SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45263 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-hd-review-link-to-the-past/1900-6417698/

Damn.. this is a franchise low for a major Zelda console game. Will you be getting the game, SW? I plan to since I never played the original.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22783 Posts

I'm only mildly interested in playing this Zelda. Never liked the idea of motion controls for a main gameplay approach... Even with the remapping it seems like this one isn't best in series.

Still, if it goes on sale.... Lol, who am I kidding. It'll he 60 clams 5 years from now. Thanks Nintendo!

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1044 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I'm not a big Zelda fan, so no. I did buy BoTW, didn't care for it. I bought Link's Awakening and did enjoy that. I'm sure this will sell well though. Nintendo wouldn't keep bringing back old games to the Switch if it wasn't worth their while.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56227 Posts

Standards are higher for games now than they were back in 2011 and Skyward sword flaws are well known at this point low 80s is what it should have gotten but people were distracted sword motion controls. That said, I already stated I'm not getting this HD at all.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16564 Posts

well the score isn't altogether surprising, since the original got an 8/10 I believe...so I don't think anyone was hyping this to be a 10/10. Back in the day it was a pretty big dissapointment at the time since it was hyped up to be the next OoT. But I did play the game, on my Wii U, and while it wasn't the greatest, I still enjoyed it and completed the whole game. Out of all the zeldas to date, this one is most similar to OoT.

also the thing I questioned the most about this game is that how can you remaster a game on the switch?? Is this switch hardware even good enough to push true HD?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

I wanted to try out a gimmick free version of this game, with regular buttons.

But then I realised that the gimmicks are the game. You can force it to have button controls, but that'll just be a gimped way of playing.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34674 Posts

Yeah, a good game ruined by padding and other annoyances. And they didn't fix all of them. I'd say it's a 6, 7 max.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34674 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: I believe you're thinking of Twilight Princess, dude.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39240 Posts

A mainline Zelda that is barely sitting in the 80's? Reminds me of that MS flagship title.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#10  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Well yeah, it's Skyward Sword.

Still baffles the Hell out of me that this thing exists. I mean, I know Nintendo likes to bank on nostalgia - that's just their MO. But what kind of a bizarre gelatinous creature has nostalgia for Skyward fucking Sword?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Honestly, it deserves a lower score. Worst Zelda game period.

They should have ported over Twilight Princess and Wind Waker to the Switch instead. They already had the work done of making them HD.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts

I am only somewhat interested mainly as I never played it on Wii.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Zelda people are completionist they need every zelda this is fine it'll sell like hot cakes and nobody cares about the ratings.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#14 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

OOT/TP/MM and WW games should be made.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

@Telekill said:

Honestly, it deserves a lower score. Worst Zelda game period.

They should have ported over Twilight Princess and Wind Waker to the Switch instead. They already had the work done of making them HD.

I am sure this is coming at some point next year

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15947 Posts

Still irks me how the **** original game got 93/100 meta. Pretty much sums up nintendo title, even though boring, repetitive and unimaginative still gets high marks because its Nintendo. Glad times not been kind to the title.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11155 Posts

I keep telling people, it's hard to go back to old Zelda after Breath of the Wild. I kind of liked this game when it came out, but games like this are Zelda's past. BotW did for Zelda what GTAIII did for Grand Theft Auto. It's a whole new dimension now, and these reviews reflect that

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

@Litchie said:

Yeah, a good game ruined by padding and other annoyances. And they didn't fix all of them. I'd say it's a 6, 7 max.

My exact same thoughts ...

This is one of the few Zelda games i had to push myself in order to get through some of the padding between dungeons ... i would say is a 7 because the dungeons are great and there are some charming elements here and there, not to mention the music which is amazing, but yeah ... barely a 7.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56227 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Well yeah, it's Skyward Sword.

Still baffles the Hell out of me that this thing exists. I mean, I know Nintendo likes to bank on nostalgia - that's just their MO. But what kind of a bizarre gelatinous creature has nostalgia for Skyward fucking Sword?

All I want is the Oracle games to get the remake treatment, not this Zelda game. Skyward Sword HD was the last thing on my mind and this is coming from a Zelda fan.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#20  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
@davillain- said:

All I want is the Oracle games to get the remake treatment, not this Zelda game. Skyward Sword HD was the last thing on my mind and this is coming from a Zelda fan.

Heh. Maybe they're banking on Zelda fans craving more remakes of their favourite Zelda games, and are therefore compelled to buy it anyway in hope of spinning the wheel one more time.

As for what Nintendo gets out of it besides money; I dunno, validation maybe? "Hey look how well it's selling, maybe it wasn't as bad as everyone say it was after all," before taking turns patting themselves on the back and learning nothing.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

I do not understand why a 7 is considered "bad" .. to me a 7 shows it is an ok game that could be better but you will have fun playing

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Yeah, 6 -7 sounds about right even with the improvements. The 7.5 for the original that people lost their shit over actually seemed generous if anything. But hey, gamer scale.

Still a better game than a lot of the shit this forum hypes though.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

Played all the Zeldas... and this one is totally passable.

That being said, there are some great moments in the final act, and all the bosses are really good in this. This was the first Zelda to deviate from the 'must use item in cave to beat cave boss' approach. A lot of the fights are straight sword clashes... and are done well.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@davillain-: I've heard good things about the Oracle games but have never played them. I'd be up for a remake like the original Gameboy game got.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

There is really no saving Skyward Sword, the game is fundamentally tied into it's stupid motion controls. Even if you smooth that out with a button option, you're still left with shallow gimmicks at the forefront of the entire gameplay experience. That model certainly can't make up for the horrendous amount of padding and handholding the game forces on you. You'd basically just need to make a completely different game for it to reach the level it should be at.

