Devastating news. The PS5 can't handle Ray Tracing in The Medium. RDNA3 patch needs to hurry the f up.

• 76 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38980 Posts

Incredibly frustrating to see this. This is a launch window game that is missing features on the ps5 because its too much for it to handle. I don't know how much longer we need to wait for the RDNA3 patch to be released, but they need to hurry.

The PS5 resolution 1260p-2160p vs 900p-2160p on the Series X.
PS5 loading times are twice as long.
The PS5 has as much RT as the Series S... none at all.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I'm guessing it's more to do with a crap dev...but really dont care as it's a game I'll never play and have zero interest in.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

More surprised we still talks about this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

The way they went about developing their concept for the game doesn't seems to be efficient at all. Probably they brute force it on the XSeX and even then performance suffered.

But I do agree with op, once rDNA 3 unlocks the true power of the SSD the game will run 8k/120 with RT.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45173 Posts

😴

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46368 Posts

I think I'm gonna feel sick 🤢🤮

I want ray tracing at 8K with 120fps, as was promised.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3031 Posts

@getyeryayasout: my dude 🌱

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#9 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Are we pretending that there are not incredibly looking games running at 60fps with ray tracing already available on PS5?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12998 Posts

@PAL360: I haven’t seen any incredible looking ones.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
@vfighter said:

I'm guessing it's more to do with a crap dev...but really dont care as it's a game I'll never play and have zero interest in.

Well you should try it since it is not like there is many options for games on the Playstation.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VFighter

@CanYouDiglt: Ummm ok...let's pretend there are zero games for the Ps5...I'm still not picking up that turd.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PAL360

@x_hedon: R&C looks like a CGI movie, open world Spiderman, and even last gen updated games like DOOM Eternal, Metro, etc. All look fantastic, run at 60fps and use ray tracing.

Not sure which were your expectations, but if you don't think this is a great start, then be prepared for many years of disappointments.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CanYouDiglt
@vfighter said:

@CanYouDiglt: Ummm ok...let's pretend there are zero games for the Ps5...I'm still not picking up that turd.

I understand since Sony does not have a gamepass and forces its brainwashed fanbase to pay $70 per game so you have to pick and choose far more. See I was able to play the medium with gamepass and it was pretty good. See you're a sony fanboy so your game choices are smaller in number of games and also you have increased prices for the few games you do have available. I mean 3 months of gamepass with all the games they offer is still cheaper then one game for the PS5.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@CanYouDiglt: Ever heard of PlayStation Now?

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CanYouDiglt
@ButDuuude said:

@CanYouDiglt: Ever heard of PlayStation Now?

lol aww that's cute

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

People buy PS5 to play High, not Medium.

The post of the year

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17436 Posts

I mean The Medium was already a demanding game on PC since it's literally rendering the game twice.

PS5 only has 36 CUs for RT and rasterization. I think they made the right move by cutting it.

If it was a straightforward rendered game like Ratchet I'm sure it would have some form of RT.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8477 Posts

Incoming bad port excuse!

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PAL360

@pc_rocks: But isn't it?

Since there are many better looking/performing games on the console, i can only see two options: It's a indeed a bad port, or it's not and the devs of all other games are wizards 🤔

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69595 Posts

Where are the folks who blamed the Series X for the poor performance?🤭

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Lol at fanboys just cherry picking crap, sure ps5 is terrible

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11613 Posts

Clearly the devs didn't enable the SSD's crossfire features.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44578 Posts

Remember this is Blooper Team, and if you are familiar with their games, they're not the most technically accomplished. But they have made some great games. The XSX finally got an update to the Observer: System Redux which added RT and variable resolution for better performance and it's a real looker.

