Incredibly successful boycott from the SJW's :) Hogwarts Legacy Passes $1 Billion In Sales (oopsie)

• 71 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39384 Posts

Always great to see someone getting rolled, and this is the definition of being rolled.

Hogwarts Legacy is putting up very big sales numbers. The game has now passed 15 million copies sold and $1 billion in retail sales since launch in February, parent company WB Discovery announced during its latest investor briefing (via VGC). Hogwarts Legacy is the largest release of all time for WB Games. It's also 2023's best-selling game so far, WB Discovery said.

Hogwarts Legacy's path to $1 billion began with 12 million copies sold and $850 million in revenue over the game's first two weeks. It's now up to 15 million copies sold and $1 billion in sales.

No information has been provided regarding the development and marketing costs for Hogwarts Legacy, so there is no way to know how profitable the game might be. In any event, $1 billion in retail revenue is a major milestone.

For comparison, Activision Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 earned $1 billion in revenue over its first 10 days. Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto V cleared $1 billion in sales in just three days.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts

I don't take this as a culture war thing but more, the general public outside of it, actually don't give a shit.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

Honestly, outside of a few terminally online bunch. Most people didnt care one way or another.

The game delivered in providing wish fulfillment of being a student at hogwarts, shame the game represents the worst parts of open world banality. From what I have heard, Bully did it better over nearly 2 decades ago.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

Yeah don’t think the vast majority of people buying the game cared one way or the other. Just wanted to enjoy the thing that they enjoy.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

Good for them Avalanche did a tremendous job. They came from being a small time mobile dev to a AAA dev that just outclassed Respawn, Square Enix and Arkane. Kudos

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

Good for them Avalanche did a tremendous job. They came from being a small time mobile dev to a AAA dev that just outclassed Respawn, Square Enix and Arkane. Kudos

How are they getting away with being called Avalanche? This is outrageous. It's unfair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalanche_Studios_Group

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70008 Posts

Do you mean the game that is also pro-SJW did well?😂

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

I do recall having to take quests from a man in woman's clothing with an extremely deep voice in the Hogsmeade pub. So who really won here? 🤔

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7246 Posts

crazy last gen versions not even out yet.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6982 Posts

@theam0g: The SJW's always try to find a way to attach themselves to something extremely successful. Most people won't flinch about one minor side character. However you can never do enough to please rabbid SJW's. It's why it's best just to ignore them.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

I wish the opposing side's counter-part of SJWs were this useless and unsuccessful in their efforts to boycott/ban shit.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14816 Posts

@theam0g said:

I do recall having to take quests from a man in woman's clothing with an extremely deep voice in the Hogsmeade pub. So who really won here? 🤔

Apparently that was transphobic as well. Anyway, I enjoyed the game. One and done for me, but I definitely put the hours into it to make it a purchase that was worth it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

How are they getting away with being called Avalanche? This is outrageous. It's unfair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalanche_Studios_Group

Because the Swedish avalanche group isn't Bethesda so they don't instantly sue.

My friend and I are both anticipating Stalker 2 so we talk about it a lot, and he's working on a Stalker 2 revival project, which is a mod recreating the original cancelled Stalker 2

It makes for fun conversations.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

Not surprising. People love mediocre franchises for tweens.

@zaryia said:

I wish the opposing side's counter-part of SJWs were this useless and unsuccessful in their efforts to boycott/ban shit.

They are. See the recent budweiser crybaby fit for evidence. Slight dip in sales for 2 weeks but they're back up and no one cares anymore.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16576 Posts

@hardwenzen: wonder what mesome thinks about this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

@SOedipus said:
@theam0g said:

Apparently that was transphobic as well. Anyway, I enjoyed the game. One and done for me, but I definitely put the hours into it to make it a purchase that was worth it.

One and done for me as well, but 60 hours later I can truly say that it was definitely a memorable experience. The amount of detail was astounding and traversing the world on a broom stick was also 'magical'. The quests were fetch and grab'y, however.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

I bought it cause it was pro-SJW.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#18  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19628 Posts

I doubt most people are even aware of any JK Rowling controversy.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

I don't understand why people get so tied up in this shit. It was a great game that I can't 100 percent until a patch, but I heard it just had its biggest patch to date, so I might re-download the game and go see.

I support what I like and don't really care about the politics surrounding it. There is enough strife in day to day life, so I keep that stuff away from my game time and just play what I feel like playing.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#20  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@hardwenzen:

Good for the developers but I still don't care about Harry Potter.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

The reality of it all is how any company or any individual can, has and will say things with which you disagree but you don't boycott. People need to learn that it's best to wisely choose your battles because each one isn't worth fighting.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

Good to hear. I bought a copy just to get under the skin of those crazy activists. I've unfortunately been busy with other games, so I haven't played it yet. It'll be a cold day in Hell before I let a bunch of carnal activists dictate what I can or cannot play. Censorship can go to Hell.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 650 Posts

Most people do not even know who the author is.

