Doom Beta opens up:: rejected - PC gamers recoil in mass

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59314 Posts

In manus tuas, Domine, commendo spiritum meum.

"DOOM Open Beta Gets Slammed by Steam Reviews Before It’s Even Released

The DOOM Open Beta is due to begin on all platforms (PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) in a few hours, with the pre-load already available and the start date set for April 15 at midnight EST. However, we’ve noticed that the dedicated Steam page for the DOOM Open Beta has been already flooded with many negative user reviews.

As you can see in the snapshot below, the summary of reviews is “mixed” with only 68% of them recommending it.

DOOM (2)

The DOOM Open Beta is due to begin on all platforms (PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) in a few hours, with the pre-load already available and the start date set for April 15 at midnight EST. However, we’ve noticed that the dedicated Steam page for the DOOM Open Beta has been already flooded with many negative user reviews.

As you can see in the snapshot below, the summary of reviews is “mixed” with only 68% of them recommending it.

Of course, these users have not played the DOOM Open Beta as it’s not available yet, but they have all participated in previous beta/alpha events. The general consensus at this point is that the game’s multiplayer just does not feel like a proper arena shooter, mainly because of the introduction of certain modern FPS features like loadouts.

We’ve selected some excerpts from a few of the most voted user reviews appearing on the Steam page.

Horribly boring, horribly shallow, horribly not DOOM. It’s clear that not a single person at Certain Affinity even knows what an Arena FPS is like and I’m starting to doubt anyone at Certain Affinity even grew up with DOOM. Why do I say that? Because anybody who did grow up with DOOM would know that putting weapon loadouts in the multiplayer for DOOM is a stupid, assbackwards idea. Maybe you shouldn’t have outsourced the multiplayer to such an incompetant, unqualified studio, eh Bethesda? But I guess you’re pretty incompetant yourselves if you thought Certain Affinity was the way to go in the first place. And multiplayer is portion of the game they’re hyping up more than anything… what a damn joke. Lets all hope the singleplayer and snapmap are good.

Arena shooter for the console crowd. Level up system plus loadout system plus low mechanical skill cap (slow pace, no player movement physics) equals Quake-like game on training wheels that rewards the player for playing a lot rather than for being good. But you can customize your guy and make him look shiny!!! That’s kind of cool I guess.

I had very high hopes that this would be the game that revived the Arena shooter. Sadly this game misses the mark on almost every checkbox.

In an Arena shooter everyone spawns with nothing. The weapons are hidden in areas of the map that are designed to provide conflict. The objective of the game is to control the map, control the weapons, armor, and powerups. That is what provided the tension in games such as Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament. It’s what made the game fun. The only progression that a player makes in the game takes place within the constraints of that individual map."

http://wccftech.com/doom-open-beta-slammed-steam-reviews-released/

Since article creation it now sits at a dismal 35℅ approval.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25059 Posts

Single player is what all matters. ID software didnot made multiplayer.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I played some of it and I wasn't impressed. It's an ok shooter but it doesn't feel right. For one it moves too slow. The addition of double jump and ledge grabbing is welcome since they're snappy but the base movement speed being low hinders the rush you should be getting from this game. I personally don't think a dedicated melee button fits here. A majority of the people I went up against were going straight for my face for a shotgun blast and melee combo. Speaking of shotguns, that seems to be the only weapon to use besides the gauss cannon and plasma rifle to kill anyone. Guns in general have no kick or feeling to them. I don't think I even heard music playing. The maps generally seemed very quiet. I hope CA and Bethesda have been reading the feedback and can give us a classic mode. I just wanted to fight with guns and have no demon/skill/loadout BS. They are not in good position right now after announcing that crappy $40 season pass and now this MP beta.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

I hope they can make it as cool as the new order but let's not exaggerate our chance ....

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/15/doom-beta-review/

It doesn’t feel like Doom. It’s a little like Quake 3 and a little like Unreal Tournament and maybe even a little like Call of Duty, though that’s more a structural comparison than a game-feel comparison. But whatever else it does feel like, it doesn’t feel like Doom.

It’s important to say that while also acknowledging that Doom doesn’t have a single agreed-upon ‘feel’. It’s a many-textured thing, id’s FPS classic, and it’d be bold to the point of idiocy if I were to pretend your Doom was the same as my Doom. What I can say with a fair amount of confidence, however, is that this Doom, this new thing, doesn’t feel like any of the things we remember.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44678 Posts

As long as the SP rocks I couldn't care less about tacked on MP.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I'll still have the Top dog arena shooter on consoles Halo 5 if Doom doesn't pan out. Thing is I'm getting Doom mostly for the Single player, though I was not against having some fun here and there with the multiplayer modes.

I'll reserve judgement until I try it myself, I'm not too trusting of the pre-release hate stuff that is so rampant these days, maybe they are using a few ideas with the loadouts I don't know, it's unfortunate though if the game will feel like a mix mash of other games rather than have its own distinct identity and twist on the old Doom formula.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7718 Posts

well the reviews arent wrong its going to bomb on MP department on PC, might be ok on consoles

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

@lamprey263: In id's prime they delivered both, which should be expected from all games - excellency.

