PS5 hits 38.4 million units sold! Record Q1! 500 million PS systems to date!!

• 54 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45314 Posts
https://www.gamesradar.com/as-ps5-sales-soar-sony-crosses-500-million-home-consoles-sold/

If the idea of 500 million PlayStation consoles being sold sounds familiar, well, Sony launched a limited-edition PS4 celebrating the milestone all the way back in 2018. Why the discrepancy? Sony's own measurement of the milestone likely would've included sales of portable consoles, and the PSP and Vita would add just shy of 100 million combined sales to the total.

Sponsored LinksPlay this game for 1 minute and see why everyone is addicted.Raid Shadow Legends

Some fans have been quick to note that this technically makes Sony the first console manufacturer to reach 500 million home consoles sold. That's technically true, but there are some substantial caveats to the stat. Sony only has two meaningful competitors for this milestone. One of them, Microsoft, launched the first Xbox after a full generation of wildly successful PS1 sales, so it doesn't have quite as much runway as Sony.

Wowza, Sony is on a roll. Just comes to show how popular the system is when stock is available.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Just a 100 million more to beat the Switch.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

Glad to part of the PS5 movement.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

They weren't kidding about improving stock, you can now walk to a store and pick one up here, retailers even cleared some of the GoW bundles with sales a month back

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts
@Litchie said:

Sony is well on their way catching up to Nintendo Switch, they are copying Nintendo tactics down to a T, already slowing down game development to a crawl.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Another sad day for lems :(

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

BS Jive has no games but at least the bovine brigade can play sales. lol :P

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic

@SecretPolice said:

Is that why Xbox is trying to buy all these publishers?

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

All these, “Sony is desperate” narratives are dead. The new narrative is now “Console sales don’t matter anymore. Phil said it’s all about monthly users!”

Just look at how the gaming revenue increased with the amount of consoles sale increases.

Now look at how Xbox’s gaming revenue declined with their console sales. It would have been worse if they didn’t rely on PC and Sony for revenue. More incentive for them to go third party.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2587 Posts

This is why it’s nice to see more than just the revenue numbers. PlayStation had a MONSTER quarter as far as revenue is concerned, but their spending was waaaaaaaaaay up as well, resulting in A -55.42% YoY result.

These results are still a “win”‘for the conventional model. PlayStation sticking to their guns for the most part has proven to be the best strategy

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@SecretPolice said:

Is that why Xbox is trying to buy all these publishers?

No, Uncle Phill told me they're only doing that because they know it triggers you. lol

RedFall in a few days baby... Ohhh yeah!!! :P

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39382 Posts

Scammers are getting destroyed with their massive stocks of ps5's🤣

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

If stock issues dont exist experts estimated PS5 to be selling around 46m already in this time frame.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

It is selling on hype and brand marketing alone. PS5 is easily the weakest PlayStation console so far in its life cycle. Very few memorable first and third party titles.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zero_epyon

@ghostofgolden said:

This is why it’s nice to see more than just the revenue numbers. PlayStation had a MONSTER quarter as far as revenue is concerned, but their spending was waaaaaaaaaay up as well, resulting in A -55.42% YoY result.

These results are still a “win”‘for the conventional model. PlayStation sticking to their guns for the most part has proven to be the best strategy

Must be all those acquisitions and investments in new studios and IPs. If Sony kept their costs down like Nintendo, they'd be swimming in money.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

Profit would have been quite a bit bigger if they didn't buy Bungie, that was straight out of rev

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic

@mysticaldonut said:

It is selling on hype and brand marketing alone. PS5 is easily the weakest PlayStation console so far in its life cycle. Very few memorable first and third party titles.

False, lots of great games and also has PS4 BC.

@Zero_epyon said:
@ghostofgolden said:

Must be all those acquisitions and investments in new studios and IPs. If Sony kept their costs down like Nintendo, they'd be swimming in money.

then we would have games that look like PS3 games still

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MysticalDonut

@SolidGame_basic: Not really. How many memorable third party titles have really come out since 2020? First party? 2022 ended great with God of War Ragnarok and Modern Warfare II but the wins are far and few between.

