I seem to remember a ton of people hating the original RE4...

• 135 results
Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

...and now they're all praise about it. I mean, I don't know about around here, on this forum, but I certainly ran into a lot of RE4 hate around the netz pretty much all the way up to the remake. "It's an action game", "it's boring", "it isn't Resident Evil", etc. etc. Now all of a sudden everyone loves it.

Anyway, I've loved it from the start, and can't wait to jump into the remake. It's good to see so much praise get poured all over this classic.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Been very consistent and will pick it up on a deep sale.

Unlike Ghost (traitor)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

I refused to play through the original because you could not move and shoot at the same time. Now that they have addressed that, I will give the remake a go.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts

Lots of people loved it when it came, I'd go as far as to say most people who play games did, but the survival horror RE fans were angry about it being an action game.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

Yeah I remember during the late 2000s in many gaming forums that there were some old school Resident Evil fans who hated RE4 because it didn't have the traditional tank controls, and because it was more of an action game.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34670 Posts
@BassMan said:

I refused to play through the original because you could not move and shoot at the same time. Now that they have addressed that, I will give the remake a go.

That's always been an odd complaint to me. They designed the game around not being able to move and shoot at the same time and made a really fun game that you missed out on.

I never see people refusing to play games because they can't sprint, can't jump, or whatever..

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Made up Spanish purple country.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45252 Posts

Nope, was around in 2004 and it got universal praise. Was one of the big reasons to get a GameCube.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

You're remembering correctly, tho you may see some history revisionists now. Its because everyone hated on GameCube back then. It was a "kids console", so Lemmings and Cows made excuses until the game eventually released on other platforms.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2455 Posts

@Miyomatic: Yeah, I remember those PlayStation fanboys. RE4 was always the most accessible and beloved, though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@SolidGame_basic said:

Nope, was around in 2004 and it got universal praise. Was one of the big reasons to get a GameCube.

Eh, that's just not true. I mean, plenty of people loved it, and deservedly so. I was one of them. But there were tons of haters.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

@nod_calypse: the hate came not just because it was a shift from the traditional horror RE formula, but also because it was a nintendo gamecube exclusive, and even supposed to be a full exclusive (not just 1 year). I think Shinji Mikami, the creator even had a fallout with capcom over the breaking of the contract. But then again, Nintendo and Capcom now have a fantastic relationship as a result of nintendo being so lenient with RE4. It was a great decision on nintendos part, they learned alot from their past dealing with SE and how hard they shit that bed.

There was a lot of hate on the game for those two reasons, but now its all history.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Then the PS2 version was announced, before the GCN version released.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44304 Posts

I’ve always loved the original Resident Evil 4 game myself. Been a huge RE fan since day one and the more action oriented RE4 game never bothered me. In fact it was easily one of my most favourite games of all time. Am also absolutely loving this remake as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@Archangel3371 said:

I’ve always loved the original Resident Evil 4 game myself. Been a huge RE fan since day one and the more action oriented RE4 game never bothered me. In fact it was easily one of my most favourite games of all time. Am also absolutely loving this remake as well.

I'm in the same boat. I think the game is a damn Mikami masterpiece.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#16 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 362 Posts

I always thought it was a masterpiece. It's been my favourite game of all time ever since it came out and I replay it on a regular basis.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39217 Posts

People that hated on it were like ghost. Can you really take them seriously? RE4 was always great, but i don't like the last section with a bunch of zombies with guns, which is just dumb.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2947 Posts

I never hated RE4. It IS a good game. I just vastly preferred the survival horror in RE1-3. I am disappointed that Capcom quit making the classic stuff: Prerendered backgrounds with fixed camera angles, tank controls and B-movie dialogue. Ah, those were some of the best days in my gamer life.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45252 Posts

@nod_calypse said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Eh, that's just not true. I mean, plenty of people loved it, and deservedly so. I was one of them. But there were tons of haters.

well, I guess I didn't meet those people. RE4 always been considered a GOAT and revolutionary game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@hardwenzen said:

People that hated on it were like ghost. Can you really take them seriously? RE4 was always great, but i don't like the last section with a bunch of zombies with guns, which is just dumb.

