Did crytek beat naughty dog on last gen consoles?

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 517 Posts

(digital foundry) 2013

"For the most part Crytek has weaved its technical wizardry exceptionally well across all three platforms"

The fact that Crysis 3 runs on console at all is a remarkable achievement, with Crytek deploying a wide range of advanced rendering techniques"

Where Crysis 3 really shines is on the PC, in which we are presented with a huge leap in graphical quality that gives us a tantalising glimpse of visual accomplishment on next-gen hardware "

Crysis 3 on PC effectively offers a "next-gen now" experience - a preview of the level of technical prowess we should expect in the years to come from the new wave of consoles".

Crysis first released on PC. In 2007, it pushed real time rendering to new heights and spawned the memetic phrase, "but can it run Crysis?". Never had a game released that pushed hardware and engine technology so much, and never has one since."

crysis 3 xbox 360 (real time)

uncharted 3 / last of us - (Pre rendered cutscenes)

-

?

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Crytek beat ND in technical and graphical aspects, but not on gameplay, story, emotion, you know, things that matter most in a video game.

Anyway, is this a response thread?

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JasonOfA36

@fantasygamer: But I never said ND beat Crytek on the graphics department. Even now, I don't think ND has.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Crytek ---> very nice looking shit games

ND ----> nice looking GREAT games

I´d rather have great not so good looking games any day.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@fantasygamer:

On consoles, Naughty Dog beat Crytek. On pc, Crytek beat Naughty Dog. But then Naughty Dog never made pc games but there you go.

Uncharted 3 and Last of Us looks and performs better on PS3 than Crysis 3 on PS3/360. But I can't say the same for pc version for obvious reasons.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22833 Posts

@jasonofa36: story and emotion are not anywhere near as important as gameplay and it is highly debatable that naughty dog did better with uncharted gameplay than crytek did with crisis.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9876 Posts

Perhaps technically. But it's hard to compare FP and TP as the latter neeed to animate a character in front of the camera at all times and at the same time has thecamera pulled back a bit. I think aesthetically ND wins. Crytek should never have done the Alien thing. Should have kept it a super soldier guerilla simulator like the first half of Crysis 1.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

You dont wanna know what ND could have done with PCs RAW power !! I dont even want to think about it !

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

I've made a thread a while ago, stating that Crysis 3, on the lowest settings, beats current gen console games.

In that entire thread, two things happened:
1. No rebuttals
2. Me being right.

Feels good.

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 517 Posts

@killered3:

@killered3 said:

@fantasygamer:

On consoles, Naughty Dog beat Crytek. On pc, Crytek beat Naughty Dog. But then Naughty Dog never made pc games but there you go.

Uncharted 3 and Last of Us looks and performs better on PS3 than Crysis 3 on PS3/360. But I can't say the same for pc version for obvious reasons.

how so? un3 and Last of Us use pre rendered cutscenes while crysis 3 use real time cutscenes with better graphics, texture, etc. what you think is more impressive?

x360 version

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

It's ridiculous how much that scientist from Crysis 3 looks like my doctor. I should really show that to him.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

no because Crytek doesnt know how to make good games.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#14 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Graphically yes. Unfortunately Crytek died in gameplay department after Crysis Warhead. Crysis was amazeballs in gameplay.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@fantasygamer:

We shouldn't be judging on cutscene alone. These are games, not movies. And in gameplay, UC3 and Last of Us had better animation, better in game models and above all, better gameplay. The cutscenes were pre rendered but in gameplay everything looked just as heavily detailed and UC3 and Last of Us were damn good looking games for their time.

The only thing I can't speak for is against pc version of Crysis which is the biggest exception.

Cassar31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cassar31
Member since 2015 • 101 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@jasonofa36: story and emotion are not anywhere near as important as gameplay and it is highly debatable that naughty dog did better with uncharted gameplay than crytek did with crisis.