Anyhow, I liked this game for its story and hopefully they make a sequel and can further develop the story they made. It was a letdown on gameplay because it is mostly a puzzle game with some some sneaking or running areas. I imagine they'll fix the RT issue on PS5, strange it is absent since Observer: System Redux had RT at launch on PS5. Since they aren't at least publicly engaged on a known project I think it's safe to assume they'll have it patched quickly. The Observer SR patch on Series S|X took a while because they had to crunch for The Medium (I am assuming) and it was released after that released.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Damn ps gamers won't get the full 9 out of 10 experience,and they are paying full price,while Xbox series gamers got it day one on gamepass.

Nevermind,ps has sold more consoles and that's all that matters

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter

@simple-facts: So the clunky mess that the X got was the full experience... 😂 Bluestars your fails never cease to amaze me.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PC_Rocks

@PAL360 said:

@pc_rocks: But isn't it?

Since there are many better looking/performing games on the console, i can only see two options: It's a indeed a bad port, or it's not and the devs of all other games are wizards 🤔

Such as? DS didn't have RT, Returnal ran at 1080p. Are those games also bad ports? Not all RT is created equal and consoles have been using welfare RT even when they can. Could very well be the case they are bound by bandwidth due to multiple view ports and the game is running at higher resolution than XSX. Don't really see a particular bad port excuse for PS5.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11107 Posts

LOL! It runs the game in an overall higher resolution with higher anisotropic filtering than Xbox, so I guess the reason why is the lack of RT. Compromises galore for this shitty game. 🤣

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PAL360

@pc_rocks: Such as Spiderman, Ratchet and some last gen games that were updated with the feature and still look impressive. I'm not saying that these consoles have unlimited power lol, but saying that PS5 'can't handle ray tracing' when there are many examples proving otherwise is just blind hate!

By bad port i meant badly optimized game, anyway. Isn't it also one of the very few 9th gen games released so far that run at 30fps?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8858 Posts

@hardwenzen: As this gen progresses, you will see the XSX pull ahead of PS5 in terms of graphics.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VFighter

@dabear: Doubtful.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8858 Posts

@vfighter: You don't know what you're talking about.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen

@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: As this gen progresses, you will see the XSX pull ahead of PS5 in terms of graphics.

Which is the most frustrating thing that could happen.

TumorStation5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35 TumorStation5
Member since 2021 • 293 Posts

Ponies told me this game was going to be better on ps5 because longer development time

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Just thought I'd point out that The Medium runs really badly on very high end PC hardware. Much messing around with settings is required to get the thing to run at 60fps and even Digital Foundry recommend running it at 30fps on high end PC's I kid you not.

5600x and 3080 was not enough to get this thing running at 4K 60fps even with DLSS. The most amazing thing really is the game doesn't look anywhere near that good that it should be causing all these problems. These devs are just shit at getting their games to run well.

I haven't played it on PS5 or Series X but I can imagine all kinds of downscaling and technical cutbacks were involved to even make the thing run on these consoles. And by the way raytracing is not something you'll miss hugely in the game in fact I would take the higher res over RT in this game every day of the week.

Neither the PS5 or Series X should be taxed by this game considering what it does visually and technically but it turns a high end PC into an entry level budget nightmare so I suppose on console at least they have done all the hard work for you and scaled it down massively so it's playable whereas I messed around with it so much trying to get a smooth experience that looked okay that in the end I just dropped it completely.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PC_Rocks

@PAL360 said:

@pc_rocks: Such as Spiderman, Ratchet and some last gen games that were updated with the feature and still look impressive. I'm not saying that these consoles have unlimited power lol, but saying that PS5 'can't handle ray tracing' when there are many examples proving otherwise is just blind hate!

By bad port i meant badly optimized game, anyway. Isn't it also one of the very few 9th gen games released so far that run at 30fps?

That wasn't the point. I was saying that there's no reason to doubt that this is deliberately a bad port for PS5 because that's cow's go to excuse for anything that doesn't paint PS5 in a positive light. The game performs similarly bad at XSX and PC, relatively speaking. And by keeping all the constraints equal XSX have advantages over PS5 which the SSD or high clocks won't overcome which Cerny touted.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PAL360

@pc_rocks: Well, that's probably how a cow would react, but you should know it's not the case here. I'm pro gaming, couldn't care less for your factions.

