Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69636 Posts

I am currently playing FFVII-Remake and I am absolutely loving it unfortunately I am not this lead me to FFXVI videos on YouTube. Despite all the hype leading up to the game, the game quickly fell off the radar across the board. For those who have played it, why do you think this happened?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

Nothing happened it was a great game with incredible score. The boss battles is incredible cinematic wise lots of spectacles.

AKA You just late to the party.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45214 Posts
@sakaixx said:

Nothing happened it was a great game with incredible score. The boss battles is incredible cinematic wise lots of spectacles.

Yup

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39081 Posts

Imagine creating an rpg that has the same kind of complexities that a phone game made for a soccer moms has. The decision of going so simpleton that even a simpleton would be insulted, was dumb as hell. Rebirth didn't took this route, and it'll be super popular, and people will be talking about it way after its release.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pedro

@sakaixx said:

So, it cannot be enjoy now because it is too late?🤔

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50579 Posts

Weird thread.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1093 Posts

@Chutebox: Yeah. I wonder what the sodium content is?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

@Chutebox said:

Weird thread.

Not sure how. The game had strong build up but, fell out the lime light really quickly. Asking the folks who have played the game about the reasons why this happen is weird?🤔

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

What's the point of this thread? Lol.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#10  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19580 Posts

Problem with modern FF is that they keep trying to chase trends that don't last. When FF16 began production, the big trends were real-time combat and Game of Thrones style storytelling, so that's what FF16 was aiming for. By the time FF16 released, turn-based combat made a big comeback and Game of Thrones became irrelevant. FF16 still sold well enough to turn a profit, but was not the breakout hit Square Enix were hoping for.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

@Jag85 said:

Problem with modern FF is that they keep trying to chase trends that don't last. When FF16 began production, the big trends were real-time combat and Game of Thrones style storytelling, so that's what FF16 was aiming for. By the time FF16 released, turn-based combat made a big comeback and Game of Thrones became irrelevant. FF16 sold well enough to turn a profit, but was not the breakout hit Square Enix were hoping for.

Do you think they should have kept turn base for the game?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox

@Pedro said:
@Jag85 said:

Problem with modern FF is that they keep trying to chase trends that don't last. When FF16 began production, the big trends were real-time combat and Game of Thrones style storytelling, so that's what FF16 was aiming for. By the time FF16 released, turn-based combat made a big comeback and Game of Thrones became irrelevant. FF16 sold well enough to turn a profit, but was not the breakout hit Square Enix were hoping for.

YES!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jag85
@Pedro said:

FF16 is a solid action-oriented game in its own right. But the problem is that's not what FF is known for, so it didn't meet audience expectations.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@Chutebox said:

YES!

That would also require the inclusion of party members. Is this the first installment with no party members?🤔

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39081 Posts

I SUMMON TEXAS TO JOIN THIS THREAD, AND TELL Y'ALL HOW HE FEELS ABOUT FF16.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

Probably design style choices. FFXVI looks like a classic fantasy whereas FFVII looks set in a future dystopia. FFVII is also regarded as the best FF game ever, so its remake is definitely going to get a lot more attention.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pedro
@Jag85 said:

FF16 is a solid action-oriented game in its own right. But the problem is that's not what FF is known for, so it didn't meet audience expectations.

I am playing FFVII and FFXVI looks very similar gameplay-wise. The most obvious exclusion was party members based on the demo. So, I find it odd that if the folks that loved FFVII are not as moved with FFXVI. I guess having party members is that much important to the series.🤔

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@lamprey263 said:

Probably design style choices. FFXVI looks like a classic fantasy whereas FFVII looks set in a future dystopia. FFVII is also regarded as the best FF game ever, so its remake is definitely going to get a lot more attention.

I haven't played the original FFVII to any major degree despite owning the PC version way back when. The FF games that I have played and enjoyed were 10 and 15. FF8 was interesting but dragged on forever.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lamprey263

@Pedro: I gave up trying to play original FFVII numerous times over the years. Just not for me. I'd give the remake a play someday, I'd rather play a more modernized version of its story with modernized gameplay. Besides, I got Persona games to scratch that JRPG itch.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45214 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Weird thread.

@nod_calypse said:

What's the point of this thread? Lol.

🤣 sounds like Lems have become desperate for some old news

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@lamprey263 said:

@Pedro: I gave up trying to play original FFVII numerous times over the years. Just not for me. I'd give the remake a play someday, I'd rather play a more modernized version of its story with modernized gameplay. Besides, I got Persona games to scratch that JRPG itch.

How far did you reach in the original? I am pondering purchasing it for comparison.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lamprey263

@Pedro: never ever got past the first disc

might be hard to gauge where that was now with modern digital versions, which I also don't wanna touch as they look like ass with the upscale 3D assets on old 2D backdrops

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Chutebox

@Pedro: 16 has party members, just can't control them.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

@lamprey263 said:

@Pedro: never ever got past the first disc

might be hard to gauge where that was now with modern digital versions, which I also don't wanna touch as they look like ass with the upscale 3D assets on old 2D backdrops

I have seen some a comparison between the OG and the newer versions and it is a bit rough.