This is correct. I mean, only considering Crysis 3 here, cause Far Cry 1 and Crysis/Warhead are some of the best games ever made, that mutilate the entire Naughty Dog catalog. They done better than NG in all respects, even if you only take into accout Crysis 3. NG are just movie games, with outstandingly poor construction and barelly any gameplay, that consists from walking, watching hours of cutscenes, auto-climbing sections and ridiculous shooting galeries. This encapsulates Naughty Dogs gaming output. Uncharted and LAst of Us are some of the worst games on the market, from an actual design and gameplay point of view. Fans of said games are artificially inflating them because they are only on Playstation, so there's half the battle won. And second, a lot of gamers think that if they like the story and the game has many cutscenes that surelly means its a good game. A masterpiece

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#18 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

A lot of devs beat ND, lol.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@fantasygamer: I always thought the crysis 2 and 3 graphics even on console were tough to beat.

But that pic of Joel and Ellie looks great too.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cainetao11

@jasonofa36: Ok I agree on story. But emotion? It's cool to care about a character but that happens more from the actors believable performance than the devs Imo. And gameplay? I love Uncharted but the gameplay isn't like untouchable. Crysis 2 wasn't as good a total game but there were some firefights that were plain more white knuckle than uncharted imo

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Nope nobody beats ND..lol

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

No. Crytek had nothing else but shiny visuals while ND paid attention to detail (animations etc) and visuals.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JasonOfA36

@cainetao11: Eh, I get it, most of it is subjective, especially story, gameplay and, yes, emotion. But the thing is, critics and most gamers liked ND's game compared to Crytek's ones. However, as @TheEroica pointed, it's highly debatable on their first games. Honestly, the casualization of the the title was bad for the franchise.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cainetao11

@jasonofa36: No doubt. Crysis 3 fell from 2 which had dropped from one on PC. I love uncharted but it's gameplay elements have been done better in other games Imo. It's the sum of good parts that elevates the whole game Imo. I only care about one critics' reception and that's cainetaocritic. Except in the instance of trolling and firing up fanboys that is lol

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@AzatiS said:

You dont wanna know what ND could have done with PCs RAW power !! I dont even want to think about it !

They couldn't have done shit. Crytek and a number of PC devs are way ahead of them. Get over it.

@Topic, of course they did. Their games were technically far superiors to all the onrails linear shit Naughty Duds put out. I distinctly remember Naughty Duds bragging about teh powah of teh cell as unlimited and onlu PS3 was able to produce such graphics but STFU when Crysis 2 released and DF asked about they same question to Crytek's lead engineer.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RekonMeister
Member since 2016 • 784 Posts

Crysis 3 is a terrible representation of a game, it's all graphics and no content, ND won it by a land slide.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Uncharted 720p.

The last of US 720p.

Crysis 3 sub 720p..lol

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zeeshanhaider

@killered3 said:

@fantasygamer:

We shouldn't be judging on cutscene alone. These are games, not movies. And in gameplay, UC3 and Last of Us had better animation, better in game models and above all, better gameplay. The cutscenes were pre rendered but in gameplay everything looked just as heavily detailed and UC3 and Last of Us were damn good looking games for their time.

The only thing I can't speak for is against pc version of Crysis which is the biggest exception.

This entire post is so lol worthy.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RekonMeister
Member since 2016 • 784 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:
@killered3 said:

@fantasygamer:

Is it? besides graphics, Crysis 3 is a dull and bland military shooter in a time where shooters are like the soap opera, tired and done.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Nothing Crytek has touches UC4. Not to mention although there games looked good on last gen consoles they had dips into the low teens. ND is one of the best devs and Crycrap is practically bankrupt.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nepu7supastar7

@zeeshanhaider:

Puh-leeease... Either way, you know I'm right. And it's not entirely Crytek's fault that console versions were so garbage. It's the 360's. No way a 3rd party game like that could compete.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 zeeshanhaider

@rekonmeister said:
@zeeshanhaider said:
@killered3 said:

@fantasygamer:

Is it? besides graphics, Crysis 3 is a dull and bland military shooter in a time where shooters are like the soap opera, tired and done.

