Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7223 Posts

It appears the actors were asked to not play the games as they prepared for their roles for the tv show. Actress Bella Ramsey recalls "after my first audition, they asked me, 'have you played it?' And I said 'nope', and they said, 'keep it that way'". I think this is genius, we need a fresh take on The Last of Us story, i always felt the story kinda sucked and was boring at times. But since they arent being bound by the source, they can actually turn The Last of Us into a great Walking Dead and start Game of Thronesing characters left and right. I want to see them bodies dropping like flies.

Now this might make butthurt fans upset, " Yes, don’t do any research on the game that millions of people love so we can make it completely different and the only thing that’s the same is the name. " Them weirdos arent gonna watch it anyway, theyre gonna post 1/10 reviews on media sites and call it a day. So no sense in even trying to cater to them, they wouldnt know a good story even it was written by Ernest Hemingway himself.

What say you system warriors, are yall ready to turn the batched story around and await greatness?

Source

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46487 Posts

What's the date for the premiere?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

I don't think you're a real person. I'm pretty sure you're an AI that was coded to say the most asinine things for the sole purpose of annoying PlayStation fans. That's the only explanation we have for any of this.

"I think this is genius, we need a fresh take on The Last of Us story, i always felt the story kinda sucked and was boring at times"

There's hot takes but then there's this statement which is on a whole other level

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mesome713

@R4gn4r0k: No date yet, coming in 2023.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

I'm ok with them not replaying the story in TV form.

What they should do is keep the characters and lore, otherwise it isn't TLOU

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39385 Posts

This tv show will destroy any Nintendo shows. Nvm Nintendo doesn't have any cuz if they had any it'd be too childish for HBO.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mesome713

@navyguy21: From the trailer it appears theyre doing that. But then doing their own thing on how the story is told. It looks awesome, its got that Walking Dead feel.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8495 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:

I don't think you're a real person. I'm pretty sure you're an AI that was coded to say the most asinine things for the sole purpose of annoying PlayStation fans. That's the only explanation we have for any of this.

"I think this is genius, we need a fresh take on The Last of Us story, i always felt the story kinda sucked and was boring at times"

There's hot takes but then there's this statement which is on a whole other level

What's so great about the TLOU story?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MysticalDonut
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

TLOU's story is generally considered to be the best aspect of the game. The sequel created so much controversy because they pretty much shit all over the first game's story and what made that game so memorable.

But to answer your question.... while TLOU had a generic "zombie apocalypse, we must find a cure" plotline, the actual storyline is about Joel's grief and the effects of it. The game connected with so many people because he was a father in anguish still mourning the loss of his daughter decades later and learning to love not only others, but himself, again through Ellie. And while this isn't a super original idea by any stretch of the imagination, the game was brought to life by some of the best writers, animators and voice actors the industry had to offer at the time.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

I don't know and I have played and enjoyed the game.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mesome713

@mysticaldonut: What made its story so good? It just a generic post-apocalyptic story that weve seen a thousand times.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MysticalDonut

@mesome713 said:

@mysticaldonut: What made its story so good? It just a generic post-apocalyptic story that weve seen a thousand times.

Answered above

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mesome713

@mysticaldonut: It was ok for a video game story, but as a story story, no. Its generic. Heres a good video of how bad the game tells its stories.

Loading Video...
MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MysticalDonut

@mesome713: You realize Dartigan is mostly satire, right?

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

TLOU's story is generally considered to be the best aspect of the game. The sequel created so much controversy because they pretty much shit all over the first game's story and what made that game so memorable.

But to answer your question.... while TLOU had a generic "zombie apocalypse, we must find a cure" plotline, the actual storyline is about Joel's grief and the effects of it. The game connected with so many people because he was a father in anguish still mourning the loss of his daughter decades later and learning to love not only others, but himself, again through Ellie. And while this isn't a super original idea by any stretch of the imagination, the game was brought to life by some of the best writers, animators and voice actors the industry had to offer at the time.

How can they be some of the best writers when all they can come up with is something that isn't a super original idea?

