Fallout 4 v Witcher 3. No competition at all in my eyes.

• 105 results
blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Witcher 3: great story, good quests, terrible combat, really boring 'world' that looks the same everywhere you go, bland characters, level progression that actively punishes you if you follow the story, you can outlevel the entire game by playing one third of the content. If any game across ALL platforms can be accused of being a movie game it's Witcher 3 because actual gameplay elements are just so BAD.

Fallout 4: terrible graphics by modern standards, functional quests and storyline, amazingly interesting world to explore, fantastic crafting system, a character YOU create as opposed to Geralt oh good it's him again we are not bored of acting out his life again after 3 games, amazing perk system so you can actually tailor your playing style to how you want to play no steel or silver sword bullshit as an i.e. and just generally a much, MUCH more interesting and rewarding game to play IMO than just living out Geralt's tired, boring adventure with disastrous game design inhibiting you at every turn.

That is my take on it all, I fully expect abuse for daring to criticise W3 but hey it is what it is.

What say you SW?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Of course TW3 wins but Fallout 4 with the mod tool will have way more longevity

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blueinheaven

@silversix_ said:

It's even better with mods but doesn't need them. Even vanilla FO4 destroys W3 which fills its really boring world with totally banal pointless filler quests in AC style it basically gives you a checklist of really boring shit to do to make you feel you're getting value for money.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Both were great.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

Witcher 3: great story, good quests, terrible combat, really boring 'world' that looks the same everywhere you go, bland characters, level progression that actively punishes you if you follow the story, you can outlevel the entire game by playing one third of the content. If any game across ALL platforms can be accused of being a movie game it's Witcher 3 because actual gameplay elements are just so BAD.

Fallout 4: terrible graphics by modern standards, functional quests and storyline, amazingly interesting world to explore, fantastic crafting system, a character YOU create as opposed to Geralt oh good it's him again we are not bored of acting out his life again after 3 games, amazing perk system so you can actually tailor your playing style to how you want to play no steel or silver sword bullshit as an i.e. and just generally a much, MUCH more interesting and rewarding game to play IMO than just living out Geralt's tired, boring adventure with disastrous game design inhibiting you at every turn.

That is my take on it all, I fully expect abuse for daring to criticise W3 but hey it is what it is.

What say you SW?

Like Fallout 4 is not like that !

Bland characters ? oh c'mon ! It has one of the best character developments. No contest here seriously.

Terrible combat? This is subjective so i don't dig it.

Hell it's the first game that has meaningful side quests with well-written story. Just take a look at other open-worlds, full of fillers ! Fallout 4 falls flat in terms of story overall.

Ramp up the difficulty, problem solved.

Other points are pretty subjective.

Movie game ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Fallout 4 was terrible, rife with fundamental game design flaws that drag the experience down. The most I can say for it is that it is a fun sandbox to **** around in.

The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games ever made.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@silversix_ said:

It's even better with mods but doesn't need them. Even vanilla FO4 destroys W3 which fills its really boring world with totally banal pointless filler quests in AC style it basically gives you a checklist of really boring shit to do to make you feel you're getting value for money.

Lets calm down... Fallout 4's quests, dialogue, voice acting, graphics, campaign are all garbage. The only bad part about TW3 is combat. Everything else is top notch. "Everything looking the same" you mixed TW3 with DA:I. Now i may be enjoying Fallout 4 more because i prefer it as a series but saying that its better than a masterpiece like TW3 wouldn't be true.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

LMAO Witcher 3 has bland characters. Right! I'd argue they are 3 dimension to Fallout's 1 dimension characters.

Worlds look the same everywhere you go?? Yeah, i know right, it's not like Fallout has you staying in a wasteland that looks exactly the same no matter where you are. Oh, and shockingly, lets yo explore same places...