Too docile gamers are, easily conditioned into accepting inept quility and all manner of evils as standard. PC gamers have a near fanatical conservatism partially through well entrenched disdain of how they have been treated.

Overall I think we can agree that this game sucks and they all deserve to be fired.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

Not digging Doom 4, but let's not pretend Steam reviews hold any merit. It's on par with Youtube's comments section.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Not digging Doom 4, but let's not pretend Steam reviews hold any merit. It's on par with Youtube's comments section.

Individual reviews, no, but when the beta is sitting at 35% you know shit's bad. An average game will not get that low. You really have to **** up to make gamers get it that low.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

its indeed awful and boring

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

We still have Unreal Tournament to look forward to for the arena shooter genre.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

yeah right, they made quake , the first fps multiplayer lmao

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Yeah im done with the multiplayer after a few hours, it's far too slow, also it feels like there is forced mouse smoothing as well which is horrible, game is not a twitch shooter which is what Doom should be.

The only guns people use are rocket launcher/shotgun mix, any other weapon does crap all damage and is just not worth it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Trying to appeal to the Call Of Dooty crowd.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

I told you guys. No horror elements, this game has Halo gameplay. Told you months ago that this new Doom is ruined, they removed all horror elements, now we have unlimited ammo, no story mode and casual gameplay.

There is no single-player mode as we know since there is no story mode. It's just large maps with enemy A.I spawn and you kill bots and that's it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#17 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Early Steam reviews are normally bad. Most of them probably haven't even played the game yet. Wait for proper reviews once people have actually played it for quite some time.

Doom is also a SP franchise primarily. For multiplayer you have better games in development, like Overwatch, Unreal Tournament etc. So, let's see how SP works instead of focusing on MP only during the beta.

That said, my expectations for Doom are pretty low. I think it's going to be a disappointment.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18825 Posts

Just literally played 2 matches 5 mins ago. It wasn't bad but it's a no buy.

How do you switch weapons?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

It's not bad. It seems like a middling game that's gonna get lost in the sea of better multiplayer games next month

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I downloaded the beta last night on Steam. I'll give it a shot later on today, but I'm not expecting much.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Why are people saying Doom's mp doesn't matter?

Where Wolfenstein started FPS games, Doom started Multiplayer FPS games, without it there would have been no Quake to take it to the next level. Doom's MP should, at the very least, be on par with Unreal Tournament. If it's not (and it certainly sounds that way) then the apple has fallen off the tree and rolled a long, long way away.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#22 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

That's a damn shame. Doom 3 was one of the few games I actually played and loved on PC. I was never a fan of multiplayer to begin with but just hearing what the gameplay is like makes me wonder what the hell Bethesda was thinking. Bethesda did make this, right? Or was that my imagination?

Anyway, looks like they decided to go for a more old school arcady approach with this one. Might not be too much of a bad thing but slow movement will definitely make single player suffer alot. That really scares from buying it right now. Ontop of that, the game doesn't look scary at all. Way to screw up a legendary series. T_T

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghosts4ever

@commander said:
@ghosts4ever said:

yeah right, they made quake , the first fps multiplayer lmao

Id is only working on SP aspect of game. MP is handle by certain affinity.

SP is matter in Doom.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

"the summary of reviews is “mixed” with only 68% of them recommending it.

Of course, these users have not played the DOOM Open Beta as it’s not available yet,"

Lol. Sounds about right.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I thought it was quite ok. A massive step up from alpha. Really guys. Have you even played the alpha?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Doom is terrible. Always has been and always will be.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44678 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@lamprey263: In id's prime they delivered both, which should be expected from all games - excellency.

Too docile gamers are, easily conditioned into accepting inept quility and all manner of evils as standard. PC gamers have a near fanatical conservatism partially through well entrenched disdain of how they have been treated.

Overall I think we can agree that this game sucks and they all deserve to be fired.

I don't recall anybody singing songs about Dooms MP, for years it's always tons of talk about games like Quake and Unreal Tournament or even Half-Live and and those other Valve/Source derivative stuff but nobody is singing songs of praise about Doom's MP.

Maybe best I've experienced in Doom MP was the XBLA port having co-op MP but it kind of sucks these days since it's user hosted and not on dedicated virtual servers designed to mediate latency issues so not the best running unless players in close proximity but the idea is good, they could use a modern console port to really bring out the brilliance of co-op for these games, maybe the competitive MP which I was never big on except a few attempts at it over the years. The use of Dual Analog support a big plus on consoles too. The versions of Doom running from Steam didn't give me that option, I was a little disappointed.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I hate how "users" can "review" things that aren't out and they haven't played.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

you think SP is going to be faster?

this is how the game is gonna play like

This is not DOOM,it's a casualized mess.

