Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

So, barely over 50 million.

https://gameluster.com/court-documents-confirm-xbox-one-sold-less-than-half-ps4-numbers/

A high-profile case is ongoing in Brazil, as Microsoft attempts to defend its Activision Blizzard acquisition from CADE, the Brazilian competition authority. Official court documents have revealed a lot of juicy details so far. The latest court papers from Microsoft have confirmed that the Xbox One sold less than half of Sony’s PlayStation 4 throughout its lifetime.

Microsoft has been refusing to release console sales information since 2015, claiming it isn’t the “key metric of success” they like to focus on. Microsoft prefers to focus on engagement, a key factor for the creation of the Xbox Game Pass. The hesitation to release sales figures never stopped business analysts from coming up with some accurate estimations of sales. Ampere Analysis data predicted 51 million sales of the Xbox One line of consoles in 2020, and it appears they were right.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39261 Posts

And they release their next generation with literally zero games in two years? I think they want sub 50mil two generations in a row. With how low effort went into the YOU KNOW WHICH game, it makes me think that i am right yet again.

And no wonder they're hiding their numbers on systems and games sold. They're far far behind Sony, and with Ragnarok approaching, Xbox is gonna get obliterated like we've never seen before. Honestly worried about our lemmings, and so should you.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11162 Posts

Not only was it a failure, it was also a heavily discounted failure just to reach the numbers it did. So their answer was to throw billions more at Phil Spencer for such a job well done? 🙄

Jesus Christ I work for the wrong company.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44322 Posts

Well now this changes EVERYTHING. 🤔

hansbeej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 hansbeej
Member since 2014 • 320 Posts

I used Google Translate for page 18 of the document, and I don't see this. It's all discussing subscription services. Is it on a different page of the documents?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12331 Posts
@hansbeej said:

I used Google Translate for page 18 of the document, and I don't see this. It's all discussing subscription services. Is it on a different page of the documents?

The document doesn't specify an exact number.

It just says Sony sold more than double the number of consoles.

So < 58.6m if we use Sony's numbers.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56237 Posts

Wait, Xbox One is still a thing?

But either way, Xbox One was a massive failure and MS knows it. Oh well.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17450 Posts

I think it's well established that XB1 was massive failure.

Phil has acknowledged this.

Even that "Origins of Xbox" series had an episode dumping on it lol

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6954 Posts

Wow. Amazing news. This is right up there with the Persians losing to the Greeks in the Battle of Marathon.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@navyguy21: I wouldn’t call 50M a massive failure. Certainly a lot less than they projected but a massive failure is something like the Wii U.

For how it started off and its lack of compelling games and offerings, 50M+ is more than it should have sold.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17450 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@navyguy21: I wouldn’t call 50M a massive failure. Certainly a lot less than they projected but a massive failure is something like the Wii U.

For how it started off and its lack of compelling games and offerings, 50M+ is more than it should have sold.

I, personally, consider it a massive failure because they also squandered all of the marketshare, goodwill and hard work of the 360 era.

All they had to do was improve the console's power and feature set of the console but instead they focused on everything except gaming.

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

You mean to a tell me a generation where Microsoft's first party output dropped to a trickle, they completely botched the system reveal turning everyone off, forcing Kinect into not only the initial package but requiring it to be plugged in, told people if they didn't want an always-online system to get a 360, shuddered major studios while shelving what should be flagship franchises, and so much more wasn't a winning strategy?

The only way Microsoft could have done worse with the Xbox One is if it was called the Wii-U and Nintendo launched it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20131 Posts

@navyguy21 said:
@Juub1990 said:

I, personally, consider it a massive failure because they also squandered all of the marketshare, goodwill and hard work of the 360 era.

All they had to do was improve the console's power and feature set of the console but instead they focused on everything except gaming.

I agree. Much like how the PS3 was a massive failure compared to the PS2. Sony did try turning it around but the damage was done.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16570 Posts

That's some amazing numbers. This gen Xbox is going to hit 100 million. Though Phil is going platform free, so only subs matter to us. Who knows, we might hit 200 million. We're going to the moon 🚀

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69864 Posts

You know things are bad when Sony fannies have to dig up already suspected Xbox One numbers after creating a thread about the Series X selling less than the PS5 but significantly better than the Xbox One. It is almost like they can't make up their minds about what to bitch about.😂🤣

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

Not surprised. No games and a horrible launch. I am more surprised ps4 didnt come closer to ps2 sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

You know fanboys have gone too far with terms like "we" and "us", oh boy.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

The failure of the Xbox One is already well known, but it is nice to see it confirmed in the court documents.

