I don't understand why people play games Day One, especially on PC.

• 53 results
Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

I mean, it's like you're guaranteed to hit performance issues if you play day one, and you might hit SIGNIFICANT issues. Why not just wait a couple weeks or so for said issues to be ironed out? On PC this is especially true. And that's not a knock on PC gaming; I'm primarily a PC gamer. But if I'd been playing games day one all these years, my experiences would be severely damaged. I always give it two, three weeks (or longer) for patches to roll out before I put in time on a game.

What about you guys?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45292 Posts

PC is a whole different issue. I'm not sure why companies are releasing games that clearly aren't ready. As for console, it's not as common or severe. PC ports are an after thought these days. I'm just glad that consoles have caught up and are doing better than ever!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@SolidGame_basic said:

PC is a whole different issue. I'm not sure why companies are releasing games that clearly aren't ready. As for console, it's not as common or severe. PC ports are an after thought these days. I'm just glad that consoles have caught up and are doing better than ever!

It happens on console, but yeah, not usually as severe. The overall benefits of PC outweigh the compromise with more day one issues, though, by far.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39280 Posts

I just get the game on the ps5 if its broken on pc. Ez pz.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34690 Posts

Yeah, waiting usually means you get more stable games for a cheaper price. I usually do unless I'm very excited for a game. Which rarely happens nowadays.

@SolidGame_basic said:

I'm not sure why companies are releasing games that clearly aren't ready.

Because people buy them. They even buy them before they're released.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Feel like I'm continually hitting the gaming lotto, at least going by this forum.

Almost all of the horseshit that the modern industry does, garbo day 1 releases included, don't affect me lol. Shit seems to exclusively happen to games I would never be interested in anyways.

Past few years, only shakey day 1 releases I got were Nioh 2 and Elden Ring. And they were still fine lol. Nioh 2 had no real problems, just should've run even better given my setup. ER, those early game stutters. That's it.

Next day 1 purchase, TotK, expecting busted performance as it's on Switch. No amount of waiting will change its performance on that platform. After that, SF6. No worries there whatsoever.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59108 Posts

Last game done it with was RE8, the big vampire tits got to me.

Learned me lesson, no more dumb dumb.

Now get to sit back and laugh at people as their not working overpriced EA game doesn't work. And EA issues a shitty letter knowing full well it was broke, with game critics, more concerned about pissing off EA than reprimanding them.

(game totally fucking broken and £70, two lines bringing it up)

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ohhh. Ehhhhhhh. Ahhhhh.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3489 Posts

Take Tekken 7 for example:

• Tekken 7 Standard Edition
  • Tekken 7 Deluxe Edition
  • Tekken 7 Ultimate Edition
  • Tekken 7 Rematch Edition
  • Tekken 7 Legendary Edition
  • Tekken 7 Originals Edition
  • Tekken 7 Definitive Edition

Now how on earth is that justifiable? Absolute cash grab from Namco

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59108 Posts
@omegamaster said:

The consumer is ignorant. They have no morals. And the gaming media must suckle their teet and totally act like it's a good thing.

The publishers fav soup.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17844 Posts

Hype. Excitement for a new release. Getting sucked into the whole marketing operation. Good ol fashioned FOMO.

Really pre-ordering is stupid and playing it day one basically means you will be playing the worst version of the game. Pretty much the only company I am confident to buy games from day one is Nintendo. It's very very rare that their games are released with any serious issues.

The AAA sector especially seems to be completely incapable of releasing a game in a good state on any platform. I mean the state of releases on consoles is poor and that's a fixed spec. Games should not be having big performance issues on something that is a known quantity. At least on PC there is some excuse for the issues due to the sheer variety of hardware.

The state of these products at release is getting pretty ridiculous. The whole modern software development mantra of "Release early, release often, break things" is particularly unsuited to games and it really just leaves day 1 players as beta testers who pay full price. It's getting pretty stupid now at this stage.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34690 Posts

@omegamaster: Fighting games today man..

I have Tekken 7, but no idea which version or what it includes. Way too lazy to research (yeah, you have to do research) about what includes what and what it costs. Much easier to ignore it and play something else.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58413 Posts

The industry thrives on pre-orders.

If we want to change it, stop pre-ordering. Outside of some meaningless, superficial "bonuses", there is very little reason to pre-order anything.

Eventually we will get back to a place where games are "ready when they're ready" and developers will feel less pressure from publishers to rush a low-quality product out the door to meet pre-order demand.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 omegaMaster

@Litchie said:

@omegamaster: Fighting games today man..

