G4TV: Halo's impact on the multiplayer universe is almost immeasurable ...

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

... and it almost didn't happen http://www.g4tv.com/videos/54074/bungie-20th-anniversary-multiplayer-legacy/

What other games you believe have dramatically impacted their genre after their release?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

How? The only game that uses Halo multiplayer...is Halo. What exactly did it change for the better or do first? Regenerating health all the time? Not better. 2 weapon limit? Not better. Vehicles? I think there were PC games with those before.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mystery_Writer

How? The only game that uses Halo multiplayer...is Halo. What exactly did it change for the better or do first? Regenerating health all the time? Not better. 2 weapon limit? Not better. Vehicles? I think there were PC games with those before.

ChubbyGuy40
you like the 90's era health packs?
EggHeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EggHeadMan
Member since 2011 • 723 Posts

I agree. Halo had a huge impact like it or not

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

A shame that the original Halo's Multiplayer (you know, what G4TV's talking about as immeasurably impactful) won't be included with Halo Anniversary...instead we are getting Halo Reach MP.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

A shame that the original Halo's Multiplayer (you know, what G4TV's talking about as immeasurably impactful) won't be included with Halo Anniversary...instead we are getting Halo Reach MP.

SolidTy

I was actually really disappointed when I heard that, I would have definitely got it day one if it had the first's multiplayer with online.

EggHeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EggHeadMan
Member since 2011 • 723 Posts

SolidTy

its because they dont want to split up the community

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

SolidTy

I believe splitscreen multiplayer will still be included, just not online. I think, it would be stupid not to include some sort of competitive multiplayer

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

SolidTy

Wait not even the 4-player split-screen and system link play? How about 2 player co-op?

Halo ain't Halo without those things.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

soulitane

I was actually really disappointed when I heard that, I would have definitely got it day one if it had the first's multiplayer with online.

I feel the same way, I used to LAN that Halo sucker up, and I really had some fun with that bad boy with friends. :P

I wish it included Halo 2 in the pack as well. Halo definitely has shaped a lot of MP games though.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Wasn't there a thread recently about how Halo CE's multiplayer was tacked on?
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts

SolidTy

You only want to drive those indestructilbe Warthogs on certain CE maps? And only the original CE weapons?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

soulitane

wait..what! :|

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Mystery_Writer

I like it when military shooters don't have regenerating health because thats complete BS. Med kits are alright, but in some games can be sort've OP like Battlefield 2. I prefer it when they have neither system really.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

moose_knuckler

You only want to drive those indestructilbe Warthogs on certain CE maps? And only the original CE weapons?

I want the whole kit and kaboodle...I already own Halo Reach. (Two copies in fact for LAN) :)

I certainly don't want Reach again, since I already own it. But yeah, I would like the old Halo game, redone in HD for MP.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts
I honestly feel Goldeneye on the N64 had a slightly bigger impact when it comes to multiplayer. On consoles at least.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Mystery_Writer

It was better than suddenly regrowing arms and legs after a few seconds. I never enjoyed Halo online i even bought the game for SP and didn't enjoy that either, maybe because at the time i didn't know anyone else who played it so that could be something to do with it but Halo MP's only decent contribution was in fact regenerating health and i don't like it no matter what game it is in but i guess there has to something other than taking a bullet then waiting for an ambulance and going under surgery and then wearing a plaster cast for a month or two before you can go into another match.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mystery_Writer

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

ChubbyGuy40

I like it when military shooters don't have regenerating health because thats complete BS. Med kits are alright, but in some games can be sort've OP like Battlefield 2. I prefer it when they have neither system really.

what FPS game that doesn't have neither system?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#19 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts
I honestly feel Goldeneye on the N64 had a slightly bigger impact when it comes to multiplayer. On consoles at least.Xaero_Gravity
Yep, GoldenEye came like 4 years before Halo
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Wasdie

Wait not even the 4-player split-screen and system link play? How about 2 player co-op?

Halo ain't Halo without those things.