The belt ammo commandos were admittedly hilarious.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen  Online

@nod_calypse said:
@hardwenzen said:

Meh, i am not a fan of the goofiness in RE titles. Much prefer a serious and more realistic tone to a game like this.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Exactly what I was coming to say, this game was universally praised on release. Sure there's always a few haters for anything that comes out but the general consensus was that RE4 was an excellent game back in '04.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BassMan
@Litchie said:
@BassMan said:

That's always been an odd complaint to me. They designed the game around not being able to move and shoot at the same time and made a really fun game that you missed out on.

I never see people refusing to play games because they can't sprint, can't jump, or whatever..

The shooting mechanics ruined the fun for me. Having to play with a controller on console with a low frame rate and then not being able to move and shoot at the same time.... fuk that. It was supposed to be more of an action game than the previous games. That is fine, but when I am playing the Max Payne games on PC where you could not only move around and shoot at the same time, but leap or dive in any direction and shoot... playing RE4 is painful. There were so many good shooters on PC already and it released the same year as Half-Life 2. That game was pushing boundaries with physics, gameplay mechanics and presentation. So, it did not feel like I was missing out on anything by not playing RE4.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@hardwenzen said:
@nod_calypse said:
@hardwenzen said:

Meh, i am not a fan of the goofiness in RE titles. Much prefer a serious and more realistic tone to a game like this.

If Japanese devs are involved, you won't avoid a bit of goofiness. (is that racist?)

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

RE4 divided the fanbase cause it went away with the zombie survival/horror aspect and went with a mediocre action game which eventually RE5, RE6 and the rev games went with.

RE4 was a good game but it was a shallow RE game (something RE7 and RE8 seem to follow as well).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@nod_calypse said:
@hardwenzen said:
@nod_calypse said:
@hardwenzen said:

If Japanese devs are involved, you won't avoid a bit of goofiness. (is that racist?)

Yea, the cringe is always present, and i was never a fan of it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24962 Posts

Original RE4 was mediocre. it was action game badly done. clunky and controls are tank controls set in third person view.

Remake is RE4 done right. its much better. play better with KB/M finally.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

Ghost is quickly becoming the biggest flip flopper i have ever seen in my whole career.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3441 Posts

I'm a proud og hater!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:

Ghost is quickly becoming the biggest flip flopper i have ever seen in my whole career.

its not my fault that original RE4 suck and Remake is actually good.

original RE4 need 2012 mod to work properly on PC. it also control like shit. cant walk while shooting is lazy design they copy and paste from original tank controls.

now RE4 done much better. wonder if this game shut up all remake haters.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hardwenzen  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

original RE4 need 2012 mod to work properly on PC. it also control like shit. cant walk while shooting is lazy design they copy and paste from original tank controls.

Dude, you're a massive flip flopper. Seriously, this needs to stop. The original never sucked, especially for 2005 standards. You just hated on it like a hipster because you enjoy hating on what's popular. Now, two decades later, you've opened your eyes, and finally are able to see the quality on offer. Better late than never, i guess?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Dude, you're a massive flip flopper. Seriously, this needs to stop. The original never sucked, especially for 2005 standards. You just hated on it like a hipster because you enjoy hating on what's popular. Now, two decades later, you've opened your eyes, and finally are able to see the quality on offer. Better late than never, i guess?

both different games.

original is tank control game. newer is proper third person action game. HUGE difference.

for 2005 it suck. Max Payne released in 2001 and was much better played game by far.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Archangel3371

@hardwenzen: You’re whole “career”? Career as what, a clown? 😂🤡

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@Archangel3371 said:

@hardwenzen: You’re whole “career”? Career as what, a clown? 😂🤡

As a Sony Professional. Not sure why you're asking me a question to which you already knew the answer to.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen  Online
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

both different games.

original is tank control game. newer is proper third person action game. HUGE difference.

for 2005 it suck. Max Payne released in 2001 and was much better played game by far.

