Can we talk about Sega for a minute UPDATE, new trademarks filed.

• 89 results
Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6421 Posts

EDIT: Sega has filed some new trademarks as seen HERE.

The new trademarks are for the following games

• Altered Beast
  • Eternal Champions
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Alex Kidd
  • After Burner
  • House of the Dead
  • Outrun
  • Super Monkey Ball

Some good ones but also some underwhelming ones. Sega really need to start remaking/remastering its old school rpg's.

So, I didn't watch the ad show, oh my bad GOTY awards, but I saw Sega dropped some megatons with a trailer for Remakes/sequels of some classic Sega games in Shinobi, Golden Axe, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi and Streets of Rage.

As some of you may or may not know i'm not a fan of remakes normally, but I will make an exception here because Sega need to reboot its classic IP's.

As someone who owns games from each of these franchises and will most likely buy them all.

Also, I wonder what other games they mean by saying more at the end of the trailer?

What are you looking forward to and what games would you want from the more they're working on?

For me I would like to see remakes of Shining force 3, because the game was in 3 parts and the last 2 didn't get a release in the west.

Skies of Arcadia, one of the best rpg's of all time.

The Saturn version of Virtua Racing.

The big one Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I will only name those as I could literally go on all night listing games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#2 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19638 Posts

A new Streets of Rage, Shinobi and Golden Axe?!

Best announcement I've heard from Sega in a long time!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24996 Posts

Shenmue 4 or dont care at all.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1261 Posts

Shinobi looked pretty good, seems like a safer bet then the others atm since it's sticking to 2D. Hope they all wind up being quality releases.

I wish Capcom would do the same.... Announce a new DMC, megaman, Onimusha and Dino Crisis all at once .

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Damn. Nice!

Why did they wait so long? Not using a single good IP they have for years, and now they use all of them at the same time?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

The only one that looks legit good to me is Shinobi since it's apparent that Lizard Cube/Guard Crush is making it.

SoR5 (I'm tentatively calling it since that's hobo Axel), I need to see more from, and more importantly know who's making it since it's 3D. There's a small chance it's a callback to the Dreamcast game, but I doubt anyone at SEGA today even knows that was a thing.

Jet Set Radio & Crazy Taxi could be GAAS if the rumors hold any weight, but they'll probably be fine.

Golden Axe might as well be a new IP.

-------------------------

On one hand it's a bunch of dreams coming true at once, but again, only for one of them I'm willing to put any faith towards. SEGA has a tendency to hire nobodies for project revivals which can be good (e.g. SoR4) or shit (Panzer Dragoon Remake). If they're all SEGA AM1 developed as part of the global initiative, then it could be the "New Era" that they're hyping up.

As for what sequels I'd want: (2D) Streets of Rage 5, Sonic Mania 2, Sonic Adventure 3, NiGHTS 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga 2, Skies of Arcadia 2, Valkyria Chronicles 5, Virtual On 6, and freakin' Virtua Fighter 6. VF6 is what I thought we were getting in the first place, if not Jet Set Radio, so that was disappointing.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

Damn. Nice!

Why did they wait so long? Not using a single good IP they have for years, and now they use all of them at the same time?

they still need to return to thier best IP. Shenmue.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Litchie

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Damn. Nice!

they still need to return to thier best IP. Shenmue.

Ew, no.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44631 Posts

Sadly they'd never finance a Bayonetta game by themselves unless Nintendo was paying, never finance another Vanquish but were perfectly willing to capitalize off Platinum's Bayonetta/Vanquish as a 8th gen remaster collection. They only just got a clue couple years ago it might be more fruitful to sell Persona games on systems other than just PlayStation. They're so weird. But they'll make these!

These looks cool though. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth either, given how Sega has been showering Game Pass with content, I hope Game Pass gets most of this day one. Persona 3 Reload just a couple months away and releasing in Game Pass, awww yeah!

Some older titles I'd love to revisit, see a nice new coat of paint. The entire Panzer Dragoon series could use a remake, the original, Zwei, and Saga, even Orta could benefit from a remake though I'm not gonna lie the OG Xbox version running BC is pretty damn good still.

For older games maybe bring some Master System stuff, done even need remakes just do a collection like they did for Genesis games countless times. Maybe a Sega CD collection for a change.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3092 Posts

Shinobi and Golden Axe have me interested.

I much prefer new games to remakes, but I don't mind one if there's been sufficient time since it's release. Nothing sooner than 20 years is good starting point.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Last_Lap

@Litchie said:

Damn. Nice!

I think SoR4 may have woken Sega up as the last sales of the game were over 2.5 million and that estimate was from 18 months ago, so its most likely over 3 million by now.

