Playstation's output is starting to dwindle. What's happening?

• 70 results
Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

Ever since Sony's alledged shady ways of blocking games releasing on rival platforms was brought to the light, it seems their output is suffereing. Is it because all these multi plat games coming out would have been Playstation exclusives back in the PS4 era? Street Fighter 6 etc? Don't get me wrong, PS5 is still a great console, one I plan on buying in the future. But let's be honest here, they are having an Xbox-like drought. The biggest drought in a long long time. Sony are known for their output of quality games, so what's happening?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45276 Posts

PS5 is rocking it actually, just hit the 40 million mark, getting the best third party support, just had ff16, and people are mega hyped for Spider-Man 2. But nice try!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

Their output has always been bad. Heaps of crap and the best stuff is only average. Not sure what changed. Drought? They still release their regular movie games, third party stuff and average copycat games afaik.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22787 Posts

I don't think Sony is having a bad generation per say, but they still don't have a game that makes me feel like I need a PS5 or that they're developing games that couldnt have been done on ps4...

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: What do sales, 3rd party support and future games have to do with Sony games released on ps5?

It’s August, and Sony haven’t released a single game for their console this year unless you count a baseball game also on Xbox or dlc.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@TheEroica: God of War Ragnarok alone is a reason to get a PS5. Anyone not having a PS5 is missing out on one of the best games of all time and a solid top 3 game of the generation thus far (Elden Ring and Zelda:TOTK)

Horizon Forbidden West, Demon's Souls, Ratchet & Clank R.A., Returnal etc are just icing on the delicious cake.

And the argument for "only being able to be played on PS5" is silly.

You could technically run everything on a PS3 if you just turned the resolution down to 480p and run at very low settings with 20 fps...

There isn't a single game on the market that demands you have an RTX 4090 but I still happily bought one.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46449 Posts

Afaik Sony studios are shifting towards live services. Less releases, more recurring spending.

Still, it's a crying shame we have seen nothing of a Ghost of Tsushima 2 release.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k

@Mozelleple112 said:

@TheEroica:

You could technically run everything on a PS3 if you just turned the resolution down to 480p and run at very low settings with 20 fps...

This is just flat out wrong. Look at how Hogwarts Legacy runs on last gen consoles for example (PS4 and Xbox One).

Every minimum spec that Sony has put forward for their PC titles has always been higher than a PS3. And the results aren't that pretty on minimum spec.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45276 Posts
@sealionact said:

@SolidGame_basic: What do sales, 3rd party support and future games have to do with Sony games released on ps5?

It’s August, and Sony haven’t released a single game for their console this year unless you count a baseball game also on Xbox or dlc.

because you and TC are attempting a lame doomsday narrative when PS5 is thriving and has a healthy library. Sony systems have always relied on third party support since the days of PS1. 2023 has been incredible and even If you want to look at it from first party, every system has its droughts. Xbox had a horrible 2022, and their first half of 2023 is a stinker. PS5 first party had an amazing 2022, launched Burning Skies/ Call of the Mountain/PSVR 2 in 2023, ff16 is a ps5 exclusive, and Spider-Man 2 is super hyped. we know Sony has plenty of games in development, there is no reason for them to make announcements ahead of time when you have so many great games to play now

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mozelleple112

@R4gn4r0k: No it isn't.

Just redesign the game with with much worse graphics, and scale down the world to a smaller size etc.

GTA 4 ran on a PS3, so why can't Hogwarts legacy?

What does Hogwarts legacy with PS3 level graphics and physics do that GTA 4 doesn't? or GTA 5? or RDR1?

The answer is nothing.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3447 Posts

PlayStation has no games. They need to start releasing their gaas titles asap. Jim hates gamers and single player games. At best he'll allow Ass Creed reskins, like Spiderman.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mozelleple112

@kathaariancode: PlayStation has won every single year since 2008. The only exception might be 2017 where the Switch won.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

Playstation consoles usually only get around 2 big games every year. The current output is totally normal.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k

@Mozelleple112: So you're asking developers to completely redesign their game so it would work on outdated hardware nobody's interested in. A lot of these projects get cancelled and only few make it out alive.

And you're right: GTA IV tech is impressive. The reason it worked on PS3 is because Rockstar threw hundreds of developers at it and actually cared about the end result.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3447 Posts

@Mozelleple112: A lot of mundane shit gets embraced by the populace.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mozelleple112

@R4gn4r0k: No, I'm telling the other dude is comment is pointless. He says he has yet to see a game that requires you have a PS5.

God of War Ragnarok at PS5 level graphics won't run on a Ps4. You have to lower the frame rate, resolution and increase loading times, etc.

Digital Foundry made a video about R&C RA. The PS5 version runs close to ultra settings with 4K@40fps with limited ray tracing.

