Is the Gears of War series objectively dead?

• 91 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39404 Posts

I don't know how to say this, it truly does saddens me greatly, but it needs to be said - this franchise is over, and its permanent.

They don't have the talent needed to reboot the series, and to keep on churning these outdated relics, well, that's just a waste of development time. Its pretty clear to me that if you look at the retention and popularity of the series, there is nothing left. Insane hype for the series back in the day, and look at it now, its a completely forgotten IP. Very sad.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

Dude what are you talking about? What do you mean Gears is dead? We're getting Gears 6 as its being build through UE5 and its the last Gears in the new trilogy. Though I'm surprised and shocked there's still no Gears of War Collection like for MCC style yet.

I just replayed Gears 5 like 2 months ago on PC and still looks helluva good as if it was released like last year.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hardwenzen

@davillain said:

Dude what are you talking about? What do you mean Gears is dead? We're getting Gears 6 as its being build through UE5 and its the last Gears in the new trilogy. Though I'm surprised and shocked there's still no Gears of War Collection like for MCC style yet.

I just replayed Gears 5 like 2 months ago on PC and still looks helluva good as if it was released like last year.

Gears 6 that follows the same story of Gears 5? I honestly did not hear of it being in development if it was announced, but if they're following Gears 5 footsteps, it will be DOA.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17849 Posts

Gears 5 wasn't very good, but the Hivebusters DLC was solid and better than the main game. I enjoyed it a lot. I will play Gears 6, but I am not hyped for it. Hopefully they mix things up or at least draw more from Hivebusters than Gears 5.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

Really enjoyed Gears 5 and am very much looking forward to Gears 6 but there’s nothing wrong with something running it’s course and moving on to different things either. Things don’t have to go on forever and that’s perfectly fine.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22829 Posts

I just played through Gears 5 and it was only marginally better than Uncharted 4. I'd like to see both of these franchises retired completely.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

@BassMan: Hivebusters DLC really felt like what a true Gears of War game should be. The characters were really interesting to get into, and I want more of that and the Hivebusters team should have been the main game. Not really super hype for Gears 6 myself, I just want to continue the story from Hivebusters DLC. Sad its underrated of a DLC cause it was really great.

@hardwenzen said:

Gears 6 that follows the same story of Gears 5? I honestly did not hear of it being in development if it was announced, but if they're following Gears 5 footsteps, it will be DOA.

Gears 5 pulled a Mass Effect choice near the end of the game and it left a huge cliffhanger. I just want to know how'll they'll handle that choice whenever Gears 6 releases. Only news we've got is in development using UE5 according to Coalition.

Edit: There's also claimed Gears 6 will be open-world if you want to read about it: GEARS 6 COULD BE SERIES’ FIRST OPEN-WORLD GAME

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen

@davillain: So they're making a Halo Infinite 2.0? Jesus Christ.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hardwenzen
@TheEroica said:

I just played through Gears 5 and it was only marginally better than Uncharted 4. I'd like to see both of these franchises retired completely.

Hasn't ND confirmed the fact that we're not gonna see any new UC games for a very long time? But yea, i too felt the UC overdose right after UC2.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50617 Posts

After Gears 2, it was dead to me. Just didn't enjoy the series after that.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

They'll probably make another one, but the series effectively died after 3 as far as I'm concerned.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

After geow 5 getting alll that negative press, I would think GEOW 6 is pretty much dead in the water this point .

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1261 Posts

Id rather see an upgrade of 2 over 6 , I think 6 would do worse numbers then 5... but a 2 remake would atleast have nostalgia going for it.

Actually they should do a master chief style collection for the trilogy ( just not broken like the Halo one)

That said.... I did enjoy the multiplayer in 5 and the shooting is as satisfying as ever.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

Gears of War 3 was my favourite. GeoW2 was excellent as well. Would love to see them remake both of those.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@hardwenzen: Yeah where are Sony MP games, oh that's right they have none! 😆

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@daredevils2k: Only from the Pathetic Xbox haters! 😂

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Pretty sure there will be more Gears games, and they will be bought and played. I have no idea how much Gears 5 sold though.

Personally liked and played Gears 1 quite a bunch and had my fill of the series after that.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9831 Posts

@hardwenzen: “ I don't know how to say this, it truly does saddens me greatly, but it needs to be said - this franchise is over, and its permanent.”

