Is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 the new Crysis?

• 59 results
Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

In terms of graphics and tech of course I don't see anybody else on PC pushing graphics this hard not counting VR what do you think ? I'm not into flight sims at all but damn this game looks amazing graphically.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Not really. It's one thing to render photorealistic static maps viewed from afar. It's quite another to render complex objects, rig them for physics simulation, and animate them for close-up viewing.

It looks impressive for sure, but I don't think it's as hardware-intensive as it looks.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I think yeah it is, the graphic quality is amazing. Hope so, for 2 petabytes of images. Guessing always online then.

@madrocketeer said:

Not really. It's one thing to render photorealistic static maps viewed from afar. It's quite another to render complex objects, rig them for physics simulation, and animate them for close-up viewing.

It looks impressive for sure, but I don't think it's as hardware-intensive as it looks.

I think op is comparing the graphics not how intensive it is on the hardware.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59121 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Flight Simulator will feature Asobo's in-house developed game engine, and leverage Bing Maps data, accessing over two petabytes of data from the cloud on demand.[1]AzureAI analyzes map data and photogrammetry to generate photorealistic 3D models of buildings, trees, terrain, and so on. This allows the simulator to depict most parts of the world in 3D photo-realism, and other parts in high definition.[2]

There will also be realistic physics and weather systems, and utilization of real-world weather data. An example used at E3 2019 was that if it was raining somewhere in real life, it would be raining in-game. Individual clouds will have their own behaviors and they will impact aircraft performance depending on its location within the system.[3] Asobo has created their own flight model engine, allowing thousands of surfaces and 3D forces and moments to be fully simulated.[1]

Flight Simulator will populate roads with vehicles, water will flow realistically based on wind direction, grass will have individual grass blades and trees will have individual leaves, creating the illusion of a living world It will feature over two million cities and towns and more than 40,000 real-world airports

If you were to point at a "next gen game", this would be it.

Loading Video...

Most contemporary flight-sims are intensive on computers when not scaled back.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Even putting graphics aside, what they're pulling off is very impressive.

I give zero shits about flight sims, but still interested in checking it out at some point.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

I can't wait!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@warmblur: I am looking forward to this game a lot.

Will it support VR? I hope it does, sims are made for VR even if they don't know it yet haha

I just hope to god they support mods with this game; would love to see the community come up with planes, places, and so on. History is filled with all kinds of cool, whacky, effective, and failed aircraft that are just too cool to ignore.

If this game is as true to its word as it says, the first thing I'm going to do is take off from my local airfield and fly to the municipal airport near my folks place haha. Then I might fly down to where I went to school.aaaaaaa

@madrocketeer said:

Yeah I think the big thing will be good-looking textures and rendering detail at distance, that might make it stand out from other flight sims.

But yeah if you're essentially just flying over what is more or less a static image with little to no AI, it doesn't seem all that demanding.

With that said, I feel this game will be impressive without pushing the limits of hardware; while it's nice to look at eye candy that makes your processors so hot you can fry an egg on them, imo it's even more impressive to make a really amazing looking game that feels alive, but also is insanely optimized and not demanding. I imagine that is more challenging to do as well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69980 Posts

It looks great but its a flight simulator. That shit is boring as hell.

Caj1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Caj1986
Member since 2015 • 399 Posts

Crysis was heavy on the cpu & gpu. That game had uncompressed teztures that made most cpu & gpus pushed to the limits. Flight sim(from what i know) was and always been heavy on the cpu. Prob to render at its max one might need a threadripper or i9 or prob one of those xeon cpus

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24988 Posts

Its a flight simulation. not a video game. no one going to play it unless one want to become a pilot.

Crysis of this gen is Metro Exodus.

Utherellus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Utherellus
Member since 2016 • 107 Posts

in many ways, yes. it is. They really introduced tons of groundbreaking tech.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46483 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Have you played Sam's story yet?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ghosts4ever: Have you played Sam's story yet?

not yet. will do.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46483 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

not yet. will do.

It's a lot more like Exodus than the more linear the Two Colonels was.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I don't know, it looks like nothing else but to be the new Crisis it had to be a terribly optimized game.

It's jaw dropping, and when I saw traffic actually moving it blew my mind. But you know, it's a MS game so if you wanna be one of the cool dudes you have to say it look just OK.