With a roughly PS4 spec PC they had to run low settings 720p and barely got 30 fps. no ray tracing or upscaling or anything. Not to mention the horrible, game breaking loading times.

So there you go. you can run PS5 games on a PS4 if you scale them down to PS4 level graphics. So technically you could do the same with a PS3. Just scale God of War down to PS3 level graphics and it would run on a PS3 too.

Its a pointless argument.

Hellblade 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Microsoft Flight Simulators are all PS2 worthy games because you could technically run them on a PS2 if you lowered the settings enough.

Just redesign FH5 with Burnout Paradise level graphics and boom, its an Xbox 360 game!

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1308 Posts

@worlds_apart said:

Ever since Sony's alledged shady ways of blocking games releasing on rival platforms was brought to the light, it seems their output is suffereing. Is it because all these multi plat games coming out would have been Playstation exclusives back in the PS4 era? Street Fighter 6 etc? Don't get me wrong, PS6 is still a great console, one I plan on buying in the future. But let's be honest here, they are having an Xbox-like drought. The biggest drought in a long long time. Sony are known for their output of quality games, so what's happening?

£75 off a Ps5 in the UK,Sony off-setting the drought,and very poor showcase?

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

All I know is Firewall Zero Hour 2 is coming out. So they're doing something right.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k

@Mozelleple112 said:

@R4gn4r0k: No, I'm telling the other dude is comment is pointless. He says he has yet to see a game that requires you have a PS5.

God of War Ragnarok at PS5 level graphics won't run on a Ps4. You have to lower the frame rate, resolution and increase loading times, etc.

Digital Foundry made a video about R&C RA. The PS5 version runs close to ultra settings with 4K@40fps with limited ray tracing.

With a roughly PS4 spec PC they had to run low settings 720p and barely got 30 fps. no ray tracing or upscaling or anything. Not to mention the horrible, game breaking loading times.

So there you go. you can run PS5 games on a PS4 if you scale them down to PS4 level graphics. So technically you could do the same with a PS3. Just scale God of War down to PS3 level graphics and it would run on a PS3 too.

Its a pointless argument.

Hellblade 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Microsoft Flight Simulators are all PS2 worthy games because you could technically run them on a PS2 if you lowered the settings enough.

Just redesign FH5 with Burnout Paradise level graphics and boom, its an Xbox 360 game!

True enough, I completely understand where you are coming from.

The other week there was this talk of a PS5 pro and slim, and I honest to God couldn't think of a single game that is already pushing the PS5 to its limits:

Spiderman, God of War, Horizon... they all run on PS4 as well. And like you put it so well: what are Hogwarts and Horizon doing that can't be done on a X360?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

Sony spends 7 years making 4 games. Meanwhile Nintendo releasing 7 a year.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69864 Posts

Sony released the multi platform game MLB The Show, that counts right?🙃

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#23  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17837 Posts
@mesome713 said:

Sony spends 7 years making 4 games. Meanwhile Nintendo releasing 7 a year.

Nintendo has Zelda and everything else is mostly filler trash. I will gladly take fewer games (as long they are quality) from Sony or MS over a lot of shit Nintendo games.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#24 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@worlds_apart said:

Ever since Sony's alledged shady ways of blocking games releasing on rival platforms was brought to the light, it seems their output is suffereing. Is it because all these multi plat games coming out would have been Playstation exclusives back in the PS4 era? Street Fighter 6 etc? Don't get me wrong, PS6 is still a great console, one I plan on buying in the future. But let's be honest here, they are having an Xbox-like drought. The biggest drought in a long long time. Sony are known for their output of quality games, so what's happening?

That's been going on since PS was born!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts

Because people flock to it by default and they barely even have to try.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 913 Posts

Sony is stuck in 2017/2018- it's kinda bizarre.

At that E3 they primarily showed off The Last of Us 2, Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman, and Death Stranding. Remember? It was the one where they kept moving locations and had all the music performances...

What are we looking forward to now? The Last of Us multiplayer, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Spiderman 2, Death Stranding 2.... What did we get in between? God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon, and Gran Turismo. So I don't actually mean nothing has released besides the 4 franchises I listed above... but it still feels like they're just kinda stuck right now. Genuinely surprised the only other big 1st party game announced is a Wolverine game. No new IP's. No resurrected IP's. Just more of the same.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:
@sealionact said:

1) because you and TC are attempting a lame doomsday narrative.

2) every system has its droughts.

1) I don't understand how you came to this concluson. I was giving PS5 props in my post.

2) And you just proved my point. You admit PS5 are having a drought. That's all I said, nothing more, so why take offence?

