Phil Spencer: Activision deal isn't mean to pull communities away from Playstation

• 91 results
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

https://www.gamesradar.com/microsoft-activision-deal-isnt-meant-to-pull-communities-away-from-playstation-phil-spencer-says/

Microsoft won't try to "pull communities away" from PlayStation as it brings Activision Blizzard and its slate of games aboard.

The news of the Microsoft Activision purchase broke earlier today, with Microsoft revealing the nearly $70 billion deal that is set to make it the third largest gaming company in the world (behind Tencent and Sony). Xbox boss Phil Spencer mentioned as part of the initial announcement that Activision's games will still be "enjoyed on a variety of platforms". A new interview with Bloomberg adds a little more detail to Microsoft's planned approach to Activision games.

“I’ll just say to players out there who are playing Activision Blizzard games on Sony’s platform: It’s not our intent to pull communities away from that platform and we remain committed to that," Spencer said.

It seems that, at least at first, Activision games will continue to release on Playstaion. This would make the most sense for games as large as COD. MS would be dumb to lock out millions of players in hopes to get people over to gamepass. They could keep selling on PS while also enticing people to join GP through Day 1 deals and feature parity.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Uh-huh.

I suggest waiting until June next year.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11663 Posts

Sure, Phil.

Boiled-Hotdug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Boiled-Hotdug
Member since 2022 • 309 Posts

Didn't Phil Spencer say the same thing about Bethesda? 😂

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

@boiled-hotdug said:

He sure did and we as gamers ain't buying it into his PR stunt😏

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Isn't that what they kind of said about Bethesda? And then they got really evasive about it? And then they finally said "yeah, actually making them exclusive makes the most sense so we're doing that"

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

This deal hasn’t been approved and finalized so what do you expect him to say?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fedor

@Archangel3371 said:

The truth.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 madrocketeer

@davillain:

Nah, it's not so much a PR stunt as something he kind of have to do until the deal goes through. He can't be seen trying to influence Activision's decisions until they are actually under his fold.

Again, we'll know the real future of ActiBlizz games after June next year.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39384 Posts

I don't think CoD will ever be exclusive.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@davillain said:
@boiled-hotdug said:

He sure did and we as gamers ain't buying it into his PR stunt😏

And it will mean the same thing with Activision as it does with Bethesda. Games that are already in the platform, older games or games that are contractually obligated to release on the PS platform, will. While future games in these series’ by these studios will be exclusive to Xbox.

Phil isn’t gonna come steal the COD games you already bought on PS. You’ll get to keep those. But the 193728th WW2 COD that comes out in 2023 will be exclusive to the Xbox platform.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371

@fedor said:
@Archangel3371 said:

The truth.

Who’s to say that that isn’t the truth though. It’s a pretty vague and ambiguous statement.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fedor
@Archangel3371 said:
@fedor said:
@Archangel3371 said:

The truth.

Who’s to say that that isn’t the truth though. It’s a pretty vague and ambiguous statement.

We all know it's not the truth, and he didn't even need to actually comment in the first place. He could have just said "We're still evaluating the situation blah blah blah". CoD (and everything else Acti/Blizz) is done on PS in 2023. They didn't spend 68 billion to keep putting games on the competition.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

That's what he has to say.

Same thing happened with Bethesda deal and really most corporate acquisitions.

So many things could go wrong if they said otherwise. The most dangerous to them is upset gamers filing class action lawsuits to stop the deal.

Solution? Walk the like and allow people to develop false hope long enough until the deal closes or window to appeal or voice opposition closes.

There are 68.7 billion reasons why those games are exclusive to Xbox, PC and mobile

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I'm pretty sure their intent is to convince Sony to put Game Pass on the Playstation, so technically he's not lying and he wasn't lying about Bethesda games on Playstation, either.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Archangel3371

@fedor: How isn’t it the truth though? If they don’t suddenly remove games that are already on other platforms then what he said is true. Also you can’t call something a lie if it hasn’t even happened yet. We’re simply going to have to wait and see what exactly happens after this deal is done. However this statement isn’t at all specific enough anyway.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fedor

@Archangel3371: It's pretty clear what's going to happen here, the precedent has already been set. Phil is being disingenuous at best.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12340 Posts

Yeah, I don't believe that for a second.

