Do you spend more time replaying old games, playing old games, or playing new games?

• 59 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you spend more time replaying old games, playing old games, or playing new games? (61 votes)

Replaying old games - some people just love replaying their favorite games! 26%
Playing old games - that backlog man.. 48%
Playing new games - be on the cutting edge! 26%

I spend most of my time playing new games. I'm in the middle of Persona 5 Strikers and I love it! And I look forward to upcoming games Returnal, Ratchet and Clank, Resident Evil 8, and much more! From my point of view, I want to play the stuff that comes out. That's not the say old games are bad of course. It's just a matter of time.

How about you, SW? Do you spend more time replaying old games, playing old games, or playing new games?

• 
Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

how old is an old game?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Playing old games. I rarely buy games at launch, have a hopeless backlog, and tend to wait for patches and mods.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

This year has pretty much been replaying older games. I still enjoy playing my Sega Game Gear and Genesis from time to time. On the Nintendo side I play older Switch games with the kids... most recently Smash and Luigi's Mansion3.

For Playstation, I'm replaying all the Uncharted games, a remake of the second Oddworld (Soulstorm) and looking forward to the Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

New games. I've found that most games I actually want to play I buy on or near release. I don't see the point in buying games I have no intention of playing to build up a backlog. It's not like they're going anywhere and they will inevitably get cheaper as time goes on.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45320 Posts

@gym_lion said:

how old is an old game?

I know it's subjective, so I'll leave it up to the person to decide! For me, I think once a game hits 1 year, it's encroaching the old mark.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45320 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

New games. I've found that most games I actually want to play I buy on or near release. I don't see the point in buying games I have no intention of playing to build up a backlog. It's not like they're going anywhere and they will inevitably get cheaper as time goes on.

That's a good philosophy. I would say in recent years I've become more like that. If I know I won't play right away, I try not to buy it. There are some games though that have a limited print so I have to otherwise I have to get the dreaded digital version!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Old games, new games, don't matter. I'm always playing great games via AwesomeSauce GamePass!!

It's just how we 1337 Players roll. lol :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Playing old games - that backlog man.

It's great - good games are good, even if they are a year (or 20) old, and they are cheaper to boot.

I almost never replay games. Too many new experiences to try to waste time with that. I do replay some deeply loved favorites, though (Thief, Sonic, Super Mario, that kind of thing) once in a blue moon

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@gym_lion said:

how old is an old game?

I know it's subjective, so I'll leave it up to the person to decide! For me, I think once a game hits 1 year, it's encroaching the old mark.

I always wait for a sale or for them to come to Game Pass so it's very rare I play a game in the first year, think the last game I bought at release was RE2 remake.

Unless it releases day one on Game Pas like Outriders did and I've pretty much only played Outriders since launch so at the moment it's a new game but after that I've got Control lined up and that's technically over a year old but it's the new ultimate edition so not sure where we stand on the old or new game on that one.

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

Used to play old games here and there. Then I got a PC and my backlog turned into a way of life.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#11 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6101 Posts

Mixed. I use GamePass mainly now but will still purchase games like Halo Infinite and Battlefield 6 day one.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Mostly old games, I play most new games when they are a few years old because I always have a backlog or I'm waiting for sale or I get back into an old game that puts newer games further into the backlog. Like RDR2 for instance which I only got around to playing earlier this year and The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners which I installed just today.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

I voted "new games", but since you say you'd consider a game that's one year old "old", I guess I should've voted "old games".

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

I'll just say that I'm a gamer, I been playing games since 1993, I play new, old, or replaying games I enjoy. There really is no way for me to say what I prefer, I love exploring new games and I always have time replaying old games as well. Right now, I'm replaying Doom 3 and Alan Wake and as well playing new games such as Cyberpunk 2077, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and more.

One of the best things about gaming PC is the fact you can play old, new, & replay your games in one grand system that is PC. I do it all and I'm good at managing my time/day to play games. I voted "Replaying old games - some people just love replaying their favorite games" as I wait new games to be release and as of now, I'm going through my game collection on the games I haven't play or replaying them until something new arrives. (I stop calling it a backlog and more of a game collection on Steam, GoG ect)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

@davillain- said:

I'll just say that I'm a gamer, I bene playing games since 1993, I play new, old, or replaying games I enjoy. There really is no way for me to say what I prefer, I love exploring new games and I always have time replaying old games as well. Right now, I'm replaying Doom 3 and Alan Wake and as well playing new games such as Cyberpunk 2077, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and more.