Not defending Crysis 3 gameplay in anyway. I hated the series after Warhead but its comical to hear him say UC/TLOU a game. And it sounds even more funny that a cow is now dismissing cutscenes when they are the ones that always posts phtomode cutscene bullshots. Crysis 2/3 were superior to Sony exclusives even on consoles - FACT.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zeeshanhaider

@killered3 said:

@zeeshanhaider:

Puh-leeease... Either way, you know I'm right. And it's not entirely Crytek's fault that console versions were so garbage. It's the 360's. No way a 3rd party game like that could compete.

It competed and it far surpassed anything Naughty Duds can do. As a matter of fact what Crytek achieved with Crysis 2/3 on last gen consoles Naughty Duds couldn't even replicate 100% even on the 900pStation with their baked lighting in UC4.

Crysis 2/3 were all realtime, nothing was baked or scripted unlike the case with Sony exclusives not were they linear onrails movie in closed environment. The map sizes were huge. Oh and did I mention that it was Crytek that pioneered all this tech Sony First Party brags about finally having in their 900pStation exclusives, with Crysis 2/3?

Always, remain butthurt that their was no secret powah of teh cell or Sony First Party was never technically ahead that most of the multiplat devs - a myth cows made last gen.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 zeeshanhaider

@AM-Gamer said:

Nothing Crytek has touches UC4. Not to mention although there games looked good on last gen consoles they had dips into the low teens. ND is one of the best devs and Crycrap is practically bankrupt.

Yet Naughty Duds copy tech pioneered by Crytek and even fails at that. lol Naughty Duds with their 2D trees, baked lighting/shadows and baked GI.

Tsk tsk tsk, couldn't matched Crysis 2 technically and made a 900p turd, lol Naughty Duds.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nepu7supastar7

@zeeshanhaider:

Like I said, no way a watered down 3rd party could compete with Uncharted 3 and Last of Us. And none of that is on fault with Crytek. Consoles just couldn't keep up with pc. Still can't! It's like comparing a ps3 port of a game on ps vita with a Vita exclusive.

The Vita port is only a suited down version but it's going to lack the same level of flare that the console version did. While the exclusive was specifically made from the ground up to fit the Vita's specs. That's why the exclusive looks and performs better than the ported game. See what I mean now? Watered down game vs exclusive. It's delusional to not pick the exclusive.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zeeshanhaider

@killered3 said:

@zeeshanhaider:

Like I said, no way a watered down 3rd party could compete with Uncharted 3 and Last of Us. And none of that is on fault with Crytek. Consoles just couldn't keep up with pc. Still can't! It's like comparing a ps3 port of a game on ps vita with a Vita exclusive.

The Vita port is only a suited down version but it's going to lack the same level of flare that the console version did. While the exclusive was specifically made from the ground up to fit the Vita's specs. That's why the exclusive looks and performs better than the ported game. See what I mean now? Watered down game vs exclusive. It's delusional to not pick the exclusive.

Yeah, but it was still technically better than your precious exclusive, just because it was 3rd party. Like I said there was no advantage of Sony exclusives or Sony First Party had some secret programming knowledge. It was the myth made up by cows t cover the colossal failure of teh $600 cell.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AM-Gamer

@zeeshanhaider: They have the best looking game out now. Shitek managed to release a game that dipped to 15 fps and had to sell there ips they were developing because nobody bought them. Comparing a studio that's on its last legs to ND is laughable.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zeeshanhaider

@AM-Gamer said:

@zeeshanhaider: They have the best looking game out now. Shitek managed to release a game that dipped to 15 fps and had to sell there ips they were developing because nobody bought them. Comparing a studio that's on its last legs to ND is laughable.

Still they are technologically far ahead of them. I mean their tech is used by hollywood for motion pictures, what did Naughty Duds have? 2D trees at 900p in 2016, laughable. Beside Cryengine alone worth more than entirety of Naughty Duds. top kek.