@Chutebox said:

@Pedro: 16 has party members, just can't control them.

I was referring to controllable party members.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jag85
@Pedro said:

I am playing FFVII and FFXVI looks very similar gameplay-wise. The most obvious exclusion was party members based on the demo. So, I find it odd that if the folks that loved FFVII are not as moved with FFXVI. I guess having party members is that much important to the series.🤔

FF7R has a hybrid combat system, combining real-time action with turn-based elements. Default combat mode leans more real-time action, whereas the alternative combat mode leans more turn-based. In contrast, FF16 is fully real-time action. But yes, party members is a big part of it too. The group dynamics have always been a big part of the FF experience, both in terms of combat and storytelling.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10465 Posts

i am not a big ff guy. didn't appeal to me starting back in the snes days and hasn't really since. bought xv or whatever the one which had the scantily clad mechanic with the thong at the start. hated it. so i had no nostalgia bias or expectation based off previous games for xvi. but at the time i hadn't got much else to play and thought what the hell i'll give it a whirl. and i really quite enjoyed it.

admittedly combat was easy, there was a fair bit of fetchy quests and i felt it outstayed its welcome and could've ended about ten hours before it did. but the story was pretty good, the whole eikons and dominants lore was pretty cool, loved ralph ineson as cid and visually it was nice with some epic moments.

was just a nice game to relax, kick back to and enjoy the ride. admittedly played all of it on psychedelics

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@Macutchi said:

i am not a big ff guy. didn't appeal to me starting back in the snes days and hasn't really since. bought xv or whatever the one which had the scantily clad mechanic with the thong at the start. hated it. so i had no nostalgia bias or expectation based off previous games for xvi. but at the time i hadn't got much else to play and thought what the hell i'll give it a whirl. and i really quite enjoyed it.

admittedly combat was easy, there was a fair bit of fetchy quests and i felt it outstayed its welcome and could've ended about ten hours before it did. but the story was pretty good, the whole eikons and dominants lore was pretty cool, loved ralph ineson as cid and visually it was nice with some epic moments. was a nice game to relax, kick back to and enjoy the ride. admittedly played it on psychedelics

😂 to the bold. Would you recommend the game?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10465 Posts

@Pedro: given how little ff experience i have i dont think id have any business recommending it to more experienced players. it was pretty easy (but still fun) so it'd be one to consider more if the story or the switch from turn based combat appeals. otherwise i'd have to sit on the fence and let more experienced players help guide your decision dude

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

Okay, that's weird. I played this game less than a year ago, and I remember almost nothing about it.

I feel like the game was very uneven? It spend heaps of time focusing on the wrong things, like the bad sidequests, that incredibly boring desert town, and the entire dull first half of the story.

The combat also did the FF13 thing of having an interesting system that is completely underutilised because most enemies are stupidly easy. There were a couple of mechanically great boss fights in the game, but also a lot of duds and stuff that didn't work (like elemental damage being completely meaningless).

The characters were fine, with the only standouts being Cid and Hugo. The female character (Jill? Jane?) Is the single most boring romantic lead in the entire series.

Overall I think I liked the game, but I don't think it was in my top 5 RPGs of last year.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@Planeforger: What are your top 5?

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2040 Posts

It's a PS5 exclusive. Those who bought it finished it already. Yeah it's no FF7 Remake but it was also a great game. 8.5/10

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20116 Posts

You're asking why no one's talking about a single player game that came out last summer? I guess for the same reason no one is talking about Starfield?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@Zero_epyon said:

You're asking why no one's talking about a single player game that came out last summer? I guess for the same reason no one is talking about Starfield?

People still talk about Starfield. There is even a thread about Helldivers 2 numbers on Steam relative to it, despite being a single player game. Then there is the Sony fannies meltdown which you were part of discussing the fantasy of Starfield coming to PS5. 🙃

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20116 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Zero_epyon said:

People still talk about Starfield. There is even a thread about Helldivers 2 numbers on Steam relative to it, despite being a single player game. Then there is the Sony fannies meltdown which you were part of discussing the fantasy of Starfield coming to PS5. 🙃

People talk about Starfield to make fun of it, not because of the game itself. Starfield's relevancy dropped of a cliff like all single player games do. So asking what happened to FF16, a single player game, is weird as hell.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@Zero_epyon said:

People talk about Starfield to make fun of it, not because of the game itself. Starfield's relevancy dropped of a cliff like all single player games do. So asking what happened to FF16, a single player game, is weird as hell.

Ok.🤭

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 736 Posts

I was actually hyped for FFXVI but ended up deciding to wait and now I'm not sure I care. I have plenty to keep me busy. I think for me personally, I just didn't like 15 at all. No matter how many times I tried it, I just wasn't having fun. By and large, I prefer action RPGs now, but I think I would have preferred FF be turn-based.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@Jendeh said:

I was actually hyped for FFXVI but ended up deciding to wait and now I'm not sure I care. I have plenty to keep me busy. I think for me personally, I just didn't like 15 at all. No matter how many times I tried it, I just wasn't having fun. By and large, I prefer action RPGs now, but I think I would have preferred FF be turn-based.