I have Tekken 7, but no idea which version or what it includes. Way too lazy to research (yeah, you have to do research) about what includes what and what it costs. Much easier to ignore it and play something else.

Yeah. I had the standard edition. a few years down the line I got the Definitive edition on sale. Safe to say I got tricked!

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
@uninspiredcup said:
@omegamaster said:

The consumer is ignorant. They have no morals. And the gaming media must suckle their teet and totally act like it's a good thing.

The publishers fav soup.

Shame I was one of them :(

EA is another prime example.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1583 Posts

It's the exact reason PC gamers shouldn't be mad at Square for telling them to sit TF down and wait for a properly optimized PC version of Final Fantasy 16.

It may take over a year to get but it will save them the tears of crying about how the PS5 version is so much better the same way they did with TLOU Part 1.

This is another thing that makes me laugh at the PC fans who always scream for everything to be multiplatform. THIS is exactly the kind of clusterfuk you get when devs try to push out their games running on "everything" on day 1.

Focused attention to detail development on a single platform is one of the main reason why console exclusives overwhelmingly end up becoming GOTY.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50604 Posts

Only buy day 1 from dev I trust

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

I can't see the point in buying any games in the first few months. Unless your system is a barren wasteland for games, play something else and wait for a price drop.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1583 Posts
@sancho_panzer said:

I can't see the point in buying any games in the first few months. Unless your system is a barren wasteland for games, play something else and wait for a price drop.

1. The game potentially being far better than any alternative games you have in your library.

2. Developer with a proven track record of releasing high quality polished titles day 1.

3. Not getting the game spoiled by players and news articles revealing critical detials of the game that would have best been experience while playing.

There are definitely reason to buy games day 1.

The issue is not many games pass the first 2 requirements to warrant that leap. Luckily for console players, there are usually a few games that come out during a year that pass that criteria. Even for PC this year there is at least 1.

Switch: Zelda TOTK PS5: Spiderman 2 PC: Baldur's Gate III

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

My brother does this with The Callisto Protocol and Gotham Knights. He bought the Collector's edition for $300. Last game I bought on release was God of War Ragnarok last December. Plus with games dropping in price months later, I just play something in my backlog.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@girlusocrazy said:

Herms are starting to say the quiet part out loud.

And that's not a knock on PC gaming

I'm primarily a PC gamer. But if I'd been playing games day one all these years, my experiences would be severely damaged.

I mean, it's like you're guaranteed to hit performance issues if you play day one, and you might hit SIGNIFICANT issues.

I always give it two, three weeks (or longer) for patches to roll out before I put in time on a game.

Cast aside the tricknology and be free...

Lol, you put so much effort into this reply bruh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@girlusocrazy said:

@nod_calypse:

Complains about effort required put plays on PC...

Priorities, my man. It's called priorities.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@sancho_panzer said:

Pretty much. On PC I'm never hurting for games. It's usually easy to wait, as I'm always wrapped up in some other game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44332 Posts

I buy a fair amount of games day one and have never really had any major issues with them myself. Am just a console gamer though so those games tend to be much easier to be optimized. Feel that most games to be not terribly bad at launch though. It’s just some of the really bad ones of some high profile games such as Cyberpunk 2077, Gotham Knights, and now Jedi Survivor really raise a ruckus. The companies that have the most issues are EA, Activision, and Ubisoft and I just don’t buy much or any of their games Day One. Most of my Day One purchases tend to be from companies like Nintendo and Capcom and I largely have a very good experience from them.

As for waiting for games to be cheaper I’ll certainly do that but also a lot of times I’m also perfectly fine with paying the initial price as well. Not only because I’m just really interested in playing it but also because it can be very enjoyable being a part of everyone else experiencing the game for the first time. This is especially true for fighting games if you want to play online. I find it more fun to learn much of the ins and outs.

MK245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MK245
Member since 2012 • 128 Posts

I usually wait a year at least, due to backlog. If it's a console port even longer, if ever, since ports are usually even worse and take even longer to have a decent sale.

The only exception would be a multiplayer game where me and my friends agreed to get it on release, which is rare.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Until the industry moves to a "one license for all platforms", I'd rather not.

PS5 is a non-upgradable platform with a finite lifespan and no guarantees of next-gen support. On top of that console software is usually limited in configurability. (i know, i know... why don't I just shut the **** up and take what I'm given idk... but post-processing effects are dumb)

PS5 is reserved for devs like Squeenix with a history of sleezy cash grab exclusivity and spotty port record on PC. The middle of the venn diagram that overlaps with games I want to play that bad is very small. It's basically just FF7Reunion.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

Because if I want the game badly enough, I'm willing to deal with some bugs. It's not that complicated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@Renegade_Fury said:

Because if I want the game badly enough, I'm willing to deal with some bugs. It's not that complicated.