One of the best things about gaming PC is the fact you can play old, new, & replay your games in one grand system that is PC. I do it all and I'm good at managing my time/day to play games. I voted "Replaying old games - some people just love replaying their favorite games" as I wait new games to be release and as of now, I'm going through my game collection on the games I haven't play or replaying them until something new arrives. (I stop calling it a backlog and more of a game collection on Steam, GoG ect)

This. We just game. 😁

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

Older stuff. Like really older. Aside from Doom and Quake, I didn't get into gaming really until college (early 2000's) so I missed out

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1260 Posts

Replaying stuff I've already beaten takes up roughly 50% of my time. Lately it's been even higher. The rest is usually something 'old'.

I almost never buy new releases. Usually wait til they are at bargain bin prices. With gamepass I have been able to play more games at release then usual but still my time is dominated by older stuff.

Most AAA stuff is a pretty easy pass these days. I think Shadow Warrior 3 is the only game with a 2021 release that I'm interested in atm. I'm sure a few others will get on my radar eventually... I'd have a pretty lousy time if I focused solely on new games and would probably need to find a new hobby.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44355 Posts

Honestly I just bounce around playing whatever I feel like. For instance I was playing a ton of Monster Hunter Rise since it launched and now I’ve started playing a bunch of old arcade classics with Capcom Arcade Stadium. Some of those games I’ve played before, some I haven’t. Today I’ve started playing SaGa Frontier Remastered on the Switch which I played before but now it has enhanced graphics and extra content. Next month I’ll be playing Resident Evil Village and then after that it’ll be Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

A mix, just depends on what's releasing and what I'm in the mood for.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44355 Posts

Also is it considered “replaying old games” if you’re playing their online component or something like Monster Hunter World or Animal Crossing where you are just further progressing in the game.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17850 Posts

Well if we are using 1+ years is old as the criteria then its been pretty much all old games for the last couple of years. I think the only new game i bought in that time was Xenoblade DE.

But yeah: Horizon, MH:W, Baldurs gate, Ys 8, Doom...all old. Nothing is really tempting me to go and get a game day one at the moment. I think anything i plan to purchase at the moment can also be filed under old.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46487 Posts

1/3rd replaying games I loved

1/3rd playing old games

1/3rd playing new games

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46487 Posts
@vl4d_l3nin said:

Older stuff. Like really older. Aside from Doom and Quake, I didn't get into gaming really until college (early 2000's) so I missed out

The best thing: there is a lot of really great older stuff.

I only beat Prey 2006 recently, I just finished up Thief 2004... I'll be checking out Splinter Cell soon.

Now that it has become impossible to get new hardware, now is a perfect time to look back and play the game I missed out on.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Older games are so much better than most of the crap that gets put out now.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

LIttle bit of option 1 and mostly option 3.

I do enjoy playing older games, or games that have been out for a while, but at the same time I generally don't dwell on most older games once I've played them I see little reason to go back.

I do enjoy new games, but I don't feel compelled to play them simply because they are new.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1644 Posts

How old is 'old? I've been playing games going back to the mid 1980's these past couple of weeks and 'm loving the nostalgia.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

If its a jrpg I just buy. If its other genre I wait till sale.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

Old games. I've been playing Zelda BOTW almost every weekend as well as the Batman Telltale game Enemy within. I also started playing Duke Nukem Forever, which I thought was pretty good until I got to these dark cavern areas. Also been playing Pillars of Eternity and I have a huge backlog of other games I'd like to play

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#29 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'm all over the place.

Usually have a few Multiplayer go-to games I'll play somewhat regularly of variable age (Company of Heroes 2, Rocket League, Trackmania 2, Hell Let Loose, PUBG)

Then I'll typically have a SP game or two on the go as well. Whether those games are new or not depends on what is coming out. Right now I'm playing Disco Elysium The Final Cut and It Takes Two (ok, that is a co-op game) and a bit of PGA Tour 2K21 since the spring has me in a golfing mood.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

All of the above.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

Another thread backfired on OP. 😂

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Replaying old games because alot of them where better back in the day IMO also 2021 has been dry. I do play new games it's just that I replay old games more because there's nothing new that interest me right now it's far and few between.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

@Pedro said:

Another thread backfired on OP. 😂

What TC doesn't understand is that new games are taking too damn long to release and chances are, they're gonna get delay for who knows how long. So its either play old games or look through the backlog or don't play anything at all. Nothing wrong playing new games but its taking too damn long to get here.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro

@davillain- said:

What TC doesn't understand is that new games are taking too damn long to release and chances are, they're gonna get delay for who knows how long. So its either play old games or look through the backlog or don't play anything at all. Nothing wrong playing new games but its taking too damn long to get here.

I enjoy just playing games. Old and new. At the moment, there are so many games to play so I am not particularly gaming malnourish due to the lack of blockbuster new games.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#35 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

No next gen games so playing the backlog of games I have. Series X's SSD helps alot.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8271 Posts

is it an "old game" if you never played it before?..