I like me some Zelda but seriously, **** Skyward Sword, HD or no HD.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

well the score isn't altogether surprising, since the original got an 8/10 I believe...so I don't think anyone was hyping this to be a 10/10. Back in the day it was a pretty big dissapointment at the time since it was hyped up to be the next OoT. But I did play the game, on my Wii U, and while it wasn't the greatest, I still enjoyed it and completed the whole game. Out of all the zeldas to date, this one is most similar to OoT.

also the thing I questioned the most about this game is that how can you remaster a game on the switch?? Is this switch hardware even good enough to push true HD?

Switch is about 50 x more powerful than Wii so yes it's 1080p and 60 fps... unlike other Nintendo games though, this one doesn't look all that great at 1080p because the artstyle does not lend to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Well deserved. This game was bad then and it's bad now. It should've gotten a lower score.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NNoyingHusband

A 7/10 on GS is considered a flop. At least in the early 00's around here it was. Does this still apply? Do we get to call it a flop?

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Casey-Wegner

@nnoyinghusband said:

A 7/10 on GS is considered a flop. At least in the early 00's around here it was. Does this still apply? Do we get to call it a flop?

The Wii version got a 7.5 at GS 10 years ago so this is hardly surprising.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

@nnoyinghusband said:

A flop is dictated by whether a game hits its hyped score or not. thats the old rules anyway. so a 9 could be a flop if it was hyped a 10. whereas an 8 would not be a flop if it's hype was 8. also note that it was the gamespot score and that score alone that dictated a games score. ah the days of some desperately clinging on to metacritic.....good times :P.

I dont recall any hype thread for this so not a flop i dont think. it could be argued its a flop by zelda standards though i suppose.

Anywho i wont be getting it. I have the wii version so i will just go back and play that if desired. it was mechanically interesting but its structure was disappointing (people were shouting for an overhaul for zelda by this point).

It could be an interesting basis for a zelda Vr is nintendo ever decide to go down that route.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I quit playing the wii version because I hated the motion controls so I figured the normal controls would fix that issue. That doesn't look to be the case. The button control issues stated in the review don't seem any better (flicking analog sticks to attack, holding the stick forward and pressing ZL to just throw a bomb, holding L down with the analog to move the camera). Even the videos I've seen show the player constantly hitting ZL to snap the unresponsive camera behind them while platforming just to keep the view open. It's 2021. The days of babysitting the camera, let alone requiring dramamine to keep up with it should be a thing of the past.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NNoyingHusband

@osan0: I forgot to factor in if it wasn't hyped or not. Thanks for that info.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

If I can get the amiibo on day one I'll buy the game, if not, I won't.

Also, another low outlier score by lamespot, big surprise.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#34 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2581 Posts

I keep wishing this myself since they started remaking zelda games.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16564 Posts

@casey-wegner said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Switch is about 50 x more powerful than Wii so yes it's 1080p and 60 fps... unlike other Nintendo games though, this one doesn't look all that great at 1080p because the artstyle does not lend to it.

you're probably right, ive been surprised by the graphics of the switch in more than a few times, mainly smash bros, mario kart, and BOTW.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidGame_basic  Online

Meh, I kinda want to cancel my order, but it's too late lol. At least I got it for $50 plus poster lol.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

What's there left to say that already hasn't been said? It's the worst 3D Zelda and designed around motion controls. You can't just take the motion controls out without remaking the game completely but then that leaves you with a lot of not-that-engaging gameplay.

I'm still getting it day 1. Zelda is my favorite franchise, and I haven't played the game since 2013. Hoping to score a pair of those Zelda controllers too.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
@TheEroica said:

Still, if it goes on sale.... Lol, who am I kidding. It'll he 60 clams 5 years from now. Thanks Nintendo!

The equivalent of a Nintendo game going on sale is buying it used at a discount.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

Dolphins are cool.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

No thank you, I hated it on the Wii and I’m sure I’ll hate it now. I’ll go pick any other Zelda game from the last 15 years and be much happier.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Meh, I kinda want to cancel my order, but it's too late lol. At least I got it for $50 plus poster lol.

Just sell it unopened for 50 and keep the poster ;)

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7217 Posts

It’s hard for any of the old Zeldas to score good after BotW. Wind Waker would be a 6/10 and a pain in the behind.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Oof

With that being said, I'd love to replay it but not I'm not purchasing an overpriced last gen handheld in order to do so. I sold my Switch after beating Link's awakening.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They should have just ported Wind Waker HD.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hardwenzen

This game is killing me. And this is $60. Simply pathetic.

Conker on the original Xbox😊🤭😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidGame_basic  Online

@hardwenzen: it will look good in OLED

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hardwenzen

@SolidGame_basic said:

@hardwenzen: it will look good in OLED

Better colors won't change the N64 geometry detail lol

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#48 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69816 Posts

@mesome713 said:

It’s hard for any of the old Zeldas to score good after BotW. Wind Waker would be a 6/10 and a pain in the behind.

Wind Waker is a better game to BOTW for me.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

I would give anything for a Wind Waker remake on the Switch. I don't have a Wii U so unfortunately I couldnt get that version.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@darktruth007 said:

I would give anything for a Wind Waker remake on the Switch. I don't have a Wii U so unfortunately I couldnt get that version.

Oh boy would it look great on the Switch OLED screen.

Second favorite Zelda behind BOTW

Skyward Sword is newer but aged like spilt milk in comparison.