FF XVI is more action RPG than FFXV from what several have mentioned on this forum. So, it might be more in line with your expectations. However, the cutscene load is pretty heavy handed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58368 Posts

Wait, it came out?

When?

How was it?

@Pedro said:
@Chutebox said:

Weird thread.

Not sure how. The game had strong build up but, fell out the lime light really quickly. Asking the folks who have played the game about the reasons why this happen is weird?🤔

This seems to be a theme among the Sony community: game/hardware (specifically PS Portal) comes out, disappears off the radar almost immediately. Someone mentions "Hey why no one talking about it?" and they get defensive about it and then immediately fire back with some comment lol.

The fact is, PS/Sony isn't making a lot of games, and the so-called big titles aren't that hyped or big.

I didn't even know FF16 came out lol. I think Sony is taking their fanbase for granted, sort of feels like the suits are sitting up in the tower going "Well it's FF, they're going to buy it no matter what" and that's that.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52438 Posts

The best of the modern FF games.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3035 Posts

Great game. What are we talking about?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34648 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Wait, it came out?

When?

How was it?

lol, came to say the same thing. Thought people were still waiting for it, haven't seen anyone talk about it.

Anyway, lol FF no thanks.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58368 Posts

@uitravioience said:

Great game. What are we talking about?

The Superbowl.

And I disagree; it was a TERRIBLE game. Too many flags.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 674 Posts

There are two reasons why FF16 is where it is.

1) It has been released when the more popular and anticipated FF7R is also coming.

2) The game has you playing one new character against playing much loved ones.

It is quite clear the OP has not played one, or maybe even both games, as the combat is different. In FF16 on the demo I played it is mainly action with some magic. In FF7R the combat can be played as it is intended - a mixture of action and turn-based; it can be played as an action-only game - if you only use the ATB for health and limits (and some might not use limits); you can also use it as a turn-based game - choosing Classic - Normal mode and only using the ATB charges and letting the engine auto-defend. You sometimes have to move the character out of AOE attacks as the AI is poor at dealing with it.

The three modes of combat gives FF7R, a much loved classic, more replayability than FF16.

FF16 is a decent game, I guess, but has been released when a much bigger FF game and the likes of Baldur's Gate has come out.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

It is quite clear the OP has not played one, or maybe even both games, as the combat is different.

Seems like your ability to clearly observe is not too good. I am currently playing FFVII and I have played the demo of FFXVI just like you. Not sure where you got the impression that myself or anyone else were saying the combat is the same. It is clear that you didn't read.🙃

@mrbojangles25 said:

Wait, it came out?

When?

How was it?

@Pedro said:

This seems to be a theme among the Sony community: game/hardware (specifically PS Portal) comes out, disappears off the radar almost immediately. Someone mentions "Hey why no one talking about it?" and they get defensive about it and then immediately fire back with some comment lol.

The fact is, PS/Sony isn't making a lot of games, and the so-called big titles aren't that hyped or big.

I didn't even know FF16 came out lol. I think Sony is taking their fanbase for granted, sort of feels like the suits are sitting up in the tower going "Well it's FF, they're going to buy it no matter what" and that's that.

They got defensive super fast. Prior and during the launch they spammed the forum but then the coverage and excitement dwindled rapidly. It wasn't even mentioned in forum discussion during the award show the venue that they tout.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Chutebox

@mrbojangles25: No one is defensive, at least not me.

If people ask questions and bring it up I'll talk about it. I've never....ever felt the need to just bring crap up.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chutebox

@mrbojangles25: OH, speaking of which! I played RE2 on Portal last night. It was fun. Bout to play it again, cya!

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jcafcwbb

@Pedro:

I am currently playing FFVII-Remake and I am absolutely loving it unfortunately I am notthis lead me to FFXVI videos on YouTube. Despite all the hype leading up to the game, the game quickly fell off the radar across the board. For those who have played it, why do you think this happened?

This is your text in your OP. There is no mention in here of you having played even the demo of FF16. There is no other posts of yours that explicitly said you played the demo of FF16. That is why I was pointing out the difference between the combat of the two systems. Being able to play as Barrett or Tifa is a big reason why some has chosen FF7R over 16.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@jcafcwbb said:

@Pedro:

I am currently playing FFVII-Remake and I am absolutely loving it unfortunately I am notthis lead me to FFXVI videos on YouTube. Despite all the hype leading up to the game, the game quickly fell off the radar across the board. For those who have played it, why do you think this happened?

This is your text in your OP. There is no mention in here of you having played even the demo of FF16. There is no other posts of yours that explicitly said you played the demo of FF16. That is why I was pointing out the difference between the combat of the two systems. Being able to play as Barrett or Tifa is a big reason why some has chosen FF7R over 16.

Your text "It is quite clear the OP has not played one, or maybe even both games,". The text you are quoting of me directly counters your claim even though I did not mention having played the demo of FFXVI.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jcafcwbb

@Pedro: How about responding to the comments on here that the FF7R project has over-shadowed FF16 and that is why people have moved on from it quickly?