Is Xbox Console(s) outselling PS5 a new trend, or E3 bump?

• 126 results
dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8870 Posts

NPD numbers are in, and the Xbox series X/S (combined) outsold the PS5 for June. I am wondering if this is a trend (meaning the PS5 will no longer be a guarantee win every month), or this is just a result of Sony's blunder to not have a presentation at E3.

Thoughts?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7217 Posts

Seems like GamePass is working. Congrats to Nintendo for still holding it down.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45263 Posts

PS5 has a much bigger market than Xbox. Xbox is pretty much just relevant in US and UK.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

But I've been told here that nobody wants an xbox and it's not got the mind share.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

Would have to happen more than once to be a trend. We likely won't be able to do any real comparison until supply meets the demand for both consoles since they sell out immediately when they become available.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts

North America is the strongest Xbox market so not totally surprising. Right now I think supply fluctuations are unpredictable and given demand sales will mostly just reflect what either Sony or Microsoft can supply North American retailers.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69816 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Nah

The PlayStation 5, meanwhile, continues to be the fastest-selling console in US history based on unit sales through its first eight months.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1044 Posts

I think it remains to be seen. It's definitely good news for Xbox, but you'd need more data to kind of see what else is going on. Are GP subscription numbers up? Are there more games people want on Xbox right now? How many of these Xbox owners bought a PS5 already? Are people settling for Xbox because they caught one available versus a PS5? Is this Xbox capitalizing on the fact that Sony was an E3 no show? I mean there's so many variables. If this remains a trend though then one could clearly say MS is doing something right to appeal to US gamers and not something that only lasted a few months.

I think it's gonna be a very interesting second half of the year as several high profile games are coming out, some exclusives too. See how much Halo does for Xbox. If Halo Infinite and MP are must own titles, it would be huge for Xbox and Sony has no answer on deck for it. Forza Horizon 5 will most likely be a hit with no release date for GT7 on PS, which is sad considering they've had a very long time since their last GT game, no excuses. It's a great time to be an Xbox owner, the future is looking great.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7204 Posts

June 2021 PlayStation Sales

1. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

But its a kids game that no one wants.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

Already folks are damage controlling. 😂 E3 doesn’t matter🙃

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mesome713

@gifford38: Maybe they were right. Not many buying it. Kids in Japan don’t want it. It sold horrible.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

so this tweet had me wondering (and I asked in the thread I created)... since they don't count portables (and someone in my thread said that included the Switch) then the PS5 has the lead but it is very much with an * beside it. IMO if it can be connected to a TV/Monitor without buying an accessory then it should be counted

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NNoyingHusband

@mesome713 said:

@gifford38: Maybe they were right. Not many buying it. Kids in Japan don’t want it. It sold horrible.

I've tried getting into R&C games, just never resonated with me. My kids don't care for it either. They've played one of them, a PS4 title, and didn't care. I'm curious if the people who are buying it are just adults who enjoy the series.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I can't wait to get dogpiled for this, but I am getting a weird Dreamcasty vibe from the PS5. NO I AM NOT SAYING Sony is doomed or that this is the last PS, and obviously the PS5 is selling every unit that is made. But I do think Sony was outplayed on the hardware design, power, and features, and they are going to have to adjust course hard for the PS6 with the market shifting

*puts on flame suit as people misread my post and intent and dogpile*

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

Are we depending on sales from one country instead of worldwide and in a country where the Xbox brand does very well?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic

@xantufrog said:

I can't wait to get dogpiled for this, but I am getting a weird Dreamcasty vibe from the PS5. NO I AM NOT SAYING Sony is doomed or that this is the last PS, and obviously the PS5 is selling every unit that is made. But I do think Sony was outplayed on the hardware design, power, and features, and they are going to have to adjust course hard for the PS6 with the market shifting

How can it be like Dreamcast when Dreamcast only sold 9 million units? 😄 PS5 has already eclipsed that at this point.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50594 Posts

E3? I think you put too much weight into e3.