You can outlevel everything? Yeah, imagine that, just like fallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

It's actually really hard to be overleveled in Witcher, since the only way to get EXP is to complete quests and contracts. Fallout gives you XP for picking a gun up.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

witcher 3 by miles.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Berserker1_5

@charizard1605 said:

It's actually really hard to be overleveled in Witcher, since the only way to get EXP is to complete quests and contracts. Fallout gives you XP for picking a gun up.

Yeah, not to mention, in Witcher 3, you will never out level something more than 1-3 levels unless you purposely and intentionally try to. In Fallout, you out level the content without even trying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Berserker1_5 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah, not to mention, in Witcher 3, you will never out level something more than 1-3 levels unless you purposely and intentionally try to. In Fallout, you out level the content without even trying

Yep. Especially on standard difficulties or above, it is basically impossible to outlevel anything. Witcher doesn't allow grinding. Idk how that complaint is valid at all, tbh.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#13 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17850 Posts

The Witcher 3 is definitely better, but I can't shit on either game. Happy to enjoy them both.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mjorh

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-rpgs-of-all-time-1/

TW3 makes it to the list and sits in the 4th place ....yet there's no sign of Fallout 4.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

Of course there's no competition. The Witcher 3 shits on most games released this year (or even this generation).

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61522 Posts

The Witcher 3 by a country mile.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Well I haven't played Fallout 4, but The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games of all time so...

I don't get the comparison between Witcher 3's side quests and AC's filler content at all. It's actually very apparent how much work went into making each small side story interesting and engaging.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mjorh

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

Well I haven't played Fallout 4, but The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games of all time so...

I don't get the comparison between Witcher 3's side quests and AC's filler content at all. It's actually very apparent how much work went into making each small side story interesting and engaging.

It's not just AC , seriously there's no game like TW3 when it comes to side quests .

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

We all know The Witcher 3 is better. No need for a thread about it.

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts
@blueinheaven said:

Witcher 3 because actual gameplay elements are just so BAD.

Geralt's tired, boring adventure with disastrous game design inhibiting you at every turn.

Right?

Witcher 3 and its widespread acclaim among gamers signifies two things. Gamers standards have taken the plunge. Gamers now put gameplay in the back seat. The industry has conditioned us to sing praise for the sub-par and the bottom has finally fallen out.

It is a decent game at times. It is not the best game this year. It's not even a top 10 game this year. It's not even the best rpg on PS4 or PC this year.

Witcher 3 is a big beautiful world. Beautiful and big enough it seems, to distract many gamers from gameplay that crescendos into mediocrity in its finest moments.

I only hope that its popularity doesn't set a precedent. It would be a shame if other developers get the idea that the Witcher 3 formula is something to settle for. It would also be a shame if CDPR thinks this is the way to continue, but I'm sure they do. Unfortunate really, I was hoping that Cyberpunk 2077 would be something to look forward to. Yet when the gaming masses join together to service CDPR with fellatio in unison, you can't expect them to learn from their mistakes.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 284

User Lists: 37

#22 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

@khoofia_pika said:

Of course there's no competition. The Witcher 3 shits on most games released this year (or even this generation).

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

You say Witcher 3 has terrible combat and then not even mention Fallout 4's combat?
You say Witcher 3's gameplay is bad, but then go on to praise Fallout 4?

The core mechanics in Fallout 4 are abysmal. This is not an opinion. The gameplay in Fallout 4 is bad. Like, Steam Greenlight game level clumsy. Everyone gives it a free pass because it's Bethesda. Yes, I love the armor and weapon crafting. For me, that makes the bottom-of-the-barrel gameplay tolerable (the loading times on the other hand...). But Witcher 3's combat was basically good. It's better than Fallout 4's and better than any clumsy floaty Elder Scrolls game. Not as good as a Souls game, but certainly within the spectrum of good.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#25 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@blueinheaven: Answer is in thread title: *IN MY EYES*

How can anyone else play games with your eyes, tastes, wants, money, time?

My *eyes (and all else differ from yours).*

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

TW3 is my GOTY

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
@getyeryayasout said:
@Bigboi500 said:

Both were great.

Unacceptable. Pick a side. :P

I hear voices, I admit it.