What your saying is that Joel has a good story arc and character development.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@mesome713: You're not used to good stories in games so who cares what you think troll.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

Meh. Can’t say that I have an interest in watching this either way. 🤷‍♂️

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@pc_rocks: before someone explains and you crap all over their explanations, what makes a good gaming story? There's plenty of soulless Xbox and PC titles for you to wank so you're wasting your time here.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mesome713

@mysticaldonut: He shows why you cant use the game as source material, its pretty bad at story telling. It would not work on TV.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52448 Posts

Not necessary. Just write a zombie story. There's a cure somewhere. People turn out to be the real threat. And so on.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mesome713

@freedomfreak: They better change the whole We need to kill her to make a cure.

All you need is a sample to make a vaccine.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MysticalDonut

@thedork_knight said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

How can they be some of the best writers when all they can come up with is something that isn't a super original idea?

What your saying is that Joel has a good story arc and character development.

She explains it way better than I can

Loading Video...

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MysticalDonut
@mesome713 said:

@mysticaldonut: He shows why you cant use the game as source material, its pretty bad at story telling. It would not work on TV.

TV and games are different mediums. Obviously they will adapt the story to be more suited to fit a television series

Based on the set photos we've seen and the characters they've announced it appears the TV show will more or less follow the same story as the games, at least in the beginning

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mesome713

@mysticaldonut: Yeah, they wont make the mistakes the games do in telling the story. The Last of Us does a very poor job on story telling. youd have to be pretty ditzy to miss all the plot holes and goofs the game has. Thats why they dont want them to play the games, their gonna change ALOT.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6982 Posts

Then why should they call it " The Last of Us"?

Just call it something else or do a different set of characters in the same universe. Regardless I have no interest in this.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PC_Rocks

@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

I asked you what was so special about TLOU's story or story telling not how it's generally considered to be the best. What's generally considered can be a nothing burger because a) people have bad taste or b) haven't had much experience with something good.

Oh and I'm not interested in the performance of actors and animations. The topic is about story. Or are you saying that the story it self is crap, run of the mill post apocalyptic stuff?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mesome713

@silentchief: The Last of Us is an epic title for a apocalyptic story.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PC_Rocks
@Sagemode87 said:

@pc_rocks: before someone explains and you crap all over their explanations, what makes a good gaming story? There's plenty of soulless Xbox and PC titles for you to wank so you're wasting your time here.

Unfortunately for you most Sony titles are 'soulless' because their stories and story telling is full of inconsistencies, if that's what you mean by soul of a game. Even though to me a soul of a game has to be it's gameplay. Don't be mad that you consider good voice acting or performance capture with a high production values to be a 'good story'. You probably also consider MCU/Star Wars having the best stories.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Silentchief

@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

I asked you what was so special about TLOU's story or story telling not how it's generally considered to be the best. What's generally considered can be a nothing burger because a) people have bad taste or b) haven't had much experience with something good.

Oh and I'm not interested in the performance of actors and animations. The topic is about story. Or are you saying that the story it self is crap, run of the mill post apocalyptic stuff?

Not sure what your standard for story telling but as far as games go the original " TlOU" was some of the best story telling in gaming. You ask what's special about it? It was good, like eally good. Compare other games in the genre. RE, Silent Hill etc... As much as I love RE the dialog was cringe at times. The game warranted emotions from people like few others. That's why it was special.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Silentchief
@mesome713 said:

@silentchief: The Last of Us is an epic title for a apocalyptic story.

Then add an additional title to it and use new characters.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

So it's last of us by name and characters only?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mesome713

@mycatismilk: Let’s hope.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

TLOU was a mediocre story carried by excellent directing.

As far as video games are concerned, it was outclassed by Planescape Torment, Mother 3, Portal and Gabriel Knight, and more.

And yes, making a new plot is for the best.

Just look at every recent success when gaming hits TV, it is never a retelling, but rather a new story with the same characters and world.

Arcane certainly isnt based on a LoL match, CastleVania keeps the fight against dracula, and 3 of the main characters, but is otherwise a different storyline. Sonic and Detective Pikachu used the worlds of their source material, but stuck with its own narrative. Angry Birds 2 has nothing to do with the actual siege gameplay of the game it is based on. And Werewolves within has barely anything to do with the game it is based on.

