Do you see yourself gaming your entire life?

• 101 results
Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@zaryia said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@zaryia said:
@shadyacshuns said:

Who the hell would wanna play video games if they could afford a luxury yacht and super models?

This is some 12 year old thinking. You can't bang supermodels and drive a yacht 24/7, even those people have free time to play video games.

The case would be made if you're that rich you probably don't have a 9-5 job, making video gaming even more easy to fit in while you do that "rich person stuff".

I meant dedicated gaming. Sure, I could play God of War on the way to Italy, but I wouldn't spend any real amounts of time gaming if I could do whatever I wanted.

That's very subjective. I know many wealthy people IRL and Online who play video games more than just casually (but not hardcore). Somewhere in the middle. I've already made this point, but thing is when you're that rich and don't have a 9-5 there is literally only so much partying, traveling, blow, and hooker banging you can do in a week. You're probably going to fall into some kind of "normy" hobby.

Now you're the one thinking at the twelve year old level, if you think all there is to do with money is partying. You could change your community, change the world, for starters.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@shadyacshuns said:
@zaryia said:
@shadyacshuns said:
@zaryia said:

This is some 12 year old thinking. You can't bang supermodels and drive a yacht 24/7, even those people have free time to play video games.

The case would be made if you're that rich you probably don't have a 9-5 job, making video gaming even more easy to fit in while you do that "rich person stuff".

I meant dedicated gaming. Sure, I could play God of War on the way to Italy, but I wouldn't spend any real amounts of time gaming if I could do whatever I wanted.

That's very subjective. I know many wealthy people IRL and Online who play video games more than just casually (but not hardcore). Somewhere in the middle. I've already made this point, but thing is when you're that rich and don't have a 9-5 there is literally only so much partying, traveling, blow, and hooker banging you can do in a week. You're probably going to fall into some kind of "normy" hobby.

Now you're the one thinking at the twelve year old level, if you think all there is to do with money is partying. You could change your community, change the world, for starters.

That was just an example. Yes you could be an entrepreneur and help your community, but again you're not doing that 24/7. These people still have normy hobbies. And for some of them that's video gaming, or D&D, or watching tons of movies, or rock climbing, or biking, or skiing , etc.

There is nothing particular about video games themselves that would exclude the wealthy. Like I said I know many ultra rich people who play video games. Or many other hobbies.

In fact of those wealthy I know they play more video games than the poor people I know since they have the time and money for it. Heck you have an entire class of wealthy people (video game developer leads/heads, e-sports starts, twitch stars) who play tons of them. I've also seen several rich athletes/actors love video games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

Oh yeah. I don't plan on having children, and anyone I end up with is either going to have to accept this about me or, preferably, be a gamer themselves.

I have no reason to stop playing games.

Every once in a while I think I've "outgrown" gaming, but my tastes have just changed is all.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

I have a powerful gaming PC, yet my interest in games has waned a bit, until I actually start getting into it again. Been playing Nier Automata: Become as Gods Edition on my Xbox Series X, great game so far.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44628 Posts

I'd like to see myself among a clan of retirees in our senior living centers waging a war to end all wars online against the young, engaging in trash talking and owning these little shits and teabagging them and making them cry. I mean, if that is still a thing...

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-622fe92f3678e
deactivated-622fe92f3678e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 deactivated-622fe92f3678e
Member since 2021 • 1836 Posts

Yes. Ill never stop

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

In some capacity, yeah probably. At the very least, occasionally dabble in some classics or check out the newest entry of some series I'm into. Been a life long hobby, don't think I'd completely put it away.

Realistically, had already moved on from gaming for a couple of years before covid hit. 2020s crazy fuckery is the only reason I dove back in. On the bright side, saved a shit ton more $$$ than usual by getting back into gaming. But yeah, with some things getting back to "normal", ready to get back to my old routine, get more enjoyment out of life.

Anyways, things rarely go as you expect. Just ideally, like to imagine that gaming will continue to make up some small part of my life. Maybe hang out in a VR retirement home with Cup, throw Wiimotes at nurses.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11192 Posts

Sure. At least until my hands stop working. I'm certainly not going to be doing a LOT of gaming anymore though

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

I don't game as much as I once did, but I don't think i'll outright stop. Kinda depends.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22391 Posts

I see myself always gaming, in some form. I'm definitely not playing anywhere near as much as I used to nowadays, and the list of the types of games that I enjoy has definitely gotten shorter (ie. games that respect my time and are gameplay-driven).

But I'd be very surprised if I don't have some sort of gaming device in future years.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#61 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I'll probably never stop even though I don't enjoy it much anymore it's more of something to kill time by.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16577 Posts

Sure, I read a story of a couple in their 80s who were still gaming.