Above i corrected from 'bad port' to 'badly optimized game', which applies to all versions. This thread claims that 'PS5 can't handle ray tracing in this game', which i find hard to believe, just like i'm sure both PS5 and Series X could run it at 60fps with better optimization.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen

@PAL360 said:

@pc_rocks: Well, that's probably how a cow would react, but you should know it's not the case here. I'm pro gaming, couldn't care less for 'factions'.

Above i corrected from 'bad port' to 'badly optimized game'. This thread claims that 'PS5 can't handle ray tracing in this game', which i find hard to believe, just like i'm sure both PS5 and Series X could run it at 60fps with better optimization.

No chance.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4374 Posts

so super basic G.I. with upscaling tech to help out low end asset.(i.e. not hd asset) to run normal rate.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PAL360

@hardwenzen: Do you honestly believe that this is the most demanding game on 9th gen platforms? Because when it comes to performance, it's the exception, not the rule. I perfectly understand a ridiculously complex game like Flight Simulator or Star Citizen running at 30fps, but certainly not The Medium.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PC_Rocks

@PAL360 said:

@pc_rocks: Well, that's probably how a cow would react, but you should know it's not the case here. I'm pro gaming, couldn't care less for your factions.

Above i corrected from 'bad port' to 'badly optimized game', which applies to all versions. This thread claims that 'PS5 can't handle ray tracing in this game', which i find hard to believe, just like i'm sure both PS5 and Series X could run it at 60fps with better optimization.

My comment wasn't directed at you to begin with. It was at the cows. As for how it would perform with optimization on both platforms, I have no idea. Haven't played or even seen the game apart from the early trailers because it didn't appeal to me. I just went on with the information shared in the OP.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen

@PAL360 said:

@hardwenzen: Do you honestly believe that this is the most demanding game on 9th gen platforms? Because when it comes to performance, it's the exception, not the rule. I perfectly understand a ridiculously complex game like Flight Simulator or Star Citizen running at 30fps, but certainly not The Medium.

The most? I don't know. But certainly in the top three. Rendering two screens PLUS reflections, is demanding. And i am not saying that better optimization couldn't have been done, especially on a better engine such as UE5, but 60fps better? No way in hell.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@hardwenzen: " I don't know how much longer we need to wait for the RDNA3 patch to be released, but they need to hurry."

What patch?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hardwenzen

@PSP107 said:

@hardwenzen: " I don't know how much longer we need to wait for the RDNA3 patch to be released, but they need to hurry."

What patch?

Sony has been hard at work on an RDNA3 patch ever since they fund out that the Series X specs are more powerful. Its been almost a year, and its still not released. Kinda worried, but i do trust Sony.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: On Xbox it's a shitty game, but on PS it suits the movie experience the console offers.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@CanYouDiglt: PlayStation Now came first and has a lot more games. Game Pass is Microsoft's answer to Sony's PlayStation Now, not the other way around.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56155 Posts
@ButDuuude said:

@CanYouDiglt: PlayStation Now came first and has a lot more games. Game Pass is Microsoft's answer to Sony's PlayStation Now, not the other way around.

This is correct. PS Now was the first before Game Pass and the same goes to PS+ was the first to introduce free games (rental whichever you prefer) before MS decided to include free games with Gold. In ways, MS tends to be far behind...until they finally catch up to supporting PC and slowly taking over software.

In other words, both Sony/MS are showing good competition👌🤘

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

This RDNA 3 joke isn’t even funny. It makes no sense. How could PlayStation patch in a AMD architecture that doesn’t even exist? Only console kids could find this funny.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hardwenzen

@goldenelementxl said:

This RDNA 3 joke isn’t even funny. It makes no sense. How could PlayStation patch in a AMD architecture that doesn’t even exist? Only console kids could find this funny.

LOL its funny BECAUSE it makes not sense. That's the whole point, people are so stupid that they believed this could be done, and i think Tormy was one of them.