Resident Evil 2 Remake is too hard!!

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

First off, I love this game. So please don't take my rant out of context. I just finished Claire's 1st run and I'm on Leon's 2nd run and I just can't with this game anymore! I love Resident Evil and I've always been a huge fan but I really don't remember RE2 being THIS hard. The knives break. There's hardly any ammo. Tyrant is unkillable. You need to board up windows to stop zombies from getting into the police station. THE GAME IS ACTUALLY SCARY! And there's no way to dodge enemy attacks. The list goes on...

So you know what I did? I took the cowardly route and chose to play it on Assisted. But even then, I STILL struggle with it! ? Is anyone else having the same problems? This game is on a whole 'nother level of hard and it's driving me crazy and I can't stop playing it because I love it but it's so friggin' hard!!

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Resident evil 2 has always been harder then most games. If you are struggling get gud.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59207 Posts

- Use the knife to check if zombies are alive. If you swipe them in wakeup they can't get up, knife does a shit ton of damage

Couple of things

- Don't waste shotguns on zombies unless you absolutely have too

- Boards are super important, always carry one when you can and use them on every possible window, you can also do it while a zombie is appearing at a window

- You don't ever have to fight lickers, all of them can be avoided

- Mr X can't get in the save room, stars office or clock tower

- It's better to see how far you can get before you die, then reloading and using an ink ribbon just before that point

- M+K makes the game significantly easier

- Keep backtracking to the locker so you have space

- It's a good idea to clear a clean path on both sides of the building to a (safe location) before you know Mr X is coming, and exploring properly when you come back up from sewers

- Alot of the wakeup animations can be simply be run past (sewer monsters)

- Whenever MR X is opening a door you can run through him

- Grenades are better thrown to take out large groups of zombies than as a defense for a single one

- Same with knife, use it on downed enemies to save ammo or wakeups than grab saves

- There is a secret door in the sewer that will let you come back up to police station, you can upgrade magnum

- Just use plain old pistol rounds on dogs, they die easily, just hard to hit

- When you're fighting plant zombies late in the game, once they are downed with flamethrower, just tap it once and watch them freak out, and keep doing this over and over until the body explodes into flame. They will all wake up again if you leave them

Mr X seems overwhelming but once you clear a path to pull him to the other side he's not a big deal, he can't outrun you and his attacks are pretty slow. Once you start firing it seems to give you about 2-3 minutes until he makes it back.

You can dodge enemy attacks, at least with single zombies. When they lung at you sprint back, the animation is long and you can bypass them.

BlueIon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BlueIon
Member since 2018 • 120 Posts

I actually just beat RE2 remake (Leon’s route), though I can’t brag cause it was on Assisted haha. I agree that the game can be difficult, I was struggling at certain parts even on assisted, I can’t imagine higher difficulties and I won’t even bother with the unwanted stress lol ?

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts
@nepu7supastar7 said:

And there's no way to dodge enemy attacks.

There's an entire extra game mode based around dodging enemy attacks.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

-You don't need to kill all the zombies you see. You just have to go around them, or at least make them less mobile by breaking off their legs.
-It's sometimes easier to just shoot them in the head, stun them for a short while and go around them.

-For the boards, you get like only 5. Look at the map. If you see an area or a big area that seems like you'll be going through the most, board them up.(Like the one near the dark room)

-Lickers are blind, but their sense of hearing is super snap. Do not run when you see or hear them in the room you are in. They can also smell you when you are near them, so take precautions when looking at a route. Use flashbangs to disorient them or carry a knife/flashbang always.

-I assume you haven't caught up with Mr X yet, but he's actually pretty easy to dodge. Just use a flashback or bait his punch and you'll be out in no time. If you're in a room with a lot of zombies/lickers, I suggest taking them out with an explosive or just plain loading a savefile because that will be really difficult to get around.

-Inventory management is key. If you happen to use a key item with a checkmark on it, discard it. It's no longer needed. Save up the high-grade ammo if you can because there will be large gunpowder later on the game that will give even more ammo apart from high-grade+high-grade.

-Old school resident evil, or survival horror generally, have always been about trial and error and taking your time. First runs are always about knowing the gameplay and tactics needed to progress through the game easier. Don't be discouraged if you have to reset a save game or your run itself. By the time you know the kinks, you'll be finishing a run in around 2 hours, maybe even less.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56285 Posts

RE2 remake is hard? Not even close compare to the original. The Map is the best thing in the series, use it and the Map save my life more times then I could think. The Map will tell you everything you found and discovered. You gotta plan your routes carefully. Take what you really need, use the storage to store whatever you don't need later on. The Knife kills the Lickers fast, they go down by slashing them and turning them into harmless animal. I found the best way to taking down zombies is to just shoot them in the knee until they fall to the ground and run right pass them. This is a survival game, I like to hoard ammo's until I'm ready to go all out.

