Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24988 Posts

Hello friends,

I recently replayed GTA5 and i notice lot of things here. I have been critical to this series but never consider any of previous games hand holdy or movie games. here, GTA5 start with prologue that is incredibly hand holdy hiest then engage with firefight with cops where you take cover and shoot ie very simple and easy.

Then if you are not in mission, you have freedom but once you are in mission, you are forced to drive from point A to point B, forced linear path, watch cutscene and if engage in firefight. then take cover and shoot where health regenerated.

I remember early vice city and san andreas were not really easy games. they have cheat codes. here GTA5 is waay too easy and simple that you barely die if you are in firefight.

if you punch a civillian, he died and not even engage in fist fight.

after replaying it I realize that man, GTA5 is a movie game if you are in mission. its only fun for messing around like previous games and even messing around is nowhere near as fun as in early games.

I can see why it is called most successful game of all time because its a casual game that everyone can play it.

Rockstar open world formula is basically linear and scripted if you are on mission. same formula repeat in RDR2.

so my friends, can we consider it as cinematic and movie game too? lets discuss

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Time to put the keyboard away casual4ever.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52447 Posts

Older GTA games were harder due to controls and no checkpoints. Anyway, movie game arguments are so done. They never made sense to begin with. Keep that for games like Life is Strange or Heavy Rain.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44174 Posts

I don't even..... :P

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ghosts4ever

@freedomfreak said:

Older GTA games were harder due to controls and no checkpoints. Anyway, movie game arguments are so done. They never made sense to begin with. Keep that for games like Life is Strange or Heavy Rain.

older GTA games have bad gameplay mechanics but they are atleast challenging. GTA5 is devoid of any challenge at all.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9874 Posts

Yeah R* mission design is among the most restricted in the industry. They compensate weak core gameplay mechanics by bombastic setpieces that do not offer any opportunity for player creativity. Play the cinematic way R* intended, or fail the mission.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Practically every game that isn't an indie or Nintendo title is a cinematic experience now days. I love the hell out of my PS4, but I realise that most of my collection are indie games or remakes/remasters of older games. Not a big fan of new triple A titles because of how much of the hand holding and cinematic cutscenes there are. That's not every new triple A game though. Games like Doom 2016, Doom Eternal, REmake 2 and 3, RE7, and a lot of others are still really fun to play, even if they are linear.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 freedomfreak

@ghosts4ever said:

but they are atleast challenging

Again, just the controls and checkpoint system. And the AI being whack. These games aren't legitimately hard.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#9 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@ghosts4ever:

Okay, I'll bite.

1. GTA V's missions are goal driven, like: drive from point A to B but to say that it's a linear path undermines the fact that you're doing this in an open world. You can always take any street, drive off-road and it doesn't really matter whether or not you follow the suggested route. Then when you're taken to a building, it doesn't really matter what path you take - as long as you complete your objective.

2. Health only regenerates to a certain point. The rest you need to fill by eating snackies or finding medkits. And even then, health only regenerates if you are taking cover.

3. With all these things taken to account, GTA V doesn't qualify as what we consider a "movie game." Open world, no qtes, only cinematic in main story missions...unless you want to use the term loosely. And this Ghosts, is on very loosey-goosey levels.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15949 Posts

Hey, only Sony produced games get called that.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

Didn't...we discuss this before?

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

The movie game term makes total sense. It's about hand-holding for sake of the story, automated controls for the sake of the cinematic presentation and frequent cinematic interruptions. I remember one developer saying they didn't wanna make their game too hard because it would interrupt the story. Movie games are games in which the gameplay is heavily compromised by the storytelling. A huge number of the AAA games coming out now are like that. You probably like them, which is why you're pretending it's not happening.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46483 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

LMAO, everyone seems to love to forget how awful GTA missions were before checkpoints.

You had to do the whole mission over again.

Which means driving to the quest giver, driving to the place where you got to do the mission, doing the missions and driving back.

I believe it was GTA IV expansions that brought checkpoints to the series.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak

@ezekiel43 said:

The movie game term makes total sense. It's about hand-holding for sake of the story, automated controls for the sake of the cinematic presentation and frequent cinematic interruptions. I remember one developer saying they didn't wanna make their game too hard because it would interrupt the story. Movie games are games in which the gameplay is heavily compromised by the storytelling. A huge number of the AAA games coming out now are like that. You probably like them, which is why you're pretending it's not happening.