But when reading this^ I heard Beldar from the Coneheads, so that made it acceptable and hilarious.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Both are great but Fallout 4 is on another level. CDPR did a fine job at their first crack at an open world RPG but Bethesda proved that they are still miles ahead of everyone. The commonwealth is just so much more interesting to explore and dense with areas and detail. Witcher has better quests and writing but Fallout 4 has better moments. Witcher 3's character progression and leveling up system is incredibly unsatisfying as well. While I preferred Skyrim's leveling up system to Fallout's, Fallout's still offers waaaaaaay more customization and options for how you want to play the game. Everyone's Geralt more or less plays the same. Also, being able to over level quests is such a stupid and pointless design decision.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Ugh, I finally caved in yesterday and ordered W3 off Amazon for $30. FO4 has way too many improbable scenarios and the characters are really bland. Also if I wanted to build settlements and defend them I'd play Minecraft.

The size of a small ocean but with the depth of a puddle. A perfect description for any Bethesda developed open world "RPG".

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mjorh

@Boddicker said:

Ugh, I finally caved in yesterday and order W3 off Amazon for $30. FO4 has way too many improbable scenarios and the characters are really bland. Also if I wanted to build settlements and defend them I'd play Minecraft.

The size of a small ocean but with the depth of a puddle. A perfect description for any Bethesda developed open world "RPG".

Damn right !

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Berserker1_5

@Boddicker said:

Ugh, I finally caved in yesterday and order W3 off Amazon for $30. FO4 has way too many improbable scenarios and the characters are really bland. Also if I wanted to build settlements and defend them I'd play Minecraft.

Believe me Witcher 3 is miles ahead of Fallout. Im not saying F4 is bad, just...meh

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Did I mention I'm now playing it on "Survival" difficulty and still ripping through Deathclaws like they were tissue paper. Ugh.

And MacReady's perk is bugged on the PS4. 95% chance to hit on the head no matter the range.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

The better game has great mod support, and will get even better with time. I can't wait to see what people come up with. The world is filled with interesting stuff to explore, and I'm always finding new little things scattered throughout. Hats off to the developers for a great job.

The other game involves Power Armor.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@blueinheaven said:

What say you SW?

Srsly , do Skellige and Novigard look the same to you ? ....

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

I'm sure The Witcher 3 is better than most Bethesda games, (recent Bethesda at least), and I disagree with any knock against The Witcher 3's actual world design. It not being an amusement park, is why it's actually well done, it's a setting, not Disney World. That said, the fucking defenses for The Witcher 3's awful combat, are non-existent at best, and talking purely story the game does a great job with side stories, but Geralt of Rivia is a fucking moron half the time.

The RPG fanbase I swear, will for apologize for anything in this genre, and I mean fucking anything.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

I love Fallout 4 but the Witcher 3 is on a whole another level, CD project red have moved the genre forward Bethesada just did the same old thing.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@Bigboi500: Fallout is dog shit.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blueinheaven

@charizard1605 said:
@Berserker1_5 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Yep. Especially on standard difficulties or above, it is basically impossible to outlevel anything. Witcher doesn't allow grinding. Idk how that complaint is valid at all, tbh.

Seriously I'm beginning to wonder if you guys even played the game. I finished W3 and was massively overlevelled for the majority of it. Main quests and monster quests give you ridiculous amounts of exp, so do most side quests. You don't have to grind in W3 just doing the content they put in front of you will level you like mad.

By the time I got to Skellige I ignored most quests as they were 5 levels below me. The way to avoid this problem is just don't do most of the quests when you start the game which I'm sure you'll agree is an excellent idea in a fucking RPG.

Fallout 4 does not have this problem for me so far and I'm many hours into it. It's a lot more balanced than W3 and it doesn't bombard you with a thousand pointless things to do every inch of the map (that was what I meant for whoever asked how it compared to AC).