Yeah, but what about

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I feel like part of the reason console versions of games are often perceived to launch in a better state, is the standards are lower.

IMO, not being able to play a game at smooth 60+fps is unacceptable for modern gaming, regardless of the platform. lots of console games don't hit that mark these days and are perceived as "fine." previously a consistent 30fps was seen as a good console version. and its still seen as acceptable for "Quality" mode.

that is poverty gaming. I'm happy to wait for patches if it means I get to play games at a good frame rate without visual compromise. (though i'd much rather devs take the time to polish and optimize their games, even if it means delaying the PC version)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#33  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17838 Posts

Yup, paying the most money for the worst version of a game makes no sense. Best to wait for patches and discounts to avoid bad experiences.

I don't really get hyped for games these days due to getting burned in the past and always having plenty of games in the backlog. I don't pay much attention to release dates as I usually have no intention of buying a game day one anymore. I have developed the mentality of I will play it when I play it. No rush. I have never really cared about peer pressure or FOMO either. I just do my own thing.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14813 Posts

@with_teeth26: well put

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10490 Posts

do the occasional day one, but not on pc.

btw jedi fallen order ps5 update was unplayable in quality mode when it first released and perf mode looked same as ps4. hearing survivor has similar issues sounds like respawn just aren't great at optimising no matter the platform. that or they're under pressure to release prematurely

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Not every person is going to experience a particular issue or bug with a game contrary to how some impress upon the issue. If someone needs to wait weeks or months for a price drop, maybe gaming isn't the right hobby since iti can get awfully expensive.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#38  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17838 Posts
@Solaryellow said:

Not every person is going to experience a particular issue or bug with a game contrary to how some impress upon the issue. If someone needs to wait weeks or months for a price drop, maybe gaming isn't the right hobby since iti can get awfully expensive.

I don't like to pay full price for games when I can get them cheaper. This is more out of principle than not being able to afford them. I generally avoid games at launch as I can not stand technical issues ruining the quality. I will even do this for games on Game Pass which I do not have to buy. I play a game when I actually feel like it and not because it is being hyped. By the time I decide to play a game, it is usually cheaper or I can get a cheap key. This could be weeks or years after the game has released. This does bring up one of my pet peeves with Game Pass... A lot of third party games are only on the service for a limited time and I have played games that I wouldn't normally play at the time just because they were leaving soon. I am not a fan of this forced FOMO. Thankfully, you can always buy the game after, but it just shows that you are at the mercy of licensing agreements and Game Pass is not the most dependable service if you have lax playing habits.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

Not all games come out with bugs/ or bugs that make the game unplayable. Some you can play through because it's not a issue and get patched up within a week. Also people aren't use to developers releasing games with so many bugs. It wasn't a issue during PS3 era, there were a few games with issues. I think when the PS4 came out more games needed installs and we're buggy and needed to be patched. People this gen imo are realizing these 'developers' are relying on the internet too much and releasing buggy games. I think more people will hold off from purchasing games day 1 until more games are shown they are fully completed at launch. Hopefully they start releasing games like they were during the PS1/PS2 era.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Rather wait a week or two for it to get fixed than play it at 30 fps on medium via PS5.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39280 Posts

@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:

Rather wait a week or two for it to get fixed than play it at 30 fps on medium via PS5.

A week? More like years🤡

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1257 Posts

They're schmucks.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

The only games I usually buy day one are Nintendo first party games, which I know are generally pretty polished at release. Plus there are a couple of other devs I trust, such as Platinum.

I did buy Jedi Survivor day 1, which I normally wouldn't do. But I was really excited to play it & took a chance.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

If people decide to stop pre-ordering games, then this will encourage more devs to have pre-order exclusive content to re-encourage it.

If only it would encourage them to release non-broken games.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1265 Posts

Yeah, I don't preorder games. I did buy RE4 remake day 1 but that's because it had a demo.

Buying day 1 is almost always stupid, unless you run out of physical discs, which PC won't ever have a problem of.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 694 Posts

I don't buy on release, but have nothing against people that do. Live and let live.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@pclover1980: Once in a while I give in. Last time I did it, I think it was Bloodborne. Been a while, lol.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

I don't get it either.

I generally laging a year behind on new releases, this have trementus benefits.

• You are getting the game at a fraction of the cost.
  • All potential bugs and issues have been resolved.
  • a chance of getting more content.
  • after a year many Mods will be available.
  • You probably get the chance to play it on your new hardware.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44167 Posts

GamePass or bust. :P