“Gears 6 is currently in development”

“Fine, but I’m talking about Halo now”.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 14008 Posts

I think they could successfully pivot into an interesting fps with the franchise going back to the franchises horror centric roots.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1332 Posts

If there's a circus missing a 🤡,we have him right here making attention seeking threads.

When you get him back to the 🎪 please restrict his internet access and find him a job to do as being logged into SW 24/7 is bordering on pathetic,my suggestion is a few hours shovelling elephant shite 🐘💩

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

@davillain said:

Yeah this was rumored indeed, I would love a remake in the style of Gears of War 1 Ultimate Edition for GeoW 2&3

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k

@getyeryayasout said:

I think they could successfully pivot into an interesting fps with the franchise going back to the franchises horror centric roots.

If they want to shake things up for sure they could do an FPS. blind fire is way more interesting in an FPS anyway as it's actual blind fire.

Also the FPS space is missing a big AAA game.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3456 Posts

Gears 5 was a big improvement over 4. Cool world building and combat scenarios but a passable story and mediocre characters. Funny because Marcus has everything to be a real great main in that game but the focus group oriented writing demands for cool young characters no one gives a **** about.

Hivebusters is exactly what I want from AAAs and I was foolish to think Gamepass was going to bring us more of. Smaller, unbloated big budget games.

The series should become much more horror focused.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6421 Posts

Played Gears 1 with a friend in co-op, hated it so much, but gritted my teeth and finished it, never touched another one lol.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k

@kathaariancode said:

Gears 5 was a big improvement over 4. Cool world building and combat scenarios but a passable story and mediocre characters. Funny because Marcus has everything to be a real great main in that game but the focus group oriented writing demands for cool young characters no one gives a **** about.

Hivebusters is exactly what I want from AAAs and I was foolish to think Gamepass was going to bring us more of. Smaller, unbloated big budget games.

The series should become much more horror focused.

Yeah just compare JD to Marcus.

JD has no personality, no character, no backbone, does stupid things and makes stupid decisions. While Marcus is the face of the franchise.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2953 Posts

Gears is not dead. Maybe I was more excited about Gears 1 and 2 back then, but I still want to play Gears 6.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

You misspelled that wannabe poor excuse for a knockoff called Unfarted. Yup, dead as a doornail. lol :P

Anyway, Gears 6 is one of my and I'm certain millions of Xbox/PC gamers most anticipated games. :D

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

Hopefully coalition are making progress on gears 6 they can't end the series after 5. It's one of my fav series of all time still play ultimate edition from time to time and great that the whole series is backwards compatible.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 14008 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I think it could work, but really lean into the horror aspect of Gears 1.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16579 Posts

@davillain: hardwenzen is smoking strong stuff lol.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

I certainly hope not.

Gears is awesome. Microsoft's best IP by a landslide. Gears 2-3 was the reason I almost got a 360 back in the day.

Gears 5 on PC was an absolute blast.

Gears 6 can't come soon enough. Its been 4 years already.

Would also appreciate Gears 1-3 remakes in UE5.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@hardwenzen: More cow copium. This is as weak as that Starfield Vs Cyberpunk post (and article by CowSpot).

• First, Gears 5 is a Game Pass game. Using Steam numbers is an epic fail.
  • Second, this game is 4 years old. Using any player counts from it by a cow, is even a bigger fail that bullet point 1. The biggest game in 2019 (PS exclusive) was Death Stranding. And, on Steam, 237 people played it. OMG, LET'S SHUT DOWN KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS!!!
  • Gears 5 moved to UE 5. There are enough games for XBox in the pipeline that they don't need to announce it yet.
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen

@sealionact said:

@hardwenzen: “ I don't know how to say this, it truly does saddens me greatly, but it needs to be said - this franchise is over, and its permanent.”

“Gears 6 is currently in development”

“Fine, but I’m talking about Halo now”.

Its incredibly miserable on the Xbox side, so i had to give gears some attention like a true gamer would, of course. Don't be surprised.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

I don't know how to say this, it truly does saddens me greatly, but it needs to be said - They don't have the talent needed to reboot the series, and to keep on churning these outdated relics, well, that's just a waste of development time. Its pretty clear to me that if you look at the retention and popularity of the series, there is nothing left. Insane hype for the series back in the day, and look at it now, its a completely forgotten IP. Very sad.

this franchise is over, and its permanent.