As for Mr. X, he's the Terminator who walks like a Tank but he's slow and easy to outrun and the best thing to do is hide until he's gone. I do enjoy playing hide'n'seek with Mr. X :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@jasonofa36: The Lickers go down easy when slashing them with the Knife really fast but I only do that when you don't have a choice to go past them. They are blind and if they are looking at you, don't assume you been spotted, just turn around and walk slowly. Their easy to slip by.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts
@nepu7supastar7 said:

First off, I love this game. So please don't take my rant out of context. I just finished Claire's 1st run and I'm on Leon's 2nd run and I just can't with this game anymore! I love Resident Evil and I've always been a huge fan but I really don't remember RE2 being THIS hard. The knives break. There's hardly any ammo. Tyrant is unkillable. You need to board up windows to stop zombies from getting into the police station. And there's no way to dodge enemy attacks. The list goes on...

So you know what I did? I took the cowardly route and chose to play it on Assisted. But even then, I STILL struggle with it! ? Is anyone else having the same problems? This game is on a whole 'nother level of hard and it's driving me crazy and I can't stop playing it because I love it but it's so friggin' hard!!

1. Stop being a pussy.

2. Knifes break but there's plenty of them if you actually look.

3. There's plenty of ammo, even on hard I had more then I knew what to do with (Gun powder is your friend)

4. Why are you wasting ammo trying to kill him? At best you put him on his ass for 30 seconds......save your ammo and just and loose his tail on you.

5. There's plenty of window boards around.

6. Yes you can dodge zombies.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#10 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Really, Assisted is hard? Try playing on hardcore.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JasonOfA36

@davillain-: I didn't know about the knife haha. I'll try it, but I just usually go around them as most of the time, they're easy to go around, except for some parts. I saw an exploit where the boss fight with birkin was done with a single knife, and that's because the knife damage is tied to framerate. At 60 FPS, you'd need around 45 slashes to defeat birkin. At 200 something, you just need 22.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nepu7supastar7

@princessgomez92:

NO.WAY.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JasonOfA36

@princessgomez92: **** hardcore, but it's more fun and tense playing hardcore haha.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@davillain-:

Mr X actually made me jump a few times! lol It's so much scarier now that he can tell where you actually are! Being scary also made this game harder for me too.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#15 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@princessgomez92:

NO.WAY.

C'mon, you big chicken.

@jasonofa36 said:

@princessgomez92: **** hardcore, but it's more fun and tense playing hardcore haha.

I don't think I'd want it any other way. I'm still making my way through it, slowly.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nepu7supastar7

@princessgomez92:

You're out of your freaking mind to be playing it like that! It's scary enough as it is!

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

First off, I love this game. So please don't take my rant out of context. I just finished Claire's 1st run and I'm on Leon's 2nd run and I just can't with this game anymore! I love Resident Evil and I've always been a huge fan but I really don't remember RE2 being THIS hard. The knives break. There's hardly any ammo. Tyrant is unkillable. You need to board up windows to stop zombies from getting into the police station. And there's no way to dodge enemy attacks. The list goes on...

Really? That's just great. Was truly hoping they went with how in the original RE2 you can "kill" Tyrant if you shoot him enough (Think he also drops magnum bullets or Grenade casings). Being honest though, I always ran from him whenever he showed up during my original runs lol. Only found out he was "killable" years later when I got tired of being chased by him and wanted to fight back....

Of course, that's not a deal breaker for me as I still intend on getting RE2Make soon. Played the demo and had a hint that it was gonna be challenging. But I think that it adds to the "horror" and "survival" theme of the game, which is good for a game of this type...

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JasonOfA36

@tocool340: Tyrant just kneels when you put enough bullets on him and he doesn't drop anything.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By scatteh316

I only played it at night in the pitch black and with headphones on full blast............ it becomes a completely different game like that.

It's 'survival horror' - Most people get the 'survival' part but don't get to experience the 'horror' part playing it in a lit room with sound through the TV.

eamonn79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 eamonn79
Member since 2019 • 4 Posts

Practise

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

I think almost all games want you to shoot or kill at everything that moves (or at least wanting to make the player do that). But RE2 is one of the few games that wants you to think b4 you shoot.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4198 Posts

Don't be afraid to run away from zombies. You don't have to kill every single one, and if you try to, you're gonna have a bad time.

Jenniferserg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jenniferserg
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

I am always playing on hardcore - it's amazing game

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I died for the first time a couple nights ago. I was running from Mr X past a bunch of lickers. You can imagine it didn't end well.