I liked W3 it was a great game but the boring combat and most content becoming completely trivial a third through the game unless I avoided most of the previous content was a letdown for me.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mems_1224

@blueinheaven: kind of agree dude. By level 11-12 I was constantly over leveling quests and instead of exploring and doing quests in whatever order I wanted the game basically made me feel like I had to do the quests in a certain order. Really stupid and pointless design decision that litterally added nothing to the experience and hurt it instead.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44632 Posts

Haven't touched Witcher 3 yet.

Fallout 4 wasn't easy to get into, I was still juggling Rise of the Tomb Raider second playthrough when I started it up, on top of being hooked on Battlefront, and I still keep jumping into Doom XBLA BC. But, I've finally put in a few good days into playing it and man is it getting addictive, I think I'm between 40-50 hours, there still feels like there's so much more to do and like I've barely skimmed the surface. I'm kind of worried it'l hold my attention too long. I haven't even touched my PS4 I just got a couple weeks back and I barely remember it's there.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14939 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@charizard1605 said:
@Berserker1_5 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Seriously I'm beginning to wonder if you guys even played the game. I finished W3 and was massively overlevelled for the majority of it. Main quests and monster quests give you ridiculous amounts of exp, so do most side quests. You don't have to grind in W3 just doing the content they put in front of you will level you like mad.

By the time I got to Skellige I ignored most quests as they were 5 levels below me. The way to avoid this problem is just don't do most of the quests when you start the game which I'm sure you'll agree is an excellent idea in a fucking RPG.

Fallout 4 does not have this problem for me so far and I'm many hours into it. It's a lot more balanced than W3 and it doesn't bombard you with a thousand pointless things to do every inch of the map (that was what I meant for whoever asked how it compared to AC).

I liked W3 it was a great game but the boring combat and most content becoming completely trivial a third through the game unless I avoided most of the previous content was a letdown for me.

But many quests have higher levels, red skulls, than when you get them as well, especially in Velen and Novigrad.

You are overstating the problem. True, some quests do get outleveled badly.....the Morvarg quest and Lambert's quest that takes you to Skellige, are a couple, but its not really a bad problem unless you gun through the main plot.

Fallout 4 has stupid unbalancing with its perks, and has a terrible dialogue system and weaker quest design. Fallout 4 goes away from what made New Vegas a good RPG.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#44 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14939 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Both are great but Fallout 4 is on another level. CDPR did a fine job at their first crack at an open world RPG but Bethesda proved that they are still miles ahead of everyone. The commonwealth is just so much more interesting to explore and dense with areas and detail. Witcher has better quests and writing but Fallout 4 has better moments. Witcher 3's character progression and leveling up system is incredibly unsatisfying as well. While I preferred Skyrim's leveling up system to Fallout's, Fallout's still offers waaaaaaay more customization and options for how you want to play the game. Everyone's Geralt more or less plays the same. Also, being able to over level quests is such a stupid and pointless design decision.

Fallout 4 is a giant disappointment. Weak writing, weak role playing, weak quest design outside of a couple quests, outside a couple of characters, poor characterization, and a really dumb dialogue system that made Bioware's early attempts with the dialogue system look fresh and not dated. Quest design revolving around combat more than any entry in the series, including Fallout 3 (although 4 is better written than 3). Ga,e is a HUGE step down from New Vegas.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mems_1224

@texasgoldrush: ok

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Fallout 4 feels pretty cool after MGSV, the disappointment of the year.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Fallout 4 is the epitome of lazy devs. W3 wins by a wide margin.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Fallout 4 I haven't played but hearing about the simplified dialogue wheel with extreme basic 4 answers and most of them are the same and lead to the same conclusion just makes me say **** you Bethesda. They had 4 years and this is what we get? Not to mention outdated graphics and small map. They made fallout even more casual for the mainstream audience.

I was right to wait on this game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mems_1224

@a-new-guardian: meh, the map isn't giant but it is fucking dense and more detailed than any other game out there.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#50 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30571 Posts

I'm going with The Witcher 3, but both are amazing games. Easily my favourite current gen games so far.