.

Not creations. I see new TOTK content being uploaded on social media every day.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen  Online

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

Most of what is trending in TOTK is high level combat these days. And yes, the game is still being discussed.

Not creations. I see new TOTK content being uploaded on social media every day.

Nothing is trending about the game lul. Its dead and forgotten. Unbalanced creations made to one shot everything in the game is the only thing that was trending to begin with, and that lasted only a few weeks. But then again, was anyone expecting something else? Its just a copy pasted botw with a few new gimmicks. Gamers want new experiences, not replay in the exact same environment a whole generation later. So goofy.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7224 Posts

TotK by a mile. BG3 combat sucks. Also TotK has sold like 25m more copies.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#18 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19643 Posts

TOTK is the better game, but BG3 is the more original game, so I think BG3 would probably be leading.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

I’m going to say that Tears of the Kingdom will get most GotY awards. Definitely looking forward to playing Baldur’s Gate III though.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Who would of thought that the return of messiah ( Starfield )wouldn’t be listed as a GOTY contender 😭

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70026 Posts

Starfield makes a return again.😂

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

I haven't played either game, though I do own the consoles needed in order to. I would surmise that Baldur's Gate 3 will win GoTY, if it's between Zelda and that. I've an inkling that TotK is just more of the same, so the wonder and amazement that Breath of the Wild had is no longer effective for the latest entry. :) Just a guess, of course. ;)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

Starfield, in the hearts and minds of people everyone. 👍😅

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jag85  Online

Resident Evil 4 is better than both those games... But it won't be a leading contender because it's a remake.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1176 Posts

No Starfield in the poll?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61522 Posts

I only got a little into BG3 and had some health issues so i've yet to pick it up again. Whilst TotK is genuinely excellent, it has some tough competition from what i've played of BG3. Just from reactions, i'd probably lean BG3.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6453 Posts

You guys first need to understand how these awards are judged, because it's a process.

Zelda has more than twice the amount of reviews (last I checked), and the nominees are from over 100 outlets picking their top 6 games of the year (there isn't more than 70 reviews of BG3, last I checked) so both games will get nominated along with 4 other games, but Zelda will get the most of the votes.

It's then (here comes the shady part) judged by a panel (can't find any info on who or how many people there are) with 90% counted towards the vote, and 10% of the public's vote is counted, so it's not as clear cut as some of you think.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3740 Posts

Tears of the kingdom is breath of the wild reworked. Baldur's Gate is a masterpiece.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56282 Posts

BG3 by a mile. No way Tears of the Kingdom gonna win GOTY despite it's really good.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46493 Posts

@last_lap said:

You guys first need to understand how these awards are judged, because it's a process.

Zelda has more than twice the amount of reviews (last I checked), and the nominees are from over 100 outlets picking their top 6 games of the year (there isn't more than 70 reviews of BG3, last I checked) so both games will get nominated along with 4 other games, but Zelda will get the most of the votes.

It's then (here comes the shady part) judged by a panel (can't find any info on who or how many people there are) with 90% counted towards the vote, and 10% of the public's vote is counted, so it's not as clear cut as some of you think.

Nintendo has been a household name in gaming since the rise of home consoles, Larian is a smaller studio who made niche PC exclusive games for the longest time, it's just that they are having a smash hit with one of their niche games now.

There is not a doubt in my mind that Zelda will get more votes.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Starfield FTW!!! :P

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen  Online

@last_lap said:

Nobody is gonna give your Remant 2 any awards. Think about that for a second.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44632 Posts

Haven't played either but I will guess BG3 just because that year Disco Elysium released everyone acted like it was the second coming of Christ, so, probably BG3 since the the isometric CRPG crowd seems to be the dominant voice out there when they want to be.

Plus given it's on PS5 and not Xbox Series X|S, it could get that fanboy vote, but devs assured it'll arrive on Xbox by 2023's end. But, if the devs want those accolades, they'd delay it just to get the Sony fanboy votes, and the Sony fanboy voice is both loud and sticks to a Spartan phalanx defense of constant and consistent and repeated talking points, get them heehawing about BF3, people will think it's the game if the century for an entire millennium.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19589 Posts

They're both excellent. I think BG3 will get the award, but TOTK was easily the frontrunner for most of the year.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1023 Posts

I'm just glad both of these 10/10 games this year are by far better on PC. Phantom Liberty too, making that all three.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jag85  Online
@last_lap said:

True. More voters have actually played TOTK, so that would work in TOTK's favour. Either way, it will be a tight race between TOTK and BG3.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 514 Posts

Zelda will win just because it's Zelda, but my vote would personally go to BG3. I beat BOTW and I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10. It definitely didn't bewitch me like it was made out to be. BG3 exceeded my expectations with it's freedom of choice and complex systems. It's definitely a game I could play for years to come and have a completely different experience with each playthrough.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Last_Lap

@Jag85: A couple of years ago I wondered how one of the highest rated ganes didn't even get a nomination, so I did some searching and found out what I posted.