Edit: I want to eat space cake and play it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17842 Posts

It is impressive and I look forward to playing it. However, like @madrocketeer said, it is not going to be as demanding as you think. It will not be pushing hardware like Crysis did.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

In the process of saving up for a new rig just so I can play this at max on release. Game looks too good to be true.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44174 Posts

Gonna be soooo saweeet.. Xsex FTW. :P

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8493 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

It's way more taxing on the consumer grade computers hence the reason it will be streaming it from the cloud. All in all, it's a very impressive piece of technology and easily up there. It's not 'pure' graphics but the actual technology is something that haven't been done before.

On topic, this and Star Citizen. The rest of the games are nothing but small increments.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PC_Rocks
@phbz said:

I don't know, it looks like nothing else but to be the new Crisis it had to be a terribly optimized game.

It's jaw dropping, and when I saw traffic actually moving it blew my mind. But you know, it's a MS game so if you wanna be one of the cool dudes you have to say it look just OK.

People still pushing the myth of Crysis being un-optimized? What year is this, 2007?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

Man I can't wait to play this in VR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@pc_rocks: I'll correct my self; It was a game ahead of its time and when finally the hardware catched up with the software THEN the game unleashed all its potential and looked outdated.

Oh noes PC boi gonna cry.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrbojangles25

@pc_rocks said:
@phbz said:

People still pushing the myth of Crysis being un-optimized? What year is this, 2007?

Crysis was demanding, not unoptimized. Small difference, but a difference none the less.

@phbz said:

@pc_rocks: I'll correct my self; It was a game ahead of its time and when finally the hardware catched up with the software THEN the game unleashed all its potential and looked outdated.

It actually still looks pretty good, have you played it recently? Plus there are mods for it, you can turn it up to 11.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrbojangles25
@SecretPolice said:

Gonna be soooo saweeet.. Xsex FTW. :P

It's coming out for Xbox too? That's good news!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@mrbojangles25: I know it looks good but also dated.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Looks nice.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11182 Posts

I mean, all we had to really compare it to is XPlane 11, and Flight Simulator shits all over it.

Loading Video...

As far as what can be done with the genre, FS looks like the real deal so far.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#29 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Easily the most photorealistic game out there.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Who cares? It's a flight sim. It'll look great for aeronautic fanatics but sitting in a virtual plane for hours as the world ever so slowly goes by is not fun for the majority of gamers so the graphical effects aren't going to replace most any other game. Now I'm sure if something like Just Cause 5 had all of these graphical features included it would have a lot more relevance.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PC_Rocks

@phbz said:

Crysis looked outdated when hardware caught up? Ummm...what? Are we living in the same reality? There was no game on par with it technically until its sequel came out and consolites had to wait 2 years on top of that. Hell, it still looks great today.

Why would I cry? Correcting the misinformation is not called crying. Oh and it was future proofed not ahead of its time. There's a difference. No one forced anyone to play at its highest preset. It blows all the games of the time even on medium.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

That game is beyond impressive. I'm not a huge fan of flight sims, but may check it out at some point when it is on sale just to play around with it.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I mean, all we had to really compare it to is XPlane 11, and Flight Simulator shits all over it.

Loading Video...

The question is if the flight and physics modeling are up to xplane's standards (FAA approved for pilot training), if not then I don't feel like this is going to have any staying power.

Also I'm pretty sure that xplane footage is with settings turned down, you can even tell it's low resolution.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e58917563ba3
deactivated-5e58917563ba3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5e58917563ba3
Member since 2020 • 82 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@phbz said:

It is unoptimized.

Dropping below 60FPS on a i9 9900K and 2080Ti is laughably bad optimization, but they decided to code for 2 cores and expecting the future to deliver 10ghz CPU's.

On top of this, Crysis does not look that great anymore. It was a very mediocre game at best also.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@splendidcoffee said:
@pc_rocks said:
@phbz said:

It is unoptimized.

Dropping below 60FPS on a i9 9900K and 2080Ti is laughably bad optimization, but they decided to code for 2 cores and expecting the future to deliver 10ghz CPU's.

On top of this, Crysis does not look that great anymore. It was a very mediocre game at best also.

You cannot not use todays tech and say it's unoptimized. Back in 2007, people really only had dual cores, some did quad core but that's it. No wonder they decided to only code for dual cores. That just makes sense at the time.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45306 Posts

Meanwhile I'll be playing FF7 Remake, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, and many many more games.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@pc_rocks said:
@phbz said:

Crysis was demanding, not unoptimized. Small difference, but a difference none the less.

