Ghost of Tsushima hits 9.73 million copies sold!

• 80 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45276 Posts

https://www.eurogamer.net/ghost-of-tsushima-has-sold-almost-ten-million-copies-since-launch

Ghost of Tsushima has sold almost ten million copies since it launched in July 2020.

As part of the two-year anniversary celebrations, developer Sucker Punch revealed a number of stats about how we've played the game, including news that 9.73 million copies have been sold since it released in the summer of 2020.

Other intriguing stats include the news that since launch, players have taken 78 million photos, played 91.4 million Legends mode missions, hosted 540.8 million duels, and seen a staggering 998.5 million standoffs.

Perhaps more importantly, though, we've petted 75.18 million foxes and spent a collective 6437.4 years on horseback.

"This weekend marks two years since the release of #GhostOfTsushima!" the team tweeted. "We are blown away by all of the support since then and so grateful for all of you! Thank you to everyone who has played and shared this journey with us!"

Sucker Punch confirmed in April that it had stopped "actively working" on additional patches and content for Ghost of Tsushima.

Sucker Punch - which was bought by Sony back in 2011 - recently confirmed it has "no plans to revisit" its Infamous or Sly Cooper franchises.

In a blog celebrating the studio's 25th anniversary earlier this month, the team said that whilst it was "proud to look back on the legacy of characters and stories" it had created, it is now focused "on [its] current project".

"As we approach 25 years since Sucker Punch first opened, we’re proud to look back on the legacy of characters and stories we’ve created, from Rocket: Robot on Wheels to Sly Cooper and infamous, and most recently Ghost of Tsushima," the developer said.

Wow, congrats to Sucker Punch and Sony for making a very successful new IP! We don’t see a ton of new IPs these days, so it’s quite the accomplishment. Wouldn’t you agree, SW? Have you played Ghost of Tsushima? Want to? And are you looking forward to the next one?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69862 Posts

Cool, 6% of PS4 and PS5 gamers that spans across 137 million consoles. That is quite an achievement. 😎

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic

🤔 can wannabe developer make a new ip that sells 9.7 copies 🤔

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pedro

Triggered by the facts.😂

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1613 Posts

This game did very well for a new IP. Consider that The Last of Us II got similar sales when it was hyped up more than Ghost of Tsushima.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44321 Posts

Haven’t played it myself yet but I wouldn’t mind grabbing this sometime down the road. Currently have other games ahead of it on my “To buy” list.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Pedro

@Archangel3371: It is a solid game that plays like Assassin's Creed just with a Japanese theme. Too bad 94% of PS4/5 gamers didn't care for it.☹️

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39258 Posts

Nintendo should learn from Sony how to make new IP's. Their library is from 1991 still.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44321 Posts

@Pedro: Yeah, the stuff I’ve seen on the game does look quite good.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

@mazuiface said:

This game did very well for a new IP. Consider that The Last of Us II got similar sales when it was hyped up more than Ghost of Tsushima.

and at least on retail Tsushima retained its price way longer than tlou2, which was like 20bucks in a year

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56237 Posts

Really happy hearing Ghost of Tsushima achieved 9.73 million copies and it's miles better than any AC game I played in recent times. That said, it's still my fav PS4 game and got more enjoyment than TLOU2 to say the least.

I really hope Ghost of Tsushima comes to PC so Sucker Punch can get more sales and I'll be happy to double-dip.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blaznwiipspman1  Online
Member since 2007 • 16569 Posts

@Pedro: well it's rare to see such numbers. Even Belden ring will never hit those kinds of attachment rates reaching 15% at best. You only get 40% or 50% for nintendo games like Mario kart and animal crossing.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blaznwiipspman1  Online

I played a bit of got, and it's very formulaic, but I did love the setting, and art style.

Actually I own the ps4 version. Too bad they don't give you free upgrades like the xbox does. Greedy sony.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

Great game but I would still like to see them return to inFAMOUS. I wonder if a new title could even hit those sales numbers in today's gaming climate.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Bad video game, sells copies

More at 11

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Far creed japan

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

I played a bit of got, and it's very formulaic, but I did love the setting, and art style.

Actually I own the ps4 version. Too bad they don't give you free upgrades like the xbox does. Greedy sony.