It's your life, choose what you want to do, if you're having fun then why not keep gaming? At the end of the day we all still end up in the same place no matter who you are. Well bezos might discover the secret to immortality though haha

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

Of course. I can see myself gaming forever. Obviously I will end up gaming less as I get older. No way in heaven am I able to play tons of games after work, I am tired by then.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'll be gaming till the end

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

There were several times I had to stop gaming because of the responsibilities of adulthood. That said, I get the feeling my most hardcore gamer days will be my retirement.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#66  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Yeah, probably. But I see myself playing less in the future. While games become more and more popular, they also become more and more alike. I'm already feeling with most new games that I've played them before. That feeling will probably enhance as opposed to diminish as games continue trying to appeal to everyone instead of being really good at a specific thing. It's the same with music and movies for me. Not so sound like every older person ever, but.. things were better in the past.

Short answer: Yes, but not as much.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

I don't game as much as when I was a kid, but I still very much enjoy it and I imagine that will continue.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9581 Posts

I'll play to the very end. Haters can hate.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

I’ll stop gaming the same day I stop watching film, or reading books, or listening to music, or viewing art. Which is to say never. I’m not denying myself the enjoyment of creative expression.

If I do, what the hell is the point of living?

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

I have already cut down my gaming time significantly as I'm focused on my career. I used to buy a ridiculous amount of games every week and just burn myself out.

I will still enjoy Sony exclusives such as God of War, however for online gaming I have completely stopped as I see them as a chor rather than having fun.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#71 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

No, I don't see myself doing it much longer because it's getting to be a pretty expensive hobby. I typically buy my games used. I will only buy a new one if I know that it's going to be outstanding.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#72  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I'm 41 (started gaming in 88) and like this industry more than ever. I particularly love the diversity we have these days...from indies bringing 2d gaming back, to VR, AAAs that look like pixar movies, and i'm finally learning how to make my own games. No reason to stop for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

That's a weird question I never get why people ask. Never in my life anyone asked me if I was ever going to stop reading books, listening to music or watching movies. Why on earth would I stop playing games?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#74 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I’ll stop gaming the same day I stop watching film, or reading books, or listening to music, or viewing art. Which is to say never. I’m not denying myself the enjoyment of creative expression.

There is no point to living. You make the point.

To some it seems to be to have a job, kids, a house and a car.

To me, it's about caring for others and your own well being. Games is very included for my own well being.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

@Litchie said:
@MirkoS77 said:

There is no point to living. You make the point.

Sure, I assumed that to be taken as a subjective statement, not objective.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Having 3 kids makes gaming kinda tough. That and Ive been spending my time working out while they’re sleeping at night. I bet I’ll play more in my 50’s and 60’s as the kids leave the nest. But there’s very little time for gaming right now.

Maybe I won’t see PlayStations movie games as such a waste of time in 18ish years.

You described my life to a T lol

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#77 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I ran into tough times over the pandemic. I lost my job, apartment, and haven’t been gaming in almost a year. And I’m alright with it. Going on 50 I see that gaming isn’t my priority as it was just a few years ago.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#78 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Most likely will continue gaming until my last days.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

I don't think i'll ever be not bored enough to not pick up my systems for awhile... it's a wonder that i find time to stay up to date

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

Responsibility definitely curbs my gaming time but I’ll continue to game “when I can” until I physically/mentally cannot anymore.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

games will go all digital and subscription services for games will be normal and game quality will go down, now if this happens i will stop gaming

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

I will die of a heart attack with a controller in my hand, yelling at some douche for no scoping me. Gaming has been one of my top 2 hobbies since the early 80s.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#83 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I will play forever. However, time is a commodity these days. Between long hours at work, marriage, and a kid, there just isn't enough time in the day to play games on a regular basis. I typically play one game at a time, and it will take me months sometimes to complete it. I usually wait for discounts on most games, except Zelda or a mainline Mario, before buying - same thing for consoles. I've pretty much not played any of the most recent online multi-player games like Fortnite, PUBG, CoD, not even Smash Bros. I'm basically in games for single player experiences these days.

I find work is actually the biggest impediment to my gaming. My job takes a lot of brain power so I can't even just cruise through a day because of a long gaming session the night before.

Nonetheless, I still dream of a media/theatre room in my house to enjoy those games.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

I've been been playing since early '81, 82--first system was a ColecoVision, and there was a Popeye arcade machine at the corner store when I was 4 or 5; been gaming ever since. My 8 to 10 hour marathon session days are long gone, but I manage to play a little bit every other day, even if it's only on the bus to and from work some days.

As long as I'm able to hold a controller, I'll still play.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Probably not, no. I game much less than I used to and find myself at times forcing myself to finish games.