I consider that casualization or whatever term you wanna throw at that. A game going for cutscenes, having walkntalk segments isn't something exclusive to current gen or even last gen gaming. Some developers take it a lot farther, because it's their way of telling a story. But actually referring to them as movie games? Nah. Keep that for actual movie games. Besides those type of games, the definition becomes even more blurred and it comes down to "I don't like the way game is designed so movie game".

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedomfreak

@R4gn4r0k said:

LMAO, everyone seems to love to forget how awful GTA missions were before checkpoints.

Which means driving to the quest giver, driving to the place where you got to do the mission, doing the missions and driving back.

And I'm happy they did. There's nothing hardcore about having Lance spaz out, and run into traffic, causing me to fail a mission.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Guys and girls, find a new hobby and quit gaming.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46483 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

And I'm happy they did. There's nothing hardcore about having Lance spaz out, and run into traffic, causing me to fail a mission.

Nothing more satisfying in video games than getting a game over screen for some idiot action your AI companion decides to do.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It's an MTX/sandbox in a fun world.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghosts4ever

@freedomfreak said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

never call those hardcore games. they are different kind of bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I love GTAV singleplayer the game isn't hard and I really don't care to me it's all about enjoyment of a game I'm not trying to win hardcore gamer credibility I don't give two shits about that. Also GTAV isn't a movie game AAA games with alot of cutscenes aren't movie games because they have actual gameplay. Real movie games are David Cage style games those type.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@davillain-: A million times but you guys keep enabling ghost to spam the board with the same trollish repetitive nonsense.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

I love GTAV singleplayer the game isn't hard and I really don't care to me it's all about enjoyment of a game I'm not trying to win hardcore gamer credibility I don't give two shits about that. Also GTAV isn't a movie game AAA games with alot of cutscenes aren't movie games because they have actual gameplay. Real movie games are David Cage style games those type.

But my friend you also complain about certain games being dumbed down..

on other hand GTA5 is among most mainstream and casual game. also look at this.

Loading Video...

even Mafia 2 is more detailed than GTAV.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever

@mclarenmaster18 said:

@ghosts4ever: Have you ever tried the first-person mode in GTA 5?

yeah i did. and its too clunky. game is not design with first person in mind.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Juub1990 said:

@davillain-: A million times but you guys keep enabling ghost to spam the board with the same trollish repetitive nonsense.

Sigh, why does everyone assume like I'm the big boss of SW🤷‍♂️

I seriously need a vacation from this place!

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@davillain- said:
@Juub1990 said:

and beside i never made this thread before actually.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

I think they're definitely cinematic games and the last one was fantastic in that you had 3 wildly different characters and storylines intertwined. I'm thinking back through my experience playing through it years ago and smiling. The entire city has life and the radio station is so damned good. I used to watch my friends play GTA3 in college and scoff at it because all they did was murder hookers, but then I played 4 and was hooked.

I'd say the difference between GTA5 and your typical movie game is that you're in full control of your character and how much of a dirtbag you want to be through your actions. I CAN murder everyone on the street but then I get 5 stars and the law up my ass, so I usually tried not to break the law. In GTA 4 I was walking around with a fully loaded rocket launcher because there wasn't much law enforcement.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts
@davillain- said:

Would be sick tho. Die at the hands of your clone son by being toasted by a makeshift flamethrower. Most bad ass super soldier of all time, taken out by what is essentially a can of hair spray and a lighter. Get resurrected some 15 years later only to stumble around a graveyard and ramble about zeroes before dying again.

Kojima str8 genius.

@davillain- said:

Loading Video...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain  Moderator

@ConanTheStoner: Now that's a vacation I need😆

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts
@davillain- said:

@ConanTheStoner: Now that's a vacation I need😆

Damn bro, chasing underage girls around a beach with a taser? Behave Dav.

jk, that was entrapment.

At least Kojima san gives us other options, such a visionary.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10494 Posts

breaking news! gta is cinematic! good scoop ghosts.

i picked it up for free on egs a few weeks ago and i'm playing it in between the cracks of other games. i still enjoy it. it's just a sandbox for busy work when you strip it back to its bare bones, its true nature is obfuscated by all the incredible aural and visual detail r* lavish on it.

gta reminds me of that randy marsh quote from south park about pot when he says something along the lines of its not going to make you kill anyone or commit a crime, it just makes you fine with being bored

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ghosts4ever

@Macutchi said:

breaking news! gta is cinematic! good scoop ghosts.

i picked it up for free on egs a few weeks ago and i'm playing it in between the cracks of other games. i still enjoy it. it's just a sandbox for busy work when you strip it back to its bare bones, its true nature is obfuscated by all the incredible aural and visual detail r* lavish on it.

gta reminds me of that randy marsh quote from south park about pot when he says something along the lines of its not going to make you kill anyone or commit a crime, it just makes you fine with being bored

I remember cheat codes were popular in vice city and san andreas.