First party alone hasn't been memorable. Ragnarok and Forbidden West were just to be as expected. GT7 is pretty but destroyed by its horrible microtransactions. The best next gen Sony title so far has been Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. The only new IP is Returnal and it didn't make much of an impact, we already know Housemarque isn't even moving forward with a sequel and is working on another IP.

By the third year of PS3, we had the first Uncharted game, Warhawk, Motorstorm, Resistance Fall of Man, Littlebigplanet, Ratchet and Clank Future Tools of Destruction. Big third party hits like MGS4, COD4, Skate, the first Ass Creed, GTA4, DMC4, Fallout 3.

By this time in the PS4's life cycle, we had Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne...arguably more impactful than any of the titles released so far on PS5...

I get that COVID completely messed up development cycles but how long are we gonna pretend that that is the only problem today? And yes, PS4 backwards compatibility is a great feature. Most of the games I play on my PS5 are my PS4 games lmao.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zero_epyon

@SolidGame_basic said:
@mysticaldonut said:

False, lots of great games and also has PS4 BC.

@Zero_epyon said:
@ghostofgolden said:

then we would have games that look like PS3 games still

yup. And Sony understands their user base and the type of gamer they want to attract.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2587 Posts

@howmakewood said:

Profit would have been quite a bit bigger if they didn't buy Bungie, that was straight out of rev

They are also probably down because of PSVR2. There was a lot of costs that hit their books with its launch

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12340 Posts

Absolutely bonkers that they hit 6.3M. They essentially replicated a holiday season in January -> March.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

Congrats to Sony. Nice to see that stores are now well stocked. Also nice to see scalpers finally getting screwed over. Unfortunate that they were able to profit from it for this long though.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16576 Posts

@SecretPolice: lmao 🤣

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16576 Posts

@mysticaldonut: it's great that some cows recognize this. The ps5 is incredibly weak and has almost no games worth playing. The wierd part is, I have no desire to buy a ps5, which is funny because I bought a ps4 around 3 years into its cycle, and a ps3 when the slim model came out, which was also around 3 years in. I was always a ps haters, but I did end up buying a ps at some point.

I guess part of the reason is price too...at $500. But nowadays it's also a lack of time. 😔

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:

That's a fair point, but I don't know if it's the weakest "easily" at this point. I recall all but the OG had the majority of their best 1st/3rd party stuff after the midpoint of the cycle.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MysticalDonut

@shellcase86 said:
@mysticaldonut said:

That's a fair point, but I don't know if it's the weakest "easily" at this point. I recall all but the OG had the majority of their best 1st/3rd party stuff after the midpoint of the cycle.

They did and even the mid stuff of PS3-PS4 was better by this point. Outside of Ratchet and GOW, PS5 doesn't have much. Sackboy is pretty fun...

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

The most overrated console of all time. 😆

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

Despite laudable hardware sales, software appears be lacking substantially. Could be reflective of a mix of their first and third party offerings not compelling consumers to buy new games. There's also consumer economic factors. Still, long term having a larger userbase typically translates to better sales.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70008 Posts

@lamprey263: The economy feels like it is anxiety mode.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3088 Posts
Loading Video...

I honestly don't get it. This is the first Sony console since the PS2 that I don't own, and still have no desire to. I'm just not interested in anything they're offering. Same with the other consoles as well. Maybe I'm just broken.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:

Well their spending is way up because they properly report costs of acquisitions instead of burying it under another category - you know being transparent vs. obfuscating

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

@randy_lahey: given a large part of their FY revenues came from hardware, which has a much lower profit margin due to costs, could partially explain why the operating income declined. They did after all sell a lot of consoles. Software hasn't appeared to offset that, but then again this last fiscal year was a relatively slow one not just from first party offerings, but from third parties as well. Contrasted to the previous fiscal year when Sony had production issues, they also had much better software output proportionally, could in part explain the differences.