Shadow Warrior 2 is going to be what DOOM should have been.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@killered3: Bethesda is publishing it but they did not make it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 uninspiredcup

A jordie man has explained why it is shit: https://youtu.be/-k_LPEm0gtc

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

This is all because of thumbstick controller multiplats. Proper twitch shooters will be back once VR gets going.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Wow that was great, and he is correct. I hope the single player is good, because I wont be touching that mulitplayer anymore than the few hours I have put into the beta.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

They did make Doom 3. Which was in stark contrast to the original three games.

I'm just going to stick with Wrack! and .wad launchers at this point.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@sailor232 said:

The only guns people use are rocket launcher/shotgun mix, any other weapon does crap all damage and is just not worth it.

That was also the case in the original Doom/Doom 2/Quake MP. The chain gun was also useful when circle-strafing. But, the rocket launcher and shotguns were the most common weapons used.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever
@foxhound_fox said:
@ghosts4ever said:

They did make Doom 3. Which was in stark contrast to the original three games.

I'm just going to stick with Wrack! and .wad launchers at this point.

I mean Doom MP is bieng made by certain affinity. same guys who made Halo 4 and black ops MP. of course it would be like halo. the day it was announced i expect it to be bad. I dont know why they even bother with releasing MP beta.

ID software only working on SP. and that looks very different.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever
@the_master_race said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I hope they can make it as cool as the new order but let's not exaggerate our chance ....

I hope not. new order absolutely SUCK. its COD with robots. waste of time

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I deleted the MP, it was piece of shit and an insult to the fans.

Hopefully the story mode is like a DOOM game so I can pick it up on a Steam sale for $5 a long time from now. What a fail.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Looks like most people are complaining the game was built with the limitations of controllers in mind which basically means alienating most anyone who is a fan of games like Doom.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@the_master_race said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I hope not. new order absolutely SUCK. its COD with robots. waste of time

Idk mane , COD never gave me a solid 20-hours campaign

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

iD hasn't made a good video game since Quake 3: Arena, so this isn't even remotely shocking.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

I only care about the SP, unless it somehow turns out to be like UT2004, which I doubt.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

.. To me the game feels like a close quarters Halo more than anything else.. That being said, no one cares about the competitive side of multiplayer for doom.. Its the singleplayer and co-op side that people are playing the older dooms to this day for.. Based on what they did with Wolfenstein The New Order.. I am not going to write it off just yet because that was a terrific sequel.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:
@sailor232 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Wow that was great, and he is correct. I hope the single player is good, because I wont be touching that mulitplayer anymore than the few hours I have put into the beta.

He makes several good points, but then he blames modern gamers for the state of modern gaming, mother*ucks Doom up one side and down the other, then says he's buying it anyway for the SP. Bethesda wins.

Yeah he's pretty shit.

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#46 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

I didn't really get into it for the first hour or so. I'm pretty hooked to it now though. Its the closest thing to a twitch shooter consoles have right now. I wanted to check it out on PC but my comp doesn't quite meet the requirements.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#47 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

A jordie man has explained why it is shit:

https://youtu.be/-k_LPEm0gtc

Loading Video...

^^ Nice to hear from someone, who've played older games. Makes more sense when comparing with the game new. Thanks for posting.

SteXmaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#48  Edited By SteXmaN
Member since 2012 • 550 Posts

Played about 3 hours. The game requires 0 skill and there's no learning curve whatsoever.I really don't like the gunplay and it's obvious that it was designed for consoles.

Plenty of other competitive MP FPS titles coming this year so this is a pass for me.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:

A jordie man has explained why it is shit:

https://youtu.be/-k_LPEm0gtc

Loading Video...

^^ Nice to hear from someone, who've played older games. Makes more sense when comparing with the game new. Thanks for posting.

^ ^ He sums up exactly how I felt when I played the shitty beta. As someone who played the original Doom, Quake, and UT games extensively back in the day and still plays UT now this game is a massive insult to all arena shooter fans. How the hell did this game get the pass from id and Bathesda? I know it's not them that designed the multiplayer but didn't the guys who created the MP consult them at all? How the hell did they think this shit was okay? Why would any fans of arena shooters get this crap when we have stuff like the new Unreal Tournament Alpha that looks and plays better than this pile of shit? On top of that these assholes feel it's okay to sell a season pass with map and WEAPON DLC? WTF are these guys smoking?!

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@sailor232 said:

Yeah im done with the multiplayer after a few hours, it's far too slow, also it feels like there is forced mouse smoothing as well which is horrible, game is not a twitch shooter which is what Doom should be.

The MP feels a bit like quake, unfortunately it doesn't use the maps like quake so starting people off with a rocket launcher... the developers don't fundamentally understand what made the MP so good... map control.

Also doom was never a complete twitch shooter. There was strategy in taking out enemies and the pace wasn't much different. Most people complaining about the speed of doom are Brutal Doom fans. This isn't Unreal/Quake.