GTA5 entire game is cheat code.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

What? How is an open world game a movie game? Lol. Come on ghost, you like manly games so you should respect GTA V's alphaness.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

No, I wouldn’t say so myself. I really don’t have a problem with cinematic/movie games myself though either way.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

older GTA games have bad gameplay mechanics but they are atleast challenging. GTA5 is devoid of any challenge at all.

Kinda like how the whole AAA/mainstream industry pretty much went.

Haven't you been seeing a pattern here ?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ghosts4ever

@bussinrounds said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Kinda like how the whole AAA/mainstream industry pretty much went.

Haven't you been seeing a pattern here ?

of course i have seen it. especially in a case of third person game. last third person game i enjoyed was Max payne 3.

This year i have fun with Doom Eternal on other hand. It is very challenging. so is Desperados 3 which is intelligent game that barely anyone talk about it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

GTA V's mission scripting did feel a bit restrictive. I also was not a fan of juggling characters. And the open world was huge, but activities in the world seemed to few and far between. I was a bigger fan of GTA IV for balance of world size and things to do, though controls are a bit bothersome to return to, but it had the content. They also released DLC for IV, whereas V built the online mode instead, which I have zero interest in. In previous games too I liked as game progressed I would acquire more properties and businesses and grow my criminal empire, in GTA V I never got there, the money made wasn't enough. My friend who is bigger on GTA games than I will ever be told me you basically have to do some trick with assassination missions and knowing how it affects the games stock market, you get all the money you would ever need; seems like too much trouble.

That being said, I enjoyed the game enough to get through it, not enough to go back.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

It's a full on movie game franchise and I like it. I fucking love movie games.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bussinrounds
@ghosts4ever said:

Desperados 3 which is intelligent game that barely anyone talk about it.

Yea, all the good shit nobody talks about on these mainstream/console forums.

That's why I hang around the places like the codex more, as the ppl there actually have some taste when it comes to games, instead of creaming themselves over all this popamole trash that pretty much plays itself.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghosts4ever

@bussinrounds said:
@ghosts4ever said:

That's why I hang around the places like the codex more, as the ppl there actually have some taste when it comes to games, instead of creaming themselves over all this popamole trash that pretty much plays itself.

well atleast this place aint reset era who praise last of us 2 like best thing since slice bread.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bussinrounds

@ghosts4ever said:
@bussinrounds said:
@ghosts4ever said:

well atleast this place aint reset era who praise last of us 2 like best thing since slice bread.

Yea, that place is beyond horrible and filled with wacko extremists that try and turn everything political. I'll def take GS over that shithole any day.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@sakaixx: Cries in Kojima

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#44 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59124 Posts

In these trying moments of #metoo we should probably acknowledge the term "movie game" has been the most abused.

Within the vaguery of games prioritising cinematic story-telling to their detriment, Grand Theft Auto isn't guilty of that, regardless of what you think of the gameplay itself.

In terms of cinematic inspiration, acting as a condensed and heightened bubble of popular pop culture, something like Vice City is masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Mafia is a movie game according to Ghost logic over 2 hours of cutscenes that's one damn long movie.

Loading Video...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@freedomfreak said:

Yeah in GTA 3 they had those "tail the guy" missions, where you had to follow someone at the right distance, but drive really slow. Then if you got too close the bar would fill up and you'd fail the mission. Those were frustrating as hell.

Guerrilla999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Guerrilla999
Member since 2020 • 14 Posts

I loved the game but always HATED the auto center camera

TERRIBLE archaic camera

Cant walk/drive in one directions and look in another without feathering the sticks

Lame as hell

Such a FAIL in an otherwise AWESOME game

An early PS 2 version allow you to glance left and right with your bumpers while driving that was awesome but abandoned in later versions

#cameraFAIL

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

In terms of cinematic inspiration, acting as a condensed and heightened bubble of popular pop culture, something like Vice City is masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

come on cup. Vice city was hardly a masterpiece. even for its time.

it was crap. many kids back then including me just enjoy messing around and using some cheatcodes to blow. the actual missions suck.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#50 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59124 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Absalutely incrediblez

https://youtu.be/f_VBXRZuHTc

https://youtu.be/_UmOY6ek_Y4

https://youtu.be/URG3LPTJ9og