So, there is money to be made. As for all at the same time, well i'm not gonna argue, just buy them in hopes I get some others I want either remade or better yet sequels to.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever

@last_lap said:

I think SoR4 may have woken Sega up as the last sales of the game were over 2.5 million and that estimate was from 18 months ago, so its most likely over 3 million by now.

But why Sega still ignoring thier best IP by miles? Shenmue?

they need to make Shenmue 4 with big budget. like original 2 were.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Last_Lap

@ghosts4ever: While I love me some Shenmue I have the original Dreamcast games, the OG Xbox version of Shenmue 2, and the most recent games on Xbox, it's not Sega's best IP.

I think when it comes to talking about Sega and its IP's, no offense but you're out of your depth Ghosts.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Litchie

@last_lap: Sure fucking hope so. Just make fun games and people will buy them, SEGA should've understood this earlier. Nintendo's been doing it non stop since the 80s.

Bit worried about SoR5 being 3D..

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Last_Lap

@Litchie said:

@last_lap: Sure fucking hope so. Just make fun games and people will buy them, SEGA should've understood this earlier. Nintendo's been doing it non stop since the 80s.

Bit worried about SoR5 being 3D..

I put nearly 100 hours into SoR4, and I too am a little worried over the graphic style of 5, but if they can nail the gameplay like they did in 4 then I will be more than happy to overlook the graphics, unless they are really bad that is.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghosts4ever

@last_lap said:

@ghosts4ever: While I love me some Shenmue I have the original Dreamcast games, the OG Xbox version of Shenmue 2, and the most recent games on Xbox, it's not Sega's best IP.

I think when it comes to talking about Sega and its IP's, no offense but you're out of your depth Ghosts.

nope. played many sega games when I was child.

but once Shenmue hit. it was ahead of its time.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Last_Lap

@ghosts4ever said:
@last_lap said:

nope. played many sega games when I was child.

but once Shenmue hit. it was ahead of its time.

Name some. I need to know your depth before we discuss this further.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3141 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@last_lap said:

The failure of Shenmue III burned that IP down and salted the earth.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45323 Posts

@zmanbarzel said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@last_lap said:

Lol yea I thought was obvious.. Shenmue didn’t meet sales expectations.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Last_Lap

@SolidGame_basic said:
@zmanbarzel said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@last_lap said:

Shenmue 3 is my next PS4 game to play, I don't care about its sales, as long as it's good that's all I care about.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic

@last_lap said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@zmanbarzel said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@last_lap said:

Shenmue 3 is my next PS4 game to play, I don't care about its sales, as long as it's good that's all I care about.

Lol how do you expect developers to make a living if people aren’t supporting their games? People gotta eat, bro!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22829 Posts

I was real happy for Sega last night. While I'm down on unnecessary remakes of games as cash grabs in the way Sony and naughty dog are doing it, Sega is seemingly using these classic game remakes as a way to reinvigorate their studios and focus on a pretty fun path going forward.

I'm interested in all the games they showed... It's basically just sonic I look at and shake my head at this point. Lol.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Last_Lap

@SolidGame_basic said:
@last_lap said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@zmanbarzel said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Lol how do you expect developers to make a living if people aren’t supporting their games? People gotta eat, bro!

The game met its kickstarter goal and raised over $7.2 million dollars, Sony paid for the game to not be on Xbox under the guise of "marketing rights" not only that but Deep Silver chipped in money also.

And Yu stated that the games budget was $20 million in the end, so we know where the other $12.8 million came from. Then there were the sales of the game, so even if the game wasn't hugely successful it made money.

Gotta do your research mate.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@last_lap said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@last_lap said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@zmanbarzel said:

The game met its kickstarter goal and raised over $7.2 million dollars, Sony paid for the game to not be on Xbox under the guise of "marketing rights" not only that but Deep Silver chipped in money also.

And Yu stated that the games budget was $20 million in the end, so we know where the other $12.8 million came from. Then there were the sales of the game, so even if the game wasn't hugely successful it made money.

Gotta do your research mate.

I don’t think you know what goes into making games lol. First of all, if you played Shenmue 3, it’s no where near as good as the first two. It was obviously a budget title. The original game was one of the most expensive games ever made, and it flopped. Also, if Xbox cared about Shenmue, they would’ve offered Sega the big bucks to make a proper sequel. At least Sony helped with the marketing.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Warm_Gun  Online
Member since 2021 • 2468 Posts

Want to be excited for Crazy Taxi, but they shit the bed with 2 and learned no lessons with 3. I expect more stupid Crazy Jump that cheats you of the traffic and multiple customers in one trip hurting the simple but good formula.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

@last_lap:

I hope one day Sega makes a new Vectorman and Ristar game. Sega has so many interesting IPs and yet they don't bother to make more of them.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#27 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17849 Posts

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

Where's Ooga Booga 2 goddamnit?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50617 Posts

Golden Axe looks awesome...they all did actually. But Golden Axe moreso.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@dimebag667 said:

Shinobi and Golden Axe have me interested.