Indeed, it would be possible to compare the Xbox One to the PS3 and WiiU, which each lost more market share than their successful predecessors. However, in the bigger picture, things are not so simple, as Sony and Nintendo had sold 82 million and 76 million units of the PSP and 3DS, respectively, even during their respective downturns. In other words, the success of their handheld consoles more than compensated for the decline in console sales, allowing them to still maintain a significant presence in the gaming industry.

Microsoft, however, had genuinely lost market share during the Xbox One era without such alternatives, and in this sense, it cannot simply be compared to Sony and Nintendo's downturns.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3447 Posts

Impressive numbers for Xbox I thought it was around 40 at best. Those are solid numbers for a failed system, just compare it to the Wii U.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

Some of you literally don't know the meaning of the term "massive failure".

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20131 Posts

@Random_Matt: not the first time either. This is a regular thing.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@Pedro: Lems called PS3 a failure because it didn't live up to PS2 numbers despite it being the best selling console of all time. There was nowhere but down. Same logic here, don't like it? Tough. Can't be consistent to same your own lives.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

And they still have Sony and cows crying like bitches over the zenimax and Activision deals 🤣

When a company you hate can buy the company you love with its lose change,wanking over sales isn't the best material 🤣🤣

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Tell me you’ve never been successful at anything in life without telling me you’ve never been successful at anything in life.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 679 Posts

Microsoft no longer have any interest in the console business and if they can make their money through Game Pass they would happily not make a new Xbox console. Business will decide if they do.

If they could get Game Pass on Playstation tomorrow they would do it and let Sony spend their money R&Ding and making the next generation of consoles and take the money from software sales.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34684 Posts

50 mill? Sounds pretty good to me. 🤷

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46452 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

Wow. Amazing news. This is right up there with the Persians losing to the Greeks in the Battle of Marathon.

't was quite the spectacle.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

xbox one was trash remember my xbox one in my closet it exploded and smoke came outa it

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

In other words the X1 was a successful failure.

How a person defines failure and how a company defines failure are most always different.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@Sagemode87: Triggered again.😂 The PS3 was not a massive failure.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8874 Posts

@mowgly1: How is this news? MS even admitted the Xbox One was a complete failure in their documentary.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

FBI found more court documents after raiding Kaz Hirai's basement.

According to these documents PC won last gen in hardware sales, software sales, high scoring library count, graphics, performance, and online gaming.

@hardwenzen said:

And no wonder they're hiding their numbers on systems and games sold. They're far far behind Sony, and with Ragnarok approaching, Xbox is gonna get obliterated like we've never seen before. Honestly worried about our lemmings, and so should you.

Grats' on XB and PS fighting for second place.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6943 Posts

That's what happens when you make your console completely irrelevent. Ironically Sony is trying to do the same thing.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Silentchief
@zaryia said:

FBI found more court documents after raiding Kaz Hirai's basement.

According to these documents PC won last gen in hardware sales, software sales, high scoring library count, graphics, performance, and online gaming.

@hardwenzen said:

Grats' on XB and PS fighting for second place.

How did PC win hardware sales? Did Nvidia, AMD and Intel unite to form an alliance where they share hardware profits? Playstation won more then half the best graphic awards last gen as well and had the very best games along with Nintendo .

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11623 Posts

Not too bad considering their tragic first party releases last gen. I thought they were closer to 40-45 million sold. Not that it really matters anymore, the Series X is selling as soon as they can get them in stock.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

@davillain: Davillain, where are you originally from?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zaryia
@silentchief said:

How did PC whenwin hardware sales?

With the most gaming hardware revenue.

Global Games Market Will Grow 9.4% to $91.5Bn in 2015 | Newzoo

New Gaming Boom: Newzoo Ups Its 2017 Global Games Market Estimate to $116.0Bn Growing to $143.5Bn in 2020 | Newzoo

This thread is a fight for second place.

@silentchief said:

Playstation won more then half the best graphic awards last gen as well

PC had the best graphics last gen. It ended the gen with the top 2 wins (Death Stranding and Control I believe) making it the literal graphics king for last gen. CP2077 is in a weird spot, not sure if it counts but it would give PC the top 3 for last gen. Apart from subjective awards, it had the objectively better looking version of most video games including H:ZD. Giving it nearly all of the top 100 best looking games except a few Sony timed exclusives peppered in (nearly all of which ended up on PC).