What are the numbers for this Xbox game?

Speaking of over...this just came out 6 months ago.....

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hardwenzen
@dabear said:

@hardwenzen: More cow copium. This is as weak as that Starfield Vs Cyberpunk post (and article by CowSpot).

• Second, this game is 4 years old. Using any player counts from it by a cow, is even a bigger fail that bullet point 1. The biggest game in 2019 (PS exclusive) was Death Stranding. And, on Steam, 237 people played it. OMG, LET'S SHUT DOWN KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS!!!
  • Gears 5 moved to UE 5. There are enough games for XBox in the pipeline that they don't need to announce it yet.

Oh yea? We're hiding behind the GP? Ok, is the game even in the top 50 most played on the Xbox?😆😆😆

And its a multiplayer game, a successful multiplayer title has good players retention. I mean shit, look at the amount of players still playing BF5, and that game was a disaster on launch. No matter how hard you try, its pretty damn clear, nobody cares about the Gears ip anymore.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hardwenzen

@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:

I don't know how to say this, it truly does saddens me greatly, but it needs to be said - They don't have the talent needed to reboot the series, and to keep on churning these outdated relics, well, that's just a waste of development time. Its pretty clear to me that if you look at the retention and popularity of the series, there is nothing left. Insane hype for the series back in the day, and look at it now, its a completely forgotten IP. Very sad.

Wait, so a 15h long singleplayer game with zero retention has more players than Gears?😁Nice self ownage.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KvallyX

@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:

Wait, so a 15h long singleplayer game with zero retention has more players than Gears?😁Nice self ownage.

We are waiting for you to release the Xbox numbers for Gears 5. There is no need for you to worry that a 6 month old game only has 400 people playing it....yikes.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KvallyX

@daredevils2k said:

After geow 5 getting alll that negative press

What GoW negative press?

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12342 Posts

Not dead but, I do think the series has run it's course. It needs a significant transformation to get it to where it once was.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dabear

@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:

Oh yea? We're hiding behind the GP? Ok, is the game even in the top 50 most played on the Xbox?😆😆😆

And its a multiplayer game, a successful multiplayer title has good players retention. I mean shit, look at the amount of players still playing BF5, and that game was a disaster on launch. No matter how hard you try, its pretty damn clear, nobody cares about the Gears ip anymore.

It's a 4 year old, last gen game.

Bro, you may be snorting too much copium - I think it may be rotting your brain.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fedor  Online
Member since 2015 • 11663 Posts

The series has been running on fumes since 4.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen

@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:
@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:

We are waiting for you to release the Xbox numbers for Gears 5. There is no need for you to worry that a 6 month old game only has 400 people playing it....yikes.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hardwenzen

@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:

Bro, you may be snorting too much copium - I think it may be rotting your brain.

And how old is BF5?😆Age of a game is not an issue when its multiplayer focused. Like, do i need to remind you how old CSGO is?

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2085 Posts

Gears 5 was a decent enough single player/co-op game, very much a one and done kind of game though.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KvallyX

@hardwenzen said:

And how old is BF5?😆Age of a game is not an issue when its multiplayer focused. Like, do i need to remind you how old CSGO is?

GT7 is dead.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dabear
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:

Gears 5 isn't "just multiplayer focused". And, Gears 5 had a max potential player count of less than 10k. Given that there 5 million players; yet again, Steam numbers are an inadequate metric.

Nice try, though.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen

@kvallyx said:
@hardwenzen said:

GT7 is dead.

Prove it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:

Gears 5 isn't "just multiplayer focused". And, Gears 5 had a max potential player count of less than 10k?

Who are you kidding? Gears as an IP is 85% multiplayer focused, and that since 2006.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9831 Posts

@hardwenzen: It’s a 4 year old game. Why you would bring it up now is frankly bizarre - but I guess that’s what happens when you’re on a 2 year wait without a game for your ps5.

I’ve got over 500 games in my xsx library, and I’m trying to squeeze time in to laugh at your fail posts…but it’s so dang difficult.