The reason why I asked this is even though you say "every system has its droughts," this is very rare for Playstation, they usually bang out good games consistently.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13038 Posts

@worlds_apart said:

This is a very good question. Sony has been shitting the bed lately. Only 1 first party developed game for our PS5 in 2023, and there is a chance it will be delayed. So essentially nothing for 2023. I assume 2024 should hopefully pick up.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

I am having a good time so far with ps5. I am still playing Returnal and Demons Souls always can back to those 2 games. Sony is not blocking crap, its developers who agreed to Sonys terms when signing contracts.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8176 Posts

PlayStation is doomed..

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44321 Posts

It sounds like they’re working on a bunch of GaaS games. Might not be going too well though given how that Factions game is going.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12331 Posts

There are definitely gaps between their big AAA games but, thats absolutely not out of the ordinary. We're looking at less than 12 months between Ragnarok and Spider-Man 2; that's not bad.

They're actually publishing 3 more games this year. Spider-Man 2, Helldivers 2 and Firewall Ultra.

Content as a whole, they aren't showing down at all. Burning Shores DLC, MLB The Show 23, Destiny Lightfall, Ratchet on PC, Call of the Mountain etc.

Re: Third party ... FF16 also released. Forspoken released earlier this year too. Next year has Stellar Blade and, Rise of the Ronin.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 513 Posts

I don't think Sony has slowed down production of games at all personally. They've had a steady release of content the last two years. I do think however, that the content released this year isn't as exciting as it was in the past, because I don't get as excited over numbered sequels as I do new IPs. It also seems like PSVR2 is already getting PS Vita level support, so I'm not confident it will even be mentioned in another 2 years.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39261 Posts

Jim Dogwater Ryan is killing my system. Can some of you lems hire him to work for MS? Sealionact for example, can you take him? Seriously, i don't want him on board, please take him away, and put him in charge of 343i🙃

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58402 Posts

@TheEroica said:

I don't think Sony is having a bad generation per say, but they still don't have a game that makes me feel like I need a PS5 or that they're developing games that couldnt have been done on ps4...

Pretty much this.

The question isn't whether the PS5 is good, or how many good games they have, or anything like that.

For me, the question is: why bother?

I barely touched my PS4 when I got it late into last-gen, and that console had a relatively massive library compared to the PS5.

How many games really need a PS5, anyway?

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

Meanwhile the competition release a 4/10 game with a bunch of broken promises and the only way for them to garner any additional interest is to dump $70 billion.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 706 Posts

Developer are leaving PlayStation bc they are afraid to the predatory practice of Sony - they join the open Xbox Eco system and new game will be coming to Xbox and Windows for more players - on Xbox on PC on Mobile on Samsung TV on every thing - this the rational only choice of players and of developers!!

Thank you Phil saving gaming one player and one developer at one time - slowly Xbox can make gaming great again 👍

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

IDK, it sounds like a management problem. :-(

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

Lems are delusional. Sony is killing it, Xbox is behind as usual. Doesn't matter how much they try to spin it.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17450 Posts

@TheEroica said:

This is why I ended up selling my PS5 less than a year after I bought it.

The only games I played on it were PS5 updated PS4 games.

Ended up selling after they announced more games coming to PC, I figured all of those PS4 titles would make their way to PC at some point and I could play them with mods :P

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

PS5 is rocking it actually, just hit the 40 million mark, getting the best third party support, just had ff16, and people are mega hyped for Spider-Man 2. But nice try!

Do sales come with a single player campaign?

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

40 mill sounds pretty good to me . Now if it’s like 23 mil like the xbsex/s then I would be worrying

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#43 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69864 Posts

@daredevils2k: So, you care about sales of hardware more than games.😂

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts

Too much time and resources spent porting older games to PC, doesn't help that the staggered release pattern of newer games might keep devs tied down from creating fresh new experiences. But, a necessary learning curve Sony must tackle to move forward. Plus, their console sales success over Microsoft isn't exactly compelling them to do anything any differently.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6317 Posts

The SDF is on the charge in the thread lol.

From sales, scores of competitors games, to blaming devs instead of Sony for taking games away from its competitors, cows are in full damage control mode in here 🤣

And none of that has to do with OP's post 🤦‍♂️

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

Sony Fannie s care more about hardware sells than games! 😅

Zero first party game so far this year. That is a drought! 🙅

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2143 Posts

So I guess Final Fantasy never released then? Lems scared that Xbox is failing.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7222 Posts

@Syn_Valence: Sony wish they could make a game as good as Final Fantasy. Instead you’re lucky they give you one game a year. Sony be using these Clown Cows. They want you playing CoD and buying $9.99 skins of Cardi B.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

@Syn_Valence: A sony studio developed ff?

Cows are so determined to try and dismiss OPs only point….2023 is the worst drought in the history of PS gaming.