I much prefer new games to remakes, but I don't mind one if there's been sufficient time since it's release. Nothing sooner than 20 years is good starting point.

Me too! Plenty of fond memories of the OG Golden Axe.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Man does this bring back fond memories. :D

Loading Video...

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

New jet set and Crazy Taxi I'm looking forward too. But are these all going to be full priced games? Or are these shorter $20 type games? That's what I'm not sure about

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

I’m interested in the new Shinobi and Golden Axe games. Kind of surprised that they didn’t show a Virtua Fighter 6. It would be a pretty big reveal though so perhaps it’ll be something that they show off on its own.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

Would be nice to see Sega bringing back Nights into Dreams again as I for one like the IP series. Hopefully, Sega come to their sense and bring back Nights. But anyway, the highlights for me were Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, Shinobi. & Jet Set Radio. Everything else is great and for once, I'm so happy/glad Sega is back with a vengeance.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39404 Posts

No we can't. Its an irrelevant company.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Warm_Gun  Online
Member since 2021 • 2468 Posts

Jet Set Radio needs better gameplay. I don't just want the same thing in 2024/'25. Infinite grinds for points made it dull.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59181 Posts

Of what i've seen Shinobi looks the most promising. It appears to be from the Streets Of Rage 4 team.

While on paper it sounds great, I would remain tepid until get more info on the others.

Sega has already remade Golden Axe, and rebooted it. Both were mediocre.

Streets Of Rage (5)/Reboot appears to be 3D. Alarm bells.

Golden Axe is over the shoulder? Alarm bells.

Others meh on.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Renegade_Fury

Putting the team on his (spiky) back.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: I did purchase Sonic Superstars and pick up Sonic Frontier, so I contributed supporting Sonic and Sega cause I love Sonic games...and yes, I also like Sonic Adventure games in my own way😉

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By uninspiredcup
@hardwenzen said:

No we can't. Its an irrelevant company.

It's almost comical how much they completely fucked over their own IPs for that fucking hedgehog.

Like "Yea mahhhnn Sega bhaccckkkk we MAKING DA GAMEZ"

Yea, maybe should have done that like, a decade and a half ago?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@davillain:

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1139 Posts

I want Virtua Fighter, Thunder Force (Sega owns the IP now), Space/Planet Harrier, Galaxy Force, Phantasy Star SP Campaign, and I didn't see those.

Some of those announcments look OK, but 3D Streets of Rage doesn't sound like a good idea. I hope I'm wrong.

If they wanted to do something else with SoR, they could have tried making a fighting game with the various characters from that universe. I was hoping for a 2D followup to the masterpiece they previously did.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup

@girlusocrazy: Exactly. SOR4 - Gamespot forums official game of the year (tm) was quintessential "if it ain't broke"

If it's good it's good. Great? But it seems like they've taken gold and threw it in a drain.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22829 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Golden Axe looks awesome...they all did actually. But Golden Axe moreso.

Yep agreed... Shinobi looks pretty cool too!

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@uninspiredcup: I don't think it's that, but probably Guard Crush that didn't want to do it. They said something about wanting to do their own thing for their next game, and SoR4 literally had Shinobi imagery in it. They even asked SEGA at the time if they could put Joe Musashi in SoR4 as a playable character.

It's the same reason we're not getting Mania 2, because the devs wanted to do something different.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

Golden Axe, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Crazy Taxi, and Jet Set Radio. This was the highlight of the show for me. This and the Ragnarok dlc being free

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1139 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: I'm legit disappointed we're not getting Mania 2 also but instead we got some 2D/3D thing.

@uninspiredcup: Yea

Maybe in the future these two devs will want to go back to these franchises after they've had a break.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gifford38  Online
Member since 2020 • 7247 Posts

Golden axe looks awesome

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Wasn't Golden Axe on the Amiga? At my friend's house I could have sworn that was what I played it on.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

@uninspiredcup: In Sega's defense, they have tried a few times to be good again, but no one bought the games:

Panzer Dragoon: Orta, Sega Rally: Revo, Resonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles, Vanquish, Binary Domain, House of the Dead: Overkill, Anarchy Reigns, Alien Isolation...