This is the same guy that said paying for timed exclusives we're bad yet drops $80B on gatekeeping some of the biggest IP in the industry.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

I think cod will stay on playstation it's a legacy title the plus for ms is day one on gamepass. If you want it on ps5 it will cost you 70.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 913 Posts

If they spent 70 billion to publish all those games on every platform I don't know what to say

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

He legally can not say anything else. Until the deal is signed he legally has to act like it will be business as usual.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371

@fedor said:

@Archangel3371: It's pretty clear what's going to happen here, the precedent has already been set. Phil is being disingenuous at best.

I personally don’t see it as disingenuous myself. The statement comes off as pretty standard stuff to me. I don’t see them suddenly removing games that are already on the different platforms but I don’t necessarily see them putting new games that come out after the deal is done on all those different platforms unless of course they end up working out any different deals.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50613 Posts

Oh Lord haha. Just be honest about it. It is entirely for that reason.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45314 Posts

@templecow90999 said:

If they spent 70 billion to publish all those games on every platform I don't know what to say

Minecraft says hi.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@templecow90999 said:

Minecraft says hi.

It will be just like the Zenimax deal. All games already on the Playstation will stay there and/or any game that already had a contract before the deal. Games like Outer Worlds, Hell blade, Elder Scrolls, ect were on the Playstation but all the future games will not be.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 madrocketeer

@SolidGame_basic:

The more time goes by, the more I'm convinced Mojang was an impulse buy. It doesn't fit into any of Microsoft's current strategy; it's not enough of a draw to be a Game Pass subs driver, nor is it small enough to be filler, and it's not monetizable enough to be a mobile money spinner. The existence of Minecraft Dungeons kinda gives away that Microsoft really don't have any idea what to do with the property.

I think they're just resigned to letting Mojang do whatever they want at this stage, without really trying to integrate them into their larger strategy.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22819 Posts

Thanks for the info Phil.... Looking forward to seeing the first exclusive cod game in 2024..

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70008 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Exactly. TC is suffering from Sony fanny denial.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheEroica  Moderator

@madrocketeer said:

@SolidGame_basic:

The more time goes by, the more I'm convinced Mojang was an impulse buy. It doesn't fit into any of Microsoft's current strategy; it's not enough of a draw to be a Game Pass subs driver, nor is it small enough to be filler, and it's not monetizable enough to be a mobile money spinner. The existence of Minecraft Dungeons kinda gives away that Microsoft really don't have any idea what to do with the property.

I think they're just resigned to letting Mojang do whatever they want at this stage, without really trying to integrate them into their larger strategy.

Mojang was brought aboard because minecraft will literally never fall out of favor. They don't need to make another game.... Mojang can work minecraft forever if they wanted.... Or dissolved. That acquisition payed off heavily because they bought a perfect game like tetris that has global appeal beyond anything else. Brilliant purchase. And for only 2.5b

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 madrocketeer

@TheEroica:

Oh sure, I'm not saying Microsoft isn't happy with their purchase or that the impulse buy didn't have rational motivation. I'm just saying that Minecraft isn't something you can really do much else with, and Microsoft has certainly tried.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@madrocketeer said:

@TheEroica:

Oh sure, I'm not saying Microsoft isn't happy with their purchase or that the impulse buy didn't have rational motivation. I'm just saying that Minecraft isn't something you can really do much else with, and Microsoft has certainly tried.

I don't work for Microsoft or anything, but I gotta imagine the minecraft metric that matters is new and concurrent players.... Kids get to age 5 and then have a 10 year window where minecraft is their entire life. The game is so expertly designed that as long as there is internet and kids turning 5 years old, theyref gonna have new customers.

Its not unlike Windows to Microsoft when you think about it....

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

Cows...Phil is going to fight like hell to keep these games on PlayStation.

....as long as it's through gamepass 😉

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8271 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

And it will mean the same thing with Activision as it does with Bethesda. Games that are already in the platform, older games or games that are contractually obligated to release on the PS platform, will. While future games in these series’ by these studios will be exclusive to Xbox.

Phil isn’t gonna come steal the COD games you already bought on PS. You’ll get to keep those. But the 193728th WW2 COD that comes out in 2023 will be exclusive to the Xbox platform.

^ this..

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

Whenever any company acquires another company, they always say that nothing will change with the acquired company because that is what they have to say. But they always eventually change.