Its just the crying of the activist, i'm sure they got some children to mutilate somewhere to keep them busy.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Quite a high number considering it only releases on next gen + a botched PC release. Congratulations!

I hope the next game devs still pour love for all the customization options and keep it free. I am sure the publisher looking at those clothing options and room decorations and said we can monetize this.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts
@Elaisse said:

Its just the crying of the activist, i'm sure they got some children to mutilate somewhere to keep them busy.

Harry potter books sold around 600m copies worldwide... the IP itself worth around $25billion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

@Elaisse said:

Wait.... Wot

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

It's simple. Harry Potter fans have been asking for a good and I mean a good Harry Potter video game for years and they got one, its Hogwarts Legacy. Gamers didn't care for J.K Rowling stuff, they want a good game and they got one.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6404 Posts

Not a HP fan so never even thought about buying it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 uninspiredcup

@WitIsWisdom said:

I don't understand why people get so tied up in this shit. It was a great game that I can't 100 percent until a patch, but I heard it just had its biggest patch to date, so I might re-download the game and go see.

I support what I like and don't really care about the politics surrounding it. There is enough strife in day to day life, so I keep that stuff away from my game time and just play what I feel like playing.

Since the internet allowed us to start screeching at each other regardless of how informed our opinions are entertainment culture in general is quite toxic now.

Although a cynical eye isn't necessarily always a bad thing when it's merited.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Wanna play it. Don't wanna think about trannies, something something, whatever.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@hardwenzen: LOL. Wokers owned.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

One of the most popular ip got a proper game and it made money. Who would have thought.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

This has little to do with being woke or "SJW" or whatever, and more to do with just showing how little the whole trans thing is actually a part of people's lives.

I don't mean that from a conservative or liberal standpoint, nor am I being judgmental or saying it doesn't matter; I'm just saying that at the end of the day, a small percentage of people that observe a very different lifestyle have little to no bearing on the way society is going.

The resulting anti-trans movement from the far-right especially, is manufactured to generate ratings for network news. The fear that results from it is bullshit, and people really just need to let it go. Yes, trans people are here, give them what they want and we won't have to hear from them.

@uninspiredcup said:

I don't take this as a culture war thing but more, the general public outside of it, actually don't give a shit.

Pretty much this.

@dabear said:

Not really. It just shows what a non-issue it is to essentially everyone. So all the anti-woke folks worried about trans people influencing their kids' are a bunch of jackasses worried about nothing.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

It’s an open world base on a popular franchise. Not surprising at all

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Maroxad
@mrbojangles25 said:

This has little to do with being woke or "SJW" or whatever, and more to do with just showing how little the whole trans thing is actually a part of people's lives.

I don't mean that from a conservative or liberal standpoint, nor am I being judgmental or saying it doesn't matter; I'm just saying that at the end of the day, a small percentage of people that observe a very different lifestyle have little to no bearing on the way society is going.

The resulting anti-trans movement from the far-right especially, is manufactured to generate ratings for network news. The fear that results from it is bullshit, and people really just need to let it go. Yes, trans people are here, give them what they want and we won't have to hear from them.

Exactly this.

That third Fantastic Beasts movie was a commercial disaster. This game on the other hand ended up exceeding probably anyone's expectations.

It turns out most people dont give an Eld*n R*ng about culture wars stuff and just want a product that appeals to them. Fantastic Beasts did not, but this very much did. If people get out of the internet, they will see just how irrelevant the whole transgender issue really is.

I hope Avalanche continues with this, they have a good concept here. Now with a sequel, they should expand on this. And actually make the next game appealing rather than a big checkbox of things for both the developers, and players to do.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@Vaasman said:

Not surprising. People love mediocre franchises for tweens.

@zaryia said:

They are. See the recent budweiser crybaby fit for evidence. Slight dip in sales for 2 weeks but they're back up and no one cares anymore.

True but I was actually talking more along the lines of ludicrous thousands of book bans over the last few years.

These annoying wokesters on twitter are just that. Annoying. Lets be thankful it's not the actual government banning material like the opposite side does.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

Still when I ask people what did she say to deserve the boycott, I never get an answer. All this boycott did is that I have no respect for reviewers or game website even more

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mrbojangles25

@gotgames said:

Still when I ask people what did she say to deserve the boycott, I never get an answer. All this boycott did is that I have no respect for reviewers or game website even more

What boycott? Did you miss the part where this generated 1 billion dollars?