Try to retell the story and it is far too easy to fall into the crutch (you should play the game and you will understand). A crutch that resulted in the Warcraft movie being very mediocre.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

Hopefully it covers and checks off every woke concern out there.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mesome713

@kvallyx: HBO invented woke 😉

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16577 Posts

@mesome713: this was the only way to go, because tlou2 story line was a disaster. TLOU1 was pretty standard story line of zombie apocalypse but the tragic backstory of joel, and the introduction of elle and her character development was great.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts

As long as Joel says the line. Preferably at least once per episode.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Cant blame them, who can write AAAA blockbuster stories like Naughty Dog?!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KvallyX

@Heil68 said:

Cant blame them, who can write AAAA blockbuster stories like Naughty Dog?!

The story in the new Saints Row was more enjoyable than the TLOU games.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KvallyX

@girlusocrazy said:
@mesome713 said:

HBO invented woke 😉

🤭 woke is just a word fragile snowflakes use to dismiss anything that might disturb their bubble

Is Karen woke?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KvallyX

@girlusocrazy said:

@kvallyx: Are people individuals who all process concepts and discourse in their own way and evolve their thinking over the course of their lives?

No. They live in a tunnel once they have determined their fate.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

You can already tell that by who they casted as Ellie, since when does Ellie have a giant ass forehead that could pick up Russian radio signals during the Cold War.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KvallyX

@Ballroompirate said:

You can already tell that by who they casted as Ellie, since when does Ellie have a giant ass forehead that could pick up Russian radio signals during the Cold War.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MysticalDonut

@silentchief said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Not sure what your standard for story telling but as far as games go the original " TlOU" was some of the best story telling in gaming. You ask what's special about it? It was good, like eally good. Compare other games in the genre. RE, Silent Hill etc... As much as I love RE the dialog was cringe at times. The game warranted emotions from people like few others. That's why it was special.

I gave him the perfect answer but someone who was never gonna play the game and just wants to hate on it isn't gonna care either way lol

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KvallyX

@mysticaldonut said:
@silentchief said:
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@pc_rocks said:

I gave him the perfect answer but someone who was never gonna play the game and just wants to hate on it isn't gonna care either way lol

I am playing through The Last of Us Part 1 Remake right now. I completed the game back when the remaster for the PS4 came out. Funny thing is, I don't remember the game at all with the exception of on mission, in a certain room that I was playing this weekend.

The story is not unique at all, but it's a solid story none the less. Solid, as it's enjoyable. Just nothing to write home about. I love the back and forth that Ellie has with Joel though. There are games with better stories (IMO). Mass Effect, the first Red Dead, GTA V, Alan Wake, Detroit Become Human, Heavy Rain, and Halo.

Uncharted is up there too.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PC_Rocks
@mysticaldonut said:

No, what you gave me was what you think a perfect answer is to DC its generic run of the mill story. So if the story is generic and well gameplay is sh*t and generic. What's then, oh yeah, it's just production values and acting. You lot wouldn't give it a second look if it didn't have those even with the same gameplay, same story and even same story telling. Oh and I did play it was was scratching my head all the way through the end wondering what's 'mature' or exceptional about it. Won't gonna do it for the sequel or any Sony title for that matter. All tries to pull the same sh*t with different coat of paint.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#49 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59169 Posts

Castlevania has largely fuckall to do with the game and it's great.

Not "le masterpeez" some folk are making out, the dialogue and voice acting is fucking terrible and the final season is a mess.

But it's pretty good, esp by vidya game standards.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10500 Posts

people scoff at tlou's gameplay but i defy you to name a game that has better plank placing mechanics. bin moving too. go ahead, try, you won't find one.

but even more seriously, one problem i have with tlou 1 and 2 is you don't get the chance to really soak in the environments and atmosphere because in every non action segment you're forced to scour every single nook and cranny to scavenge supplies. you don't do it by choice, or by curiosity to explore, or to examine the little details dotted about to understand more about the lore, you do it because you need some more sticky tape and scissors. apparently nd can't figure out a better way to equip you. let's hope the tv show isn't too faithful in that regard.

on topic im looking forward to the hbo show. it's from the same guy who wrote chernobyl the mini series which is one of my favourite shows. i'd say it's a bad thing theyre encouraging hiring based on whether or not they played the game. lets not forget when 343 started halo 4 and went out of their way to hire people who disliked halo or hadn't played it to try and bring new ideas to the series. that ended well didn't it