PS4 sets April sales records for software (since 1995) and hardware (since 2009)

• 130 results
Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Stolen from resetera.

• PlayStation 4 software breaks a record: PlayStation 4 software dollar sales in April 2018 set an all-time April high for any platform since tracking began in 1995. The record had previously been held by Xbox 360 and was set in April 2008.

Bonus: DS4 is now the best selling gamepad (in dollar sales) EVER!

• PlayStation 4 hardware breaks a record: Sony's PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console hardware platform in April, and remains the best-selling console hardware platform year to date. PlayStation 4 generated the highest April unit sales for a Console since Nintendo Wii in April 2009, and the highest April dollar sales for a Console since Nintendo Wii in April 2008.

• Gamepad Sales are up: Gamepad spending increased 7% in April 2018 compared to a year ago and is up 23% year to date. The PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller Black was April's top-selling Accessory and remains the best-selling Accessory year to date. The PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller Black is now the all-time best-selling Gamepad in dollar sales.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps4-sets-april-sales-records-for-software-since-1995-and-hardware-since-2009.44254/

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Ps4 just keeps burying the XB1 alive.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

"? B....bu....bu....bu.....but exclusives don't matter!!!1"

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 daredevils2k

@quadknight said:

"? B....bu....bu....bu.....but exclusives don't matter!!!1"

"Bu bu but we don't care about having exclusives, we only care about having exclusives from the 360 era to be played on oour Most powerful console ever created, the xb1x"

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 QuadKnight
@daredevils2k said:

"Bu bu but we don't care about having exclusives, we only care about having exclusives from the 360 era to be played on oour Most powerful console ever created, the xb1x"

? Tough times ahead for lems. Spiderman hasn't even released yet and PS4 is going on beast mode.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

Well considering that the PS4 has the most systems on the market by a wide margin I would have been surprised if the PS4 controller wasn’t the top selling accessory.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 QuadKnight

Damn, Sea of Flops completely got manhandled by Kratos. It's getting outsold by Yakuza 6.

?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11195 Posts

And here's the game rankings for Apr. while we're at it. GOD of DAMN!

1. God of War 2018
  2. Far Cry 5
  3. MLB 18: The Show
  4. Labo Variety Kit
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze*
  6. Mario Kart 8*
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. Call of Duty: WWII
  9. Super Mario Odyssey*
  10. NBA 2K18
  11. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds^
  12. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  13. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  14. Monster Hunter: World
  15. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  16. A Way Out^
  17. Yakuza 6: The Song Of Life*
  18. Sea Of Thieves
  19. Kirby Star Allies*
  20. FIFA 18^

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22399 Posts

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuadKnight
@BenjaminBanklin said:

And here's the game rankings for Apr. while we're at it. GOD of DAMN!

1. God of War 2018
  2. Far Cry 5
  3. MLB 18: The Show
  4. Labo Variety Kit
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze*
  6. Mario Kart 8*
  7. Grand Theft Auto V
  8. Call of Duty: WWII
  9. Super Mario Odyssey*
  10. NBA 2K18
  11. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds^
  12. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
  13. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  14. Monster Hunter: World
  15. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  16. A Way Out^
  17. Yakuza 6: The Song Of Life*
  18. Sea Of Thieves
  19. Kirby Star Allies*
  20. FIFA 18^

? Holy shit!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

This once and for all puts to rest the "exclusives don't matter" argument. What further proof could anybody possibly need?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Archangel3371

I’m quite curious to know where Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, and Breath of the Wild would rank if they included digital sales of them. I feel that it’s difficult to take these lists seriously when some games don’t have that aspect included in there.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:

That meme has a time and place and it ain't now dude. try again.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BenjaminBanklin
@Archangel3371 said:

I’m quite curious to know where Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Odyssey, and Breath of the Wild would rank if they included digital sales of them. I feel that it’s difficult to take these lists seriously when some games don’t have that aspect included in there.

Nintendo doesn't include digital sales? Also, probably not that much higher since the default Switch storage isn't very big.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BenjaminBanklin
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Oh c'mon. That's not accurate... Xbox execs and lot of Xbox owners hate Xbox too.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Please. Y'all dislike PlayStation so much, you spite yourself all the way to the bench on just about every game that will actually define this generation. Your attachment rate to the hate is unmatched. Not a soul is fooled. Y'all set that meme to rest, now. The AARP called with retirement options meant for you.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Archangel3371

@BenjaminBanklin: Every game on that list with an asterisk means that digital sales aren’t included. While almost all are Nintendo games there is also Yakuza 6 there as well. I’m not sure if it’s Nintendo not releasing the digital sales or just that the NPD can’t track them for whatever reason though.

Default storage on the Switch may not be that big but the Nintendo games tend to be fairly small in file size and you can increase the storage space so I’m not so sure that I would brush that off as all that insignificant to the overall sales numbers.

mave198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mave198
Member since 2004 • 7332 Posts

And lemmings want to believe sp games are dead and exclusives don't sell hardware.