Oh and lol Nayghty Duds still failed to achieve what Crytek did with Crysis 2 in 2011 and haven't made a single contribution to realtime rendering or gameplay in over 30+ years.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59185 Posts

Regardless, like Macbeth killing Duncan they got what they deserved jumping aboard the console train, all the DX13 patches in the world won't stop Crysis 2/3 or Ryse being ass.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AM-Gamer

@zeeshanhaider: You have done nothing but babble pure nonsense. Nobody in there right mind thinks Crysis 2 looks better then UC4. Do you expect anyone to take you seriously with that nonsense? 2D trees at 900p? WTF are you talking about?

And no they are not worth more then ND. Matter of fact they were on the verge of shutting down. You just randomly make shit up it's embarrassing.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@AM-Gamer said:

This thread was about last gen, were Crytek trounced ND at every turn. Crysis 3 and Ryse on PC certainly touche UC4, but they do fall short by a bit. However their latest game, Climb, absolutely demolishes UC4. Please stop being a fanboy.

@AM-Gamer said:

@zeeshanhaider: They have the best looking game out now.

Again, please stop with the lies. The latest Witcher 3 and also Battlefront on PC look better than UC4 during gameplay, with higher fps and scope. Even Digital Foundry said UC4 is only the best looking game on only consoles, multiple times. This is a dead issue, stop digging the hole deeper.

I mean, just take a look: You can't honestly be serious.....right?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AM-Gamer

@zaryia: UC4 simply looks better and your cherry picked shots that you use over and over again don't matter. And the Climb? LMAO. The fucking walking simulator? Really? Seriously Jankarop go make another alt.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Crysis story was boring... Naughty Dog games are epic....

Naughty Dog wins.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59185 Posts

@Telekill said:

Naughty Dog wins.

The flip side being Crysis had epic gameplay, while Uncharted had boring.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Zaryia

@AM-Gamer: Aww, petty excuses. A game is a game. We count Sony qte movie games here all the time for graphics and scores, it's only fair right? Show me a sticky-rule that says I can't use it and I'll gladly never mention Climb again. Till then, pucker up kiddo. Way too many games top UC4 considering W3, BF, Climb and BF1 on top of upcomming Scorpion PC releases. And at double the frames with more than just short set peices.

@Telekill said:

Naughty Dog wins.

Crysis 1 gameplay was superior though. Gameplay>Trying to be a movie.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Depends on what you like. I felt Crysis was a mediocre shooter in a sea of mediocre shooters. The only thing it had going for it was gorgeous graphics IF you had a system capable of running it.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AM-Gamer

@zaryia: That's nothing more then your opinion with absolutely nothing to back it up. And we do however use games that are released which you can't seem to do. UC4 also barely has any QTEs so it just shows more so you never played the game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44631 Posts

I didn't play Crysis 3 yet but I played a lot of Crysis 2 and I'd easily say it was more enjoyable than any of the three Uncharted games I played on the PS3. At the time I thought it was quite an accomplishment what they achieved graphically on consoles.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zaryia

@AM-Gamer And laughably calling UC4 the current graphics king even though PC exists is nothing more than your joke of an opinion, with absolutely nothing to back it up. My back up is practically any in game UC4 shot (no cutscene or photomode). W3:BW maxed and Battlefront maxed have double the fps, much larger scope, and overall look superior. Even DF has my back, they say UC4 is the best graphics ONLY on conosles- countless times they state this.

So keep spouting that lone opinion, until Gpuking/m3dude is unbanned for whatever stupidity he did this time. Then you'll have two people in the world.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@zaryia said:

@AM-Gamer And laughably calling UC4 the current graphics king even though PC exists is nothing more than your joke of an opinion, with absolutely nothing to back it up. My back up is practically any in game UC4 shot (no cutscene or photomode). W3:BW maxed and Battlefront maxed have double the fps, much larger scope, and overall look superior. Even DF has my back, they say UC4 is the best graphics ONLY on conosles- countless times they state this.

So keep spouting that lone opinion, until Gpuking/m3dude is unbanned for whatever stupidity he did this time. Then you'll have two people in the world.

pretty sure GPUking got banned for that last graphic thread he did.