There is no real controversy outside of what is manufactured to make headlines.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gotgames

@mrbojangles25: there was a boycott by gamespot IGN etc. who put a disclaimer on their review

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By palasta
Member since 2017 • 1407 Posts

For what reason was the game boycotted again? Right, because the author of the book franchise supposedly voiced a transphobic and anti-etc opinion. Which is false.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2587 Posts

@gotgames said:

@mrbojangles25: there was a boycott by gamespot IGN etc. who put a disclaimer on their review

And ResetEra banned all discussion of the game on their board. The media coverage of the game was almost nonexistent. The games success shows the brand is stronger than the media narratives. Not all franchises would survive this treatment though

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mrbojangles25

@gotgames said:

I don't think that's a boycott.

Boycott would be...not reviewing the game. Not advertising it. Etc.

What they did was just make a disclaimer. They get the moral high ground by virtue signaling, any SJW employees get to think "yay we did our part", and they get more clicks (ad revenue) by making sensationalist headlines. Win-win.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#43 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70008 Posts

@dabear said:

You know this game is "woke" right? This is more like anti-woke folks so hate "woke" folks that they will support a woke game because the "woke" folks are against the "woke" writer behind the IP.😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39384 Posts
Loading Video...

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

@palasta said:

For what reason was the game boycotted again? Right, because the author of the book franchise supposedly voiced a transphobic and anti-etc opinion. Which is false.

I just wonder if the activists actually read what JK Rowling said (go straight to the source) instead of learning about it from second-hand sources.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gotgames

@mrbojangles25: they wrote an article how JK Rowlings comments impacted the trans community which it did not, game was released Feb 7 gamespot released the review on Feb 20, without advertising it on front page, gaming review sites tried to have an impact on the success of the game in which they failed miserably and gamespot deleted my comments when I asked what JK R said that is considered A hate speech or anti transgender

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19587 Posts
@onesiphorus said:
@palasta said:

I just wonder if the activists actually read what JK Rowling said (go straight to the source) instead of learning about it from second-hand sources.

The source, as in JK Rowling's Twitter feed? Because I just scrolled through the last few weeks of her feed. She posts about feminism more than anything else, with the occasional smattering of anti-trans posts.

It's not a surprise that some feminists hate her exclusionary school of feminism, and that trans people think she is anti-trans (because...I mean, she posts and re-tweets anti-trans messages. I've seen them every time I've looked at her feed. Nobody is imagining it - she talks about it often). She definitely has strong views that piss off some groups.

Back on topic though, this news is disappointing because there are much better fantasy authors that deserve this attention. For example, I'd love to see a Discworld game make a billion dollars.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Maroxad

@gotgames said:

Putting a disclaimer means boycotting? Gamespot put up a lot of articles surrounding parts of the game completely unrelated to the JK ROwling controversy.

A LOT of people expressed their disapproval of JK Rowling's Actions. Even Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation did.

@Planeforger said:

The source, as in JK Rowling's Twitter feed? Because I just scrolled through the last few weeks of her feed. She posts about feminism more than anything else, with the occasional smattering of anti-trans posts.

It's not a surprise that some feminists hate her exclusionary school of feminism, and that trans people think she is anti-trans (because...I mean, she posts and re-tweets anti-trans messages. I've seen them every time I've looked at her feed. Nobody is imagining it - she talks about it often). She definitely has strong views that piss off some groups.

Back on topic though, this news is disappointing because there are much better fantasy authors that deserve this attention. For example, I'd love to see a Discworld game make a billion dollars.

Hell yeah. Discworld is a much better series of fantasy novels for kids. Despite being arguably satire, I found the story and world to be far more coherent than the incoherent mess JK Rowling Created where she cannot plan more than 20 pages ahead.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gotgames

@Maroxad: feb 6 gamespot wrote an article how JKR comments impacted trans community which it didn’t, JKR said nothing wrong, Feb 7 game came out gamespot released their review feb 20 without front page advertisement like they usually do, so yes they did try their best to boycott the game but people are not stupid and know that JKR said nothing wrong

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Maroxad
@gotgames said:

@Maroxad: feb 6 gamespot wrote an article how JKR comments impacted trans community which it didn’t, JKR said nothing wrong, Feb 7 game came out gamespot released their review feb 20 without front page advertisement like they usually do, so yes they did try their best to boycott the game but people are not stupid and know that JKR said nothing wrong

That is not what a boycott is.

And they put up a review and a lot of resources. That is not a boycott.