I was not expecting him in scenario A.

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

Not that I'm complaining, but it seems people as a whole have gotten worse at video games as time went on. I've met quite a few people who think the Mafia Chef boss in "A Hat in Time," is impossible. That really perplexes me, as it isn't really any more difficult than your average Platformer boss from the N64 days. Just avoid his attacks, and attack him when he glows.

In terms of RE2, however, I've never played the original, but in the remake, every time I get bit by a zombie, I feel I'm the only one to blame. At least the game isn't a cheap shot.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 scatteh316
@Telekill said:

I died for the first time a couple nights ago. I was running from Mr X past a bunch of lickers. You can imagine it didn't end well.

I was not expecting him in scenario A.

It caught a lot people off guard, including me and bravo to Capcom for mixing it up and catching people out.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@tocool340:

Do yourself a favor and skip the deluxe version and season pass. It's crap with a bunch of lame costumes. The only DLC worth having are the Samurai Edge and Classic BGM/SFX. And you can buy them separately for cheap. Other stuff like Classic costumes and Survival are already in the game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@nepu7supastar7: The only reason you are thinking it's hard is because most newer gamers who never played the original but ended up playing this one are used to games hand-holding it seems.

RE2 remake has new features that make it easier this time then the original version. There are automatic checkpoints, no ink ribbons needed for saving, inventory management seems easier, the map is extremely detailed and labels items and types of doors. There's probably more, and I haven't completed normal mode yet, but all those features make it really enjoyable for me. It's still challenging, but not as punishing as the older version.

To the people saying "Mr. X is too much", Do not play RE3 Remake!!! (well it's obviously in the works) if you can't handle Mr. X, Nemesis will be the bane of anyone's existence.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@jasonofa36 said:

@davillain-: I didn't know about the knife haha. I'll try it, but I just usually go around them as most of the time, they're easy to go around, except for some parts. I saw an exploit where the boss fight with birkin was done with a single knife, and that's because the knife damage is tied to framerate. At 60 FPS, you'd need around 45 slashes to defeat birkin. At 200 something, you just need 22.

I was totally unaware the Knife is tied to the damaging framerate. And I'm playing above 60fps, I thought the knife damage was some kind of secret weapon that Capcom did on their own to make the game at least easier when dealing with Lickers lol.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

Automatic checkpoints definitely make it easier I remember having to backtrack for ink on the original. I think it was important they kept the games core to make it feel like the original but refreshed in the right areas they've done a very impressive job overall.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@davillain-:

But I DID play the original games! Maybe I've just been spoiled by today's games that I forgot what playing this kinda stuff was like. I dunno.

I was hoping that it would be easier like the Dualshock versions. But I never expected them to make it like this! It's like, I love RE2 Remake and hate it at the same time. Whenever I played the original games with my brothers, I used to let them do most of the actual and I just watched most of it. Maybe that might have had a hand in it too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

It's funny how anytime that we have a revival of retro games from the 80s and 90s such as Crash Bandicoot, DuckTales, Mega Man, Resident Evil, etc.; people says that it's too hard even though they are usually still easier than the originals were.

Proof that modern games have become too easy and have made modern-only gamers unused to a real challenge like games from the 80s and 90s delivered. I can't wait to see how gamers that are not used to the difficulty of retro games will react to the new BattleToads game (Assuming Microsoft maintains the high difficulty that the series is known for).

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59207 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

It's funny how anytime that we have a revival of retro games from the 80s and 90s such as Crash Bandicoot, DuckTales, Mega Man, Resident Evil, etc.; people says that it's too hard even though they are usually still easier than the originals were.

Proof that modern games have become too easy and have made modern-only gamers unused to a real challenge like games from the 80s and 90s delivered. I can't wait to see how gamers that are not used to the difficulty of retro games will react to the new BattleToads game (Assuming Microsoft maintains the high difficulty that the series is known for).

One review I read today listed "it was hard to find certain ammo" as a -

That's, the point.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
@davillain- said:

The only reason you are thinking it's hard is because most newer gamers who never played the original but ended up playing this one are used to games hand-holding it seems.

RE2 remake has new features that make it easier this time then the original version. There are automatic checkpoints, no ink ribbons needed for saving, inventory management seems easier, the map is extremely detailed and labels items and types of doors. There's probably more, and I haven't completed normal mode yet, but all those features make it really enjoyable for me. It's still challenging, but not as punishing as the older version.

To the people saying "Mr. X is too much", Do not play RE3 Remake!!! (well it's obviously in the works) if you can't handle Mr. X, Nemesis will be the bane of anyone's existence.