Maybe MS finally pumped out more Series X because it said MS beat Sony in dollar sales. Didn't mention units moved.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By regnaston
@Chutebox said:

Maybe MS finally pumped out more Series X because it said MS beat Sony in dollar sales. Didn't mention units moved.

umm they are the same price for their high end console so math dictates that they sold more units (the series S is cheaper) so if they beat them $ wise with most being the XSX then they beat them in units sold... if they beat them $ wise with the XSS being the majority then they demolished them in units sold. If it was a balance of XSX and XSS then they still beat them in units sold

edit: The only way Sony sold more units is if they sold a high majority of their units last month as the PS5 digital and MS sold around 90% XSX vs XSS in that scenario

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15947 Posts

Finally xbox got production in order and North America is its strongest and only dominance market. Its pretty weird how PS5 was outselling Xbox by huge margins prior considering the huge stock shortages PS5 worldwide but this would be really interesting how Sony reallocate PS5 now that Xbox get their production in order.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@Chutebox said:

Well if you factor in Series S costing less than the PS5 digital and the Series X being the same price as the PS5 disc, it is safe to say units were also higher than PS5.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xantufrog  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: I literally am not talking about it dying at 9 million units (or dying at all).

I'm talking about it being a sort of weird frankenstein of old and new design+marketing sensibilities, that largely shines based on some distinctive exclusives (seriously, in design and marketing terms, who's the PS2/XBox of this generation and who's the DC?)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@xantufrog said:

@SolidGame_basic: I literally am not talking about it dying at 9 million units (or dying at all).

I'm talking about it being a sort of weird frankenstein of old and new design+marketing sensibilities, that largely shines based on some distinctive exclusives (seriously, in design and marketing terms, who's the PS2/XBox of this generation and who's the DC?)

Too late, you already confirmed the PS5 is going to flop.😋😛

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gifford38

@mesome713 said:

im confused the number one sold game sold poorly.

I said as a joke but its a kids game and no one wants it. xbox fans bash the game for being for kids.

98% of kids are stuck in fortnite making there parents spend hundreds on skins.

including 2 of my kids. it makes me sick.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gifford38
@sakaixx said:

Finally xbox got production in order and North America is its strongest and only dominance market. Its pretty weird how PS5 was outselling Xbox by huge margins prior considering the huge stock shortages PS5 worldwide but this would be really interesting how Sony reallocate PS5 now that Xbox get their production in order.

i think xbox out sold it this month because they had more consoles available.

but there both selling strong.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mesome713

@gifford38: Maybe. All those games could have sold poorly. It’s the summer time.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@sakaixx said:

Interesting damage control.😎

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Oh, what? Wait! Xbox outselling PS in the US?

tHe US dOsen'T mAtTers!!11!

Anyways, with the current stock constraints it's impossible to know the real meaning of those numbers.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mesome713

So neither US nor Japan matters now.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NNoyingHusband

@xantufrog said:

MS was hungry, Sony wasn't. As we all know MS made many mistakes at the beginning of last gen and they spent the entire gen course correcting. Sony went from being the company that was most consumer friendly to MS being the ones who are most consumer friendly. Sony isn't hungry. They have no need to be innovative, creative, provide the best specs, make PSN Now better, etc. They have nothing to prove. Will their complacency be their downfall? I don't think so. I don't think there is enough negativity yet to cause sales to slump and Xbox to take over. Now if the PS5 was like $100 more than the Series X, maybe that would cause Sony some issues. MS has done a lot of outstanding things that make it better than the PS5, but that hasn't fully translated to a takeover yet. Like I said above, some big must have titles might do it.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 regnaston

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Oh, what? Wait! Xbox outselling PS in the US?

tHe US dOsen'T mAtTers!!11!

Anyways, with the current stock constraints it's impossible to know the real meaning of those numbers.

they beat their previous high set in June 2011 despite supply constraints

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

hmm interesting. how is stocks of both systems in the US? are both readily available or is there still a big supply problem?

if not then we wont really have a picture on how everyone is doing until both systems can be bought at MSRP in stores.

not enough to say its a trend yet i dont think but interesting.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NNoyingHusband
@Pedro said:
@xantufrog said:

Too late, you already confirmed the PS5 is going to flop.😋😛

I think the better comparison would be who's the PS3/Xbox360. I don't think we're gonna see a sales gap like the PS2/Xbox OG. I think it's gonna be much closer this gen than last gen. MS is doing everything they can, hardware is set, now it's up to games and services to dictate sales.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11155 Posts

@xantufrog said:

This is the worst hot take ever. 🤣🤣🤣 Sony got outstocked this month. Straight up. Xbox came out ahead a couple of times in the UK too for the same reason. PS5 is only the Dreamcast in your dreams.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xantufrog  Moderator