I am in the same boat. I haven't touched my PS5 or X1X in a while. I still haven't finished RE8 and I actually like the game. I even stopped playing WoW and I race much less than I did in the past. Not sure if it's age or just life in general but I'm lacking the motivation.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39388 Posts

Oh my gawd the amount of "i barely play nowdays" is insane on this thread lmao. What is going on?!

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#87 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Yes. It's one of my main hobbies and stimulation in life, even if I no longer game like I did back in my teens. I'm sitting on a major backlog of games that I plan on completing whenever I get the time. I will continue gaming til I physically can't go on...

@hardwenzen said:

Oh my gawd the amount of "i barely play nowdays" is insane on this thread lmao. What is going on?!

Well...in my defense, work kinda make it hard for me to game like I want to. As a supervisor, I can pretty much get that phone call to go in at any given time, which happens often unfortunately,...

Then I also do my own car mechanical work which also eats up a great deal of time. Was getting tired of always getting shafted by auto repair shops, so I do my own preventative maintenance. Save a hell of a lot more money that way...

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@Juub1990: Well, I am definitely one of the oldest in here. But, I like to play video games on the weekends when I am not on my motorcycle, or have some prior commitment that my wife is making me do (LOL).

I'd say I still use my XSX about 8-10 hours a week when the weather is nice (above 45 and not raining), maybe 10-15 hours a week over the winter.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 kingtito

@cainetao11 said:

I ran into tough times over the pandemic. I lost my job, apartment, and haven’t been gaming in almost a year. And I’m alright with it. Going on 50 I see that gaming isn’t my priority as it was just a few years ago.

That sucks to hear. I hope things get better for you and you return to gaming if you so desire.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 kingtito
@hardwenzen said:

Life dude, sometimes priorities temporarily change.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 cainetao11

@kingtito: I’m on the comeback. Got a new job, soon a new place will happen. Then I’ll set up gaming again

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#92 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@kingtito: I’m on the comeback. Got a new job, soon a new place will happen. Then I’ll set up gaming again

Nice. Did you get a Series X or PS5?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 cainetao11

@Pedro: not yet. Just got hands on at a clients place with the PS5 today. I love the controller. Demons Souls looks great.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#94 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yeah, but I won't make it a priority.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Well...in my defense, work kinda make it hard for me to game like I want to. As a supervisor, I can pretty much get that phone call to go in at any given time, which happens often unfortunately,...

Then I also do my own car mechanical work which also eats up a great deal of time. Was getting tired of always getting shafted by auto repair shops, so I do my own preventative maintenance. Save a hell of a lot more money that way...

Pretty much this. Some of us have a life, we don't game that often nor come to Gamespot for that matter. Speaking for myself, I work only 3 days a week, and the best part, I basically have almost the week off and I'm so good at managing my gaming time, so I never get tired of playing games. Yes, I have kids, I spend a great time with them and still find time to play my games.

It all depends on what job/lifestyle you have, gaming is just my only fav hobby. (Still trying to turn my gaming life into a career meaning killing two birds with one stone)

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#96  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I've been gaming since the early 90's (I'm an late 80's baby). I can't see myself ever just saying "fck gaming". Sure, there has been plenty of changes throughout my life with responsibilities and game time is nowhere near what it was when we were teens. Prepandemic, I was partying, hitting bars, socializing, etc... However, my friends and I still play & talk about games damn near every day. I really don't think "Age" is a major factor of it. I think your interests have shifted, you're experiencing burn out, or perhaps you're just plain ol' bored of the "samey" games these days (especially AAA).🤔 Can't blame any of you if that's the case. The past 2 years have been kind of a drag worldwide for damn near everyone.

@Pedro said:

Most of the popular games are painfully generic and could be the cause of burn out. Look at the number of sequels? Look how at the games most requested? (sequels) If you only play the triple A games, burn out is almost guaranteed. With that said, I expect to be playing games for a very long time. I have made it my past time and profession.

Well said 👌

@hardwenzen said:

Yup, I understand the perspectives, but it is pretty damn depressing to read.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 kingtito

@cainetao11 said:

Awesome

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#98 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@Pedro: not yet. Just got hands on at a clients place with the PS5 today. I love the controller. Demons Souls looks great.

Very cool. My Dual Sense controller died. 😑

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I've been gaming since around 81 on a old school home computer with educational games, then on to a 2600 which really started my addiction. I've only twice taken time off from gaming, once for college and once when I injured my right thumb. Otherwise I've been gaming non stop since 81 and continue to do so until either my hands, eyes or something else gives out and I just can't do it anymore.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

I play more now than when I was younger. I actually have a game-cation starting this thursday! :)