The big issue is that the way it counts over 100 sites top 6 picks and how 10% of the vote is made up by the public is public knowledge.

The issue is that there is no info that I could find that states how many people are on the final panel, who these people are or if its the same number/people on the panel each year etc. So 90% of the vote is shrouded in secrecy.

I can say that I put no weight in who wins GOTY. It's just a popularity contest in the end, and an adfest from what I hear as i've never watched them.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Starfield is going to win plenty of GotY awards.

Your just bitter you can't play Bethesda or Obsidian games anymore.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen  Online

@dabear said:

@uninspiredcup: Starfield is going to win plenty of GotY awards.

Your just bitter you can't play Bethesda or Obsidian games anymore.

LOL you're under so much stress nowadays you don't even know who owns which system anymore.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Last_Lap

@R4gn4r0k: The big problem is that nobody other than that Geoff guy and his shonky awards show committee know how many people are on the panel and how the nominees are judged.

Until Geoff becomes more transparent on how the award is given in detail, then it doesn't really matter who wins.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46493 Posts

@last_lap said:

@R4gn4r0k: The big problem is that nobody other than that Geoff guy and his shonky awards show committee know how many people are on the panel and how the nominees are judged.

Until Geoff becomes more transparent on how the award is given in detail, then it doesn't really matter who wins.

Before Geoff started doing the show I feel individual sites held more weight.

Like we would go by Gamespot GOTY's, IGN Goty's, ... I can still remember going over sites like PCgamers, or what individual mags would give. But now the discourse is all around one show.

Furthermore, I can see a resemblance between the Geoff GOTY show and E3 in that:

There are funny and unexpected bits (the Bill Clinton kid) but also really boring and drawn out bits (Christopher Judge giving speech), lol

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

If it were up to me and not a general public, BG3 would win hands down. TotK is to me a beat for beat remake of BotW, just with the Nuts & Bolts engine slapped on top of it. It's almost exactly the same story, combat, and world design, they just threw everything in a blender with a thesaurus, and made the UI and controls shittier. And I enjoy BotW well enough, and TotK by extension, but BotW wasn't even my GOTY 2017, that was Nier Automata. BotW has plenty of problems, that TotK didn't bother to fix or made even worse.

BG3 has some lower lows than TotK, like when it's bad it's real bad (bugs & 3rd act performance mainly) but at the end of the day BG3 feels like a terrific new fantasy story take on a classic universe, with an unprecedented level of player input to change lines, moments, and characters to your liking, huge levels of player creative expression, and fantastic presentation in sound, art, and acting. Where TotK is decently entertaining, it levels off fast at relatively enjoyable and not much more. I simply felt far, far more invested in the story and gameplay of BG3.

Also, while it remains to be seen what the effect of either game is, I'd wager that BG3 will massively reinvigorate the cRPG subgenre, while TotK probably will have no real knock-on effects for the medium that weren't already there from BotW.

Having said all that, I'm not sure what will be the most common GOTY among the general public. I would guess for a lot of places though it will be BG3 because of recency bias and because generally I think those kinds of awards go to games with stronger presentation, which BG3 crushes TotK in.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

BG3 should get it. Tears of the Kingdom is just an expanded Breath of the Wild. Still a great game, but it would be more fun if BG3 got it.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

As much as i like Zelda ... i hope BG3 gets the recognition it deserves, i mean TotK it's a huge expansion and while good, it's probably time to let another game to shine.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

In a fair world, BG3 would win, but it's possible Zelda might pull ahead just because it has the name Zelda in it. People tend to overhype and overrate franchises simply based on name alone thanks to the power of nostalgia. Just look at how long hollow franchises like Fast and the Furious lasted.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen  Online
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

In a fair world, BG3 would win, but it's possible Zelda might pull ahead just because it has the name Zelda in it. People tend to overhype and overrate franchises simply based on name alone thanks to the power of nostalgia. Just look at how long hollow franchises like Fast and the Furious lasted.

Nah, people say this all the time, and i do agree that when a new zelda comes out, it puts everything to the side, and wins goty even when the game isn't even that great, but bg3 had a massive impact, and its a fresh experience. The fact that there's still 135k people playing it right at this moment on steam alone is ridiculous. It will win goty, and be the most deseving title in a very long time.

Loading Video...
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Last_Lap

@R4gn4r0k: I hope someone gets on stage again this year.

I haven't watched the show once, but saw the clips of people getting on stage and Geoff looking like he died on the inside, great stuff.

The show is a total trainwreck, filled with ads and people talking too long, giving awards for esports and streamers etc.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@daredevils2k: Everyone with a brain lol.

Most (including myself) believe Zelda:TOTK had it on lock. Up until BG3 released and after it actually released we all knew BG3 is winning.

Not as one sided as everyone thinks.

Though as predicted... Spider man 2 scored higher than Starfield.

BG3 will win the official GOTY and BG3/TOTK will evenly divide the majority of GOTY wins across the web.

RE4R gets third place, Spider man 2 fourth place.