I don't think there will be versus multiplayer, but there will be co-op.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChubbyGuy40

what FPS game that doesn't have neither system?Mystery_Writer

Counter Strike. Its MP is infinitely superior.

markko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 markko84
Member since 2011 • 212 Posts

Halo is the essence of everything that is bad on today's first person shooter scene.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mystery_Writer
[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

JohnF111

It was better than suddenly regrowing arms and legs after a few seconds.

so regrowing arms & legs from 1 health point immediately to 100 after picking up a med kit is better than regrowing them after few seconds?
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JohnF111

Halo is the essence of everything bad on today's first person shooter scene.

markko84
Haha theres a way to look at it, if Halo is so vital then Halo must be responsible for the flooding of FPS games and DLC... it all roots from Halo :lol:
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JohnF111
[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"][QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"] you like the 90's era health packs?

It was better than suddenly regrowing arms and legs after a few seconds.

so regrowing arms & legs from 1 health point immediately to 100 after picking up a med kit is better than regrowing them after few seconds?

I edited my post and i admit both systems suck and i'd rather do without.
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 moose_knuckler

[QUOTE="moose_knuckler"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

I want the whole kit and kaboodle...I already own Halo Reach. (Two copies in fact for LAN) :)

I certainly don't want Reach again, since I already own it. But yeah, I would like the old Halo game, redone in HD for MP.

This is still shocking to hear when I constantly see people agree how badly FPS have aged. So many CE maps could take advantage of so many of the new mechanics introduced after CE.

markko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 markko84
Member since 2011 • 212 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"] what FPS game that doesn't have neither system?ChubbyGuy40

Counter Strike. Its MP is infinitely superior.

What I like about CS, is that no matter what you say, you can critize an whole lot of its aspects.. but nobody can deny.. its pure skill as it gets.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mystery_Writer

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"] what FPS game that doesn't have neither system?ChubbyGuy40

Counter Strike. It's MP is infinitely superior.

But so is Halo multiplayer (Halo Team Swat, and Slayer Pro). Are you saying you wish the SP campaign to have no regenerative health? If so, do you know of any FPS that has its SP without a regenerative health or health packs?
MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

Halo CE has my favorite Campaign and Multiplayer still out of all the Halo games. Loved playing Halo 1 online on PC, and on system link on the original Xbox.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mystery_Writer
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] It was better than suddenly regrowing arms and legs after a few seconds.

do without in multiplayer is available in Halo. But do you know of any FPS that do without in its SP campaign?
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 moose_knuckler
[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] It was better than suddenly regrowing arms and legs after a few seconds.JohnF111

What kind of system do you want? Get shot once or twice on the battlefield and wait for a medic to come?
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JohnF111
[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"] so regrowing arms & legs from 1 health point immediately to 100 after picking up a med kit is better than regrowing them after few seconds?moose_knuckler

What kind of system do you want? Get shot once or twice on the battlefield and wait for a medic to come?

No, get shot and the damage stays, no health packs, no refills... No regeneration. Thats what i want instead of all this run and gunning rubbish Halo has given its hand in creating apparently.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

G4 says lots of things... when did SW start listening to them? :?

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mystery_Writer

No, get shot and the damage stays, no health packs, no refills... No regeneration. Thats what i want instead of all this run and gunning rubbish Halo has given its hand in creating apparently.JohnF111
do you know that Halo MP has what you want? (i.e. get shot and no regenerative health / health packs)

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
[QUOTE="moose_knuckler"][QUOTE="JohnF111"] I edited my post and i admit both systems suck and i'd rather do without.JohnF111

No, get shot and the damage stays, no health packs, no refills... No regeneration. Thats what i want instead of all this run and gunning rubbish Halo has given its hand in creating apparently.

Thank god for Counter Strike.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ChubbyGuy40

But so is Halo multiplayer (Halo Team Swat, and Slayer Pro). Are you saying you wish the SP campaign to have no regenerative health? If so, do you know of any FPS that has its SP without a regenerative health or health packs?Mystery_Writer

Pretty sure ArmA II doesn't.