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44628 Posts

I do from time to time. Sometimes I fire up older games and never complete them but sometimes I do and get sucked in again and put everything else on hold until I am done.

I last year I replayed entire MCC, replayed GTA V and RDR2 and was working on a 100% completion on both, replayed the Division 2 campaign with a friend, replayed Prey (2017) after its Series X update. Fired up Forza Horizon 3 again when it was being de-listed to acquire expansion content, really loved the Hot Wheels content. I played the first couple Dead Space games through BC but didn't finish third yet. Started a Mass Effect campaign but just figured I will hold off until new game. With Darktide coming out I have jumping back into Vermintide and Vermintide II. I also got back into Zombie Army 4 back last Halloween and rbeybhad new DLC available and again recently with the Series X update. And with that last one, installed Battlezone and Zombie Army Trilogybagain to replay out of an appreciation for Rebellion. I reluctantly grabbed Control Ultimate Edition for Series X uodate when on sale and been playing that. I already played Dandara but started another run when it went GwG because the news made me remember how awesome it was. When Series X released the first game I got was Observer System Redux, basically replaying a game I already did and I still love it. And Katamari Re-roll came out and I owned that for PS2 and Switch and wanted it for my Xbox. I also got the Call of Duty MW2 re-release and enjoyed that. I replayed the Witness again. I use to have Full Throttle on PC and replayed it when it went to Game Pass. I also got a gaming laptop and picked up one of the Close Combat games I use to olaybyears back, and Max Payne 3 because it feels criminal it never got put on Xbox BC with 4K60fps enhancement. I replayed the Mad Max game. Replayed a ton of the Sega classics in the Genesis Collection, also the Capcom Beat Em Uo Collection, recently bought the Conta collection on sale too, got Machinarium when it finally made it to Xbox and replayed that, I also went through a Metal Slug replay kick, replayed Titanfall 2 for the umpteenth time, and before Doom Eternal came out I replayed the first three games, and the N64 re-release (that was a first though)... shit, I got a lot done during Covid just on replaying older games, those are games I gave a thorough revisiting to, there was much more non-committal dabbling of previously played titles.

And yet I still manage to play new games too, people don't have to commit to just one thing you know.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@Antwan3K said:

Yes! It is new to you or the individual but old with regards to release date.

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

Depends on perspective. If you've never played it before, then sure, it's new.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

I usually play games I have never played whether it's considered a new or old game.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blamix
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts

All of the above for me

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

For the time being mostly playing old games and replaying favorites.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Antwan3K

@Pedro said:
@Antwan3K said:

Yes! It is new to you or the individual but old with regards to release date.

why would i care about the release date?.. if it's a fun and new experience for me, the individual, that's all that matters..

but, i totally understand what you're saying

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Antwan3K
@wandering_halls said:
@Antwan3K said:

Depends on perspective. If you've never played it before, then sure, it's new.

yep, agreed but i do understand that "old games are old"..

just illustrating that the most important thing is personal enjoyment.. 👍

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10500 Posts

i own a current gen console so its old games or no games

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I do have lulls between new releases. When that happens, I go to my back catalog or to games I never played.

For example, I finished some new games all back to back. Then was like, maybe it's time to play the Kingdom Hearts trilogy. So I played that straight through. Then I'm like, there are no new games I want to play. So I started working through some legitimately older games. Currently, I'm playing Minish Cap for the first time (which, as hardcore of a Zelda fan... since the 80s, it's a game I sadly missed.)

I'm not really playing multi-player games online anymore (life), so I'm campaign focused so I can take it at my own pace.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

Old(er) games. Every now and then I buy a brand new game, usually a big release like GTA. But otherwise.. I have time and enough to play to wait for a price drop. I don't play as much online as I used to, so it's not like I'm missing out on something.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

I picked the first option but in reality to me it's more of a "balanced" thing. Like it doesn't matter to me how old the game is, just that I want to play it.

I got rid of pretty much all of my backlog last year because I just played what I felt like playing. But even with a backlog finished I still feel like playing older games (while enjoying the new). Case in point I played AC Valhalla and now I'm playing Fire Emblem Three Houses.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22824 Posts

My gaming habits are so random... Hitman 2 ps4, then abruptly picking up the switch to build in my family rhelm in minecraft, to picking up my new game + in dark souls to assassins creed 3 to see if it was as bad as I remember... Literally all over the place.

BTW all these years later and Ac3's opening is self indulgent bullcrap. How dare they think I want to play a half dozen hours of that. Worst ooenening to a game in the modern era.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I have a long list of third, fourth, and fifth generation games to play. Many are ones I haven't played before, others it has been so long I forget them completely. I just played Super Metroid for the first time and beat that.