??

TLHBO

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371

@hrt_rulz01: That meme is perfect every time. So very true.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By QuadKnight
@Ant_17 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

That meme has a time and place and it ain't now dude. try again.

? 2006 wants their meme back.

With the way Phil keeps helping PS4 sell by sabotaging the Xbone brand he might as well be a cow in disguise.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BenjaminBanklin
@Archangel3371 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: Every game on that list with an asterisk means that digital sales aren’t included. While almost all are Nintendo games there is also Yakuza 6 there as well. I’m not sure if it’s Nintendo not releasing the digital sales or just that the NPD can’t track them for whatever reason though.

Default storage on the Switch may not be that big but the Nintendo games tend to be fairly small in file size and you can increase the storage space so I’m not so sure that I would brush that off as all that insignificant to the overall sales numbers.

It's likely Nintendo. I wonder why though. I thought that Nintendo gamers favored physical games since they're big on the collectors and reselling market. I don't know.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By QuadKnight
@mave198 said:

And lemmings want to believe sp games are dead and exclusives don't sell hardware.

??

TLHBO

It's almost like Sony planned this shit all along to completely wreck Xbone and Phil with GOW.

? As soon as Phil opened his mouth Horizon, GOW, and Spiderman were there to pimp slap the shit out of him.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

FAKE NEWS! The xbox one controller is deh gr8test controlah of all timez.

LOL big L for Microsoft again

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Archangel3371

@BenjaminBanklin: How does Nintendo not giving out digital sales to NPD, supposing that that is even the case, factor into your supposed belief that Nintendo gamers preferred physical copies. That seems like a contradiction to me. Also why doesn’t NPD have the digital sales numbers for Yakuza 6 because that isn’t a Nintendo game.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BenjaminBanklin
@quadknight said:
@mave198 said:

??

TLHBO

It's almost like Sony planned this shit all along to completely wreck Xbone with GOW.

? As soon as Phil opened his mouth Horizon, GOW, and Spiderman were there to pimp slap the shit out of him.

I hope Microsoft opened their mouths wide enough to put both feet in...

"History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle." *PUNCH*

"The audience for those big story-driven games…I won’t say it isn’t as large, but they’re not as consistent." *SLAP*

MS moves the goalposts for themselves so much, I don't even think they're in the stadium anymore.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BenjaminBanklin
@Archangel3371 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: How does Nintendo not giving out digital sales to NPD, supposing that that is even the case, factor into your supposed belief that Nintendo gamers preferred physical copies. That seems like a contradiction to me. Also why doesn’t NPD have the digital sales numbers for Yakuza 6 because that isn’t a Nintendo game.

Man, calm the **** down, you've been asshurt all night. You're getting way sorer over this than needed. I just look at places like the Amazon chart where Nintendo software is big, and looking at NPD lists where retail software charts high, and probably not as many people splurge on memory cards as you think. Either way, it's not likely enough to knock Sony out of the top spot. Unless you think Donkey Kong was just that damn huge or something.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Archangel3371

@ocinom: Considering that the PS4 is like around double, give or take, total systems sold to the Xbox One the sales for the controllers should also be higher as well. This doesn’t necessarily reflect on the quality of the controller though.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Archangel3371

@BenjaminBanklin: I am calm. I’m just asking questions about some of what you are posting because it doesn’t make sense and wondering how you are coming to some conclusions. Never said it would knock Sony out of top spot, just said that I was curious to where some of these games would be positioned on the chart is all. If you are getting flustered with my questioning of your logic then just stop responding to me, you were the one who initiated the conversation with me to begin with. No need to bring out the “asshurt” card and try to accuse me being upset when I really haven’t shown any indication of being so.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 daredevils2k

@quadknight said:

Damn, Sea of Flops completely got manhandled by Kratos. It's getting outsold by Yakuza 6.

?

^^ LOL that sh*t is funny!!!

but on a serious note, its really sad when a piece of card board outsells the precious Sea of Thieves :(

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BenjaminBanklin
@Archangel3371 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: I am calm. I’m just asking questions about some of what you are posting because it doesn’t make sense and wondering how you are coming to some conclusions. Never said it would knock Sony out of top spot, just said that I was curious to where some of these games would be positioned on the chart is all. If you are getting flustered with my questioning of your logic then just stop responding to me, you were the one who initiated the conversation with me to begin with. No need to bring out the “asshurt” card and try to accuse me being upset when I really haven’t shown any indication of being so.

How am I flustered? You went from 0- to 60 when I just pointed out that Switch doesn't have good storage space and Nintendo gamers prefer physical games (indies are a different story). Look at the attach rates. That ain't nothing to go apeshit about. Damn, Nintendo games are selling great, okay? But right now, the real story here is that God of War took everybody to school and asses should be feeling chafed right about now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Archangel3371

@BenjaminBanklin: How did I go “0 to 60” and how am I going “apeshit”? You’ll have to point that out to me because all I see right now is you flailing about continuing to try and make it seem like I’m upset somehow.