That doesn't solve Halo's crap gameplay though. Controller and competitive in FPS? Contradiction IMO.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mystery_Writer

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]But so is Halo multiplayer (Halo Team Swat, and Slayer Pro). Are you saying you wish the SP campaign to have no regenerative health? If so, do you know of any FPS that has its SP without a regenerative health or health packs?ChubbyGuy40

Pretty sure ArmA II doesn't.

That doesn't solve Halo's crap gameplay though. Controller and competitive in FPS? Contradiction IMO.

so the only FPS single player that isn't crap in your opinion is Arma II?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChubbyGuy40

so the only FPS single player that isn't crap in your opinion is Arma II?Mystery_Writer

You asked for a SP FPS that doesn't have regenerating health or med packs and I provided one.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mystery_Writer

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"] so the only FPS single player that isn't crap in your opinion is Arma II?ChubbyGuy40

You asked for a SP FPS that doesn't have regenerating health or med packs and I provided one.

And I'm glad u did answer that question. However, this question is related to you not liking FPS games with regenerative health/ health packs, and since so far it's only one game (or perhaps a couple) that doesn't do that. I was wondering do you not like any other FPS single player game beside ArmA II?
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

ChubbyGuy40

On the one hand you complain about the two weapon limit, but on the other hand you say it is unrealistic that you can regenerate health? How many weapons do you think someone can "realistically" carry? Besides, your two complaints are things that exist in nearly every FPS, which actually proves Halo's influence, which is the point of the thread.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jurassic85
Oh and also, I agree with those who said that Goldeneye has had more influence than Halo, initially. Halo has been a staple in gaming with new releases on a regular basis. Goldeneye definitely got it all started, but Halo has longevity and innovation on its side. The recent installment of Goldeneye was a huge disappointment.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ChubbyGuy40

However, this question is related to you not liking FPS games with regenerative health/ health packs, and since so far it's only one game (or perhaps a couple) that doesn't do that. I was wondering do you not like any other FPS single player game beside ArmA II?Mystery_Writer

Oh no I do, but I'd rather they didn't. Can't think of them all right now, but some games like Duke Nukem Forever, I really wish they didn't have regen health.

On the one hand you complain about the two weapon limit, but on the other hand you say it is unrealistic that you can regenerate health? How many weapons do you think someone can "realistically" carry? Besides, your two complaints are things that exist in nearly every FPS, which actually proves Halo's influence, which is the point of the thread.

Jurassic85

With games like Halo, that are wanna-be casual arena shooters, 2 weapon limits does not fit. If it wants to be Quake or UT, which it does and even CoD does, it can't have 2-weapon limit. Modern Military shooters are fine. One rifle, one sidearm, other stuff. I never said it was unrealisitc that you can regenerate health in that post, but they shouldn't be in modern-setting games. And GJ missing what I said, which was "for the better." Sorry, but a player shouldn't be able to run and hide just so restore health. Take your death like a man instead of running away.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mystery_Writer

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Jurassic85

i think he just doesn't like halo for some other reasons as his most favorite game is Crysis that he scored a 10 despite having the negatives he claimed he disliked about Halo.

While on the other hand he scored CS:S and ArmA II an 8.5 despite having all the positives he claimed Halo lacks.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ChubbyGuy40

i think he just doesn't like halo for some other reasons as his most favorite game is Crysis that he scored a 10 despite having the negatives he claimed he disliked about Halo. While on the other hand he scored CS:S and ArmA II an 8.5 despite having all the positives he claimed Halo lacks. And also he scoredMystery_Writer

Never said it was bad for Halo to have those things, but their influence on their genre is for the worst. It did not better it.

Vaultl101egend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Vaultl101egend
Member since 2011 • 258 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]i think he just doesn't like halo for some other reasons as his most favorite game is Crysis that he scored a 10 despite having the negatives he claimed he disliked about Halo. While on the other hand he scored CS:S and ArmA II an 8.5 despite having all the positives he claimed Halo lacks. And also he scoredChubbyGuy40

Never said it was bad for Halo to have those things, but their influence on their genre is for the worst. It did not better it.

But that's not the point of this post. The post isn't, "Halo Multiplayer made everything better," it's "Halo had a strong impact with todays Multiplayer universe."