What I think will happen once the acquisition is completed is that any Activision game that has already released for PlayStation platforms will continue to be supported for as long as the community around the game remains large enough for it to make sense to continue to support it. But new Activision games going forward will be exclusive to Xbox, PC, and GamePass.

PlayStation platforms will no longer receive the new Activision games UNLESS Sony agrees to allow GamePass on PlayStation in which case PlayStation owners could subscribe to GamePass to play the games. Either way, Microsoft wins because if this does put enough pressure on Sony to allow GamePass on PlayStation that would greatly benefit Microsoft's long-term business strategy.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

@Archangel3371: "This deal hasn’t been approved and finalized so what do you expect him to say?"

True, it hasn't gone through government approval in case there is an antitrust blockage but given Microsoft's share of the console market I don't imagine there's much risk of that happening.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7246 Posts

@Archangel3371: so they spent 70 billion just to keep it off one console what a waste of money

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70008 Posts

@gifford38 said:

@Archangel3371: so they spent 70 billion just to keep it off one console what a waste of money

That is just one of the pluses.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gifford38

@Pedro: one of the pluses? Its a waste

Of money. I can see if call of duty was a Sony exclusive or not available on Xbox. But all there games are on Xbox

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Fedor

@gifford38 said:

@Pedro: one of the pluses? Its a waste

Of money. I can see if call of duty was a Sony exclusive or not available on Xbox. But all there games are on Xbox

Taking away your competitions best selling IP is a waste?

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Xbox could just leave Xbox studios warzone free to play on PS with Xbox studios C.O.D' console exclusive

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gifford38

@fedor: yup 70 billion. There is no reason to take that from sony to win. How about take say even 10 billion and open like 10 first party studios. Doesn't take a billion to open a studio. So more new ips plus call of duty = better choice for all gamers and gamers would flock more to that.

So I guess for Xbox to come close to win they have to spend 70 billion plus how much did they spend on Bethesda?

That looks dirty does it not?

Heck I don't even want Sony to spend millions for final fantasy time exclusive. Forget billions.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6048 Posts

They dont all have to be exclusive. Put enough great Games in Gamepass and gamers will switch instead of paying for games.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fedor

@gifford38 said:

@fedor: yup 70 billion. There is no reason to take that from sony to win. How about take say even 10 billion and open like 10 first party studios. Doesn't take a billion to open a studio. So more new ips plus call of duty = better choice for all gamers and gamers would flock more to that.

So I guess for Xbox to come close to win they have to spend 70 billion plus how much did they spend on Bethesda?

That looks dirty does it not?

Heck I don't even want Sony to spend millions for final fantasy time exclusive. Forget billions.

They just toppled their competition and put themselves solely in the driver seat of the industries future and you think it's a waste. LOL

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gifford38

@fedor: yup because most Xbox owners are call of duty players. I know so many that only buy Xbox because of there online service to play call of duty. So yes I think it's a waste.

That money could of been used for something else to get them beyond the competition. Just saying

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Fedor

@gifford38 said:

@fedor: yup because most Xbox owners are call of duty players.I know so many that only buy Xbox because of there online service to play call of duty. So yes I think it's a waste.

That money could of been used for something else to get them beyond the competition. Just saying

And now all CoD players will have to own Xbox's or a Windows PC. Those 10-15 million people who play CoD on PS will now do so on MS platforms.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Archangel3371

@gifford38 said:

Yep, absolutely. You don’t simply spend that kind of money to keep the status quo.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8271 Posts
@gifford38 said:

@fedor: yup because most Xbox owners are call of duty players. I know so many that only buy Xbox because of there online service to play call of duty. So yes I think it's a waste.

if you think having exclusive ownership over what is consistently the most popular and best selling FPS franchise in all of gaming is a "waste of money", there is no point in even talking to you on this subject.. this is not even to mention the other IP and studios they acquired in the deal..

for example, if someone was to ask you, "what one game would need to be in Game Pass on Day One in order to get casual gamers to pay attention to the service?", what game would you name besides Call of Duty?.. (keep in mind that Madden and FIFA are already associated with Game Pass due to EA Play)..

the added eyes on Game Pass by the mass market is the entire point.. that is not a waste of money if they are trying to grow their service..

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#50 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

Phil, since you bought the studio that hired, did you pick up "how to lie" tips from him? The only worse liars than him are Randy Pitchford or Tatsuya Nomura.