Overall I'd say though that getting more consoles out there is definitely a positive thing for them, that's going to be crucial to seeing higher title adoption rates going forward, which translates to higher revenues with greater profit margins, royalties etc. It's possibly easy to conflate economic anxieties these days because yeah it is a notably precarious and dynamic factor on consumer end. Though I generally felt this last fiscal years gaming consumer spending being lower probably had to do a lot more with lack of compelling titles releasing.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2953 Posts

@Litchie said:

More than 100 million, cos the Switch is still selling.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

@mysticaldonut:

I think that has more to do with what the pandemic did to the consoles and video games in general.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2953 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

The most overrated console of all time. 😆

Yup. And also the ugliest. PS4 was a far better console.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SolidGame_basic

^ jelly 😎

Jippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jippo
Member since 2018 • 183 Posts

so!

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

I don’t see what’s so appealing about the PS5. It must just be brand recognition because it doesn’t have a super impressive lineup of exclusive games.

I guess it’s Madden, Fortnite, and Call of Duty bros buying it up.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22819 Posts

@The_Deepblue said:

I don’t see what’s so appealing about the PS5. It must just be brand recognition because it doesn’t have a super impressive lineup of exclusive games.

It has a few decent games, but yeah, neither Xbox nor Playstation has offered me enough reasons to jump in this Gen. They're both kinda meh... I'd have been happy if they just kept feeding ps4 to be honest.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@The_Deepblue said:

It has a few decent games, but yeah, neither Xbox nor Playstation has offered me enough reasons to jump in this Gen. They're both kinda meh... I'd have been happy if they just kept feeding ps4 to be honest.

Yeah, as far as this gen goes. It is pretty bland. The only really exciting thigns have been the Steam Deck, and Switch, if you consider the Switch a Gen 9 console.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22819 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@TheEroica said:
@The_Deepblue said:

Yeah, as far as this gen goes. It is pretty bland. The only really exciting thigns have been the Steam Deck, and Switch, if you consider the Switch a Gen 9 console.

And BINGO was his name-o.... Totally agree.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SolidGame_basic

@TheEroica said:
@Maroxad said:
@TheEroica said:
@The_Deepblue said:

And BINGO was his name-o.... Totally agree.

You guys are literally playing ports on those machines 🤣

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 951 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:

As a PS fan I must agree. There's not one game for the system that makes me say "I must buy one". Still playing PS4 and kickin it. Still dont see no reason to fork 550€ for one. Sony even had the audacity to raise its price by 50€ after 2 years on the market on the knowledge that the perceived scarcity would make them sell them like hotcakes! Jim Ryan is destroying the PS brand. The clown cant get kicked out soon enough but with this much financial success, it seems he wont

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#45 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

@dimebag667:

I probably wouldn't have bought a PS5 at launch though owning one now, I don't regret the wait. Tons of backlog PS4 exclusives and PS5 games that take advantage of the DualSense controller haptic triggers.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

Who knew having games would sell consoles

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#47 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9735 Posts

Sony has to do their showcase of 1st party games coming soon.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11185 Posts

Deserved. They actually launched a system with games and have kept it relatively steady ever since. Had they not run into stock issues, it would have been an even bigger monster.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3088 Posts

@pillarrocks said:

@dimebag667:

I probably wouldn't have bought a PS5 at launch though owning one now, I don't regret the wait. Tons of backlog PS4 exclusives and PS5 games that take advantage of the DualSense controller haptic triggers.

Yeah, I really didn't care for the PS4 either, and can't think of any games on there that I haven't already played. I've played a couple games that utilized the triggers, but honestly, they kind of threw me off. Maybe I would get used to them over time. But when you expect a full pull and it resists halfway, it's a little jarring. It's like going to Long John Silver's and biting into what you think is chicken, but is in fact fish. Oh well, at least you're having a good time.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

That moment they realise after searching the store for redfall and Starfield they backed the wrong horse 🤣