The hell. You can't have Max Payne agility in a RE game. Tank controls or being able to strafe extremely slowly makes no difference if at all. Your tank controls excuse is simply pathetic.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#36  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

I think the more controversial take was accepting the Wii port was the best version of the bunch. Don't really remember too much hate being thrown around towards RE4 though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Archangel3371

@hardwenzen: Just wanted to get it straight from the horse’s mouth I guess. 😂

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

I tried a few times, but I just couldn't get on with the controls.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

both different games.

The hell. You can't have Max Payne agility in a RE game. Tank controls or being able to strafe extremely slowly makes no difference if at all. Your tank controls excuse is simply pathetic.

The control suck. it didnot even support mouse. Just keyboard.

its tank control game from OTS view.

the gunplay suck and remake heavily improved it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

both different games.

The control suck. it didnot even support mouse. Just keyboard.

its tank control game from OTS view.

the gunplay suck and remake heavily improved it.

@ghosts4ever My dude, you never disappoint.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2455 Posts
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:

both different games.

That's why, no offense, I can't take people like BassMan seriously for saying they refused to play the original because you couldn't move and shoot at the same time. It was all structured around stop and shoot. The creators even said that they considered letting the player move sideways but chose not to because it would have overpowered them and taken from the tension.

Some people just want every game to play the same. Same reason there are no AAA games with "fixed" cameras anymore. Almost all FPV and OTS. They could do so much with "fixed" cams now.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I think the more controversial take was accepting the Wii port was the best version of the bunch. Don't really remember too much hate being thrown around towards RE4 though.

Mmm definitely on here and on gamefaqs, I remember the 10-20 page arguments that would erupt between the fanbase.

Good times lol

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

I always liked it. It really took me by surprise tbh, I didn't pay the game any attention leading up to launch. 2004/2005 are a couple of my favorite years in gaming, was busy with so many other games, so going in blind with RE4 day 1 was pretty amazing lol.

As for "haters", didn't really see it as being any different than any other popular game. Some people just legit won't like a game. Others might have some weird fanboy reason. Longer running series, people will always be split on a new entry. Especially if the new entry does a lot of new things.

That stuff isn't out of the ordinary. You'll see it with this remake soon enough.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BassMan
@warm_gun said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

both different games.

That's why, no offense, I can't take people like BassMan seriously for saying they refused to play the original because you couldn't move and shoot at the same time. It was all structured around stop and shoot. The creators even said that they considered letting the player move sideways but chose not to because it would have overpowered them and taken from the tension.

Some people just want every game to play the same. Same reason there are no AAA games with "fixed" cameras anymore. Almost all FPV and OTS. They could do so much with "fixed" cams now.

Sure, it was all structured around shit shooting mechanics. They fixed it for the remake and it is now worth playing. They should have just designed it around good controls in the first place and I would have played it back then.

Between PC, PS2, Xbox, and GC, I had a lot of great games to play. Passing on RE4 was not a big deal. This is a perfect example of how doing a remake can be a very good thing. They lost me the first time around, but now they pulled me in and Ghosts as well.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

😂

It's amazing how often things that are considered jokes and meme takes anywhere else are still said unironically here on SW.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@ConanTheStoner said:

😂

It's amazing how often things that are considered jokes and meme takes anywhere else are still said unironically here on SW.

That's what makes this place gold, arguably.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3441 Posts

They need to fix the game, unless I'm able to fat roll and simultaneously shoot it's not worth my time. Maybe add super slow motion during the roll.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11139 Posts

I always loved RE4. RE5 on the other hand on I was lukewarm on, and 6... SMH. They need to redo those from scratch if they ever want to go at it again