Don't forget about the obvious change, the third person over the shoulder view. That's not to say it makes the game easier, but not being at the mercy of static camera views make a world of difference. Can't tell you how many times I died in the original because I couldn't see what was coming at me as I ran around a corner or wasting bullets because I was shooting at something off-screen...

Yeah, I can already imagine the complaints Nemesis is gonna create. Considering Nemesis arsenal, kinda wondering if they are gonna somehow nerf him....

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@storm_of_swords:

But what makes RE2 Remake a different case is that they added certain obstacles to make it harder than before! I never had to worry about knives breaking! Or constantly combining powder to get bullets! Or zombies being able to break through doors!

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

Beat Leons campaign on normal without any assistance ? Claire was a bit hard at first, but once i unlocked grenade launcher it was a walk in the park.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

RE 2 remake is a throwback to how games used to be.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

I just beat on standard difficulty ( no assist). I did Leon scenario 1 and Claire scenario 2. Now I'm going to replay vice versa.

I thought Claire's was harder mainly because she gets three pistols and the 45c six shooter is absolute trash. It has no upgrades and it seems the game gives you alot of ammo for it. So I would use my shitty gun to clear out zombies and save the valuable rounds for things like lickers. Once Leon gets fully upgraded weapons he wrecks shit.

hugoadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 hugoadan
Member since 2009 • 201 Posts

during my first playthrough i got to the final boss with 12 bullets left in my handgun and like 6 in the shotgun, no healing items either but my health was full so i thought i could make it anyway. i was playing on standard by the way... and nope, it was impossible for me to beat him with what i got. so i had no other choice but to lower the difficulty. even after that i died a couple of times more before taking him out. but yeah, the RE2 remake is a great game man. like other people say, you don't have to kill everything in your path. save your ammo for tougher enemies and just run away from mr x, that's what im doing now, lol!

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#40 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I'm maybe half way through Leon's story on normal (blindly guessing based on hour estimates i've heard), haven't found it overly difficult but it is scary and intense. got into a situation last night where I had 0 bullets, which made things interesting, helped me embrace the art of running away.

I think i've only died once though up to this point

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11195 Posts

It should be a little tough. But it's not even as tough as old school RE because it has auto saves and you can save at a typewriter any time unless you play on hard. Stop worrying about trying to kill everything and keep yourself moving. This is a much more kinetic RE experience. It you're a vet of the series, you know that exploration and item management is key.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nepu7supastar7

I really appreciate everyone's hints and tips but I just wanted to hear more of what people thought of the game as far as difficulty goes or if I'm the only one having problems.

But still, thanks, guys! It's really sweet of you!

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Ok... now Mr.X is more annoying than anything. He just seems to always be in the way. I'm trying to move shelves in the library but the freaking retard is camping the lobby.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

@Telekill said:

Ok... now Mr.X is more annoying than anything. He just seems to always be in the way. I'm trying to move shelves in the library but the freaking retard is camping the lobby.

I laughed so hard on this post, you just worded what I was feeling.

On topic, gaming is stressful and it requires mastery, I can see myself improving at it if I play more.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Seems pretty normal to me.

Was laughing my ass off when I let my brother played. He got up to the part where Mr. X appears and he was hoarded with lickers in almost every room, some with 2 lickers. He ran panicking and rage quit.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Seriously, just practise until you're good.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#47 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Nah.. its just right with the normal difficulty (no assist)..on my 2nd part play through..once I am done with 4 play through will go for hard.. :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@2mrw said:
@Telekill said:

I laughed so hard on this post, you just worded what I was feeling.

On topic, gaming is stressful and it requires mastery, I can see myself improving at it if I play more.

Since playing RE2 Remake, I noticed Mr. X won't enter these rooms:

• Save room.
  • Clock tower for obvious reasons it's too friggin small.
  • S.T.A.R.S room.

The dude's not that hard to outrun him, when you hear the footsteps, just walk slowly so you can pinpoint where he's at. He definitely ramps up the tension. Whether or not he's a threat almost entirely depends on if you know where to go and what to do or not. If you know where you need to be, it's easy to clear the way and keep him off you. If, however, you've also left a ton of zombies alive, because you can't realistically kill them all, and are still running laps around the PD trying to figure out what to do next, then the combination of Mr. X and everything else is a serious threat. It is thrilling for me when he is chasing you alongside a couple of zombies and a licker and you accidentally put yourself at a dead end and you have to blast your way out. Excellent addition.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

I don’t think the game is hard at all. You can abuse the zombie’s grab animation against them and run right past them. I had a shit tonne of ammo saved up.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nepu7supastar7

@SOedipus:

I realized that but it's no fun running from them. I love killing zombies. It's 90% of what makes Resident Evil awesome.