@phbz said:

It actually still looks pretty good, have you played it recently? Plus there are mods for it, you can turn it up to 11.

Digital Foundry did a video a week or two back on Crysis with the highest end hardware at the time of its release with modern performance measuring tools. An 8800GT and a Intel Q6600 couldn't play Crysis at 1182x665 at max settings at 30fps even at high settings it would drops into the 17-20 fps range when a lot was going on. A modern equivalent be Star Citizen running at 1440p sub 60 fps on a RTX 2080 ti. If the highest end hardware that came out a month before it's release not even being able to play the game maxed out at 720p It's no wonder people said it was unoptimized and the phrase "But can it run Crysis?" was born. I believe Crysis wasn't optimized to utilize multi-core/multi-threaded CPUs either which is why the game runs bad on even today's high end hardware because you need one really fast CPU core/thread to compensate for it. Being a single threaded designed game screwed it over. Digital Foundry did say that in Crytek's defense they were pioneers for a lot of the tech used in that game hence why Crysis has aged so well and has beaten high end games that came out after it for years. The only games I can remember that beat or rivaled Crysis in graphics that generation without mods was Shattered Horizon, Battlefield 3, STALKER: Call Of Pripyat, Metro 2033 & Last Light, The Witcher 2 and of course Crysis 3.

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59121 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Meanwhile I'll be playing FF7 Remake, Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh 2, and many many more games.

Is there some reason we wouldn't be able to play those as well?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@uninspiredcup: He just want people to know he only owns a PS.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Well 2 out of the 4 games you will be more like watching lol.

Why are you so jelly over a shitty flight simulator???

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ghosts4ever

@i_p_daily said:

what if it was car simulator?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

@Pedro said:

It looks great but its a flight simulator. That shit is boring as hell.

Yeah no kidding. Not here to shit on Microsoft Flight Simulator, glad to see we have fans of it in SW but I'm not into Flight sims myself unless its sci-fi space ships, than I can work with that at least. I'm not in it for the top-of-the-line graphics, it's impressive for sure but not my type of game to play.

@SolidGame_basic said:

And you're point is? Last I check, you have a PC right? So I failed to understand this logic you are trying to pull.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PC_Rocks

@splendidcoffee said:
@pc_rocks said:
@phbz said:

It is unoptimized.

It wasn't designed to run at 4K and the example you provided is not relevant to optimization. Learn the difference between demanding/future proof vs un-optimized.

You specifically mentioned the core count limit. The game was made in a time when performance was still widely expected to come in a form of higher clocks.

But when the reality kicked in, the same team designed CE 3 - the first engine to support 8 cores/threads.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@i_p_daily said:

what if it was car simulator?

What if it was a brain simulator you'd be shit out of luck :)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

@topgunmv said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

The question is if the flight and physics modeling are up to xplane's standards (FAA approved for pilot training), if not then I don't feel like this is going to have any staying power.

Also I'm pretty sure that xplane footage is with settings turned down, you can even tell it's low resolution.

They're doing a pretty big overhaul of the physics engine. 6:33 is relevant part, for some reason timestamping isn't working.

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5e58917563ba3

@pc_rocks said:
@splendidcoffee said:
@pc_rocks said:
@phbz said:

It is unoptimized.

It wasn't designed to run at 4K and the example you provided is not relevant to optimization. Learn the difference between demanding/future proof vs un-optimized.

You specifically mentioned the core count limit. The game was made in a time when performance was still widely expected to come in a form of higher clocks.

But when the reality kicked in, the same team designed CE 3 - the first engine to support 8 cores/threads.

Yes, so now it is unoptimised, is this hard to understand?

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

The volumetric clouds in MS Flight Simulator are amazing! Reminds me of RDR 2.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PC_Rocks

@splendidcoffee said:
@pc_rocks said:

Nope, it isn't. Unoptimized means technical defect or bad engineering. It was demanding and was exactly as it was intended.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5e58917563ba3

@pc_rocks said:
@splendidcoffee said:
@pc_rocks said:

Nope, it isn't. Unoptimized means technical defect or bad engineering. It was demanding and was exactly as it was intended.

It went completely over your head.