You even just completely ignored that I simply stated that I was just curious as to where those games would rank on the list by saying, “Damn, Nintendo games are selling great, okay?” as if it is something that I wanted/needed to hear like it would appease me somehow.

I know the Switch has limited storage space but I was just pointing out the fact that Nintendo games were quite small in file size so when it comes to their games space isn’t too much of a problem.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenjaminBanklin
@Archangel3371 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: How did I go “0 to 60” and how am I going “apeshit”? You’ll have to point that out to me because all I see right now is you flailing about continuing to try and make it seem like I’m upset somehow.

You even just completely ignored that I simply stated that I was just curious as to where those games would rank on the list by saying, “Damn, Nintendo games are selling great, okay?” as if it is something that I wanted/needed to hear like it would appease me somehow.

I know the Switch has limited storage space but I was just pointing out the fact that Nintendo games were quite small in file size so when it comes to their games space isn’t too much of a problem.

No you're not just asking questions, you went straight into accusation mode. And everyone can see the point where it happened. I just came to my conclusion based on observations, and the next thing I know I'm getting accused of coming up with a narrative like you're the only one that's allowed to ask questions and have an opinion. Chill. You're talking at me like I'm downplaying Nintendo's sales or something.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Archangel3371

@BenjaminBanklin: So you can’t point it out to me then? I’m not surprised though because it isn’t there. Never said I was the only one who could ask questions. I don’t even think that you asked one yourself so I have no idea where that came from. Never said that I was the only one who could have an opinion either. If you have no answers to my questions then just say so, no need to keep on telling me to “chill out” or “calm down” because I already told you that I’m calm.

I already told you a number of times that I’m simply curious as to where those games would rank with the digital sales included so you can stop with the implications that I’m worried or something about how well these games are selling.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2144 Posts

God of War making sheeps and lems cry. Example right above my post.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hrt_rulz01

@Shewgenja: I don't dislike PS at all. I've owned many PS consoles. Try again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Must sting for some to see LABO has done okay. Some of you guys have been so fucking desperate to see that fail.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Slightly on topic because of the meme: Has anyone else noticed Kratos doesn't yell "Boy!" anymore like he use to? Now it's more "Atreus, over here" type. I'm assuming one of the multiple patches changed it. Makes playing so much better lol. And congrats Sony of the crazy sales, including the ps plus sub increase... Maybe a small patch of free streaming games from PSNow for psplus members each month now? With over 600 games, it's the least they could do.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Your meme makes no sense... The dudes wearing a Sony shirt, holding a PS3 and smiling. It'd make more sense if he were kicking an xbox.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

@quadknight:

And for Yakuza 6 only retail units were counted on list.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 QuadKnight
@mowgly1 said:

@quadknight:

And for Yakuza 6 only retail units were counted on list.

Totally nuts.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

not much of an achievement, there were two billion less people in 1995, that's roughly 25 percent more people today.

Not to mention gaming got more popular in general, and cheaper too.

The price of games has hardly increased, a super nintendo game was 50 bucks back in the day, now it's 55-60, 50 bucks back in 1995 is the same as 84$ now.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@reduc_ab_ said:

This once and for all puts to rest the "exclusives don't matter" argument. What further proof could anybody possibly need?

Top quality games matter. Red Dead Redemption 2 will have the same effect. Gamers don't care if their awesome time is exclusive or not.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hrt_rulz01

@joshrmeyer: You get the idea.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#45 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

How badly could Labo have sold if it's #4 here? It was ranked highly in Japan too. I'm glad to see people have kids with some creativity left

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 QuadKnight
@commander said:

not much of an achievement, there were two billion less people in 1995, that's roughly 25 percent more people today.

The price of games has hardly increased, a super nintendo game was 50 bucks back in the day, now it's 55-60, 50 bucks back in 1995 is the same as 84$ now.

Dat damage control. By the same logic you're using the Xbone is a monumental flop of epic proportions since it's doing Gamecube era numbers in 2018.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

@quadknight:

Did you also realized how Sea Of Thieves break records for MS and niche game like MLB 18 outsold Sea Of Thieves?

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

And here I thought other platforms were more lucrative lol

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ReCloud

@commander:

Quote: "not much of an achievement, there were two billion less people in 1995, that's roughly 25 percent more people today.

The price of games has hardly increased, a super nintendo game was 50 bucks back in the day, now it's 55-60, 50 bucks back in 1995 is the same as 84$ now."

This is the biggest goalpost move I've ever seen here.

Now the size of world population counts? Where does that put Xbox one then?

Lol

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ReCloud

@locopatho: "Top quality games matter. Red Dead Redemption 2 will have the same effect. Gamers don't care if their awesome time is exclusive or not"

But only on ps4 you can have all third party and first part quality games