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChubbyGuy40

But that's not the point of this post. The post isn't, "Halo Multiplayer made everything better," it's "Halo had a strong impact with todays Multiplayer universe."

Vaultl101egend

and I'm saying that impact was for the worst.

MasonLovak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MasonLovak
Member since 2011 • 741 Posts
I didn't know it had any impact at all :?
Vaultl101egend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vaultl101egend
Member since 2011 • 258 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaultl101egend"]

ChubbyGuy40

and I'm saying that impact was for the worst.

"How? The only game that uses Halo multiplayer...is Halo. What exactly did it change for the better or do first? Regenerating health all the time? Not better. 2 weapon limit? Not better. Vehicles? I think there were PC games with those before."

Your first post.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jurassic85

With games like Halo, that are wanna-be casual arena shooters, 2 weapon limits does not fit. If it wants to be Quake or UT, which it does and even CoD does, it can't have 2-weapon limit. Modern Military shooters are fine. One rifle, one sidearm, other stuff. I never said it was unrealisitc that you can regenerate health in that post, but they shouldn't be in modern-setting games. And GJ missing what I said, which was "for the better." Sorry, but a player shouldn't be able to run and hide just so restore health. Take your death like a man instead of running away.ChubbyGuy40

If you are playing Halo and your enemy is able to run away and regenerate health to avoid you killing them, you seriously need to reevaluate your strategy. That' s not a deficiency in the game's design, that's poor ability on your part. Besides, what's wrong with a player using a tactical move? Shooters shouldn't be all about brawn, there should be brains involved. Its the reason why its more fun to play against a human than it is against bots, humans are smarter. Shame on players for using cover and knowing when they can't win an engagement.

And actually yes you did say that it was unrealistic, when you said that it was "BS". Lastly I find it laughable that you claim Halo is unrealistic for only allowing players to carry two guns, but then you mention Unreal Tournament as superior. I love UT, but I would hardly call it realistic.

Avatar image for devilsoultaker2
devilsoultaker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 devilsoultaker2
Member since 2009 • 904 Posts
Halo Reach matchmaking gametypes : Arena Slayer 2v2 Slayer 2v2 Slayer DMRs 2v2 Oddball 2v2 King Power Slayer Speedpile Speedflag HaloBall HaloBall Xtreme Hockey Shotty Snipers Splockets BOOM! Ball Hog-Potato Shotgun Assault Dino Blasters Rocket CTF Classic Slayer Classic Rifles Classic Assault Classic CTF Classic King Classic Oddball Grifball Grifball Evolved FF Limited Genny Limited Crashsite LTD Legendary LTD Arcadefight Rocketfight Sniperfight Plasmafight Nadefight Fistfight FRGfight Fiestafight 2X Score Attack Arcadefight FF Limited Slayer Slayer Pro Slayer DMRs Elite Slayer Bro Slayer Headhunter Oddball Crazy King Juggernaut Infection Alpha Zombies Squad Slayer Squad Slayer DMRs MLG Bomb MLG Bomb Sanc MLG CTF 3 MLG CTF 5 MLG Team Slayer MLG Territories MLG King SWAT SWAT Magnums SWAT Oddball SWAT Stockpile SWAT 3 Plots Snipers Snipers Pro 1 Flag CTF 1 Flag Pro Multiflag CTF 2 Flag Pro 2 Flag Classic Neutral Bomb 1 Bomb Assault Team Hot Potato 3 Plots 3 Ball Team Headhunter Rocket Hog Race Big Team Slayer BTB Snipers Stockpile Territories Assault One Bomb Assault Neutral Bomb Assault Invasion Invasion Slayer CO-OP CAMPAIGN Score Attack ( 1 player leaderboard ) Gruntpocalypse ( 1 player leaderboard ) Skirmiggedon ( 1 player leaderboard ) Crash Site ( 1 player leaderboard ) Sniper Attack ( 1 player leaderboard ) Rocket Attack ( 1 player leaderboard ) FRG Attack ( 1 player leaderboard ) Fiesta Attack ( 1 player leaderboard ) Mythic Attack ( 1 player leaderboard ) you can hate Halo as much as you want but there has to be a gametype for you