@nnoyinghusband: yeah I didn't pick a good thread to float the idea, because I'm really not talking about raw sales numbers at all. More about how the product is positioned in the longer-term and bigger picture of the swinging market, such that by the time next generation rolls around Sony will need to have adapted. That will translate, shorter term, in a shift of relative sales though (although I still think PS5 will "win" in raw hardware sales count for the generation)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-628e6669daebe

Just my two cents, this thread doesn't really covers the whole NPD and the other one should stay open.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xantufrog  Moderator

@BenjaminBanklin: literally not talking about what you think I'm talking about, and far prefer (at least historically) the PS to the Xbox brand.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mesome713

@ghost_of_phobos: Just click the link, it covers it all.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidGame_basic

@xantufrog said:

Are you using the June NPD as some indication of this? Things to consider:

• Xbox sells most in US and UK. Playstation is a global brand. It's selling like hotcakes and is trying to keep up with demand all over the world.
  • PS5 digital is $400. What kind of backwards company would offer a digital only version, with that power, and for that cheap? Only $100 more than your precious Switch, which is outdated hardware. 😄
  • I have both PS5 and XSX. The PS5 controller is a world ahead of the XSX's. XSX added a button and changed their d-pad and called it a day. Oh, and MS wants you to buy your own batteries 😆 This is a $70 controller we're talking about.
  • GamePass is nice, but hardly innovative. Streaming and renting in general have been around for years and PS Now came out in 2014. Yes, Xbox offers 1st party exclusives day 1, but there's hardly anything out right now. I have GamePass and most 1st party games, and even most games on the service right now, can be bought for cheap and you keep it.

The Dreamcast came out after the failure that was Sega Saturn. Sega completely stopped support for Saturn and suddenly brought out the Dreamcast. Sega was all over the place. Not really seeing the comparison at all. PS4 was very successful and PS5 has been breaking records. All that talk about game prices yet Ratchet and Clank was number 1!!

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8870 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Are we depending on sales from one country instead of worldwide and in a country where the Xbox brand does very well?

I don't know. I would think that trends in the US could be the same as elsewhere (except Japan). But, who knows? I have no data to back that up.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

This thread is going to be a good one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-628e6669daebe

Guys guys this is why the Xbox is outselling the PS5!

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#45 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Switch, PS5 and then Xbox. Think globally, not locally.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

It is funny how US sales is being trivialized now that PS5 is behind for just one month. Supply constraints are now being blamed but it wasn't a few months back. When you live by sales numbers, this news would have those folks shooketh. 😂

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xantufrog  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: it was the wrong thread to bring it up. That's on me - my bad. I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and obviously this particular sales event triggered the thought again (even though I'm really not anticipating the xbox to sell more.

I think you're selling the DC short - I like it more than the PS2 by a lot (although the PS2 is great). The comparison isn't to say "PS5 bad" or "PS5 does everything worse" (indeed, the DC did some things BETTER than PS2). It's about how it sits from 30,000ft in the games market and the longer term trends we're seeing. The XBox is basically digital platform now, with the physical consoles almost a "peripheral" you buy to interface with that. So basic "controller A vs B" feature comparisons are too in the weeds for what I'm feeling

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

teh salezzzzz warzzzz

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SolidGame_basic

@xantufrog said:

@SolidGame_basic: it was the wrong thread to bring it up. That's on me - my bad. I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and obviously this particular sales event triggered the thought again (even though I'm really not anticipating the xbox to sell more.

I think you're selling the DC short - I like it more than the PS2 by a lot (although the PS2 is great). The comparison isn't to say "PS5 bad" or "PS5 does everything worse" (indeed, the DC did some things BETTER than PS2). It's about how it sits from 30,000ft in the games market and the longer term trends we're seeing. The XBox is basically digital platform now, with the physical consoles almost a "peripheral" you buy to interface with that. So basic "controller A vs B" feature comparisons are too in the weeds for what I'm feeling

Oh ok, the controller is "in the weeds" even though it's one of the most widely talked about things about the PS5 and even Phil was inspired by it to make the Xbox controller better. Maybe you're just stuck in your ways with your PC peripherals 😆

Not really sure what you mean about Xbox being a digital platform. Like I said earlier, the PS5 digital is $400. PS Now has more games and is cheaper that GamePass. Where were you in 2014 when PS Now came out? 😉 Also, last time I checked, PS+ still has the best value.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

Sony in last place 😂 TCHBO