Sony gives us games.. Xbox gives us.. indie game rentals 😎

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen  Online

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

You love TLOU, UC, GOT. Are you an undercover cow by any chance?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3482 Posts

This is excellent news for Playstation. I have yet to play this game

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

The game is pretty much paint by numbers, but overall it's a decent experience.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen  Online

I hope they don't waste time on a sequel, but i bet you they will. This is not the kind of open world games i want to see filling up my system's yearly library.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:

I hope they don't waste time on a sequel, but i bet you they will. This is not the kind of open world games i want to see filling up my system's yearly library.

Lol I’m glad you don’t run the video game world

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

Great game, well deserved. Bring on 2.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2253 Posts

I mean, it probably doesn’t score many points for originality, but nonetheless a great well crafted game, that ( unlike most open world games) actually gets better instead of worse the longer you progress in it!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

Yep, one of the best new IP's in along time.

The atomphere is breathtaking.

Loading Video...

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6943 Posts

I honestly enjoyed this game so much more then any Assassin's creed game. The combat alone was miles better.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

This is my favorite assassins creed game. Bring on some more baby.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

If i did, i wouldn't be rehashing old games.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mazuiface

@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

My thoughts exactly.
What about a sequel would be a waste? A lot of people liked it -- Animal Crossing did really well even though it's not my type of game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@mazuiface said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

My thoughts exactly.

What about a sequel would be a waste? A lot of people liked it -- Animal Crossing did really well even though it's not my type of game.

What would be a waste is that this is nothing else but another AssCreed, AssCreed in Japan this time around. We've had an AssCreed pounding since 2007 from Ubisoft, the worst company on planet Earth. Now we have Sony joining the fun with Horizon and This. Disgusting.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mazuiface

@hardwenzen: Ehh. I think it just comes off as being sort of mean - some people get mad about their fav games not doing as well compared to popular titles. There's a guy in another thread who seemingly can't take the fact that Elden Ring outdid CoD Vanguard and will outdo MW2. I get this way about Returnal too to be fair, because that game deserves the sales numbers Ghost of Tsushima got really.

Anyway, Ghost of Tsushima is a slightly different take on that formula and I don't think it's fair to compare them 1:1 like that.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MirkoS77

@warmblur said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Yep, one of the best new IP's in along time.

The atomphere is breathtaking.

Absolutely, one of the best looking games I've seen in a while. Anticipating what they will be able to do with the PS5.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MirkoS77
@hardwenzen said:
@mazuiface said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

My thoughts exactly.

What would be a waste is that this is nothing else but another AssCreed, AssCreed in Japan this time around. We've had an AssCreed pounding since 2007 from Ubisoft, the worst company on planet Earth. Now we have Sony joining the fun with Horizon and This. Disgusting.

Never understood these AC comparisons. Tenuously, at best.

Ubi packs their ACs with so much irrelevant filler garbage, simply to push players towards embracing monetization. They’re an absolute slog to wade through. Sure, GoT borrows from elements AC helped pioneer earlier on in the genre, but there’s really nothing wrong with that formula if it is done well, and GoT executes on it well. Its pacing is excellent and never feels superfluous, and the continuance of the story always feels to be the driving impetus. It’s what I feel the developers want me to pursue and experience, and I never need to grind to do so.

AC? Despite the surface similarities in structure, the feeling I get while playing ACs is not towards the conclusion of the creative endeavor, but instead an encouragement to embrace capitalistic enterprise at the expense of that endeavor. They feel fundamentally different.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mazuiface

@MirkoS77 said:

Ubi packs their ACs with so much irrelevant filler garbage, simply to push players towards embracing monetization. They’re an absolute slog to wade through. Sure, GoT borrows from elements AC helped pioneer earlier on in the genre, but there’s really nothing wrong with that formula if it is done well, and GoT executes on it well. Its pacing is excellent and never feels superfluous, and the continuance of the story always feels to be the driving impetus. It’s what I feel the developers want me to pursue and experience, and I never need to grind to do so.

AC? Despite the surface similarities in structure, the feeling I get while playing ACs is not towards the conclusion of the creative endeavor, but instead an encouragement to embrace capitalistic enterprise at the expense of that endeavor. They feel fundamentally different.

I always thought of Ghost of Tsushima taking it more in the direction of Nioh, where the content isn't just to keep you busy but it also helps with the immersion in the story line and has nice tie-ins with Japanese culture/mythology.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20131 Posts

Well deserved. This game was a treat and my 2020 GOTY.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hardwenzen  Online

@MirkoS77 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@mazuiface said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

My thoughts exactly.