@silentchief said:

and had the very best games

PC had around 140 more high scoring games (8+9+10) than PS4 at GS. Not sure if you're new to SW, but that's probably our biggest gen win since the SW meta game started several gens ago.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#38 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6100 Posts

Are we in the generation with the XSX and PS5? Why are people brown pantsing themselves about 1 or 2 generations ago? Just askin?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zaryia
@brimmul777 said:

Are we in the generation with the XSX and PS5? Why are people brown pantsing themselves about 1 or 2 generations ago? Just askin?

As the winner of last gen, even I agree with this post. Who cares what system got second place last gen. Weird thread.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@Litchie said:

50 mill? Sounds pretty good to me. 🤷

Yeah, 50M doesn't sound like a failure.

Really low console sales are usually 30M or less. Plus this is something that's well known.

In contrast, the cows are calling the Xbox Series a failure for 17M vs 21M. Where as the Wii U and Dreamcast were literal failures.

I don't know. 17M sounds pretty good coming off the Xbox One, given the context of this thread.

Also, I'm not sure why the cows are celebrating. These console numbers will be used to prove how much better Playstation is doing as market leaders and to push through the sale of Activision.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Silentchief

@zaryia said:
@silentchief said:

How did PC whenwin hardware sales?

With the most gaming hardware revenue.

Global Games Market Will Grow 9.4% to $91.5Bn in 2015 | Newzoo

New Gaming Boom: Newzoo Ups Its 2017 Global Games Market Estimate to $116.0Bn Growing to $143.5Bn in 2020 | Newzoo

This thread is a fight for second place.

@silentchief said:

Playstation won more then half the best graphic awards last gen as well

PC had the best graphics last gen. It ended the gen with the top 2 wins (Death Stranding and Control I believe) making it the literal graphics king for last gen. CP2077 is in a weird spot, not sure if it counts but it would give PC the top 3 for last gen. Apart from subjective awards, it had the objectively better looking version of most video games including H:ZD. Giving it nearly all of the top 100 best looking games except a few Sony timed exclusives peppered in (nearly all of which ended up on PC).

@silentchief said:

and had the very best games

PC had around 140 more high scoring games (8+9+10) than PS4 at GS. Not sure if you're new to SW, but that's probably our biggest gen win since the SW meta game started several gens ago.

But PC doesn't win anything. If your going to do that you would need to compare all consoles. Nvidia and AMD don't share revenue.

Well the last winner is on consoles and it will be a console exclusive again this year. This will put the PS5 up two to 0. Death Stranding got a PS5 release as well on par with the PC version. Meanwhile the PS and Switch have more Goty winners then anyone meaning for the very best games you need a console.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zaryia
@silentchief said:

But PC doesn't win anything. If your going to do that you would need to compare all consoles.

Nope. PC is a single platform. Consoles have a few. PC had the highest software and hardware revenue.

This is a thread about who got second place.

@silentchief said:

Well the last winner is on consoles and it will be a console exclusive again this year.

Maybe, it's not surprising if so as consoles usually win the first year or two of a gen for quite a few gens now. I'm not worried, PC comes out on top by the end easily. It gets the final king title as well as the better looking version of almost all releases. Like last gen.

@silentchief said:

Meanwhile the

I'd rather have over 100 more high scoring games than a handful of games with awards that ended up on PC anyway.

I stand by my original statement,

PC won last gen in hardware sales, software sales, high scoring library count, graphics, performance, and online gaming.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaVillain  Moderator

@ahrequenomori: Why? What's it to you?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HalcyonScarlet
@davillain said:

@ahrequenomori: Why? What's it to you?

That reminds me, are you looking forward to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2?

I haven't played the first one, but I heard great things about it. :-)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator

@HalcyonScarlet: Ghost is hyping that game, I'm not hype but intrigued by what I have seen so far. I'm looking forward to it but since the game is being made in Ukraine, I'm more worried if the developers and their families are safe and if this gets another delay due to the war, I'm totally okay with that.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HalcyonScarlet
@davillain said:

Wait, Xbox One is still a thing?

But either way, Xbox One was a collusive failure and MS knows it. Oh well.

Wait, why a "collusive" failure?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HalcyonScarlet

@davillain said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Ghost is hyping that game, I'm not hype but intrigued by what I have seen so far. I'm looking forward to it but since the game is being made in Ukraine, I'm more worried if the developers and their families are safe and if this gets another delay due to the war, I'm totally okay with that.

Yeah, maybe they should put it on hold, and focus on their safety. I'd rather they are safe than we get another video game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator

@HalcyonScarlet: Mobile auto-correction error lol.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@davillain said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Mobile auto-correction error lol.

lol, might work with a reason. The definition says "involving secret or unlawful cooperation aimed at deceiving", so I thought perhaps a reference to MS not releasing numbers or something. :-P

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

@davillain: Just curious.