Empty open world with 213987912 camps/basses to take over and collect stupid collectibles as your reward for exploration. I mean, this is as bad as it gets for open world titles. Unplayble garbage is the only way to describe these kind of games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@davillain: I played Assassin's Creed Origin right before i played Ghost Of Tsushima and GoT is painfully similar.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MirkoS77

@mazuiface said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I always thought of Ghost of Tsushima taking it more in the direction of Nioh, where the content isn't just to keep you busy but it also helps with the immersion in the story line and has nice tie-ins with Japanese culture/mythology.

Can't much comment on that as I haven't played Nioh all that much (mostly because I suck balls at it), but agreed, GoT does a good job of aiding the narrative and exploration of the culture and mythology.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SolidGame_basic

Calling a Sony game an AC clone = lazy fanboy argument 😄

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MirkoS77
@hardwenzen said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@mazuiface said:

Empty open world with 213987912 camps/basses to take over and collect stupid collectibles as your reward for exploration. I mean, this is as bad as it gets for open world titles. Unplayble garbage is the only way to describe these kind of games.

No disagreement that there are similarities with AC; the game does use its formula to structure its gameplay loop around. It's a tiresome trend, the difference is, you really don't need to do all that crap to finish the game. It'll make it harder, but it can be done if you don't want to bother and just pursue the story. Aside, the combat in GoT is highly enjoyable for an open-world game, so it lessens the tedium of these activities (at least IMO).

With AC, Ubi has gutted this franchise to become a shell for exploitative monetization. The reason their games are so big and filled with "content" is so it affords them the ability to say, "See? You don't HAVE to pay money, you can finish the game without it! (subtext: just have fun grinding through 213987912 camps/bases, sucker...)".

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@MirkoS77: I don't get this monetization claim because there was never a need for me throughout Origin. I participated in sidequests because I wanted to. I am not sure where this claim that there is a continuous reminder to pay money that you are referring to. The design of both games are so similar that it is ridiculous to claim it is not or that one is gutted. It seems that the theme allowed gamers that are fascinated with Japan were able to ignore the near carbon copy formula. That doesn't make the game bad but the double standard reads silly.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MirkoS77
@Pedro said:

@MirkoS77: I don't get this monetization claim because there was never a need for me throughout Origin. I participated in sidequests because I wanted to. I am not sure where this claim that there is a continuous reminder to pay money that you are referring to. The design of both games are so similar that it is ridiculous to claim it is not or that one is gutted. It seems that the theme allowed gamers that are fascinated with Japan were able to ignore the near carbon copy formula. That doesn't make the game bad but the double standard reads silly.

Had you not wanted to participate in that side quest (or any side quest), could you have proceeded with finishing the game, or would you have needed to resort to Helix in order to do so? If so, they're not optional side quests, are they, regardless of your willingness to engage in them? I'm not claiming there's constant reminders tossed the player's way, I'm arguing the very design of the game is based upon the encouragement of embracing monetization. If you strip the game down to its core level of progression, can it be completed without side missions and without paying a cent of real money?

I've also not argued that the games aren't similar, in fact I've said opposite, but I've made no double standard because the basis I'm arguing about is one game made incorporating monetization, and one without. Hell if GoT deserves to be thrown into that capitalistic cesspit of exploitative game design.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pedro

@MirkoS77: What prevented the player from doing the main quest and only the main quest in AC Origin?

Edit: I had no recollection of Helix during my playthrough in Origins and I had to research what it was just now. So, the answer to your question is yes, you can finish the game without using Helix. I did the same thing I did in GoT, that is find things in the world to upgrade my weapons and armor.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MirkoS77
@Pedro said:

@MirkoS77: What prevented the player from doing the main quest and only the main quest in AC Origin?

Origins isn't the only AC game on the market, and at 2017, it is somewhat old (the WYSIWYG editor isn't working, so I can't link or do italics):

"The second time I've seen this happen was less so in AC: Origins and more so in AC: Odyssey. AC: Odyssey had levels and levelled enemies, and the game intentionally crippled your experience so that you would buy "boosters". The game was intentionally crippled and stripped off a regular progression like any other RPG would give you to make the grind twice as long if you're not willing to pay 10 bucks. Now AC: Valhalla has come out and it's clear Ubisoft is not planning on letting up on this trend if you look at the reviews and people's experiences.

In general the trend seems to be that they offer the player something akin to cheat codes to progress faster. However, this is only what it seems like. In reality, the game's progression is intentionally crippled to the point where it's not as fun to play or grindy like it should only be if it was free or multiplayer. Then you pay money to bring the progression back to what it would be in any normal $60 game."

------------------------------

Are you going to deny that newer Assassin's Creed games do this? That these comparisons to GoT in more foundational design aspects are invalid in this comparison? The newer games in the AC franchise are doing precisely what I'm arguing, so to me it's silly that you are selecting one game (when they were just beginning to implement this) to refute what I'm arguing. Do it with present ACs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pedro

@MirkoS77: As I have stated, I played AC Origin right before Ghost Of Tsushima. I cannot comment on the newer AC games and I have explicitly reference the AC game I played that I was comparing it to and did not experience the issues you stated. So, when folks claim that Ghost Of Tsushima is nothing like AC or "Never understood these AC comparisons. Tenuously, at best.", it rings patently false.

You have and are refuting how similar the two games are in one breath and then claiming you agree that they are structurally similar when called out on the previous claim.🤷‍♂️

Why is it silly to select a specific AC game that does not match your claim? Isn't that the point of refuting? Isn't it a clearer argument to state the games being compared than a blanket statement for the entire series?

It is clear that if you view the AC formula(for whichever game in the series) as bad that any comparison to AC is viewed as a negative or a jab on Ghost Of Tsushima.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 759 Posts

No surprises

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MirkoS77
@Pedro said:

@MirkoS77: As I have stated, I played AC Origin right before Ghost Of Tsushima. I cannot comment on the newer AC games and I have explicitly reference the AC game I played that I was comparing it to and did not experience the issues you stated. So, when folks claim that Ghost Of Tsushima is nothing like AC or "Never understood these AC comparisons. Tenuously, at best.", it rings patently false.

You have and are refuting how similar the two games are in one breath and then claiming you agree that they are structurally similar when called out on the previous claim.🤷‍♂️

Why is it silly to select a specific AC game that does not match your claim? Isn't that the point of refuting? Isn't it a clearer argument to state the games being compared than a blanket statement for the entire series?

It is clear that if you view the AC formula(for whichever game in the series) as bad that any comparison to AC is viewed as a negative or a jab on Ghost Of Tsushima.

My original argument has always been predicated upon the comparison between the exploitative model that the AC franchise has become a shell for, and I've made no illusions as to otherwise. It is a false comparison to hold GoT to that despite the very obvious similarities in framework between the two games that AC established before the embracement of this business philosophy.

Tsushima is nothing like it, at all. It has no monetization, it does not structure itself in such a manner as to enforce grinding to encourage the embracement of this business model Ubi has turned to, it has no superfluous, irrelevant side filler to pad the game out to encourage more spending. None of it, and in this instance (as we've debated this previously), in GaaS, business philosophies DO directly impact game design. And why is it silly to select a specific AC game that does not match my claim? Because this is what AC games currently are, and if people are going to claim a game like GoT (a relatively recent release) analogous to AC, you don't get to suddenly convenience your argument in this comparison by appealing to a past game where it lacks certain design tenets it currently holds so the argument can suddenly hold weight. That only goes to prove how it never did, at least not in how I was claiming them dissimilar.

So no, it is not incompatible for me to concede similarities in structure while also refuting such a fundamentally flawed comparison that extends to the very core of both games' designs. Much deeper than just completing map markers, clearing bases, and redundant activities AC long ago established. Things that I also don't necessarily qualify as "bad" either, they're functional, and arguably still enjoyable to many or it wouldn't sell....they are just a bit creatively stagnant and need revision and innovation (which I do believe GoT also does in certain areas....the Guiding Wind, for one example).

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blaznwiipspman1  Online

@hardwenzen: I'm a gamer. I might hate on the Playstation but doesn't mean there aren't some great games out there. As for GoT, I loved the art style and the setting in Japan, and i enjoyed the game itself but i wouldn't say i loved it.

Just like tlou2 is a solid game worth playing despite how badly ND trashed it.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 blaznwiipspman1  Online

@SolidGame_basic: they remastered the game for ps5, and charged people $70 for it. They even had the balls to call it a directors cut. You know how MS handles next gen upgrades?? They treat it as a patch. GoW5 next gen was literally given away free to anyone with series SX without making a big deal out of it.